Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

What not to skimp on for a bike touring trip?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

What not to skimp on for a bike touring trip?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-18, 02:37 PM
coast coaster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Panza
Thanks Spin.

Real solid down to earth stuff. I'll bring my favorite pair of off the bike clothes. : )!

For a warm up spin, I'm planning on a 2 day trip from Massachusetts to Canada for Tim Horton's and back. 400 miles over 2 days.

Ha. I was introduced to Tim Horton's on my first cross-country bike tour when I crossed into Canada. Donuts and coffee were the best first breakfast on cold foggy grey mornings in the Ontario countryside.

Having done several multi-month tours, this would be my list of essential spare-no-expense gear:
  • seat
  • tires (no flats, no slipping)
  • shifters (nothing delicate)
  • brakes (must be field serviceable)
  • chainrings, sprockets, deraileurs (no chipped teeth or delicate parts)
  • tools (lightest weight for crucial SHTF scenarios)
  • sleeping/camp gear to get the best sleep possible

It's not true that spending more money will ensure a tour with no issues. Many expensive items, components, camping gear, lack durability and will be a massive headache when they break down on the road. I've had my share of gear problems making tours difficult and discouraging so I now invest with the mindset of "what will give me the best experience".

Lastly, money is not the only resource to spend, and it can't buy a good attitude, robust mentality, or proper nutrition, hydration and sleep. Those are critical! I would spend whatever I needed to optimize those.
Old 09-06-18, 02:35 AM
Keep calm, Cycle on

Bikes: Pinarello F8, Bianchi ∞, Colnago SS, Niner MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So... there was no warm up trip. I jumped in. I’m in the middle of Michigan from Ohio and I’m on my way up to Wisconsin and Canada. I aim to pedal to Toronto and Niagra falls 1000 miles away.

I wish I had aero bars and wider tires. I pedalled across 15 miles of gravel roads yesterday and it was taxing on my body to say the least.

I’ve been eating at grocery stores to save on money rather than eating at restaurants. So far, I feel like I’ve over-packed.
I brought a cold weather jacket and a rain jacket. The weather hasn’t been cold enough to warrant a cold wrather jacket yet but its only been a few days.

I wished my sleeping bag folded smaller. I purchased a Marmot synthetic summer sleeping bag rated at 45°F. Next time I travel like this, I will bring a down sleeping bag that packs smaller as I realize how valuable space is.

Old 09-06-18, 02:39 AM
Keep calm, Cycle on

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I held my top tube bag in with paracord because it keeps flipping over and rubbing into my knees.

I added a bar end mirror as well so I can see traffic before I can see it.

ive only brought one bib but 3 jerseys and 2 casual shirts. I may regret this decision soon.
Old 09-06-18, 05:22 AM
djb

Liked 1,044 Times in 854 Posts
Welcome to the touring club, and be aware that you are no different than anyone who has to learn from from actually doing it about changes in stuff to bring or not bring.

Yes, in general, two sets of bike shorts or bibs is a given, I bring two jerseys, handy as you can layer them if cool, and could live with one off bike shirt

Take notes of changes that would help trip, all aspects. We think we will remember but usually we forget, so write it down. If you ever do another trip it will be a great help to jog the memory.

Safe and fun travels. Eat properly, wide range of foods, veggies fruit blah blah, sleep properly

Cheers
Old 09-08-18, 07:30 AM
Keep calm, Cycle on

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Biggest change to the trip is my planed mileage. I planned to ride originally between 100-150 miles a day. That was completely unrealistic!! I’m now riding between 60-100 miles a day.

16lbs race bike in a group is much different than solo 50lbs touring bike solo. My average speed dropped from 20mph to 14mph. I take more time to stop, rest, take pictures, enjoy the scenery, & talk to people.

I skimped out on my bike lock. I went with a light weight lock and so i dont forget it, I’ve tied it to my pannier with paracord. I also brought a lighter. Very handy for seating the ends of my paracord.

Old 09-08-18, 07:34 AM
Keep calm, Cycle on

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
Welcome to the touring club, and be aware that you are no different than anyone who has to learn from from actually doing it about changes in stuff to bring or not bring.

Yes, in general, two sets of bike shorts or bibs is a given, I bring two jerseys, handy as you can layer them if cool, and could live with one off bike shirt

Take notes of changes that would help trip, all aspects. We think we will remember but usually we forget, so write it down. If you ever do another trip it will be a great help to jog the memory.

Safe and fun travels. Eat properly, wide range of foods, veggies fruit blah blah, sleep properly

Cheers
lol yes, I’m trying to rest and sleep more for sure, when I can. I picked up a map of Michigan to help me find camp grounds easier.

One big thing I overlooked is my saddle. My saddle is fine for a 3 hour ride, but on an 8 hour day I want to toss this thing out a window.

