Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

The Wacky World of Craigslist and eBay Ads

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

The Wacky World of Craigslist and eBay Ads

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-09, 08:02 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by melonbar123
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/bik/1349522340.html

Am I missing something?

Vintage Cranks & Pedals (French) - $875 (mission district)

Date: 2009-08-30, 1:18AM PDT
Reply to: sale-z4yuh-1349522340@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

For sale: Totally Epic, epically classic French cranks. They don't make 'em like this anymore! Mount this super-stiff, waay rigid monster to your bad-ass fixie and motor away from all reality! And as we all know: Steel is Real, baby! None of this sissy alloy stuff!?! Beautifully cottered system---"real vintage goods"---and with a dab of J.B> Weld this fractured spindle will be better than fresh-forged!

Also, check out these Hella-Cool French "petals!" These awesome parts don't just grow on trees ya know! Or bushes, for that matter! You'll be shocked and awed at how smooth and fast these bearings ssssspin! This set is ALL you need to burn up Burning Man OR Smoldering Woman!

$875 for the set.

Wavy

• it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
I think he's messing with you. And SF CL in general.

Mike
Old 08-30-09, 08:28 AM
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Liked 3,131 Times in 1,592 Posts
wow 875 for a cottered crank and rattraps wish I still had my old royce union those "classic japanese not made any longer or growing on bushes" should fetch atleast .... $100?

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 08-30-09, 08:56 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
and with a dab of J.B> Weld this fractured spindle will be better than fresh-forged!
Old 08-30-09, 11:11 AM
Master of the Obvious

Bikes: bridgestone mb-6, schwinn tempo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
this from a couple days ago... lol

https://omaha.craigslist.org/bik/1347091106.html

*not my bike OR listing*
enjoy!
Old 08-30-09, 06:08 PM

Liked 112 Times in 80 Posts
A Tampa classic:

sexy green vintage road bike FUJI 1994 w computer & schwinn varsity - $150 (DOWNTOWN TAMPA)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2009-08-30, 5:44PM EDT
Reply to: sale-6zvj6-1350394016@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

guess whoss bizzak !!!!, yeah son .........CALL ME NO EMAILS......813 770 3439
heres a great vintage lightweight roadbike thats ready for conversion ...~~~~~~~~~~~FUJI=150.00////////////////////////SCHWINN VARSITY=65.00!!(LIL BIT RUST NOTHIN BAD )
or just haulin ass in the shape its in !
/ tires redy to ride frame=tall and this / gell seat diacomp brakes,
vintage suntour spirt derailer
I DONT HAVE A TAPE MEASURE/ BUT I WOULD SAY THIS BIKE IS FOR A 5,9---TO 6,2 PERSON, iride / i sell bikes / i sell about 3 a week /
NOOOOOOOOO EMAILS / ITS AWASTE OF TIME/ IF YOU WANT IT THEN COME GET IT / I DONT HOLD SHIZZLE FOR NOBODY.1`st come 1st served!!!!!!!!
lil computer needs to rehooked up . aka....... wire re-connected . yo can do this yourself . i just sell em,
Old 08-30-09, 07:21 PM
Allez means go.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I found this one today; lots of technical jargon:

https://greenbay.craigslist.org/bik/1350327218.html

mens shwinn bike - $30 (greenbay)

what i have is a older style mens shwinn bike from the 80's,the bike has skinny rims and tires so im thinking its a bike for speed,u can also easialy disasemble the bike without a rench,it has those knobs on the rims that u turn and the rim comes off,the fram is in nice shape for its age,also it has a bottle holder on it,the only problem this bike has is the gear changer by the back rim is broke and it will cost 30 to fix it at nordic bike,or u can buy the part and fix it yourself for 10 anyways i figure for 30 bucks u will have a nice older mens bike and remember thise is not a mountain bike this bike looks like a 10 speed with thin rims and tires,built for speed,call 432-6921 leave a message if no answer thanks!
Old 08-30-09, 07:23 PM
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista Vitus 979 Duralinox

Liked 6,970 Times in 3,975 Posts
I'm guessing he's off by about....20 years.

Peugeot Road Bike - $200

2001 edition. Excellent condition. New tires. Includes pump. It's FAST.

Old 08-30-09, 07:31 PM

Bikes: Raleigh Super Course (1968)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
miamijim,

You seem to be knowledgable about the central Florida bike market. Do you know what's up with the CL seller who refers to his bikes as "weapons", and describes their riders as taking them out "murdering"?

