Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-11, 06:15 AM

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Liked 226 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
Looks like a great frame to build up a very decent commuter or a very nice touring / expedition bike.
+1 Great suggestion!!! I'd have it cleaned and built into a nice commuter/touring bike overnight!!! These were not cheap bikes when new.

BTW, nice color. Celeste/Sea Foam green?

CrossCut (not an Apex)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
photoze094..jpg (104.8 KB, 62 views)

Last edited by cycleheimer; 04-24-11 at 06:25 AM.
Old 04-24-11, 08:28 AM

Bikes: 1977 Raleigh Super Grand Prix, 1976 Gitane Tour de France

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Picked up this World Traveler at Goodwill the other day and I'm having trouble dating it, little help please?

Old 04-24-11, 08:59 AM

Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
[QUOTE=toytech;12547809]Somehow everyone missed a Raleigh Grand Sports today on Craiglist with Dura Ace deraileurs and Stronglight cranks... must have been the stem shifters that threw everyone off.

QUOTE]

toytech - Am I to assume that "everyone" excludes the first person in the above post**********???
Old 04-24-11, 12:51 PM

Bikes: enough bikes to qualify for Hoarders......

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
everyone but my son and I apparently it was up for almost a full day(he is the one who spotted it and told me about it)
Old 04-24-11, 02:31 PM
Chainstay Brake Mafia

Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by FORDSVTPARTS
Picked up this World Traveler at Goodwill the other day and I'm having trouble dating it, little help please?
Flowers always help

is there a 4 digit code stamped on the badge?
Old 04-24-11, 03:35 PM

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
Off the top of my head, without any numbers, I'd feel safe in saying 1972 or 1973. That's the years I remember them being made.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 04-24-11, 03:57 PM

Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by toytech
everyone but my son and I apparently it was up for almost a full day(he is the one who spotted it and told me about it)
I don't want to know what you paid for it - a GS going incognito - blending in with all the Huffy's and Free Spirits on your local CL - But I am sure it was good.
Script logo yet - White and Lagoon blue, like a little piece of Paradise!
Congrats!

(Let's see again, it all cleaned up soon!)
Old 04-24-11, 04:22 PM

Bikes: 1977 Raleigh Super Grand Prix, 1976 Gitane Tour de France

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks guys, no number on the head badge but the '72-'73 sounds about right to me as well.
Old 04-24-11, 05:03 PM
missing in action

Liked 49 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by frantik

most excited about this catch.. i got this mid 80s Diamondback Apex mtb frame for $15.. still deciding if i want the biopace triple crankset, blackburn rack and bottle holder for $25 more (lol jk, i decided i want em). the frame's been sitting at my LBS for a few weeks now.. I asked him about it today and he's all you can have it for whatever you want to pay.. i was like, uh $20, and he's like well you can have just the frame for $15 but i want the other stuff unless you want to pay more.. he even trusted me to take the frame home and remove the stuff myself.. course now that it's home i dont wanna remove anything
The LBS has a Blackburn MTN front rack in the same color as yours if you want to have a matching set. They also have a generic rear rack in neon pink
Old 04-24-11, 06:24 PM
Chainstay Brake Mafia

^ you are a bad bad man...
Old 04-24-11, 07:18 PM
missing in action

Liked 49 Times in 29 Posts
I'm a world-class enabler. Spending other people's money is a passion of mine.
Old 04-24-11, 07:45 PM
Keeper of the SLDB

Bikes: '75 Schwinn Paramount P-10, '86 Ritchey Commando, '87 Schwinn Cimarron, '91 Trek 990, '87 Schwinn High Sierra, '73 Schwinn Super Sport, '4? Schwinn New World, '76 Swing Bike.

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ish
Pre-serial number Tom Ritchey road frame.
Oh my ... one of my grail bikes (and my size too). I shouldn't be hating you on Easter, so I won't. Envy? No doubt!

Congrats,

Bob
Old 04-24-11, 07:48 PM
Keeper of the SLDB

Bikes: '75 Schwinn Paramount P-10, '86 Ritchey Commando, '87 Schwinn Cimarron, '91 Trek 990, '87 Schwinn High Sierra, '73 Schwinn Super Sport, '4? Schwinn New World, '76 Swing Bike.

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
2Gxxxxx decodes to July of 1972 for the frame build. Was considered a 1973 "model". Schwinn's first import along with the World Voyageur.

https://www.schwinnbikeforum.com/SLDB...73wowners1.htm

Bob
Old 04-25-11, 05:11 AM
Chainstay Brake Mafia

Originally Posted by cycleheimer
BTW, nice color. Celeste/Sea Foam green?
yep i love the color.. that's actually why i bought it in the first place.. i didn't even realize it was so high quality until i started looking at it more closely. I always thought diamond back was a low end brand.. i didn't know it was the same company as centurion. i did the ol "lift test" though and could tell it would build up nice

just need to find a donor bike for it now. it's got weird "u-brakes" in the rear which i will have to find
Old 04-25-11, 07:18 AM
Midwest Ullrich

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Scored a pair of matching Ultegra 6500 Mavic open pro wheel set for $75. The wheels are true and skewers have only minor scratches. I am surprised I could get them 3 days after the CL posting was listed. I hope I did not overpay!
Old 04-26-11, 08:08 PM
FlightOfTheConcorde