I’m planning my next trip already, but i can reflect back on this thread to note changes to my set up.
Old 09-08-18, 07:53 AM

Bikes: 2017 Salsa Carbon Mukluk frame built with XT, 2018 Kona Rove NRB build with Sram Apex 1,2008 Salsa El Mariachi, 1986 Centurion Ironman

Liked 100 Times in 65 Posts
Biggest change to the trip is my planed mileage. I planned to ride originally between 100-150 miles a day. That was completely unrealistic!! I’m now riding between 60-100 miles a day.

16lbs race bike in a group is much different than solo 50lbs touring bike solo. My average speed dropped from 20mph to 14mph. I take more time to stop, rest, take pictures, enjoy the scenery, & talk to people.

I skimped out on my bike lock. I went with a light weight lock and so i dont forget it, I’ve tied it to my pannier with paracord. I also brought a lighter. Very handy for seating the ends of my paracord.

I'm glad you discovered that on your own, and I'm glad most in the group allowed you to make that discovery. Touring is a different animal, especially loaded. Averaging between 80 and 90 miles is still a full day.
Old 09-09-18, 08:53 PM

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Still some respectable distances/avgs. I'm a bit surprised the saddle proved a bit uncomfortable since I assumed you're used to long rides. Nice pics, IMHO they show that cameras still work better than phones.
Old 09-10-18, 04:48 AM

Liked 29 Times in 23 Posts
I think you’re doing just fine for your first real tour. Your pictures make me understand why people carry camera gear rather than just using their phone. I’m glad to see you’re still taking pictures and visiting places rather than just being frustrated about mileage and that it’s not going just how you planned. It’s All about attitude with bike touring. It’s often not what you expected, but it’s almost always a fun adventure if you just go with it and see what cool/interesting/relaxing/beautiful thing comes up next. Have fun and know that it gets even better each time you tour and learn how to enjoy it even more.
Old 09-10-18, 04:51 AM
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Liked 3,754 Times in 1,716 Posts
Thanks for the pics and your posts op. Excellent narrative.
Old 09-10-18, 08:49 PM
Keep calm, Cycle on

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think route planning is something I shouldn't have skimped out on.
Out of 400 miles, I rode a collective of 70 miles of dirt, limestone, and gravel. Real gravel. It took a toll on my fatigue.
I had assumed I could just go north and follow the coast, and go with road maps, but the maps don't tell the whole story. Local knowledge helped me a lot. People steered me away from routes I was planning and helped me find routes that were kinder to my body.

Originally Posted by DropBarFan
Still some respectable distances/avgs. I'm a bit surprised the saddle proved a bit uncomfortable since I assumed you're used to long rides. Nice pics, IMHO they show that cameras still work better than phones.
Amazing thing, after day 5 the pain in my sit bones went away and I feel like I can ride all day.

Originally Posted by 3speed
I think you’re doing just fine for your first real tour. Your pictures make me understand why people carry camera gear rather than just using their phone. I’m glad to see you’re still taking pictures and visiting places rather than just being frustrated about mileage and that it’s not going just how you planned. It’s All about attitude with bike touring. It’s often not what you expected, but it’s almost always a fun adventure if you just go with it and see what cool/interesting/relaxing/beautiful thing comes up next. Have fun and know that it gets even better each time you tour and learn how to enjoy it even more.
The camera I'm using is a point and shoot Canon G7x ii. It's heavy and bulky. It's too large to fit in my top tube bag comfortably so it stays in my rear pocket so I have more excuses to use it. The easier I have access to it, the more I'll use it!
My previous camera for biking was a Panasonic Lumix LX10, it was lighter, but not dust or moisture resistant. That thing was slim and light and would fit in my tiny 3.0 Zipp top tube bag.
I haven't found "the perfect" touring camera, yet, but I do agree, phones haven't eclipsed cameras yet!

The hardest thing about this ride is the wind. In the picture above you can see someone para-sailing. The coast's headwinds and cross winds are relentless. The 58mm deep section wheel in the back is a joke to consider when you have a giant pannier acting as a sail.

That warm wind jacket I bashed on earlier has come in handy. The beginning of my trip, mornings were in the 70's and the afternoon was in the 90's. It suddenly turned cold. Mornings are in the 50's and afternoons are in the 70's.

I brought 3 jackets (overkill much?)
A lightweight airy jacket to protect me from the wind.
A cold weather warm jacket to keep me warm.
A pure rain shell jacket to keep me dry in downright pouring rain.
I've used all 3, sometimes in combination with one another. I don't think I need the lightweight airy jacket though, I'd rather have arm warmers or sleeves.

