Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Campagnolo Record 8 speed history

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Campagnolo Record 8 speed history

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-23, 03:46 PM
Steel is real

Bikes: 40 - accumulated over 40 years

Liked 1,229 Times in 333 Posts
For my life I cannot remember from where I got these pictures and info. Please tell me if you know - so that the original source can be credited. I saved it in 2012-2013 but it must be pre 11-speed (pre 2009). I have found it most handy to consult from time to time. 11-speed fits the two last profiles.

edit. This info was found long ago at Branford bike.

Last edited by styggno1; 11-07-23 at 04:19 PM.
Likes For styggno1:
Old 11-07-23, 04:09 PM

Liked 74 Times in 51 Posts
Branford bike ?
Likes For redshift1:
Old 11-07-23, 04:16 PM
Steel is real

Bikes: 40 - accumulated over 40 years

Liked 1,229 Times in 333 Posts
Originally Posted by redshift1
Branford bike ?
Googled it. It seems like it. Thank you Branford bike! (edit - and thank you redshift1) There seem to be some interesting info over there:
https://branfordbike.com/knowledge-base
Likes For styggno1:
Old 11-07-23, 04:38 PM

Bikes: Peugeot, Legnano, Fuji, Zunow, De Rosa, Miyata, Bianchi, Pinarello, Specialized, Bridgestone, Cinelli, Merckx

Liked 572 Times in 248 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
I have two 1990/1991 Record rear derailleurs, and they look very similar to that one, but not exact. Similar cable adjuster. Same hanger bolt. They use an old school hex nut for the cable anchor. The wheels have like 14 ball bearings each. Your faceplate appears more curved than mine. And the inner cage plate is different, with mine having no tab for chain routing. Here is one of them:

The limit screws in the '90/'91 Record are different lengths, with the high limit being shorter. Still, the low limit isn't long enough to use with 7-speed friction, so I had to use one from an old Suntour mech.

Cage tension is adjusted from the outside, with the screw highlighted here:
Additionally the non-drive side crank arm looks like it may have a different finish that what Record examples carried. Subtle differences and from a performance perspective probably no different.
Likes For billytwosheds:
Old 11-07-23, 05:10 PM

Liked 2,023 Times in 989 Posts
In addition to Brandford Bike's excellent resource, I have a Veloce Campy hub that happily takes 8, 9, 10 and most likely 11 speed cassettes without any modifications or after market spacers:

Campagnolo 8 Speed Alloy Hub Spline
Old 11-08-23, 04:47 AM
Strong Walker

Bikes: too many

Liked 511 Times in 270 Posts
Originally Posted by majmt
Correct me if I’m wrong but I think that the difference is that the EXA combination has one spline wider than the rest so the cassette builds up correctly on the freehub. IIRC EXA cassettes should work on non-EXA freehubs.
The higher end hubs and wheels at that time, like Shamals, came with the EXA Ti body. I think most (all) had the "Titanium" in their name to indicate this.
As both the old shallow spline freewheels and the ti exa ones were on the market at the same time, some but not all "not ti" 8 Speed hubs can be converted from a donor hub, I believe swapping the axle and the freehub were the steps necessary.

On the topic of gearing range; in my experience a long cage derailleur isn't absolutely necessary to accommodate a triple crank. I rode a racing triple with a short cage record derailleur (albeit 10spd) on 12-26/12-27 for years - it works of you keep in mind to avoid large-large and short-short gearing, which I, being trained old school do anyway.

Last edited by martl; 11-08-23 at 04:58 AM.