Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

New classic frame

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

New classic frame

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-21, 01:30 PM

Bikes: 82 Medici, 85 Ironman, 2011 Richard Sachs

Liked 2,242 Times in 1,220 Posts
I think the colors line up just fine on that Panasonic--just not horizontal.
And if I was to ever get another new bike, I would have to be sure that I would never want to sell it. I have very rarely sold a vintage bike at a loss but I will never get my money back from my Milwaukee.
Old 10-18-21, 02:03 PM

Liked 3,122 Times in 1,927 Posts
Originally Posted by johnnyace
Meanwhile, over on ebay...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/165095792999

Originally Posted by Classtime
It looks like they were trying to make a diagonal masking of the white/red transition across the fork, down and seat tubes, but the downtube transition is a bit too high (or not angled correctly). Maybe it's just the angle of the photo or my eyes aren't calibrated correctly.
Old 10-18-21, 05:31 PM

Bikes: Simoncini, Wilier (2), Cinelli Supercorsa, Cicli Barco XCr

Liked 84 Times in 42 Posts
Better option than a stock bare frame from Japan

Originally Posted by phtomita
Would you buy a brand new classic frame?
https://cycle.panasonic.com/products..._order/frcc02/
Cost will be $1480 + $150 shipping + taxes (+ extra for painting).
With the additional cost of frame painting you are very close to what it would cost to get a fully custom made lugged frame steel bike handmade in Italy by one of the best frame makers in the world that is painted the way you want.
Cicli Barco has been making steel frames for 74 years. Their work is spectacular. Gianluca Barco is their contact and speaks fluent English. And he is an expert at getting the frame sizing exactly for you. They were awarded "Best of Italy" in the last Bespoked, the English version of the North American Handmade Bicycle Show two years ago. Although most of their bikes now are made with Columbus XCr stainless steel tubing, (very expensive tubes) they still do a variety of Columbus steel tubing in either TIG welded or lugged. They have a large number of options and you can get what ever you want. They also can get some great components at good prices from Campy and other European makers. They can also do a full bike if you want.

I had a custom XCr frame made by them about two years ago the price was much less than anything I could get in the US. It took about 6 months and I had about 145 emails between Gianluca and myself. You can email him for a price list and lug options etc at: info@ciclibarco.it Right now they are in England for this year's Bespoked bike show so they may not respond immediately.

Check them out on FaceBook or Instagram for photos of their work. Also see: https://www.cyclist.co.uk/reviews/66...rco-xcr-review https://business.facebook.com/cicli.barco/..

Last edited by Johnk3; 10-18-21 at 05:34 PM. Reason: correct and add.
Likes For Johnk3:
Old 10-18-21, 05:54 PM

Bikes: Indeed!

Liked 3,806 Times in 1,202 Posts
Originally Posted by Johnk3
With the additional cost of frame painting you are very close to what it would cost to get a fully custom made lugged frame steel bike handmade in Italy by one of the best frame makers in the world that is painted the way you want...
Their lugged frames must be much cheaper than the TIG frame featured in the cyclist.co.uk review you linked, since that one, with fork, comes to $4,000 before tax and shipping.
Brent
Old 10-18-21, 06:04 PM

Liked 2,023 Times in 989 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
It looks like they were trying to make a diagonal masking of the white/red transition across the fork, down and seat tubes, but the downtube transition is a bit too high (or not angled correctly). Maybe it's just the angle of the photo or my eyes aren't calibrated correctly.
Likes For P!N20:
Old 10-18-21, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by obrentharris
Their lugged frames must be much cheaper than the TIG frame featured in the cyclist.co.uk review you linked, since that one, with fork, comes to $4,000 before tax and shipping.
Brent
What is cheaper isn't the difference between lugged or TIG; it is the difference between the very expensive stainless steel Columbus XCr tubing and the non-stainless tubing. A set of bare XCr tubes list price is about $900. Besides, frames made in Italy and shipped to the US come free of VAT tax which is about 15%. Barco makes Columbus non-stainless steel frames which are a lot cheaper than the XCr. My XCr frame cost me $3,700 including shipping two years ago. The US import tax was only about $38 including a bunch of Campy stuff and carbon stuff.. And I had every high cost option on it. Barco will make regular steel like Columbus Spirit or SL for a lot less than the XCr frames. They even use stainless lugs because they are better than chrome and don't rust.
Old 10-18-21, 07:58 PM
hoppipola

Bikes: fausto coppi

Liked 228 Times in 164 Posts
Originally Posted by Bad Lag
I would not buy that frame. If I did, I certainly would not outfit it as shown with all those modern components.

To me, that frame represents the very last generation of steel frames. In that regard, I do not see it as classic, at all. Vertical drop outs, cast stay ends/seat lug,... so many of the details are non-traditional, non-classic.

I'm not going to even bother discussing the components, I just wouldn't have them. That frame might be okay if it were outfitted with Nuovo or Super Record or even first generation Dura Ace (most fitting of all) but then it would be a mismatch of eras.

Buy a truly classic & vintage frame, not a knock off. Get an old, Italian - MASI or CINELLI or an old COLNAGO, etc. Get an old, British bike. How about a PEUGEOT PX-10 or a SCHWINN PARAMOUNT?

