Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Why is ultralight touring so unpopular?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Why is ultralight touring so unpopular?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-15, 02:03 PM
djb

Liked 1,044 Times in 854 Posts
Originally Posted by nun
Spending $220 on something like a Tarptent Protrail does not seem that expensive.
this tent or others in a slightly more expensive range certainly get into the whole topic of that if you spend X nights in a motel during a trip, even the cheapest of hotels, its going to add up to the cost of a really light tent fairly soon. Sure, you have to have a camp mat and a sleeping bag, but its all stuff you are going to use other times (if you are a camping sort of person) so in the end....

I figure the main issue with the really light tents is that you will have to use more common sense of the surface you put it on, and just be more careful overall given that the materials are going to be thinner and more fragile than other tents. For me, this isn't an issue, I take care of my things, but I wouldnt lend a nice UL tent to my family members, who can be kinda clueless about being careful.

Nuns comment about being older or in my case, having a bit of a dodgey knee sometimes, trying to be more careful of load is always going to have benefits. And even if you dont travel as light as these guys, having the right gearing for a given terrain is always going to easier on your legs and knees, you just arent going to travel as far with the same amount of energy output--and thats ok too.
Old 11-30-15, 02:23 PM
Bye Bye

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by elcruxio
No, it does not. It's made of silnylon though. I can't find their waterproof ratings but silnylon generally has a max hydrostatic head of 1500mm whereas PU coated stuff can get to 5000-10000mm. Pu coated is heavier though. I personally wouldn't use anything under 3000mm since with any less it can become difficult to keep the water out, especially in heavy rain or perpetual wetness.
Where do you tour that you need that kind of rating. And why, if every time someone posts you simply disagree with or want to use other gear, do you keep posting here? We get it. You have specific needs and UL or L isn't for you. Move on. It's OK.
Old 11-30-15, 03:08 PM

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Liked 401 Times in 263 Posts
Originally Posted by bmike
Where do you tour that you need that kind of rating. And why, if every time someone posts you simply disagree with or want to use other gear, do you keep posting here? We get it. You have specific needs and UL or L isn't for you. Move on. It's OK.
Europe. It rains here....

Also, I don't disagree with everything here, I just don't comment on the things that I don't disagree with. And I mean, there's disagreeing on both sides of this discussion, it's kinda the point of discussion. If you want an UL echo chamber, go start a topic called 'the UL echo chamber' or something.
I do however get irritated about people saying stuff about 'smarter choices' when the whole smartness is pretty much a valuing question. And often in UL it would seem to be, not a smart choice but an expensive choice.
Old 11-30-15, 03:18 PM
Bye Bye

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Also, I don't disagree with everything here, I just don't comment on the things that I don't disagree with. And I mean, there's disagreeing on both sides of this discussion, it's kinda the point of discussion. If you want an UL echo chamber, go start a topic called 'the UL echo chamber' or something.
I do however get irritated about people saying stuff about 'smarter choices' when the whole smartness is pretty much a valuing question. And often in UL it would seem to be, not a smart choice but an expensive choice.
yeah, it rains here too in the northeast, and we have bugs.
i didn't think it rained in mordor (other than acid), so no tent is going to help you there.
Old 11-30-15, 04:00 PM

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by bmike
I wonder how many Hummer and minivan and SUV drivers troll through Smart Car and Prius and Subcompact car forums to argue with commuters who drive smaller, lighter, more efficient cars...
They pop up a lot, but usually burn out pretty fast after some standard my big dually wouldn't even notice crushing your tree hugger joke of a car posts.
The posters here, on the other hand have enough staying power that I have no doubt that they can indeed mash a large load up a mountain using a minimum of 60 gear inches. And the pro heavy touring posters probably aren't slouches either!
Old 11-30-15, 05:58 PM
nun

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS, Specialized Diverge

Liked 43 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
this tent or others in a slightly more expensive range certainly get into the whole topic of that if you spend X nights in a motel during a trip, even the cheapest of hotels, its going to add up to the cost of a really light tent fairly soon. Sure, you have to have a camp mat and a sleeping bag, but its all stuff you are going to use other times (if you are a camping sort of person) so in the end....
Tarptents are perfectly capable and comfortable tents for 3 season weather. My Contrail has kept me dry in serious rainstorms. I'm always on the look out for a warmshowers host, a hostel or a motel, but I like being able to be comfortable when I'm camping too as being over 50 I need a good night's sleep, so I take gear that makes camping comfortable.
Old 11-30-15, 06:11 PM

