Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Distance and elevation gain...

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Distance and elevation gain...

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-20, 06:12 PM

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Liked 7,881 Times in 3,141 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
This is such a dumb rabbit hole. From now on, when someone asks me, "how far did you ride today?" I'm going to answer, "2994kj"
29,940,000,000,000 ergs sounds more impressive.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 11-05-20, 06:39 AM
Expired Member

Liked 5,984 Times in 3,015 Posts
Originally Posted by Bio
hmmm
Yes indeed!
Old 11-05-20, 10:08 AM

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Liked 2,017 Times in 1,260 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
A mile is a unit of linear measure. If two cyclists each ride 500 miles, they will have both ridden 500 miles, regardless of terrain or any differences in terrain between the two courses ridden.

If you want to know if there is a way to compare the energy expended between flat and hilly miles, then ask that.
Fair enough. But to my mind, this forum is more like a conversation than a refereed, peer reviewed journal posting or a judicial opinion site. Isn't it fair for a non-expert to start off with a general question and then refine the question during the conversation?
Old 11-05-20, 04:31 PM

Liked 16,252 Times in 7,633 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
Fair enough. But to my mind, this forum is more like a conversation than a refereed, peer reviewed journal posting or a judicial opinion site. Isn't it fair for a non-expert to start off with a general question and then refine the question during the conversation?
He didn’t refine the question, at least not when I posted that response. The fact remains that 500 miles is 500 miles, regardless of terrain. BTW...Look at the link I posted in another response. He basically asked what I think he was trying to ask here many years ago.
Old 11-06-20, 01:11 PM

Liked 112 Times in 81 Posts
Originally Posted by kirbyx
If Strava tells me that this month I have biked about 500 miles with 35,000 ft of elevation gain, about how many miles would that be equivalent to if the elevation gain were a few hundred feet?

if Strava uses a file generated by a wheel based speedometer/distance measurement (most common for downloaded files) the climbing does not modify the distance. If the Strava file is generated from a GPS signal that assumes 250 miles with a 35,000 this would mean that you would have ridden 250 miles on the flat and 6.6 up (and presumably down). The trig function A^2 + B^2 = C^2. So the length of the hypotenuse is 250.087 or about 2 10ths of a mile longer than 500 miles.

Climbing does not add appreciably to the length of a ride regardless of what it makes you feel like.
Likes For RiceAWay:
Old 11-06-20, 02:43 PM

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by kirbyx
If Strava tells me that this month I have biked about 500 miles with 35,000 ft of elevation gain, about how many miles would that be equivalent to if the elevation gain were a few hundred feet?
I only skimmed the answers above and didn't see the answer I was looking for, but I've also pondered this question in the past, to myself. And I remember comparing various flat and hilly rides I had done, all with a PowerTap G3 hub power meter, comparing power avgs. and calories expended, and it was that ~1000' of climbing was equal to ~10 miles of flatland. So a 50 mile ride with 2,000' of climbing is like a 70 mile flat ride, though I have no empirical evidence to back that up. And a lot of bike and rider variables can sway those numbers.

Once you utilize a power meter, you'll see that a 6% hill climb at 250 watts for an hour, is the same "effort" as a flat ride at 250 watts for an hour, but just a whole lot less distance on the hill climb.

Last edited by Riveting; 11-06-20 at 02:48 PM.
Likes For Riveting:
Old 11-06-20, 03:23 PM

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Originally Posted by CargoDane
I will certainly be more busted on the mountain route, whereas on the flats, 35 miles is nothing.
Untrue, 35 miles is far from nothing, and is torturous hell if you're doing 350 watts the whole time, and mountains are easy if you get a great big granny gear and put out 180 watts the whole time. Without including power in these discussions, is like telling someone you went to the gym and did 20 reps on the bench press, but without mentioning how much was on the bar.
Likes For Riveting:
Old 11-06-20, 03:32 PM
Not a newbie to cycling

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Liked 323 Times in 199 Posts
Originally Posted by Riveting
Untrue, 35 miles is far from nothing, and is torturous hell if you're doing 350 watts the whole time, and mountains are easy if you get a great big granny gear and put out 180 watts the whole time. Without including power in these discussions, is like telling someone you went to the gym and did 20 reps on the bench press, but without mentioning how much was on the bar.
No, the difference being that I don't need to put out the same amount of power on the flat to go fast enough (I am not a spinner), and as such I don't actually put out the same amount of power as I do uphill.
It is only the same if you ride your bike and adjust your speed and gearing according to a power meter in order to keep the power output the same regardless of it being uphill, downhill or flat. If you just ride your bike, uphill is harder than on the flat.

The only people who care solely about power output and time, but not distance (destination) and getting there are people who do not need to be anywhere, and hence use their power meter as a measure for everything - regardless of the time to get somewhere and accumulated energy used.

Yes, same output over the same time = same accumulated energy used. But that's not how most people who use a bike for transportation rides. You can't stop halfway to your destination and pretend you're there.

