Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

2018! The “How was your commute?” thread!

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

2018! The “How was your commute?” thread!

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-18, 09:05 AM

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Circuit, 1986 Schwinn Passage, 1987 Shogun Katana, 2018 Giant Anyroad Advanced, 2013 Karate Monkey

Liked 269 Times in 93 Posts
Well yesterdays commute was horrible, because it was the first time in about 3 months I drove in. Woke up to 30 mph crosswinds with strong chances for a microburst.

My most direct route to work is only 1.35 miles but I have been stretching it out to about 7 miles on the way in and depending on how my day went I'll sometimes add a few to the ride home.
Old 06-14-18, 09:41 AM
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Liked 3,059 Times in 1,729 Posts
Yesterday a pedestrian jumped in front of me really close to me. I think it was half my fault. I yelped loudly, and she stepped back and apologized. By the time I could apologize too, we were too far apart.

I don't mind locking my Raleigh up in the street for short periods, so I did that at the blood center last night. Today I took my Lemond and rode like a bat out of hell. I played Cat 6 commuter with a couple of guys on the path. First there was a young guy on a MTB. He was moving pretty fast. We played leapfrog a little. Then came along someone on a Bianchi track bike in freewheel mode. He was going even faster, so I latched onto him (but far back enough not to draft, as we don't do that here), and we left the young guy behind. I appreciated the pacing. I arrived all sweaty, which is OK. My office is overchilled, so I was dry after a bit.

We've had some of the best weather of the year in the last couple of weeks. It doesn't get better than this.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 06-14-18, 10:59 AM

Bikes: Fairdale Weekender Drop, Motobecane 29LTD, Cannondale H400, Basso Coral

Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Big weather change after storms yesterday, was 54F this morning. It was a nice morning ride until a woman on a cargo bike went flying by me. When we both got stopped at an intersection I realized her monster bike had e-assist. What is with all these e-bikes all of the sudden?
Old 06-14-18, 11:01 AM

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Was a nice park and ride into work this morning. Taking it easier this week since I did all that riding from home last week. Think I'll ride from home tomorrow since it should also be good weather and light traffic usually on Fridays. I've been neglecting the general bike cleaning lately. I even bought a brush kit to clean with a bucket of soap and water. However, the problem is that the brushes eventually get caked up with muck. What would you guys use to clean the brushes?
Old 06-15-18, 06:36 AM

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Trek 5000 TCT, Giant OCR

Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
Not quite as warm and muggy as yesterday and I arrived at the office much less sweaty. I left an hour early and went to the gym for some lifting and stretching.

I narrowly missed a squirrel that decided he had to cross the road just as I was getting to him.
Old 06-15-18, 07:06 AM

Bikes: 2018 Giant Roam 2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yesterday was strong headwinds for half my commute to work and back. Had a close call when I was already in the crosswalk in front of a gals car and she just figured she could go. I think the passenger brought it to her attention because she wasn't even looking at me. So thanks to that guy, good looking out. Today was the same windy weather but on top of that 70F with almost oppressive humidity. Pretty sweaty ride in.
Old 06-15-18, 07:26 AM

Bikes: Fairdale Weekender Drop, Motobecane 29LTD, Cannondale H400, Basso Coral

Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
TGIF... not a particularly eventful week but legs were jelly this morning. Morning temps 63F - expected low 90's for this afternoon
Old 06-15-18, 10:17 AM
GATC

Liked 55 Times in 32 Posts
59F, gray. Took 23 mile route in. Was planning the same route home but massive closure toward the end, road being paved, traffic flagged in all directions and need to wait for pilot rig to follow back. Too much work and I am not that patient. Also not thrilled to caravan my bicycle w/ all the equally impatient cagers waiting for that pilot rig.
Old 06-15-18, 11:17 AM
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Interesting that we're having different weather than some other areas. Sometimes it's basically the same in the northeast as in the midwest and the southeast. I've been reading about heavy rain in some places and about very hot days in other places. Here it has been extremely pleasant and cool. People complain about how spring doesn't bring us much spring weather any more, and that's true, but the past two weeks have been spectacular. Today is one of the best days. I can tell when the barometric pressure is high, because my mood goes way up, and everyone I see seems to be extra good looking.

I took Citi Bike to work because I won't be cycling home today. The wind was insane, much stronger than normal. The Citi Bike bikes weigh about 50 pounds, and they have a very upright position, so fighting the headwind was hard. But I was in a good mood anyway.

The weather web pages are so wrong about the wind. It says 3 mph with gusts up to 9 mph. It's much more than that on the river.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 06-18-18, 06:50 AM

Plenty warm all this week. Forecast high is 96F. I would prefer some of that nice spring weather like [MENTION=152773]noglider[/MENTION] described.

One neighborhood I cut through appears to be getting their roads redone. I had to hop on the sidewalk to get around dump trucks and pavers. And then still had to in the grass a bit to go around a worker. I think I'll avoid that section on the way home tonight.

My son starts his Driver's Education class this morning at a middle school less than 2 miles away. He rode his bike to it. I'm such a proud commuting father!
Old 06-18-18, 06:53 AM

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
It is one of those mornings where you wish the commute lasted all day. Just really nice weather and feeling good.
Old 06-18-18, 07:33 AM

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Liked 194 Times in 124 Posts
Tough commute today. Two saturdays ago I was helping my brother at his house demo a kitchen when I messed my back up. It hurt pretty bad, but by Friday had settled down to an annoying ache. Like an idiot I helped him again this last Saturday as he removed tons and tons of landscape rock that completely circled his house. My back was hurting but I was just putting up with the pain until toward the end of the day when I jerked in the wrong direction and it went "ping!" The pain was intense and I had to stop working immediately. Two mornings later it still hurts really bad. I've been trying over the counter pain meds but they hardly put a dent in it.

