Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Lynskey now available at Nashbar

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Lynskey now available at Nashbar

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-15, 10:14 AM

Bikes: Colnago CLX,GT Karakoram,Giant Revel, Kona Honk_ Tonk

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cale
Sorry, I get a little wound up when Diamondback gets associated with Schwinn. You don't know Diamondback but I worked as a trusted supplier to the company for over 17 years. They don't sell only through Nashbar, they also sell through Performance, Sports Authority, etc., and the move to selling through mass-merchandisers was a strategic decision made 10 years or more ago. Formerly a good brand? They'll laugh all the way to the bank at Accell. (Accell bought Raleigh America some years back and acquired Diamondback in the process.)
I have to say that this has been an interesting thread. I do not find any problem with Performance or with Nashbar. Nor do I have a problem with BD. They have a niche and they fill it well. I do understand what people mean by Diamondback and GT cheapening their brand though when they sold off. I remember when they were more prestigious. GT was an awesome maker of mtb back in the early 90's before they got purchased by the larger company. I am a long time rider of their products. I still have my old mtb from 1993 but I would not buy a new GT. The company has lost their mojo in my opinion. Same for Diamondback.
As for Performance and Nashbar to a lesser extent, I love them. They do not carry bike brands that I want but I do not view Fuji or Ridley as "cheap" bikes. In fact, they are quite nice and just as high of quality as any other bike in their competitive range. I have a Performance near my office and visit it frequently. They are outstanding for buying racks, clothes and etc. I highly recommend them, especially to a first time buyer. They offer a great value on entry level bikes. I wish that they were open when I first started riding road bikes as I could have saved some money on my first one.
They do not sell "cheap" products. They sell all levels of grousets and etc. I happen to like Italian bikes and Campy so I can't get get those there but I can get just about anything else there and feel good about it. I love my LBS but they do not sell any clothes and their choices for most things like shoes, helmets and accessories is limited. Performance carries just about everything in the store. If they sold Colnago or De Rosa, I would definitely buy one there and not feel like it is anything less than what it is. Their Ridley Fenix is just as nice as any Trek, Specialized and etc that is equipped in a similar fashion. The fact that you can get a Ridley for those prices is awesome.
Old 12-22-15, 10:39 AM

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Liked 3,934 Times in 2,053 Posts
Another positive for Nashbar is their amazing return policy. Anyone buying a bike sight unseen has the safety net of no-questioned-asked super-cheap return.
Old 12-22-15, 10:41 AM

Bikes: Merlin Extra Light, Orbea Orca, Ritchey Outback,Tomac Revolver Mountain Bike, Cannondale Crit 3.0 now used for time trials.

Liked 56 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
Actually, it is Performance that originated (and is still headquartered) in North Carolina. Nashbar started in Columbus, Ohio or a town in that vicinity.
Oh yea, Youngstown, Ohio. But did I not hear that Performance owns them?
Old 12-22-15, 10:45 AM

Bikes: Merlin Extra Light, Orbea Orca, Ritchey Outback,Tomac Revolver Mountain Bike, Cannondale Crit 3.0 now used for time trials.

Liked 56 Times in 35 Posts
And I too will say that I have no problem with Nashbar selling Lynskey. I ride a Ti Merlin and the more Ti bikes on the road is right with me! But, Lynskey is one of the premiere titanium builders out there and Nashbar is more typically associated with closeouts and more budget branded stuff - nothing at all wrong with that, however... But then again, Sierra Trading Post sells Colnogo, Time, and DeRosa frames, so go figure...
Old 12-22-15, 11:00 AM

Liked 647 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by Fox Farm
Yes, Performance bought Nashbar long ago. They're both under the same company.
Old 12-22-15, 11:19 AM
South Carolina Ed

Bikes: Holdsworth custom, Macario Pro, Ciocc San Cristobal, Viner Nemo, Cyfac Le Mythique, Giant TCR, Tommasso Mondial, Cyfac Etoile

Liked 304 Times in 144 Posts
Sounds like everybody thinks highly of Nashbar as I do, so it might actually be a step up the business ladder for Lynskey.
Old 12-22-15, 11:29 AM

Bikes: Steel 1x's

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Before this thread:

Moots
Seven
Lynskey
Litespeed
Schwinn
Diamondback
Huffy

After this thread:

Moots
Seven
Litespeed
Schwinn
Diamondback
Lynskey
Huffy

Old 12-22-15, 01:58 PM

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Fox Farm
Yes, now.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 12-22-15, 02:04 PM

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Originally Posted by Jarrett2
Before this thread:

Moots
Seven
Lynskey
Litespeed
Schwinn
Diamondback
Huffy

After this thread:

Moots
Seven
Litespeed
Schwinn
Diamondback
Lynskey
Huffy

And deep down in our hearts of hearts we all really know that Moots and Seven are just blingmeisters, extracting exorbitant prices on the basis of name and mystique. Their stuff is no better than Lynskey's in any respect. And when it comes to ugly frames, no one even gets close to Seven's hybrid material glued tube and lug contraptions. Those should be against the law.

