Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

2017 Race Plans

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-17, 08:59 AM

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Liked 375 Times in 256 Posts
Originally Posted by mike868y
mid july and probably not really what you're looking for, but intelligentsia cup in chicago.
Actually did look good. Intelligentsia Cup 2017 powered by SRAM - Chicago Bike Races - Racer Information
If this were shifted a week earlier it would be perfect.
This year junior's break is from June 23-July 16, but following years he will likely have double that time. We head to Chicago a lot for his sister's college, but she's graduating.

I'm looking at the other suggestions. Might do a fondo - https://deathride.com/ but can't post about that on the race forum.

Last edited by Doge; 03-19-17 at 09:05 AM.
Old 03-19-17, 01:35 PM

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
Should I register for King Ridge Grasshopper on May 6th, or hold off and see if this King City road race will happen? I'm thinking the hopper is more fun, but not sure how well my S5 can handle it. And it's not USAC
Old 05-01-17, 07:46 PM

Puppy will will have more time to train soon and so looking like last weekend of TOAD and U23 Nats might be fun.

I'm very excited about some next year options for those elite cyclists that put career over cycling.

Last edited by Doge; 05-01-17 at 07:59 PM.
Old 05-01-17, 07:52 PM
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
those elite cyclists that put carrier over cycling.
[MENTION=364302]Doge[/MENTION], you trust autocorrect too much.

Demain, on roule!
Old 05-01-17, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by revchuck
[MENTION=364302]Doge[/MENTION], you trust autocorrect too much.
I can't spell well, I don't pay attention, I have excellent grammar (or the tests say I do) and I post at the least focused times of the day.

Anyway future stuff looks - !!!

And I do mostly B2B commerce things where carrier is very important. Esp Amazon who whats to OK the carrier before you ship.
Old 05-01-17, 08:21 PM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
I can't spell well, I don't pay attention, I have excellent grammar (or the tests say I do) and I post at the least focused times of the day.
you can't? or you don't?
Old 05-01-17, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Ygduf
you can't? or you don't?
Don't
Old 05-01-17, 09:50 PM

Bikes: not enough

Liked 87 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
Don't
or won't.... it's the inter webs after all.
Old 05-01-17, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by spdntrxi
or won't.... it's the inter webs after all.
I could and I would, but I do not.
It is what I do not do.
Won't is what I will not do.

They are not the same.

Less grammar and more vocabulary.
Old 05-02-17, 03:39 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
intelligentsia is now 10 straight days of racing, no recovery days. super excited.

they've also added a straight 3 field for most days. leaves me a little conflicted about which field to do. on the one hand, it would be nice to theoretically get some decent results there. on the other hand, i think racing the 2/3 fields was really good for me in terms of both fitness and pack/handling skills and I would be bummed to miss out on that.
Old 05-02-17, 05:49 AM

Bikes: Cannondale Six13

Liked 58 Times in 21 Posts
I want to do that series one year. I did 3 of the races a few years ago and although I did awful, I still had fun while I was there
Old 05-02-17, 07:47 PM
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Liked 198 Times in 112 Posts
Oz Road Race, Saturday 6 May. MM40+ 4/5 ... though if there was such a thing as a 5/6 that's where I really belong.

https://www.whitelinecycling.com/cop...on-race-info-1

38mi, 500ish ft of elevation. Looks like it won't be too windy, which would blow things a part. Rode the route today, the mile of dirt is really loose and will have to stay on the left. https://www.strava.com/activities/967899086

Goal: stay in contact.
Old 05-05-17, 10:19 AM

Bikes: CAAD 10

Liked 229 Times in 111 Posts
What the heck, the stage race I wanted to come up to the Bay for just released their technical guide and it says that the TT will be road bike only for all but the pro field. Kind of don't want to do it now, since the prologue and road race don't suit me at all. Figured at least with a good TT I could redeem myself, but most of my speed comes from my position on that bike

My road position isn't half bad either, just not sure if it'd be enough to do well. Plus I was kind of looking forward to riding the TT bike for this.

May just skip the race entirely and just ride with friends or maybe do a group ride instead.
Old 05-05-17, 10:20 AM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
honestly that was going to be a dangerous TT on TT bikes. maybe not the worst decision
Old 05-05-17, 10:55 AM
once a runner

Bikes: n+1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah, i was pretty crushed when i saw that. i find it unfair that i can't pay for an unfair advantage over my competitors. it also seems like the GC is going to be based on points, omnium-style instead of cumulative time + bonuses? even more dumb - now i cant just do a good prologue and TT and surf wheels. and now the crit actually matters instead of being a parade!

bummed, but i guess i'll just need to find a way to do well in spite of all that. part of me is excited its a merckx TT because a) i don't actually need to stress about whether i'd feel safe on the fast descent or crosswinds on my TT bike and b) whenever i enter merckx TTs theres never really any competition because all the 'real' TTers do the regular category. now i'll actually be able to see how i stack up.
Old 05-05-17, 11:00 AM
Ninny

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by scheibo
and now the crit actually matters instead of being a parade!
Old 05-05-17, 11:11 AM

honestly that was going to be a dangerous TT on TT bikes. maybe not the worst decision
Is it just a really windy course?