Last edited by CargoDane; 11-06-20 at 03:38 PM.
Old 11-06-20, 03:59 PM

No, the difference being that I don't need to put out the same amount of power on the flat to go fast enough (I am not a spinner), and as such I don't actually put out the same amount of power as I do uphill.
There is truth in what you say. On a pure hill climb, without any downhills, you either put out the minimal effort required to move forward and upward, or you come to a stop, and that requirement for non-stop sustained effort can be very energy depleting. Whereas flat riding allows you to stop pedaling and just coast, while you recover, or you can put out a very low amount of power and still move forward. In that respect a hill IS much harder, because it REQUIRES constant effort, whereas flat riding allows someone to slack off and recover a bit, or go as slow as they like. I've ridden 31,000 miles in the last ~6 years, and my hardest efforts (1,000+ watt sprints, and a 24 hr ride of 325 miles) were all on the flats. I've also done multiple 6,400' sustained climbs to the top of Mt Evans in CO to an elevation of 14,100', in my granny gear, at a snail's pace, while being severely depleted of oxygen, but going slow, so it was "easy". As well as riding many 1,000's of miles of commuting, sometimes at 500 watts to get some training in while I commute, and a 111 mile gravel ride with 13,500' of climbing. But when I think back on it all, the stuff I did on the flats was the most I've suffered. The gradient of the road in front of you does not dictate how hard the ride will be, that's all up to the rider.

Last edited by Riveting; 11-06-20 at 04:03 PM.
Old 11-06-20, 04:07 PM
Not a newbie to cycling

Again with your time-defined sprints and trips. I don't use a bicycle to do "one hour/24H" stints. I use it to go from a to b in a timely manner. If I go to Point B that happens to be up a hill, that will be harder than going back to Point A downhill. If I go from Point A to Point C that is the same distance as my Up-hill Point B, but is on the flat, I will use less energy to get there than I did to get to Point B (the one up the hill).
However, if I put out the same amount of power up the hill as I do on the flat, it will take me a whole lot longer to get to point B (Up-the-hill).

Not everyone goes for "training sessions" of specific time periods, where your speed is ruled by meeting a set power output, but actually go places.

That is all.
Old 11-06-20, 04:33 PM

Again with your time-defined sprints and trips. I don't use a bicycle to do "one hour/24H" stints. I use it to go from a to b in a timely manner. If I go to Point B that happens to be up a hill, that will be harder than going back to Point A downhill. If I go from Point A to Point C that is the same distance as my Up-hill Point B, but is on the flat, I will use less energy to get there than I did to get to Point B (the one up the hill).
However, if I put out the same amount of power up the hill as I do on the flat, it will take me a whole lot longer to get to point B (Up-the-hill).

Not everyone goes for "training sessions" of specific time periods, where your speed is ruled by meeting a set power output, but actually go places.

That is all.
I didn't start out by doing these "stints", I was a year round commuter for a few years and just gravitated towards the stints because they made me push myself to get fitter an I enjoy the journey getting to higher levels of fitness, speed, and power. I'm not disparaging why you ride, that's up to you. But don't put out there as a blanket statement that hills are harder than the flats, it's simply not completely true. A ride is as hard as you want to make it, but if you don't, then that's fine too.

That is all.
Old 11-06-20, 04:38 PM
Not a newbie to cycling

It doesn't matter if you started out with those "stints" or not. You're using them as argument to somehow prove it is as easy going up hill as it going on the flat (and therefore also downhill).

That is only true if you don't actually use your bike as transportation, but merely as a time-limited/time defined exercise while outputting the same power regardless of the topography.

In those very specific set of circumstances, you are obviously right. But I use my bike for transportation, and I vary my power output.

If you need to ride 35 miles and be somewhere rather than "whenever" because you only care about "power output", then it does matter if it's uphill or not.
You're treating all cycling the same as a set time on a trainer/roller while watching a power meter.
Old 11-06-20, 04:40 PM

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
It doesn't matter if you started out with those "stints" or not. You're using them as argument to somehow prove it is as easy going up hill as it going on the flat (and therefore also downhill).

That is only true if you don't actually use your bike as transportation, but merely as a time-limited/time defined exercise while outputting the same power regardless of the topography.

In those specific set of circumstances, you are obviously right. But I use my bike for transportation, and I vary my power output.
So what I'm hearing you say is that he's wrong because you're lazy on the flats?
Old 11-06-20, 05:00 PM
Not a newbie to cycling

Originally Posted by WhyFi
So what I'm hearing you say is that he's wrong because you're lazy on the flats?
No, if that's what you're "hearing" you need to clear out those ears:
I am saying that I'd rather be going on the flat with a load because I can go faster with less effort than I can if I go uphill. 35 miles to destination B uphill will take me longer even with more energy output per hour than 35 miles on the flat to destination C will.

Again: Most people don't treat cycling as a mobile exercise bike going nowhere. It has nothing to do with being lazy, but all to do with the reality of actually going places. It is not merely an exercise with scenery going past.

If he is adamant, he should try riding a heavily loaded cargo bike and perhaps even with a trailer and actually go places, and be at that place before a certain time.

What he does can be acheived on an indoor trainer/rollers. So he is right, that in those very specific circumstances, it doesn't really matter as it is the same.

Last edited by CargoDane; 11-06-20 at 05:04 PM.
Old 11-06-20, 06:16 PM

What he does can be acheived on an indoor trainer/rollers.
I don't think I could ride to the top of Mt Evans on rollers. But I would be open to discussing how such a thing would be done, you go first...
Old 11-06-20, 06:21 PM
Not a newbie to cycling

Originally Posted by Riveting
I don't think I could ride to the top of Mt Evans on rollers. But I would be open to discussing how such a thing would be done, you go first...
What you describe in the above is not what your argument was in your previous posts. Namely; using the same output for a set amount of time. You occassionally actually going places doesn't change your argument.
I am sure you too can go to actual places. Most people on a bike can. You outputting the same amount of power over a set time is not the same. And that is what you can do on indoor roller/trainer.