Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Road bikes vs hybrid/mtb bikes

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Road bikes vs hybrid/mtb bikes

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-09, 06:14 AM

Bikes: Vitus 979, Simplon 4-Star, Woodrup, Gazelle AB, Dawes Atlantis

Liked 75 Times in 42 Posts
Interesting juxtaposition! This bit of the discussion opens onto a much larger experience, which in some way is sure to visit the more casual cyclist later — if only in that someone will turn it into making a buck. Look at the custom car trade these days!! What seems today a niche is tomorrow's fortune for somebody.

Two sets of tires go on the bike, these are the wet weather (maybe it for the year here) tires.
Do you mean treaded tires for the wet? I followed some comment from the late Sheldon Brown. After riding thus far in Japan's version of the monsoon called the 'tsuyu', I'm convinced that he is right! You don't need tread pattern in a bicycle tire!!!!! The profile CAN'T aquaplane! At least not at any speeds we can accomplish! My recent experience tells me that rubber compound contribute to more of a differnce in adhesion to the road surface. If it has a tread, I'm not buying it. I love the pure slick tire. Sorry ... off topic but it was too natural a juncture to resist. (And at 61, I'm not taking chances at sprawling all over the some rain blasted road on the way home from work!)
Old 07-01-09, 08:16 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Lenton58
Do you mean treaded tires for the wet? I followed some comment from the late Sheldon Brown. After riding thus far in Japan's version of the monsoon called the 'tsuyu', I'm convinced that he is right! You don't need tread pattern in a bicycle tire!!!!!
That is very true for road riding, but the bike in discussion was a mountain bike for riding off-road. Tread matters in the mud.
Old 07-01-09, 04:38 PM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Slicks for the road bike, knobby tires for the wet dirt trails and very small knobs for the dry dirt. I think Stapfam would advise something else still for serious mud as it appears that the tires need to get rid of the mud between the knobs before it builds up into a thick slippery gooey mess.

The wet weather tires on the Dormouse are different front to rear. The rear tread is more bar like to provide forward thrust while climbing and the fronts have smaller knobs to help the tires steer. The wet tires are a much larger disadvantage when the bike goes on asphault as the knobs just slow them down horribly. IMHO, the dry tires (Kenda Kozmik Lite II) are the best all around compromise for dry trails and asphault. There are several other brands that make a similar tire.............minimal knobs about 1/8" in the center and larger knobs out on the sides that normally come into play only when the tires sind into something softer. They can run at 40psi on a pure dirt day or 80psi on a pure asphault day or some compromise setting in between for mixed media.

The Kozmic Lites start to spin (no forward bite) however when the ground gets too wet or slick or there is too much large gravel rock (like riding in a dry creek bed)

Road bikes run best on slicks. The best improvement there in the rain is to go with tires that have sticky race rubber but those tires will have a low lifespan before wear out.
Old 07-01-09, 07:24 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
There's no "U" in asphalt.
Old 07-02-09, 03:42 AM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
There's no "U" in asphalt.
Sadly your right............"I" spend way too much time riding in the woods and not enough time on the asphalt. This year I may get in a little more time as a roadie so I guess I may as well learn how to spell the word................"Tar".
Old 07-03-09, 08:37 AM
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Liked 3,438 Times in 2,082 Posts
This is my hybrid, 9spd LX drivetrain, 700x25's, adjustable fork cranked tight. I mostly use it as my rain commuter, riding with my 10 YO, pulling the tag a long (not much anymore), or any time I 'll be doing some leisurely paced stuff. Tonight it'll be hauling cooler and lawn chair for the fireworks. On camping trips I'll swap the original 32's on and loosen up the fork. It definitly doesn't ride as fast as my road bikes, but it does OK.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
c500-1.jpg (96.3 KB, 6 views)