Just my opinion, freely expressed. Your comments are always welcome.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 12-22-15, 02:13 PM
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Liked 7,207 Times in 3,725 Posts
And deep down in our hearts of hearts we all really know that Moots and Seven are just blingmeisters, extracting exorbitant prices on the basis of name and mystique. Their stuff is no better than Lynskey's in any respect. And when it comes to ugly frames, no one even gets close to Seven's hybrid material glued tube and lug contraptions. Those should be against the law.
You're either trolling or crazy.

Which is it?
Old 12-22-15, 02:14 PM
Administrator

Either way, you are going to have to wash your mouth out with soap.
Old 12-22-15, 02:24 PM
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
Isn't Moots who invaded Spain in the 8th century?
Old 12-22-15, 02:29 PM
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Liked 343 Times in 211 Posts
Originally Posted by RPK79
Isn't Moots who invaded Spain in the 8th century?

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 12-22-15, 02:32 PM

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I have nothing but good things to say about Nashbar. They offer a decent variety and some of their sales are nice! We need more US bike retailers like that.
Old 12-22-15, 02:34 PM
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Nachoman
Old 12-22-15, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by BillyD
You're either trolling or crazy.

Which is it?
Why not both?

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 12-22-15, 03:00 PM

Bikes: Allez/Motobecane 427HT & Ti/Soma Custom Build

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
FWIW, I don't see bling in Moots frames. Have never ridden one, so no ideal about the ride. But bling? I think not. Grey is as bling free as you can get. Outside of the frame, the components are wheels, gears, brakes, handlebars etc. Nothing bling about them IMHO.

At least with Lynskey, you can get a shiny brushed Titanium frame, even if having it brushed costs and extra $300 .
Old 12-22-15, 03:07 PM

Liked 17,487 Times in 8,180 Posts
Originally Posted by cale
I'm afraid what you write is true and that anyone making Ti frames in the US is in "danger" of losing their job.
What if they own the business that is making the Ti frames? This fellow is doing quite well: Engin Cycles | Handmade Titanium Bicycles Philadelphia, PA
Old 12-22-15, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by quicktrigger
FWIW, I don't see bling in Moots frames. Have never ridden one, so no ideal about the ride. But bling? I think not. Grey is as bling free as you can get. Outside of the frame, the components are wheels, gears, brakes, handlebars etc. Nothing bling about them IMHO.

At least with Lynskey, you can get a shiny brushed Titanium frame, even if having it brushed costs and extra $300 .
Just making the point that the difference between Moots and Lynskey is fluff, nothing of significance.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 12-22-15, 03:47 PM
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Liked 9,573 Times in 4,427 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
What if they own the business that is making the Ti frames? This fellow is doing quite well: Engin Cycles | Handmade Titanium Bicycles Philadelphia, PA
How do you like yours??
Old 12-22-15, 04:48 PM
Administrator

Just making the point that the difference between Moots and Lynskey is fluff, nothing of significance.
To each his own opinion.
Old 12-22-15, 05:00 PM
Just Plain Slow

Bikes: Lynskey R230

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
To each his own opinion.
Hey...IT'S FACT. I ride a Lynskey so it would hurt my feelings if someone said Moots is better. Then again, if I had a couple extra grand laying around when I bought my Lynskey....I'd still have a Lynskey, just with better stuff hung on it!
Old 12-22-15, 05:34 PM
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Liked 9,573 Times in 4,427 Posts
I considered a Lynskey several years ago, but I need custom geometry and am on a budget. Ended up with my Habanero and am pleased with it.
Old 12-22-15, 05:35 PM

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
Yeah Schwinn is owned by a different company than Diamondback.

Pacific Cycle
Schwinn is owned by Dorel, which also owns the Cannondale, GT and Sugoi brands. Schwinn IBD bikes are high quality bikes sold through bike shops.
Old 12-22-15, 06:54 PM
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Liked 2,369 Times in 1,575 Posts

Just my opinion, freely expressed. Your comments are always welcome.
You can guess where my name came from. But if I was getting a new Ti I think it would be Moots. Just in terms of appearance, welds, and finish, I think Moots and Seven can't be beat.

I agree with you though on the Seven combo Ti and CF. It combines the worse properties of the materials instead of the best. I like the looks but not the ride.

Last edited by StanSeven; 12-22-15 at 09:26 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.