Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Today I:

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-12, 06:18 PM
Still kicking.

Bikes: Bike Count: Rising.

Liked 47 Times in 33 Posts
Today I got in a good session on the mtb and was the first time I attempted to do bar tape from top to bottom.

All in all, not bad for a 1st attempt.

Old 01-17-12, 07:58 PM
hamcycles.com

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by yummygooey
You can get RHM 02's from pbk for $35ish shipped if you don't mind waiting for shipping.
Yeah I have them, I like them quite a bit, but since I'm 'down' with compact drops, I'm itching to try another one
Old 01-17-12, 08:02 PM
i'll probably break it

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by hamfoh
I think riding brakeless is a reason why I'm alive, because you definitely are much more aware of your surroundings when riding that way.
no offence man but this statement is ridiculous. 'definitely' not.

im not trying to start another brake vs. brakeless arguement[thats so 2011] im just saying if putting a brake on your fixed gear bike makes you pay less attention then i am asleep on my freewheel with two brakes...
Old 01-17-12, 08:10 PM
i'll probably break it

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
o hey i forgot about BFSSFG, i was busy lifeing.

so i posted a bunch of pics in here a couple months ago when half my house imploded due to water leak so i tore it all apart.

and then i fixed it.

60hr work weeks + two kids and the wife working part time nights make it difficult to emergency reno half your main floor almost completely by yourself[not pictured wifeys office and the front foyer] but i did it.

last sunday i sat on my new couch and drank coffee and did nothing. i almost cried it was so beautiful to have nothing to do.

my bikes are all still disassembled in the basement.
Old 01-17-12, 08:13 PM
hamcycles.com

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 91MF
no offence man but this statement is ridiculous. 'definitely' not.

im not trying to start another brake vs. brakeless arguement[thats so 2011] im just saying if putting a brake on your fixed gear bike makes you pay less attention then i am asleep on my freewheel with two brakes...
considering I owned bikes with two brakes all of my life and just the last year without one, the no, I don't think it's ridiculous at all. Knowing you don't have instant stopping power changes the way you ride. Nobody is saying people with brakes ride carelessly, but ride through downtown Houston without them and tell me there isn't a different level of alertness
Old 01-17-12, 08:13 PM
Still kicking.

Bikes: Bike Count: Rising.

Liked 47 Times in 33 Posts
Nice work.
Old 01-17-12, 08:28 PM
i'll probably break it

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by hamfoh
considering I owned bikes with two brakes all of my life and just the last year without one, the no, I don't think it's ridiculous at all. Knowing you don't have instant stopping power changes the way you ride. Nobody is saying people with brakes ride carelessly, but ride through downtown Houston without them and tell me there isn't a different level of alertness
change the way you ride, yes. level of alertness, no.

dude, have you ever been to toronto? you dont need to tell me about stupid drivers or dangerous traffic situations.
Old 01-17-12, 08:33 PM
Your cog is slipping.

Liked 100 Times in 58 Posts
Old 01-17-12, 08:54 PM
Fixie Infamous

Bikes: 2007 CAAD Optimo Track, 2012 Cannondale CAAD10, 1996 GT Force restomod, 2015 Cannondale CAADX

Liked 25 Times in 9 Posts
CHANGE OF TOPIC... lol

today was my first day back at school after winter break... cool beans.. started at 1...

but now for the cool ass story... woke up at 7 for my morning 30m work out ride... same trail i do pretty much every morning. On this ride, I often run into other regulars, and we pack up and share the headwind and what not. They're all older than me, but they're definitely nice guys. So this guy that I occasionally meet up with broke his foot. slipped on his stairs or something like that, didn't quite hear, and didn't want to ask again, I heard "stairs" though. That didn't stop him from riding.

He bolted his cleat into the bottom of his cast.

I wanted to ask him if i could right "HTFU" on the back of his heel.... cause thats all i was thinking...
Old 01-17-12, 09:02 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
with work drama and sickness, i haven't been on the rollers in going on a week.

there is a lonely empty space between my legs where a bike belongs. must fix this.