Bikes: 2015 synapse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
which are also expensive if they also have any rating for waterproofness. It's like any other thing, money takes away grams.
true, thats why i I use a 75$ eureka tent.
Old 11-30-15, 06:17 PM
djb

Originally Posted by nun
Tarptents are perfectly capable and comfortable tents for 3 season weather. My Contrail has kept me dry in serious rainstorms. I'm always on the look out for a warmshowers host, a hostel or a motel, but I like being able to be comfortable when I'm camping too as being over 50 I need a good night's sleep, so I take gear that makes camping comfortable.
In reading your trip reports, I never had the impression that your tent wasnt anything but very capable. I have always wanted tents that I have complete confidence in for whatever weather comes my way, specifically rain, so your tent really does seem like a neat little number that works as advertised. I don't think I'd take it to South America or something, would prefer something heavier and I presume (perhaps) more sturdy.
Being over 50 as well, or for anyone for that matter, getting a good nights sleep is pretty darn important to me as well, so its good to hear how competent your tent is, at its amazing low weight, and still keeping bugs off you.
Old 11-30-15, 06:30 PM
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have tremondous respect for someone who could cycle from Sweden to Nepal. That's tough!! And then climb Everest without O2?? Super tough!! But there is no need to bring the climbing gear from Sweden to Nepal. Ship it to Katmandu and pick it up there. Warm up your brain cells. Less is better. But do be safe.
Old 11-30-15, 06:53 PM

Liked 860 Times in 444 Posts
Originally Posted by nun
I think your approach works well for the solo tourer. I used a similar setup in my younger days, although it was a little more on the crude side. However, I think there are more light weight options without a huge weight penalty when touring with a partner.

I almost always tour with my wife, and she still does not mind sharing a tent with me. Our 3 season tent weighs right at 4 lb. That is 2 lb/person. The Contrail weighs 1.7 lb.; so for less than 5 oz. more/ person we get a roomy, double walled tent. I have to admit this sounds good in theory, but unfortunately I'm the one who carries the tent

When our 2 daughters tour with us they split up the tent which is more with keeping with my assumption.
Old 11-30-15, 06:57 PM
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by nun
Someone asked about a lightweight gear list. There have been lots of links to lists in this discussion, but for ease here is what I took on the Northern Tier

Item: oz
Bike, Cervelo RS: 304
Carradice Camper Longflap: 31
Ortlieb Classic Large: 20
Tarpent Contrail: 28
Montbell UL Super Spiral Down Hugger 30F sleeping bag: 25
2x Compression Sack: 0 (include in other weights)
Thermarest NeoAir, Regular: 14
Exped Air Pillow: 3.5
Evernew Titanium Alcohol Stove:1
Evernew Titanium Mug: 2.5
Windscreen: 0.5
Bic lighter: 0.5
Sea to Summit X-mug: 1.5
REI LightLoads mini towel: 0.25
2 x Water Bottles Maxi Cincio one liter capacity: 7
Groundeffect Rock Lobster jersey with long sleeves and a zip: 7
Ex-Officio Convertible Long Pants*Lightweight trousers with zip off: 10
Rapha Merino Padded Boxers: 4
Smartwool PhD socks: 2
REI rain pants: 8
Smartwool balaclava: 2
Rain Jacket: Marmot Mica: 8
Marmot Catalyst jacket: 11
KungFu Shoes: 11
Sea to Summit Ultra-sil Day Pack: 2
Cord:Basic Utility cord: 2.5
Snow Peak Titanium Spork: 0.5
Antigravitygear 8 fl oz fluid bottle: 1
Tools:Topeak Alien II: 10
Parts/Spares: Brake and gear cables, AAA batteries, duct tape, cable ties, Fiber Flex spoke, patch kit, 4mm SHC screws, chain link: 6
Tubes:Continental Race 28, 25mm inner tubes: 6
Multitool:Leatherman Juice: 5
Umbrella: 6
Wash Kit: Toothpaste and brush, comb, shampoo, DEET, sun screen. lip balm, razor,medium REI camp towel: 9
Sunglasses: Julbo race:1
First Aid Kit: 3
Castelli Pioggia over shoes: 4
iPhone4: 6
Anker external battery: 8
Sony Walkman Radio SRF M37W: 4
Cables and earphones: iPhone AC adapter, iPhone charging cable, Hyperjuice USB charging cable: 5
Petzl headlamp: 3
Wallet: 4
Lenzyne Pump: 3
Lock:Kryptonite Kryptoflex 815: 10
Man***** Windstopper gloves: 2
Total Weight: 601 oz (37.5 lbs)

