Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

My tent was stolen!!!

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

My tent was stolen!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-10, 06:00 AM

Bikes: Giant FCR3, Surly LHT

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Its just a tent, they are not that expensive. Buy a new one and shrug it off. No reason for the loss of a tent to stop you from touring. Next time, try not to leave it alone but those were some extenuating circumstances.
Old 06-06-10, 06:12 AM
Neil_B

Originally Posted by Jerry L
Why is it "bad form" to camp out in a city park ? I understand that it's not a campground, but what harm would there have been for the cop to check him out and simply ask him to be gone first thing in the morning ? Over the past years I've read of plenty of accounts of this happening (I've never been bothered). I guess I just take issue with cops hassling people just because they can.
Perhaps the Village of Shannon doesn't allow people to camp in their town parks?

Old 06-06-10, 06:28 AM
Neil_B

Originally Posted by The Historian
Perhaps the Village of Shannon doesn't allow people to camp in their town parks?
Except that it's clear the policeman did allow the OP to camp in A town park. Presumably this is the one block park in the center of town - it's unlikely the town would put a gazebo on the outskirts.

Based on the information presented by the OP and what I've gathered on the Village of Shannon, my opinion is that the OP set up camp in a place that was either private property - the school grounds, perhaps, or the ball field - or was considered to be unsafe at night. (The cop was either called about the OP's campsite, or he was on regular patrol in that area at 10:30 PM in a sleepy little town.) The policeman was helping the OP by getting him to move from an unsafe place. This explanation fits the given facts at least as well as some others mentioned in this thread.

Old 06-06-10, 07:33 AM
Hooked on Touring

Liked 158 Times in 101 Posts
Many small Midwestern towns have a couple of parks.
Camping is permitted - often for free - in only one of the parks.
(Usually the park on the edge of town.)

In today's world, strangers camping in a park can have a discouraging effect on local use.
So the town is being quite generous - albeit with a few conditions.

I am sorry that the poster lost his tent -
But I think his statement is FULL of presumptions -
As are many of the comments.

Big towns are different - but tiny towns are very hospitable.
I have never had a problem camping either in a park or behind a church.
But I ask first.
Old 06-07-10, 08:52 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by positron
Riiiiiiiight, you clearly do not deal with many cops do you? Abuse of power and corruption are rampant. Not all, but MANY.
Actually, because of my other hobby and what I do for a living I have a good deal of experience with local law enforcement and federal law enforcement.

There are good cops and bad cops. It is easier for bad cops to hide in a COMPLETELY bad small town station or in a VERY large station.

You almost never hear of the majority of the good cops out there just doing their normal job. The bad cops and the "good cops" who write about all the corruption in the station that they were forced out of receive all the publicity.

You sir have police officer hatred. I am not surprised if you get hassled by every cop you deal with.

Oh gimme a break, when did teenagers ever have respect? Oh, right, let me guess: back in the glory days when you were young... funny, it seems like every generation thinks the same way...
Yes, the teenagers of my generation had more respect for other people's stuff than the teenagers of today. This is not the say that there were not problem kids, but today, I think there are more problem kids than good kids.

UH, camping in a city park is not stealth camping. Had the OP actually BEEN stealth camping, the cop would never have seen him... that's sort of the point of stealth camping.... not to be noticed or hassled. OP, next time, try hiding out of sight, and enjoy a peaceful nights rest. Camping in city parks is stupid for a number of reasons, bored hick cops are just one of them.
Call it what you want to call it, he was camping in an area where he had no permission.
How would you like to tittle it?

Originally Posted by hopperja
It's the cop's job to enforce the law. You were probably either trespassing, illegally camping, or both. He told you to leave, told you another place you could go, and he was kind enough to not take you to jail for the trespassing and/or illegal camping. YOU broke the law, YOU made a silly choice to leave your nice tent behind, YOU took an extra long time getting back to your tent, and it's the cop's fault! Really, your statement should be, "if it weren't for the law prohibiting me from being there," or, "I wish the police wouldn't enforce the law." The cop is just the messenger...
Hopperia, I tend to agree with you.
I think this was a nice cop. He had to enforce the law, but told the OP where he could camp and didn't issue him a ticket/summons OR take him to the gray bar motel.

Again to the OP, it sucks that someone re appropriated your gear.
Old 06-07-10, 09:04 AM
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Shannon, unsafe???? Now, that's funny!
Old 06-07-10, 09:10 AM
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Just as a POI, I have tent camped in many small towns all across the US. We usually try to find the local constabulary, and ask where we could camp overnight.

Mostly, they direct us to a park on the edge of town, most likely a swimming pool - they even usually let us use the showers and rest rooms. They usually check on us during the night as well.

Second choice, a church yard - asking the local Pastor if we can spend the night - and they usually offer any facility they have.

Third choice, not finding anyone to ask - behind the local church, close to the building(hard to see) - or stealth camped out of sight, wherever we can find.

We have never been refused, in small town America, and Shannon would certainly qualify.

Sorry your tent was stolen - but it was probably by local teenagers just up to mischief.