Bikes: '11 Opus Triton, '74 Fuji S10-S, '80s Concorde RoadWork

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I restored my dad’s old 74 Fuji touring bike. He gave it away to a local scrap dealer...where is sat for two years... until I found it, pulled from the heap and tossed beside a garden shed under some roofing!
It called for a tear down and re-paint. I kept most of the original parts:
Campy derailleurs, Gnutti hubs, Ambrosio rims, Nitto bars, Dia Compe brakes, etc.
This was the result:
Attached Images
Fuji 2.jpg (48.0 KB, 100 views)
Fuji 1.jpg (60.8 KB, 109 views)
Old 04-26-11, 08:16 PM
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Liked 134 Times in 99 Posts
yep i love the color.. that's actually why i bought it in the first place.. i didn't even realize it was so high quality until i started looking at it more closely. I always thought diamond back was a low end brand.. i didn't know it was the same company as centurion. i did the ol "lift test" though and could tell it would build up nice

just need to find a donor bike for it now. it's got weird "u-brakes" in the rear which i will have to find
Finding the rear brake should not be that hard... Shimano made lots of them and I will keep an eye out for as donor for ya.

They are a little harder to set up and take a little more tlc than cantis or v brakes but do offer some great stopping power... they are really good for cleaner riding conditions as they do collect a lot of dirt and mud.

With that being said...I run a set on my winter bike and as long as you keep them adjusted and keep the bushing lubed they are great.

The other route is to spend $50.00 and have a frame builder add some v brake / canti posts for you.
Old 04-27-11, 12:10 AM

Liked 710 Times in 269 Posts

I've had a few of these now and can tell you without a doubt they are nice nice nice. Only thing lacking is a 3rd bottle mount and low rider brazeons.
Both mine came with the cooler than U-brake rollercams. A little (not much) more difficult to set up, but they give phenomenal power when done correctly. Mine also came with a super neat Nitto quill stem with a clamp on extension, much like today's threadless stems. Very cool feature, and I've been looking for some time now for another, to no avail. Mine were both built with Tange MTB double butted tubing; the larger one (20" seat tube) had two bottle braze-ons on top of the down tube, the smaller one (18"seat tube) had one on both down and seat tubes. I took my larger one to a local guy and had him add two bottles (one under the down tube, one on the seat tube, for a total of 4) and relocate the brake posts to the seatstays. Sadly, he did a hack job and ruined the frame. So now it sits on my basement wall.

Edit: Meant to say that they lack dual eyelets on the dropouts F&R, not lowrider mounts.

Last edited by Smokinapankake; 04-27-11 at 12:12 AM. Reason: memory lapse
Old 04-27-11, 12:29 AM

Bikes: Too many to count

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
yes it does have the chain hanger .. here's a pic of one that's built up

and i plan on making it in into some kind of city cruiser hybrid.. might put drop bars on, not sure what kind of handle bars i will use
New to this "vintage thing", I just finished an old Trek with a "chain hanger", what is it for? Dumb questions,, to hang a chain??

Why, It is special? The old Trek was according to the bike shop, a "special order bike" when new.

Before:

After:

Last edited by BHOFM; 04-27-11 at 12:33 AM.
Old 04-27-11, 01:16 AM
Chainstay Brake Mafia

^ those are actually the kind of tires i was thinking about putting on the diamond back

and the chain hanger is for hanging the chain yo.. i guess to keep it off the chain stay
Old 04-27-11, 01:20 AM
Chainstay Brake Mafia

it's also got mounts for racks and fenders on the front and back.. the front has weird braze ons on the side of the fork
Old 04-27-11, 03:29 AM

Bikes: Many

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Theres a junk yard in town that Ive got a few things from. I got a pair of 700c wheels. 9 speed cassette, shimano hubs, 24 bladed spokes on deep v black alloy rims. was going to get tyres and put them on the Rossin I got a few weeks ago. Wheels were £1. I got a mtb disc front wheel at the same time. so 33 pence a wheel.

I was up at the junk yard yesterday. I found a GT LTS2 frame, swingarm, shock, headset cartridges and XT mech. all a bit corroded. I left it at the side, as I found this Univega. Univega Alpina. I think its from mid 90s. Shimano xt rear mech. LX cantilevers. DX levers. The man in the office said put £1 in the charity box. I put all my coins in there. about 73 pence. Bike is my size. Ive got a pair of exage hubs Im going to build up. so might use this. I had originally wanted it for parts tho.

I had my Xmas bike. a bike I had found in the woods, then put in police lost property.

Its an Apollo FS26. Low end bike from a chain store, I used to work for. Its ok. I strapped the univega frame to my rucksack and biked home 10 miles. pedal was sticking in my neck, so my heads like that today
Old 04-27-11, 05:55 AM

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Liked 226 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by alecw35
I found this Univega. Univega Alpina. I think its from mid 90s. Shimano xt rear mech. LX cantilevers. DX levers.
Alexw35,

That was a pretty decent bike, and still is if it is in good condition. You can get more information on it from Bikepedia. You can search around the listings for Univega Alpinas until you locate yours.

Here is the link:

https://bikepedia.com/QuickBike/BikeS...0507&Type=bike
Old 04-27-11, 02:00 PM

Bikes: enough bikes to qualify for Hoarders......

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by auchencrow
I don't want to know what you paid for it - a GS going incognito - blending in with all the Huffy's and Free Spirits on your local CL - But I am sure it was good.
Script logo yet - White and Lagoon blue, like a little piece of Paradise!
Congrats!

(Let's see again, it all cleaned up soon!)
Like this?

Old 04-28-11, 08:11 PM
Banned.

Liked 2,445 Times in 646 Posts
I picked this up, and it's in pretty nice nice shape with only a couple nicks in the paint. Looks like it has all of the original parts.

Anyone know how to clean suede?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.