Items worn and consumables
Cap:2
Bandana:1
EMS Techwick Midweight T with long sleeves and half zip: 11
EMS Touring Shorts:6
Rapha padded underwear: 4
Smartwool PhD socks: 2
Shimano M076 shoes: 22
Food and Water: Raman, couscous, stock cubes, candy bars, dehydrated veggies: 100
Denatured alcohol: 7

Here is the bike and gear just outside of Galata, MT

and just the bags packed with everything on the list

You could trim a few oz. off that with a small sleep pad. smaller pillow? do you really need rain gear in july? But yes no reason to go stupid light. Bring what you need at night, carry less during the day. Don't go stupid light or stupid heavy. Warm up the brain cells.
Old 11-30-15, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Squeezebox
I have tremondous respect for someone who could cycle from Sweden to Nepal. That's tough!! And then climb Everest without O2?? Super tough!! But there is no need to bring the climbing gear from Sweden to Nepal. Ship it to Katmandu and pick it up there. Warm up your brain cells. Less is better. But do be safe.
Do you think he might have been using the loaded ride as training for his upcoming climbing venture? Or maybe he just likes a challenge to "warm up his brain cells".

Last edited by Doug64; 11-30-15 at 07:10 PM.
Old 11-30-15, 07:17 PM
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by doug64
do you think he might have been using the loaded ride as training for his upcoming climbing venture? Or maybe he just likes a challenge to "warm up his brain cells".

huh???
Old 11-30-15, 08:09 PM

Liked 1,319 Times in 709 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug64
Do you think he might have been using the loaded ride as training for his upcoming climbing venture? Or maybe he just likes a challenge to "warm up his brain cells".
Yup. It's why climbers used to hike into Everest instead of taking a chopper.

I looked it up and quite like the Tarptent Contrail. To me it's pretty much a stripped down tent but covers all the bases: roof, bug protection, floor. For a small tent I am currently using a cheap small freestanding tent and the two ways I could see lightening and compressing it would be to replace the floor to something lighter and using aluminum instead of fiberglass poles but am seriously considering making my own design this winter.
Old 11-30-15, 08:19 PM
nun

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS, Specialized Diverge

Originally Posted by Squeezebox
You could trim a few oz. off that with a small sleep pad. smaller pillow? do you really need rain gear in july? But yes no reason to go stupid light. Bring what you need at night, carry less during the day. Don't go stupid light or stupid heavy. Warm up the brain cells.
Yes there are areas I could easily trim. My bags are quite heavy, 11oz on a pair of spare shoes? An umbrella? I only wore my rain pants a couple of times on my last tour and one of those was because I was washing all my other pants. I could trim a couple of pounds without much effort.
Old 11-30-15, 08:24 PM

Bikes: Nature Boy 853 Disc, Pugsley SS

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
Yup. It's why climbers used to hike into Everest instead of taking a chopper.

I looked it up and quite like the Tarptent Contrail. To me it's pretty much a stripped down tent but covers all the bases: roof, bug protection, floor. For a small tent I am currently using a cheap small freestanding tent and the two ways I could see lightening and compressing it would be to replace the floor to something lighter and using aluminum instead of fiberglass poles but am seriously considering making my own design this winter.
I don't personally own one because I am pretty happy with my bivy, but I believe the Tarptent Contrail is the single best tent design on the market.

