Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

So are the days of our lives...

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

So are the days of our lives...

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-15, 10:58 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That reference is lost on me
Old 06-06-15, 11:25 AM
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by mike868y
Kids these days...

Demain, on roule!
Old 06-06-15, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Liked 953 Times in 625 Posts
Originally Posted by mike868y
Blues - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 06-06-15, 08:43 PM

Liked 9,489 Times in 4,654 Posts
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
. I think RacerEx used to live there ?
RacerEx used to live here, too.
Old 06-07-15, 07:31 AM

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Liked 182 Times in 104 Posts
Two weeks in a row, I was told no camera on helmet. Bike cam okay. Apparnetly someone up high said something, or so it seems.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 06-07-15, 11:03 AM

Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by carpediemracing
Two weeks in a row, I was told no camera on helmet. Bike cam okay. Apparnetly someone up high said something, or so it seems.
It was making the sport too enjoyable for the few that actually watch it (and don't cycle) so something needed to be done.
Old 06-07-15, 06:47 PM

Bikes: Yes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I haven't seen anything come down from USAC nor has any official I've worked with lately said anything about it.
Old 06-07-15, 06:54 PM

Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Bike racing is too hard, you guys. I'm going to go have some wine with my whine.
Old 06-07-15, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by shovelhd
I haven't seen anything come down from USAC nor has any official I've worked with lately said anything about it.
Weird. One official was really curt about it, no explanation, no nothing, just take the camera off now. The other I've known for decades (not Meg), she was almost apologetic (I asked before the race, like I did at Somerville about Speed Bars). As I was clipping in one (junior) official was yelling that I can't start with aero bars. The apologetic official shushed her, said they're Speed Bars and totally legal.

I should have asked JD as he was there but I didn't think of it.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 06-07-15, 07:48 PM
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Liked 953 Times in 625 Posts
Originally Posted by grolby
Bike racing is too hard, you guys. I'm going to go have some wine with my whine.
A couple of years ago on a group ride, my legs just switched off, and I guess my brain sided with my legs. Happened again on another ride. Something inside said "F-this". Stopped halfway up a hill that I used to like attacking. Barely got home. Very odd feeling. Never felt anything like it before.
Worked on fixing the house and other stuff instead for the next year or so.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html

Last edited by Homebrew01; 06-07-15 at 07:55 PM.
Old 06-08-15, 05:47 AM

Bikes: Yes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Weird. One official was really curt about it, no explanation, no nothing, just take the camera off now. The other I've known for decades (not Meg), she was almost apologetic (I asked before the race, like I did at Somerville about Speed Bars). As I was clipping in one (junior) official was yelling that I can't start with aero bars. The apologetic official shushed her, said they're Speed Bars and totally legal.

I should have asked JD as he was there but I didn't think of it.
There is a general out clause in 1I2(a) that this could have fallen under, but I have not heard of any point of emphasis being stressed. However I have not worked much this year so maybe I missed something. I will ask, but I'd like to hear your side first. I know all of the officials assigned to that race. I'm surprised that one threatened your start due to the bars. That's not proper procedure or good conduct.
Old 06-08-15, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by shovelhd
There is a general out clause in 1I2(a) that this could have fallen under, but I have not heard of any point of emphasis being stressed. However I have not worked much this year so maybe I missed something. I will ask, but I'd like to hear your side first. I know all of the officials assigned to that race. I'm surprised that one threatened your start due to the bars. That's not proper procedure or good conduct.
The "junior" official was truly a junior, seemed brand new and it might have been someone doing free officiating to get their time in. However the Chief Ref (I assume that was her, she was the one that was apologetic about the camera thing) quickly corrected her. I think that other than the fact that I was literally just rolling forward, not even clipped in with the other foot, probably put this in the "better say something quick before he rolls away" kind of snap decision.

I understand a new official thinking they might be illegal - there are plenty of long time racers that think they're illegal also.