TMI?
Old 01-17-12, 09:02 PM
i'll probably break it

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Scrodzilla

Old 01-17-12, 09:47 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RGNY

there is a lonely empty space between my legs where a bike belongs. must fix this.

TMI?
I have been in Ecuador since the first of the year. I am having major bicycle withdrawals. And I still have eight days to go. It is going to be rough.
Old 01-17-12, 10:37 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PlattsVegas
I have been in Ecuador since the first of the year. I am having major bicycle withdrawals. And I still have eight days to go. It is going to be rough.
heh, cool. my buddy is an entomologist and everywhere he went in South America he bought: a local machete, the local rum and the local hot sauce. enjoy! then come back and ride until your legs cramp up.....
Old 01-17-12, 10:46 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

so i posted a bunch of pics in here a couple months ago when half my house imploded due to water leak so i tore it all apart.

and then i fixed it.

60hr work weeks + two kids and the wife working part time nights make it difficult to emergency reno half your main floor almost completely by yourself[not pictured wifeys office and the front foyer] but i did it.

last sunday i sat on my new couch and drank coffee and did nothing. i almost cried it was so beautiful to have nothing to do.

Holy **** man, can I buy you a beer? Well done! Do you have a background in carpentry/electrical? If not, I am even more impressed.
Old 01-17-12, 11:02 PM
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Liked 135 Times in 99 Posts
Went to scope a potential site for the new frame shop... which would be attached indirectly to our bicycle co-ops 2nd location.
Old 01-18-12, 12:40 AM
Painfully average.

Bikes: Caad10 / All-City SP

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

and then i fixed it.

I agree, totally good ****! I did the exact same thing with this back room in my parents house that they just use for storage. We tore it all up, rebuilt it, and now I use it as a room when I visit! (NEVER had my own room at home. It feels great.)
Old 01-18-12, 05:35 AM
i'll probably break it

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jandro
Holy **** man, can I buy you a beer? Well done! Do you have a background in carpentry/electrical? If not, I am even more impressed.
thanks. I'm an automotive technician. I had no idea what I was doing. lucky I had a friend of a friend come over and refinish the destroyed 1940s hardwood otherwise I might have put laminate over lol

sad thing is after all this work we may put the house on the market in the spring. we'd like a spare bedroom and I'd like a proper garage.
Old 01-18-12, 11:21 AM

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Liked 400 Times in 196 Posts
Originally Posted by Nagrom_
He bolted his cleat into the bottom of his cast.
That is BADASS.
Old 01-18-12, 11:29 AM
i smell bacon

Bikes: Geekhouse Deerfield, GT Edge Ti, Spooky Skeletor, TET Track, Ritchey P-650b, Bridgestone MB-3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Today was the first day of my finite element analysis class. It's weird being in a class with guys that used to teach you (old TA's).
Old 01-18-12, 12:29 PM
sɹɐʇsɟoןןnɟsʇıbɟɯo

Bikes: fixed gear recumbent trike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
today i: snow

next step is recumbent.

my bikes | bike blog | beer blog | work 1 | work 2
Old 01-18-12, 12:33 PM
i smell bacon

Bikes: Geekhouse Deerfield, GT Edge Ti, Spooky Skeletor, TET Track, Ritchey P-650b, Bridgestone MB-3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sounds like you're getting more snow in Seattle than we are in Illinois.
Old 01-18-12, 12:38 PM
sɹɐʇsɟoןןnɟsʇıbɟɯo

Bikes: fixed gear recumbent trike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
have it back, im confused, dont know how to deal.....

next step is recumbent.

my bikes | bike blog | beer blog | work 1 | work 2
Old 01-18-12, 12:41 PM
yoked

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Stop stealing our snow!
Old 01-18-12, 01:03 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yeah, we've had a pretty mild winter so far in the midwest. Tho the worst month of the year is right around the corner...
Old 01-18-12, 03:13 PM
We win all charity rides

Bikes: BMX, fixed gear

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I miss the snow a bit too. Last year we had three snow days where the university was actually closed. Ecause of the weather.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.