He does fixed-gear conversions and paint jobs (they look decent to me) but his terminology cracks me up. I'll try to post a snippet next time I see one offered. It's all "this weapon is perfect for murdering", etc.
Old 08-30-09, 11:23 PM
Fast Old Guy

Liked 672 Times in 177 Posts
Don't open the link if you're offended by foul language:

https://fresno.craigslist.org/bik/1350457498.html

Sounds like another hipster poseur who needs to sell his coffee shop cruiser to make the rent check.
Old 08-31-09, 06:37 AM

Liked 107 Times in 60 Posts
I saw a local ad here in Houston, that spoke of a "murdered out" fixed gear. I responded to the ad
saying it certainly looked murdered alright. The entire bike was spraybombed black, and black components.

A "reasonably priced" steel Specialized road bike. Cut the price in half buddy, and you'd be getting closer to reasonable. Why not
spend the $40 to fix it, I mean if you're making $500 off of a free bike, what difference would it make?,,,,BD

https://houston.craigslist.org/bik/1350852092.html

Specialized Road Bike (Triple)

Steel Frame (58 cm - Navy Blue)

I'm selling this bike only because it is very much the wrong size for my body. It was given to me by my step-father who almost never rode it--I put fewer than 100 miles on it. It is a solid feeling frame, down tube shifters, Bontrager Race Lite 700 x 25 tires, CatEye computer system, SPD Clip Pedals, and brand new WTB Road Saddle. Unfortunately, the smallest front ring was damaged when I shipped the bike here--it is currently locked out of the front derailleur. The bike was examined by Bicycle World of West U and they assured me that the part is about $40 to replace (which you don't need anyway because this is super flat Houston).

I imagine this bike would appeal to you if:
* You are looking for a really solid steel frame road bike
* You are looking for a bike with down tube shifters
* You are a student looking for a gently used and reasonably priced road bike
* You are TALL (approximately 6')

* it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
Old 08-31-09, 06:41 AM
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Liked 2,646 Times in 1,536 Posts
I really enjoyed that Freso fixie ad. It's actually a nice bike. He claims it has schitty parts, but I don't see any. The guy has a sense of humor. And 400 alligators is a decent price for that bike, too.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 08-31-09, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by intx13
miamijim,

You seem to be knowledgable about the central Florida bike market. Do you know what's up with the CL seller who refers to his bikes as "weapons", and describes their riders as taking them out "murdering"?

He does fixed-gear conversions and paint jobs (they look decent to me) but his terminology cracks me up. I'll try to post a snippet next time I see one offered. It's all "this weapon is perfect for murdering", etc.
I havent seen those ads but 'murdered' tends to refer to a car thats blacked out. The paint is generaly flat or satin with black wheels, dark window tint and no signs of chrome.

'That car is murdered' or 'murdered out'.

I'll assume the seller's impyling his bikes look cool becasue they're 'murdered out' or have a sinister looking paint scheme. If a bike is murderous looking then it would be a 'weapon'.
Old 08-31-09, 08:02 AM

Bikes: Eddy Merckx San Remo 76, Eddy Merckx San Remo 76 - Black Silver and Red, Eddy Merckx Sallanches 64 (2); Eddy Merckx MXL;

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
email this posting to a friend los angeles craigslist > westside-southbay > for sale / wanted > bicycles
please flag with care:

miscategorized
prohibited
spam/overpost
best of craigslist

Avoid scams and fraud by dealing locally! Beware any deal involving Western Union, Moneygram, wire transfer, cashier check, money order, shipping, escrow, or any promise of transaction protection/certification/guarantee. More info
Miyata 1000 - $1500 (LA)

Date: 2009-08-31, 2:19AM PDT
Reply to: sale-brxzp-1350998974@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

Miyata double butted Molybdenum.The seat is a (Bernard Hinault Selle Italia Turbo), wheels are black Bullseye hubs w/Mavic G40 clincher rims.

Yes, the bike was made in 1982, and yes, you can buy a used version of the same model in very nice condition on eBay for around $1000 from time to time, but please understand that not only is this is considered the finest production-model grand touring bike ever made, but that this particular specimen is also as new as you'll ever find, not to mention the Bullseye hubs and Bernard Hinault saddle, which are pretty sweet additions to an already uber-rare garage queen.
Thank you.
  • it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 1350998974

Old 08-31-09, 08:29 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
https://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/bik/1351189766.html

This guys posts his ad every week or two. Who would work for $10 an hour with their own tools to fix up bikes for someone else to sell on craigslist once they have been flipped?

When he posts the bikes for sale he always includes the line "worked on by a certified bicycle mechanic". Certified by who? I can't help but feel that anyone who would actually do a good job working on his bikes would have too much dignity than to do it for so little money.
Old 08-31-09, 11:43 AM

Bikes: Raleigh Super Course (1968)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok, here's one from the "weapon" guy. The bike is named "Angle of Death". He says: "This weapon is mean, it's sleek and quiet and is ready to take your soul and send you to meet Satan (lucky you)."

