Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Are you comfortable yet?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Are you comfortable yet?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-14, 07:22 PM

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by pdedes
in order to be a cyclist, one must practice the art of cycling. that takes time that too many well-heeled may not have; time with a bike, time with others that have and dispense knowledge. but the money buys a fantastic bike, a professional fitting, accessories that promise comfort but they forget to buy the time and chase an ephemeral feeling that never comes.
comfort really is a product of experience, of adaptation, of effort and of patience. As a rider with other obligations I miss my younger self that could spend 20-24hrs a week in the saddle. I miss tempo work at 40 km/h. I wish I appreciated the glut of riding time that I had more of then.
At 48, I'm still faster than most, and the comfort I have is a result of the accumulation of years but the comfort I desire could return with those 700km weeks.
Hear, hear! He knows what he is talking about.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 08-11-14, 07:48 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Liked 2,354 Times in 1,238 Posts
Time was when winter was for getting fat and spring was for saddle sores.

There was no internet to whine on, and you sure weren't telling your riding buddies that your spring legs felt like jelly after the first overpass, your saddle sores were raging after 40 miles, and you couldn't feel your naughty bits after a century.

Now winter is for increasing your FTP, and comfort gets more attention. I don't see any reason to complain.
Old 08-11-14, 07:55 PM

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Originally Posted by downtube42
Time was when winter was for getting fat and spring was for saddle sores.

There was no internet to whine on, and you sure weren't telling your riding buddies that your spring legs felt like jelly after the first overpass, your saddle sores were raging after 40 miles, and you couldn't feel your naughty bits after a century.

Now winter is for increasing your FTP, and comfort gets more attention. I don't see any reason to complain.
I just wish I knew what FTP was. I guess it isn't a motor oil additive, huh?

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 08-11-14, 08:12 PM

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix Evo 3; 2014 Cannondale Quick 4; 2014 Cannondale Crash 4 hi-mod

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
I just wish I knew what FTP was. I guess it isn't a motor oil additive, huh?
Functional Threshold Power.

Ya, we're definitely in the Information Age. We've got tons of data to process, combined w/ social intermingling to keep us looking constantly (I have no fewer than 3 bookmarks to the BF subforums & might add another here soon).

Fact of the matter is there's nothing wrong w/ being comfy. If you're really uncomfortable, it's not going to be enjoyable. Rewarding is another word but rewarding in pain is not that great.

As a runner, I can appreciate a good burn, but the pain cave is something I appreciate in the foyer. I'm not out to kill myself on either the run or the bike. I want to "want" to come back & do it again & again!

Last edited by loimpact; 08-11-14 at 08:16 PM.
Old 08-12-14, 02:54 PM

Bikes: 2014 Scattante CFR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jiggle
I put a ten pound waistpouch on one day and my butt was in agony after only a few miles. It was so bad that I stashed the thing in a ditch and came back for it later in my car.
In post #19 you said the phrase "fat people hate discomfort," was "right on the money." What does the above say about your tolerance for discomfort?

You come across as one of those callous types that believe a given person’s ailments are deserved and proof of his weakness. Sure, ultimate responsibility lies with the individual, but Big Food makes it tough to stay healthy in this country for a lot of people. It never hurts to extend sympathy and give people the benefit of the doubt. Wouldn't you want the same from them?
Old 08-12-14, 03:19 PM

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
after i pass the guy in front of me, i'm comfortable
Old 08-12-14, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by hueyhoolihan
after i pass the guy in front of me, i'm comfortable
Either that or you stop caring about comfort.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 08-12-14, 03:35 PM

Liked 647 Times in 402 Posts
Did a search for "comfort" in the title. 169 threads just in the road section

https://www.bikeforums.net/search.php?searchid=9516296
Old 08-12-14, 08:14 PM

Bikes: BH, Cervelo, Cube, Canyon

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mlander
In post #19 you said the phrase "fat people hate discomfort," was "right on the money." What does the above say about your tolerance for discomfort?

You come across as one of those callous types that believe a given person’s ailments are deserved and proof of his weakness. Sure, ultimate responsibility lies with the individual, but Big Food makes it tough to stay healthy in this country for a lot of people. It never hurts to extend sympathy and give people the benefit of the doubt. Wouldn't you want the same from them?
Yes, I said that. Let's look at it in context:

"Fat people hate discomfort. That's why they're fat - they can't stand the thought of being uncomfortable for a mere 30 minutes a day just to stay healthy."

The human body is the most valuable asset any human will own in their lives, and for now it is beyond value because it cannot be replaced. I don't have any respect for someone who doesn't make an effort to keep it in good shape. Considering this is the Information Age, the only reason they don't know how is because they either don't want to know or don't care.
Old 08-12-14, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Lazyass
Did a search for "comfort" in the title. 169 threads just in the road section

https://www.bikeforums.net/search.php?searchid=9516296
But only one as sensible as this.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 08-12-14, 08:40 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by I <3 Robots
Roadies in general whine too much.

