Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

How were you hit by a car (or never hit)?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

How were you hit by a car (or never hit)?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-11, 12:59 PM

Bikes: Bianchi Axis, De Rosa Merak

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Never got hit by a car or hit a car but I did hit a person when I was 9 and that's the last time I will ever hit anything. Came around a corner very fast and blindsided an elderly woman who could not move as fast. Hit her dead on ripping her pantyhose and causing some road rash on her shins.

Lesson learned - be patient and know your surroundings. This goes the same with flat tires, I've never had a flat from road surfaces in my 6 yrs of enthusiastic road cycling.

I do see some cyclists who either do not ride on the very far right of the car shoulder (for US traffic) or do not take the full lane over. They are right in between and that causes them to get clipped more likely. If they fear getting doored, they should ride slower to use their supplied brakes. That's my .02 cents.

Last edited by coldehammer; 06-06-11 at 01:24 PM.
Old 06-06-11, 01:07 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Liked 3,110 Times in 1,418 Posts
I've had plenty of crashes but have never been hit by a car. How much is luck and how much is skill is impossible to say. But you have to take responsibility for your own safety. Drivers certainly won't.

Pay attention. Learn to read cars' body language. Stay out of the door zone. Scan far down the road to look for danger zones and escape routes. Learn how to bunnyhop, emergency stop, and make a hard 90 at speed. Learn how to stop without skidding; also, learn how to ride a skid.
Old 06-06-11, 01:32 PM

Bikes: Old GT Force

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
coming through an intersection and a car made a left right in front of me. the intersection was at the bottom of a hill, so i was going reasonably fast (25-30 mph). i saw it coming, tried to make turn sharp to get around her, my whole left side made contact with the passengers side quarter panel/lighting assembly. hit the ground hard, got a sweet ambulance ride to the hospital, had tons of cat scans, mris and x-rays done. ended up with a torn meniscus in my left knee, about 100 stitches holding my left elbow together and tons of bruising. still going through legal stuff almost 2 years later since her insurance company is saying it is my fault because i was going at an excessive speed (limit is 30).
Old 06-06-11, 01:38 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pdedes
1. driver turning left intersection hit me as i was going straight through (wound up on the hood of her car)

2. hit from behind (woke up in somebody's driveway)

both collisions, driver at fault.
I was hit in the same manner as #1 on your list. I was ok, concussion, bruises, but no serious injuries. The way she cut the intersection, and the point I was at, she hit me nearly head on. Broke the frame of my Wilier just behind the head-tube, on the top and down-tubes. Taco'd wheel, and a broken helmet too. Luckily she had insurance.
Old 06-06-11, 01:43 PM

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced 3, Trek 520

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So far, I've been lucky - not a single car vs. bike situation ever. And I'd like to keep it that way (I hope this doesn't jinx it). My #1 rule: assume that everyone around you is going to do something incredibly stupid at any moment.

It may be a little paranoid, but it keeps me paying attention at all times and has saved my skin (both in a car and on a bike) more times than I can count.
Old 06-06-11, 01:50 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DeadheadSF
My #1 rule: assume that everyone around you is going to do something incredibly stupid at any moment.
I use exactly the same rule ... I'm 31 and I haven't had any serious accident yet on bike or in car.
Old 06-06-11, 05:29 PM

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Liked 326 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Runner 1
Anyone can look at the crash statistics involving bicycles, but it's not always as simple as some numbers.

So I think if people listed the ways in which they were hit by a car, it would be valuable to the community as others could avoid getting hit in the same manner.
On a bike path with lanes in both directions, riding in the lane traveling in the 'reverse' direction with respect to the adjacent road, by a driver turning right from a cross-street.

Also, there's many here that have never been hit by a car. What do you do to avoid that? Sometimes when I hear advice regarding accident avoidance, I'll think "Well I never thought to do that".
I quit riding on that bike path during times of high traffic and just used the adjacent road instead, taking the lane (one in each direction) where there wasn't much shoulder. Probably annoyed more drivers but I didn't get hit by another car.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 06-06-11 at 05:43 PM.
Old 06-06-11, 05:38 PM
Guitar Master

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Like a few others here I was hit while going through an intersection by a driver who was turning left. The driver was 92! I spent a week in the hospital with a collapsed lung and I'm still going to physio for pain in my foot, thumb and shoulder and it's been almost a year . It was a Friday morning and I was heading to work to get my equipment together for a dental technology registration exam that they hold only once a year. I missed the exam

I still ride because I love it but I don't commute to work by bike anymore and I am very cautious when it comes to cars and other cyclists (don't trust anybody).