I have a deadline this week and missing a day of work would not be good, so I decided I needed to try and work today. Had my remote access not been broken I probably would have just stayed and worked from home. Unfortunately, I had to go to the office. I reasoned that it hurts to sit in a car just as bad as it hurts to sit on a bike, so in my thick-headed stubbornness I still rode my bicycle to work. I went really slow but I made it without causing myself any additional pain.

It was raining this morning, so I took my hybrid with fenders. I probably would have anyway as the seating position is much more upright than my road bike, and the rack allowed me to put my gear in a saddlebag versus carrying it in a backpack.

I don't care what my brother says, I'm not helping him with anything physical this coming weekend.
Old 06-18-18, 07:45 AM

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Liked 2,174 Times in 1,336 Posts
Summer is definitely here in the south! (I'd take some of [MENTION=152773]noglider[/MENTION]'s weather if he wants to share!) 77F, 79% RH this morning. Sunny, clear, as long as I was rolling I didn't notice how much I was sweating -- until I got to work and had to wring out gloves, headband, and want to borrow somebody else's chair to drip on for the first 30 minutes in the office.

Cable installers and tree trimmers (around the power lines) were out in force this morning. Do I want to go completely in the other lane on a suburban street, approaching a blind curve, to make sure I'm not underneath that limb he's getting ready to cut 60' up?
Old 06-18-18, 08:59 AM

Liked 463 Times in 148 Posts
Originally Posted by mgw4jc
Granddaughter time sounds great [MENTION=297321]essiemyra[/MENTION]! Enjoy.
Thank-you! I definitely did enjoy my granddaughter.

It was an uneventful commute in with cloudy skies and the temp at 63 f degrees.
Old 06-18-18, 01:21 PM

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Nice commute in with 72F and clear skies. Also saw a lady on what looked like a new Bianchi Intenso bike and gave he a compliment on it. Sigh... To have a new bike. But I clearly get out of the "upgrade-itis" mentality when I ask myself what is wrong with the bikes that I have. Ah well. Looks like it will be a little bit a "shake and bake" when I leave. The temp went up to 92F...
Old 06-18-18, 02:10 PM

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Liked 547 Times in 429 Posts
Hot and humid here in NYC today. I made sure to take it easy for the last few miles.
Old 06-18-18, 03:26 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Obed Boundary, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Liked 769 Times in 463 Posts
Hot but nice clear morning, was up to 77F by the time I rolled into work. I usually don't bother bringing a water bottle but remembered to bring one today, glad I did as I'm going to need that water on hand in case I need to squirt some on my sun sleeves for the evaporative cooling effect tonight when it'll be in the mid-80s.

I took my fenders off yesterday and swapped my 23c front Michelin Pro 4 Endurance for the 25c. The difference in comfort was huge. I'd put the front fender back on to test for rubbing (only a tiny amount) and forgot to take them off. Went out for a block and then remembered only the front fender was on, which looked silly enough for me to turn back and quickly dump it back in my garage. That's the nice thing about the Crud Roadracers, super easy to take off. There were times this spring when I was doubting whether the weather outlook would ever be conducive to running fenderless, but I think summer has really started now.
Old 06-18-18, 05:10 PM

The way home was too hot and humid to put any effort into it. I just took it easy for the 10 miles.
Old 06-19-18, 04:47 AM

Liked 463 Times in 148 Posts
A very nice uneventful ride in this morning with lots of small debris on the roads from last nights storms rolling through.
Old 06-19-18, 06:33 AM

Pretty sweaty ride. My last 2 miles were on a mostly shaded MUP. I slowed down and rode no-handed for a bit to cool down.

I feel like I am seeing more road kill squirrels this year. That and a couple of close calls with them on my bike. Yesterday one was already started up a tree but decided to jump back down and cross in front of me and see how close he could get to my front tire. Before I could hit the brakes he was off to the other side and gone.
Old 06-19-18, 06:58 AM

Bikes: 2018 Giant Roam 2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice and cool ride in, had a 20% chance of rain so naturally I got caught in a stray shower. Was light and didn't really get all that wet, so that's good.
Old 06-19-18, 07:40 AM

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Liked 2,174 Times in 1,336 Posts
My wife called yesterday afternoon to ask if I had gopher wood fenders for my bike, it was raining so hard at her work. Nope, clouds all around me but no rain. The clouds may have stopped the temperature at 90F instead of 93, but I couldn't tell any other difference.

Hot and soupy humid this morning. Still nice when I can find a shady street, I may have to look for more of those to ride...
Old 06-19-18, 08:07 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
67F and cloudy this morning, small chance of precip tonight. Hopefully I'm home by then. My commute is just under 5 miles and I've been able to do it less than 25 minutes.
Old 06-19-18, 09:24 AM
aka Tom Reingold

It got hot in New York (city and upstate) on Sunday. I seem to be more tolerant of heat and humidity than others, but only when I'm outside. Yesterday I got sweaty on my back, as I'm wearing a backpack these days, but I barely notice it until I get inside. Today is much warmer than yesterday, and I'm fine, so far. I rode harder than usual, and I enjoyed it.

It's weird when the wind is going one way but the moored boats on the river are not facing the wind. I guess the current has a bigger influence on their heading than the wind does.

Old 06-19-18, 02:35 PM

It was very hot and humid in NYC today, worse than yesterday. Thought about taking the subway but figured hot and humid on a bike beats hot and humid down below even if the trains themselves have AC. The ride home will be the same as yesterday, slow and easy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.