Here's my favorite, a pair of bikes named "Ketchem" and "Killem". From the ad: "These weapons were built for my friend and his girl who wanted something to use for when they go out murdering. These weapons are super fast and these kids are in really good shape so if you are on their hitlist then sorry for you. i wouldn't bother trying to get away cause you will only die tired."

Those examples aren't quite his best work, but they're the funniest. Apparently he has a turn-around time of a day (!) including the (rattle can) paint job. Some responses on CL say his work is pretty good and that it's best just to ignore the ridiculous nomenclature
Old 08-31-09, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by intx13
Ok, here's one from the "weapon" guy. The bike is named "Angle of Death". He says: "This weapon is mean, it's sleek and quiet and is ready to take your soul and send you to meet Satan (lucky you)."

Here's my favorite, a pair of bikes named "Ketchem" and "Killem". From the ad: "These weapons were built for my friend and his girl who wanted something to use for when they go out murdering. These weapons are super fast and these kids are in really good shape so if you are on their hitlist then sorry for you. i wouldn't bother trying to get away cause you will only die tired."

Those examples aren't quite his best work, but they're the funniest. Apparently he has a turn-around time of a day (!) including the (rattle can) paint job. Some responses on CL say his work is pretty good and that it's best just to ignore the ridiculous nomenclature
His bikes actualy look like decent builds done properly and I find his ads to be somewhat funny.

I'm beginning to think he's implying the fixxie/ss crowds goes out terrorizes other cyclists and regular citizens. They're doing this with their 'weapon' which happens to be a 'murdered out' bike.
Old 08-31-09, 11:54 AM
car dodger

Liked 147 Times in 61 Posts
titanium rear rack!
21 spd. denal - errrr, schwinn!
https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/bik/1351536094.html
1976 Fuji Feather track
1979 raleigh track
"I've consulted my sources and I'm pretty sure your derailleur does not exist"
Old 08-31-09, 12:07 PM
Domestic Domestique

Bikes: Brand New Old Catamount! Schwinn Homegrown, Specialized FSR, Salsa Vaya, Salsa Chile Con Crosso

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by norskagent
titanium rear rack!
21 spd. denal - errrr, schwinn!
https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/bik/1351536094.html
Racing pedals and reflectors! I don't need anything more!
Old 08-31-09, 09:21 PM

Bikes: 2009 Jamis Sputnik, a couple of old mixtes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I saw this add:
-----------------------
https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/bik/1352359948.html

Women's 19" Raleigh Mixte 10-speed roadbike. - $85 (Chicago)
Date: 2009-08-31, 7:17PM CDT
Reply to: jadekiel@yahoo.com

This is a very nice looking women's 19" raleigh English made 10-speed lightweight roadbike. Has the limited Mixte frame. Bike rides nicely, has all good components which work well, tires and rims are good. Frame size fits 5'3 to 5'11 feet tall.. Northside of Chicago. Email or call if interested. See bike anytime.. 773-440-6368

-----------------------
I responded with a few questions since the picture was really poor quality and the description is none too revealing.

"Hi,
Can I see some better pictures of this bike? Do you know the model name or year? Do you know the frame material? Steel wheels or aluminum?
Thanks"

And THIS is what I got back...

"Hi, no and no. What you see is what you get. , Perhaps you should just buy a new one from a bike shop. i don't have time to provide you with personal service.

take care"

The "no and no" bit is fine. Everything after that is just a little infuriating.
Old 09-01-09, 04:03 AM
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Liked 3,131 Times in 1,592 Posts
OK Here is one check out the new fork design on this gem.

https://cgi.ebay.com/Bianchi-Grizzly-...d=p3286.c0.m14

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 09-01-09, 04:56 AM
hi

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
this space left blank intentionally
Old 09-01-09, 06:40 AM
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista Vitus 979 Duralinox

Liked 6,970 Times in 3,975 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
OK Here is one check out the new fork design on this gem.

https://cgi.ebay.com/Bianchi-Grizzly-...d=p3286.c0.m14
Question & Answer Answered On Sep-01-09

Q: Why do the front forks look backward?
A: The front tire is off because the bike is ready for shipping. I just propped it all together for the Ebay pictures and noticed that myself after it was posted. It was just simply turned around

Old 09-01-09, 08:28 AM

Bikes: Raleigh Supercourse

Liked 170 Times in 104 Posts
B.Y.O.B.C. ( bring your own bolt cutters)

CHEAP Gary Fisher bike!!! Must move!
Old 09-01-09, 09:19 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/bik/1353101806.html

Shimano 18 speed Mountain Bike - $300 (Sandy Spring, Georgia)

Shimano 18 speed Mountain Bike Moving, Must sell by September 20, 2009. Please Call James @ 678-852-6984 OBO

* it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

Old 09-01-09, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Jasmijo

The "no and no" bit is fine. Everything after that is just a little infuriating.
Why didnt you call?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.