Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Wabi Classic Build

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Wabi Classic Build

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-14, 03:27 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by SquidPuppet
I have bikes with 3/32 rear sprockets and run a 1/8 chain. They have a lot of potential side to side slop, but when under pedaling torque the are dead quiet. And I have bikes with 3/32 + 3/32 set ups and zero noise.

Thinking out loud here...... Is your chain line 42mms because all the component literature says you will achieve that? Or did you actually measure it? I have had some components NOT produce what they advertised.
I took off the chain and measured it as precise as I could using both a digital caliper, and a ruler.
Old 08-24-14, 03:36 PM
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Liked 35 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by DScience
I took off the chain and measured it as precise as I could using both a digital caliper, and a ruler.
Weird. Well, at least it will be easy for you to name the bike.

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.
Old 08-24-14, 03:40 PM
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Liked 28 Times in 19 Posts
That sound is normal. I don't think I have ever not heard that noise when my head is a few inches from the wheel.
Old 08-24-14, 08:13 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for all the support and input. So far it is riding nice! Here are a few pics I took today at it's current state. I may change some things, but not sure. Here is the parts list if anyone is interested:

49cm Wabi Classic Frame
FSA Orbit X headset
165 SRAM Omnium crankset 48t
GXP bottom bracket
White Industries Track Hubs
White Industries 18t track cog
Velocity A23 rims
Panaracer Pasela 25c
Campagnolo Veloce dual-pivot brakes
Cane Creek 200TT levers
Selle San Marco Concor light
Nitto 65 seat post
Nitto UI-85EX stem
Nitto RB-019 bull horn bars
MKS Sylvan Touring Pedals

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC_4838.jpg (101.9 KB, 261 views)
DSC_4843.jpg (97.4 KB, 227 views)
DSC_4850.jpg (88.1 KB, 223 views)
DSC_4856.jpg (82.0 KB, 206 views)
DSC_4859.jpg (91.4 KB, 211 views)
DSC_4863.jpg (106.9 KB, 214 views)
DSC_4865.jpg (91.7 KB, 195 views)
DSC_4873.jpg (101.5 KB, 196 views)
DSC_4880.jpg (92.4 KB, 192 views)
DSC_4886-2.jpg (100.1 KB, 190 views)
Likes For DScience:
Old 08-24-14, 08:19 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by hairnet
That sound is normal. I don't think I have ever not heard that noise when my head is a few inches from the wheel.
Thanks, yea it rides great so I don't think it's an issue.
Old 08-24-14, 08:32 PM
THE STUFFED

Bikes: R. Sachs Road; EAI Bareknuckle; S-Works Enduro

Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Looks great!

I always have a special place in my heart for light blue bikes with silver components.
Old 08-24-14, 08:40 PM
Kit doesn't match

Bikes: 5

Liked 27 Times in 19 Posts
Nice bike! Nice photos too.
Old 08-25-14, 02:13 AM
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
You know what the noise sounds like to me? A derailleur that's slightly off ... which, of course, you don't have. So I'd be checking to make sure the chain isn't rubbing on something and, when you find it isn't, just lube it up like hell then ride the living daylights out of it. You'll probably find the noise'll go away eventually, even if it's when you replace the (eventually) knackered chain.

Still a good looking bike. Sure you're not just looking for flies in the icing on your cake?
Old 08-25-14, 06:51 AM

Bikes: Nashbar SSCX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very nice build!
Old 08-25-14, 09:49 AM

Bikes: Handsome Fredward, Trek 1.1

Liked 131 Times in 47 Posts
I like you how you ran dummy cable under the tape on the left side.
Old 08-25-14, 10:56 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ok So I have a new problem that might be a big one, and also the source of the noise. This morning while exploring more, I noticed that the rear wheel has a small amount of play. Let me explain: if I grab the top of the wheel and move it left and right, there is a small amount of wiggle. It is definitely apparent. When the wheel is spinning, there is also a small amount of wiggle. This is odd to me for two reasons: the hubs are brand new, and the wheels/rims were dished and trued! Lastly, it appears that the axle is properly held in place by the nuts. Thus the only thing I can think of is the rear hub/axle. But I don't know if I should open a can of worms and disassemble the hub, or take it to a LBS, or contact velomine where I purchased the hubs.

Old 08-25-14, 11:15 AM
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Chain is on backwards too (inverted).

She's pretty, clean build.
Old 08-25-14, 11:20 AM
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Liked 795 Times in 451 Posts
That's probably the main cause of the noisy drivetrain. I'll bet it will quiet down a lot when the chain is installed properly.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 08-25-14, 11:30 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
But I don't know if I should open a can of worms and disassemble the hub, or take it to a LBS, or contact velomine where I purchased the hubs.
Who built the wheels? Maybe you could take it to them to see if perhaps something was loosened and not put back properly when they were assembling your wheels. If you built them yourself, maybe take them in to your LBS and see if they can determine the problem.