Spend some time on a mountain bike.
Mountain bikers stop at the top of every climb , spend some time on a road bike.
Old 08-12-14, 09:05 PM

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
I keep thinking of more examples. Wider tires. Did you see the width of the tires they were riding in the 80s TDFs in the Lemond-Hinault special on ESPN? Probably only 18 or 19 mm. I rode 19 and 21mm wide tires for years at 120 psi or more. I cannot say I find 23s at 90 front and 100 rear more comfortable. Yet there are posts right now at the top of the 41 thread list talking about all the comfort that tubeless and wider tires provide. Just another thing to wonder about.
I rode 20s in the 1990s when I was in my teens, and anything wider was for freds.

Now I have 23s on all my bikes. I got a Cannondale off the Bay that turned out to have 20s. Turns out, 20s with an AL frame is a bad idea, especially with the crappy roads we ride on around here.
Old 08-12-14, 09:15 PM

Bikes: Cervelo S2, Workswell 062, Banshee Spitfire

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Fred Smedley
Mountain bikers stop at the top of every climb , spend some time on a road bike.
Ummmm...so do roadies...
Old 08-13-14, 06:18 AM

Bikes: 2014 Scattante CFR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jiggle
. Considering this is the Information Age, the only reason they don't know how is because they either don't want to know or don't care.
Do people universally have access to that information? What about people who can't read either because they're uneducated, or too young to learn? And speaking of the young, does this vehemence extend to obese children? How about obese teens that were obese children. How about obese teens that were obese children, who go to schools that don't offer physcial education, who live in neighborhoods where it's unsafe to play outside? Are there people who don't own computers? Is there any disinformation included in all that information? Are there people in economic circumstances that cannot afford to eat healthy? A double cheeseburger from McDonald's is a dollar. Are you familiar with the term "food desert?" Some Americans, without reliable transportation, have many establishments that deal in unhealthy food closer to them than the nearest carrot. Do any of these questions factor into your image of the slovenly, deservedly obese, lazy American?
Old 08-13-14, 07:29 AM
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Liked 2,369 Times in 1,575 Posts
Originally Posted by mlander
Do people universally have access to that information? What about people who can't read either because they're uneducated, or too young to learn? And speaking of the young, does this vehemence extend to obese children? How about obese teens that were obese children. How about obese teens that were obese children, who go to schools that don't offer physcial education, who live in neighborhoods where it's unsafe to play outside? Are there people who don't own computers? Is there any disinformation included in all that information? Are there people in economic circumstances that cannot afford to eat healthy? A double cheeseburger from McDonald's is a dollar. Are you familiar with the term "food desert?" Some Americans, without reliable transportation, have many establishments that deal in unhealthy food closer to them than the nearest carrot. Do any of these questions factor into your image of the slovenly, deservedly obese, lazy American?
I think what Jiggle is saying in all his posts is people are free to make personal decisions affecting their life. We all face distractions like food, alcohol, drugs, work, and even excessive exercise. We decide how we are going to deal with them and what are priorities. I don't think he's saying anything about "slovenly, deservedly obese, lazy American"
Old 08-13-14, 07:51 AM
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Liked 343 Times in 211 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka

The fitter I am ... the more comfortable I am.

The stronger my core is ... the more comfortable I am.

The stronger my upper body is (shoulders, biceps, triceps, chest) ... the more comfortable I am.

The more I cycle ... the more comfortable I am.
There's a lot of truth to that. You could argue that all the other stuff going on is just micro adjusting.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 08-13-14, 08:41 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DXchulo
To be honest, I think the whole comfort thing is the bike industry's way of marketing to fat people. Look at the comfort bikes- they all have super high headtubes so fat people don't have to bend over too much. When more than half of the US is fat, it's a smart move on their part.

Fat people hate discomfort. That's why they're fat- they can't stand the thought of being uncomfortable for a mere 30 minutes a day just to stay healthy.
Just curious, but do you have a photo example of the bike description you're providing? Curious but having some trouble envisioning it in my head.
Old 08-13-14, 08:55 AM

Bikes: Me: Trek 7.2 FX Disc, Pinarello Rokh Her: Electra Townie 3i

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I would think the well-heeled are FAR more likely to have the time to spend endless hours in the saddle going nowhere in particular, with no purpose other than to pursue "the art of cycling". The working stiff generally doesn't have a spare 20-24 hrs available week in and week out. Not in my experience, anyway. Not if he or she has any kind of life outside of cycling.