Also, because I haven't used them, I know they work with the large diameter bars (I was testing them with the bolts you sent a long time ago), I will probably just take them off. Finally unless I figure something weird out I'll need to get them out of the way to carry a camera under the stem. It's too bad, the helmet cam illustrates pretty well where I'm looking. It allows me to remember and point out what I'm thinking.
Old 06-08-15, 08:42 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm running a 52/36 with an 11/25 Shimano on my race bike. I've got White Plains and Keith Berger in the next two weeks and I'm thinking about swapping the rings (Quark Elsa RS) to 53/39 tonight (and maybe going to an 11/23). I'm hoping to be able to do it without taking off the cranks. Then I have to adjust the Ultegra di2 FD. My mechanical ability is somewhere around an ape, which is to say lightly above a monkey (although I've recently been able to learn to adjust the stupid giant brakes on my propel). Am I asking for trouble here? Should I just give it to a shop for a few days?
Old 06-08-15, 09:20 AM
out walking the earth

Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
why would you change. do you really think you need a 53x11?

for either of those courses you don't. I don't. You sure don't.

change the cassette. leave the rest alone. you're asking for trouble.
Old 06-08-15, 09:35 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb

Thanks. Done. That's why I ask these questions.
Old 06-08-15, 09:59 AM

Bikes: not enough

Liked 87 Times in 53 Posts
Stuck at work when id rather be tinkering / finishing up the fit in my new to me TT bike. 97/98 out here today .. So not riding after work
Old 06-08-15, 11:54 AM
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Liked 3,492 Times in 1,831 Posts
[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/qM6KaEy.gifv[/IMG]
Old 06-08-15, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by gsteinb

Originally Posted by island rider
Thanks. Done. That's why I ask these questions.
+1 on leaving it alone. One less thing to worry about. You won't put it in the small ring except for the warm up. 52x11 and 53x11 are virtually the same, and unless you're strong and you dive-bomb the descent at White Plains you won't run out of gear.

White Plains you use a wide range of gears, the 11-25 might be good. Hill (initial bit, then the flatter bit, then the slight downhill to Turn One), second straight (one or two gears), Turn Two (short punchy bump hill then downhill), Turn Three (flat out, just keep gaps closed), Turn Four (set up for hill). You may end up in the 52x23 if something happens in front of you and you have to jam on the brakes but otherwise you'll be in the 21 or 19 at the worst. Guessing there.

Keith Berger is flat, usually moderate wind, the 11-23 might be helpful for that one extra one tooth jump so you can really hone rpm. Only for really slow stuff will you even think about the 52x23.
Old 06-08-15, 03:02 PM
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Back when I used to TT like Serhiy Honchar I'd push a 53-11 @ 70RPM. [MENTION=10280]racer[/MENTION]Ex actually sent me a 55T chainring so I could go about destroying my knees on TTs with downhills. 2/10 would not recommend, and also I doubt you'll need to touch your 11t at White Plains or Berger.
Old 06-08-15, 03:16 PM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
my TTing improved dramatically with a 55t ring!
Old 06-08-15, 09:05 PM
Not actually Tmonk

Man, it's nice out.

I just walked out of my apt to grab a burrito, and immediately noticed how great it was outside: ~70F, no wind, scattered clouds playing with the early sunset. When I arrived at Lupe's, some ~5 year old kid held the door open for me. Good lad.

On my way out, it was equally nice, and notably more orange, with purple too. The very busy street/intersection right in front had no cars in either direction (wtf?), so I just jaywalked across the street, really slowly, no rush really.

After I had crossed the street, I chose to walk all the way around on the sidewalk instead of cutting through the strip mall on the other side. What a lovely evening.
Old 06-08-15, 09:30 PM

Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
It was 108 today. Pretty sure I could cook an egg on the sidewalk.
Old 06-08-15, 11:47 PM
Not actually Tmonk

yuck!
Old 06-09-15, 04:48 AM
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Mid-90s and humid yesterday, then a short rain. Walked outside after the rain and my glasses fogged over.

Demain, on roule!
Old 06-09-15, 07:54 AM

Liked 9,489 Times in 4,654 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret
It was 108 today. Pretty sure I could cook an egg on the sidewalk.
I hate the summer. Working on cars and pushing them around and walking around the lot for 9 hours=sucky.

Had a great ride Saturday, it wasn't hot then.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.