Originally Posted by 52telecaster
Thanks for the pics and your posts op. Excellent narrative.
Of course, what's the point of starting a thread about a bike packing trip if you're not going to talk about it? lol

A new issue has come up... how expensive is bike packing supposed to be?
I set off on $200 in cash and I'm down to 0 after 6 days. I'm now using my debit card. How much money should I have brought along, realistically?
I went to a campground and it was $26 for a night there and $2 for 2 bottles of water. It's better to just... sleep in random fields to save money? I did use warmshowers to spend nights at people's houses twice. Very kind people.
Extra Expenses, I bought a $1 lighter and a $10 pack of velcro straps to help tie things down that were coming loose.
I spend about $8 a day purchasing water and coffee from various gas stations, the occasional gummy snack and banana.
I never bought a meal that cost me more than $20. A decent entree and a beer costs about $20 and lunch costs about $15 (with tip).
I've stopped eating out and started going to grocery stores for meals instead, this cuts down my costs a bit. A cheap salad, some pre-hardboiled eggs, and a coke costs me about $6.
Old 09-10-18, 09:52 PM

Bikes: 1990 Trek 420, 2010 Volpé

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I had to list the one thing out of my gear I was most pleased I had the foresight to bring on my cross-country tour, it'd be the full length top-tube mounted Zefal frame pump. That saved me so much time and effort when fixing flats along the way. I'd used it on my old Trek 420 for a while but my Bianchi didn't have a peg for it. A brief search showed Zefal makes a simple rubber and velcro bracket that allowed me to bring it along, and I was so happy I grabbed it.
Old 09-19-18, 08:12 PM
Keep calm, Cycle on

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Conclusion!!

A friend of mine gave me tips on how to survive on a low budget meal plan.
A lot of StarKist to make Tunafish sandwiches in my saddlebags. Don't be too picky, McDonalds offers high calorie foods.
I kinda wish I had more storage. You can't finish the ride if you got no food!

After settling in Toronto I stayed with friends who could house me comfortably. The bags went and I had access to shower water and food a plenty.

Taking off the bags felt like the beast was unleashed.

Overall, Though I cut my trip short, I learned a ton, I met new people, and gained a small bump in fitness.
Old 09-20-18, 04:33 AM
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Nice pics and commentary, [MENTION=371084]Panza[/MENTION]. Thanks!
Old 09-20-18, 05:42 AM
djb

Glad it went well overall and that it was a fun experience.
generally, having more space is handy. Yes of course riding a heavier bike with more panniers is going to be slower, but it's just different expectations of speed and distances.

Again, keep in mind the things you would change of you ever do this again in the future.
Cheers
Old 09-20-18, 09:13 PM

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Toronto has some nice scenery around it. On some tours I've been surprised how few restaurants/groceries there can be in some areas that are not esp remote.
Old 09-23-18, 11:27 AM

Liked 191 Times in 130 Posts
Thanks for posting. You can ask for all the advice in the world, but there’s nothing quite like getting out there and riding. Especially your average speed and distance. 14 mph average is quite reasonable. 75 mile a day is fairly comfortable, with the occasional shorter or longer day. I usually plan for 15 mph including rest stops, and sometimes actually ride faster or slower, depending mainly on the wind and terrain.
Old 09-23-18, 12:24 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Liked 1,363 Times in 868 Posts
Breakfast.
Old 09-23-18, 01:32 PM
djb

Originally Posted by fietsbob
Breakfast.
in America

Supertramp

and on the topic of avg speed, I figured out a long time ago that 10mph or 16kph is about the best case scenario, or at least realistic scenario for a total day taking into account this that and the other thing.
and have been regularly slower on average on lots of trips.
Old 09-24-18, 09:26 AM

Liked 887 Times in 594 Posts
Hey guys, I'm planning on biking from my parents' home in Ohio to my home north of Boston.
I've decided on my 900 mile route. On 7 out of the 10 days I'll be sleeping outside.
My longest previous trip was 600 miles over 4 days (with lodging on each night.)

I need:
- Luggage racks and backpacking bags.
- Single Person Tent.
- Sleeping mat. (Do I need a sleeping bag?)
- Some type of USB recharging system to charge my electronics while I ride. (any suggestions?)
- Do I need anything else aside from my normal? (Tools, Lights, Rain Gilet, Change of kit / muggle clothes, good pair of legs).

I don't want to spend more money than I have to, but I'm planning on doing more of these rides in the future. I'm working myself up for a cross country tour.

Which items can I be cheap with?
Which items should I spend a little extra on?
Any tips are appreciated! Thanks!
If you rode 600 miles in 4 days, you are a beast. Good job.

Don't skimp on the tent. A bad tent will end you.
Old 09-24-18, 02:24 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Brompton, Time, Bianchi, Jan Janssen, Peugeot

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Don't skimp on the money. Tends to solve most problems
Old 03-27-19, 10:56 PM
Slowpoach

Bikes: Cannondale T800, Northwood tandem, 1970s Gitane fixxed 45x16

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't skimp on a bike helmet.

I'm still upset about the Africa Bike saga from several years ago - young woman just getting into a life of adventure, and of all the potential dangers the one that ended her trip was a head injury.
Old 03-29-19, 11:27 PM

Liked 207 Times in 126 Posts
Touring

If your camping, a small quality tent, a mummy bag, mat, a tiny gasoline stove and a change of clothes. For rain, a waterproof windbreaker. Nothing like a hot cup of coffee and some oatmeal to get you to breakfast.