P.S. - Nothing I am posting is meant to disparage what I am sure is an excellent steel frame. It just isn't classic and I wouldn't spend that kind of money on it.
Look at the fourth picture with the frame alone, the dropouts are horizontal there..
Old 10-18-21, 08:24 PM
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Liked 8,086 Times in 4,486 Posts
Originally Posted by Classtime
And if I was to ever get another new bike, I would have to be sure that I would never want to sell it. I have very rarely sold a vintage bike at a loss but I will never get my money back from my Milwaukee.
The top of the red has 4 different angles, depending on which tube you look at.

It's actually something that is confusingly kinda common, if you look at internet bike paint pics.
Old 10-19-21, 07:32 AM

Where are the speakers?
Old 10-19-21, 12:09 PM

Liked 332 Times in 248 Posts
I have seen and examined several of the Panasonics imported by Yellow Jersey in recent years. Quality is superb. Flash is non-existent. The value is there if it is what you want. IMO they are a great value if it is what you want.

Unless you speak Japanese the process of working with the builder is not happening. At the price no reason the builder should give you endless therapy time.
Old 10-19-21, 01:41 PM

Bikes: '87 Centurion Ironman, '86 Nishiki Tri-A, '84 Centurion PT15

Liked 257 Times in 125 Posts
Originally Posted by holytrousers
Look at the fourth picture with the frame alone, the dropouts are horizontal there..
If you purchase only frameset you can chose from vertical or horizontal dropouts.
I think if you buy a complete bike you get vertical one and direct FD mount. For frameset you can ask to not have it and use the clamp FD instead.
Old 10-19-21, 01:47 PM
small ring

Liked 991 Times in 384 Posts
As much as I love old steel bikes, sometimes it's nice to have something new. I bought a new steel frame and it puts a smile on my face every time I ride it. If you like it, get it.
Likes For droppedandlost:
Old 10-19-21, 01:58 PM
hoppipola

Originally Posted by phtomita
If you purchase only frameset you can chose from vertical or horizontal dropouts.
I think if you buy a complete bike you get vertical one and direct FD mount. For frameset you can ask to not have it and use the clamp FD instead.
Thanks for the explanation,
Recently i've watched a documentary about a classic frame builder in Japan, Konno Shinichi...
don't you think it's better to purchase a new classical frame from an artisan rather than from a website ?
Here is the interview : https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/o...video/2058713/
Old 10-20-21, 12:00 AM

Liked 103 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by 63rickert
I have seen and examined several of the Panasonics imported by Yellow Jersey in recent years. [...] Unless you speak Japanese the process of working with the builder is not happening. At the price no reason the builder should give you endless therapy time.
For a Panasonic POS, you don't have to work with the builder. You can (and I think normally do) go to a shop listed by Panasonic as dealing with POS orders. There are dozens of these across Tokyo alone. (I can't speak from experience: I bought my frame used.) Among these, some are known to be pretty fluent in English.

Yes, you would have to be in Japan. This of course would present difficulties for many.

Recently i've watched a documentary about a classic frame builder in Japan, Konno Shinichi... don't you think it's better to purchase a new classical frame from an artisan rather than from a website ?
It's not obvious to me that you can order a Panasonic frame or bike from the website. Rather, the website tells you what's available, and you go to an actual, physical bike shop, and discuss the matter with a human.

Konno is the man heading the company that makes and sells Cherubim frames. The company's website is rather swish, and I'm pretty sure that Konno works with assistants. (I don't mean to knock the bikes; I've no reason to think they're not excellent.) Japan has plenty of other framebuilders who really do seem to work by themselves, perhaps with the occasional apprentice: Baramon, Raizin, Ohtaki, Yanagi, Equilibrium, etc.
Old 10-20-21, 03:58 AM
hoppipola

Originally Posted by microcord
It's not obvious to me that you can order a Panasonic frame or bike from the website. Rather, the website tells you what's available, and you go to an actual, physical bike shop, and discuss the matter with a human.

Konno is the man heading the company that makes and sells Cherubim frames. The company's website is rather swish, and I'm pretty sure that Konno works with assistants. (I don't mean to knock the bikes; I've no reason to think they're not excellent.) Japan has plenty of other framebuilders who really do seem to work by themselves, perhaps with the occasional apprentice: Baramon, Raizin, Ohtaki, Yanagi, Equilibrium, etc.
They do all look great
too bad my japanese didn't get past learning the kanas.
So you think it's better to support those artisans rather than buy from a big company?
Old 10-20-21, 05:46 AM

Liked 103 Times in 54 Posts
So you think it's better to support those artisans rather than buy from a big company?
Panasonic is of course a vast company. I've no idea about the status within it of the order/custom-made sporty bikes sector. (Imaginably, very secure. Imaginably, surviving only because of its sentimental value to a couple of elderly bigwigs on the board of directors, and doomed when they retire. Of course, I hope that it's the former.)

Although my own frame is a Panasonic, I do hope that a lot of artisans in small workshops across Japan (and of course elsewhere) will continue to produce and repair frames, one by one.
Likes For microcord:
Old 10-20-21, 10:06 AM
hoppipola

Originally Posted by microcord
Panasonic is of course a vast company. I've no idea about the status within it of the order/custom-made sporty bikes sector. (Imaginably, very secure. Imaginably, surviving only because of its sentimental value to a couple of elderly bigwigs on the board of directors, and doomed when they retire. Of course, I hope that it's the former.)

Although my own frame is a Panasonic, I do hope that a lot of artisans in small workshops across Japan (and of course elsewhere) will continue to produce and repair frames, one by one.
Maybe also add the tradition and identity component to it also.
Old 10-20-21, 07:55 PM

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Liked 807 Times in 459 Posts
My comment references the image at the OP's link, as seen below.