Ultralight, durable, simple, inexpensive, wow.
Old 11-30-15, 08:25 PM

Bikes: 2017 Kona TI, 2016 Bike Friday Haul-A-Day, 2015 Bike Friday New World Tourist (for sale), 2011 Mezzo D9, 2004 Marin Mount Vision Pro - for now :)

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

I for one appreciate that information and was unaware of those differences and how to measure them.
Old 11-30-15, 08:31 PM
nun

Originally Posted by mdilthey
I don't personally own one because I am pretty happy with my bivy, but I believe the Tarptent Contrail is the single best tent design on the market.

Ultralight, durable, simple, inexpensive, wow.
The Protrail is the Contrail's replacement and looks a little bit better because it's higher at the foot end.

https://www.tarptent.com/protrail.html
Old 11-30-15, 09:34 PM

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
The cowboys had a wagon full of stuff
The indians found the things they needed
Old 11-30-15, 09:56 PM

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
that protrail tarptent looks like they reinvented the U.S Army puptent, aka shelter-half. at only eight times the price available here. although i suppose it's lighter. not to forget the bug netting. ok, and floor...

now, that's the kind of precision that win's wars, boy!

army issue ground cloth for shelter half 15 dollars on ebay.

army issue mosquito netting 8 dollars on ebay.

Last edited by hueyhoolihan; 11-30-15 at 10:25 PM.
Old 11-30-15, 10:37 PM

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by saddlesores
even less! can pick up cf frames online in chinaland for under $250.

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm...id=39225475471

or $375 including the fork+seatpost (although brand translates as "breaking wind")

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm...id=35774379423

NOW.....if someone would make a full-carbon BOB trailer
with 12-kevlar-spoke wheel, at around 6 ounces total, we
could all tour with the kitchen sink and still be ultralight.
My chinese is a bit rusty & couldn't get the TaoBao site to switch to US English. OTOH had thought about one of those custom Ti bikes from Xian, lack of CAD experience was the major stumbling block there. Anyway, bike companies now have much experience with CF construction, a few extra eyelets shouldn't be a deal-killer IMO.

BTW I read that some tents available w/CF tent poles, narrowing weight diff between tents & bivvies/hammocks.
Old 11-30-15, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by DropBarFan

BTW I read that some tents available w/CF tent poles, narrowing weight diff between tents & bivvies/hammocks.
Some tent manufacturers have used CF poles. Our Sierra Designs tent had CF poles, but the female section of the connecting ferrules started to fatigue and crack, and were replaced with the aluminum poles that were used on later versions. They were replaced at no charge. I suspect the CF would have been fine, but we really abused the heck out of that tent. I actually like the aluminum poles better; they break down into smaller sections than the CF poles, making them easier to pack.
Old 11-30-15, 11:12 PM

How is 60lbs going to make me miserable? That's 27kg. It's nothing. I took as much stuff on my very first week long hike when I was 14 years old and can't really remember it weighing me down at all. I even took 1kg or so in rocks with me because they were so cool (now I know better, don't collect rocks, since if everyone was doing it, it would be catastrophic) On a bike 27kg is a very small amount of weight, if you compare it towards the whole system.

Now hauling a full military pack (50kg or 110lbs) for 50 miles was something different. That was starting to get heavy at the end of the march.

Honestly, if 27kg is going to make you miserable you might want to look towards further conditioning. More weight is going to make you slower on the uphills, not miserable, at least if your gearing can handle the elevation gain.

Blue Ridge Parkway tour was challenging if not miserable with ~20 kg luggage though yeah, didn't train adequately. Loaded mountain touring is far more effort than flat or moderate rolling terrain, local prep rides need to be really hard, perhaps including a Jens Voigt "Shut Up Legs!" sticker on top tube!
Old 11-30-15, 11:17 PM
djb

And you need the right gearing for a given bike+load+terrain combo....
Old 11-30-15, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by nun
Someone asked about a lightweight gear list. There have been lots of links to lists in this discussion, but for ease here is what I took on the Northern Tier
Very impressive esp packing extensive stuff into small volume. Good to see a Cervelo getting a good workout. On local bike path many Cervelo owners insult the brand by twiddling around at low speed despite having no luggage.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.