Wonder why they didn't opt to do the Calaveras TT course
Old 05-05-17, 11:14 AM

yeah, i was pretty crushed when i saw that. i find it unfair that i can't pay for an unfair advantage over my competitors. it also seems like the GC is going to be based on points, omnium-style instead of cumulative time + bonuses? even more dumb - now i cant just do a good prologue and TT and surf wheels. and now the crit actually matters instead of being a parade!
can't tell if sarcasm lol

I was never really going to be in contention for the GC anyway, what with all the climbing up Mt. Hamilton, but I wanted to do well in the TT mostly, and in the crit secondly

I'll have to think some more about it. It does seem a bit less stressful to go up and just visit with friends and get some fun riding in, instead of running around to a bunch of different race venues.
Old 05-05-17, 11:15 AM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by wktmeow
Is it just a really windy course?

Wonder why they didn't opt to do the Calaveras TT course
I think part of Calaveras washed away?

It's windy and very fast. Pretty easy to cruise at 40mph on a road bike for sections of that road. Speeds on a TT bike would be probably beyond what I would feel great with, and I'm not the worst on a tt bike.
Old 05-05-17, 11:19 AM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
sort of sarcasm, I bet. TT is the one race where you really can buy improvement!
Old 05-05-17, 11:29 AM
once a runner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
its halfway between sarcasm and honesty. i loved the idea of being able to buy a 2-3mph advantage, and i would love to have a race where all that matters is fitness and training (ie/ the prologue and TT, or the road race if i just had to stay with the lead group and never try to win) as opposed to ever having to use my brain or rely on race craft. the fact that theres a TT means i could beat my pure climber friends, and i'd just have to stay upright during the crit.

with the way the race is now it is much more open - i still think i could go top-5, but there's many more racers i now need to be concerned about, and the result won't be guaranteed before the crit is finished. i understand this makes the race more desirable for a lot of people who dont want to pay $160 to participate in a race they'll never be able to win, but i was just hoping there'd be *one* race that let me shine.

maybe i'll have better luck with cascade, though i feel that field will be more competitive and the parcours will be less friendly to me.

I'll have to think some more about it. It does seem a bit less stressful to go up and just visit with friends and get some fun riding in, instead of running around to a bunch of different race venues.
TBF, outside of the road race start all the 'race venues' can be reached trivially from parking in the same place - theyre all very close together (including road race finish).

It's windy and very fast. Pretty easy to cruise at 40mph on a road bike for sections of that road. Speeds on a TT bike would be probably beyond what I would feel great with, and I'm not the worst on a tt bike.
yup. if theres a tailwind you can trivially get over 40mph on a road bike (less than 200W), would probably pass 50mph pretty easily on a TT bike. if thats a crosswind you're pretty miserable. there's a reason there's tons of windmills out there.
Old 05-05-17, 11:35 AM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I haven't seen the Tech guide ... RedKite is blocked here in the office. I thought the "elite" fields were going to be a typical stage race and the masters fields were going to be a points omniums? Sounds like all fields are points omniums, but masters can pick and choose which stages they enter?
Old 05-05-17, 11:43 AM
once a runner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yes, thats how i understand it. from the guide (just a drive link, so should be unblocked):

"ARTICLE 13- STAGE RACE AND OMNIUM GENERAL CLASSIFICATION SCORING

General Classification points for the stage race and omnium are assigned for finishing order of each
stage, as well as bonus points for the top three KOM leaders at the Mt Hamilton Road Race, as well
as primes at Stage Three – The Red Kite Memorial Day Criterium as follows:"
Old 05-05-17, 11:48 AM

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
I'm not following that race closely for obvious reasons, but I did notice it said TT uses UCI legal bike. What? I hope he means USAC legal?

Edit, can't find the reference anymore. Must have been on an old version of the flyer
Old 05-05-17, 11:54 AM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
yes, thats how i understand it. from the guide (just a drive link, so should be unblocked):

"ARTICLE 13- STAGE RACE AND OMNIUM GENERAL CLASSIFICATION SCORING

General Classification points for the stage race and omnium are assigned for finishing order of each
stage, as well as bonus points for the top three KOM leaders at the Mt Hamilton Road Race, as well
as primes at Stage Three – The Red Kite Memorial Day Criterium as follows:"

Got it, thanks!

Just notice the crit is at the Livermore course. For some reason, I thought they were incorporating the Memorial Day crit from Morgan Hill.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.