How much movement are you finding? Like, tenths of millimeters or full centimeters? Not that either is okay, I'm just sort of interested in how severe the issue is and am wondering if when the wheels were trued/dished if something didn't get put back correctly (or if something was damaged in the building/truing/dishing process).
Old 08-25-14, 11:49 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Update:

I took the rear wheel off, and adjusted the hub and now the wiggle/play is completely gone. However I did notice something else. The wabi track ends are supposed to be 120mm, however I measured it to be 121 mm. I wonder if this is normal or cause for concern.

On another note, the wheel doesn't seem to be spinning cleanly, and doesn't seem like it's true.

Here is a video:

She's pretty, clean build.

I just corrected that.

Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
That's probably the main cause of the noisy drivetrain. I'll bet it will quiet down a lot when the chain is installed properly.
Oddly enough, I installed the chain correctly and the noise is still present!

Originally Posted by heymatthew
Who built the wheels? Maybe you could take it to them to see if perhaps something was loosened and not put back properly when they were assembling your wheels. If you built them yourself, maybe take them in to your LBS and see if they can determine the problem.

How much movement are you finding? Like, tenths of millimeters or full centimeters? Not that either is okay, I'm just sort of interested in how severe the issue is and am wondering if when the wheels were trued/dished if something didn't get put back correctly (or if something was damaged in the building/truing/dishing process).
I ordered these from Velomine.com. The movement was tenths of millimeters, not even apparent visually, just by feel.

Last edited by DScience; 08-29-14 at 08:32 AM.
Old 08-25-14, 11:55 AM

Bikes: i don't have a bike. a few frames, forks and some parts. that's all

Liked 52 Times in 33 Posts
nice
Old 08-25-14, 11:57 AM
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

I can see the wobble in the video, but I can't tell if the wheel (rim) is untrue of if that is just an imperfect tire. FWIW, I have never had a perfect tire. Gotta Put something next to the rim, (a zip tie fastened to a stay will do the trick) to inspect the WHEEL for trueness.

You might inspect the tire mounting too. Make sure it is uniformly seated all the way around, on both sides.

The 121mm spacing is a NON issue.

Edit to add: I don't care what Hairnet says () that thing sounds like it has a low quality, poorly maintained, unlubed derailleur on it. That noise would distract me to the point of crashing.

Last edited by SquidPuppet; 08-25-14 at 12:09 PM.
Old 08-25-14, 11:58 AM
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Liked 795 Times in 451 Posts
Ok So I have a new problem that might be a big one, and also the source of the noise. This morning while exploring more, I noticed that the rear wheel has a small amount of play. Let me explain: if I grab the top of the wheel and move it left and right, there is a small amount of wiggle. It is definitely apparent. When the wheel is spinning, there is also a small amount of wiggle. This is odd to me for two reasons: the hubs are brand new, and the wheels/rims were dished and trued! Lastly, it appears that the axle is properly held in place by the nuts. Thus the only thing I can think of is the rear hub/axle. But I don't know if I should open a can of worms and disassemble the hub, or take it to a LBS, or contact velomine where I purchased the hubs.
Sideplay won't cause any noise, and a tiny amount is no big deal. If the hub bearings are adjustable, then the sideplay can be removed, but I'd rather have a small amount of sideplay than bearings that are too tight. The "wiggle" may or may not be related to the apparent hub play.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 08-25-14, 12:15 PM
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Let's eliminate an over tensioned chain. Rotate the cranks until you find the tightest part of the chain. Then adjust it to where there is some visible slack/weep. Not a ton, but enough so it is free to bounce up and down when you raise the rear wheel off the ground a few inches and drop it. IME an over tight chain doesn't make the exact sound that yours is making, but it definitely makes it noisey.
Old 08-25-14, 12:38 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I can see the wobble in the video, but I can't tell if the wheel (rim) is untrue of if that is just an imperfect tire. FWIW, I have never had a perfect tire. Gotta Put something next to the rim, (a zip tie fastened to a stay will do the trick) to inspect the WHEEL for trueness.

You might inspect the tire mounting too. Make sure it is uniformly seated all the way around, on both sides.

The 121mm spacing is a NON issue.

Edit to add: I don't care what Hairnet says () that thing sounds like it has a low quality, poorly maintained, unlubed derailleur on it. That noise would distract me to the point of crashing.
I did the trick you told me and it does appear that the rim is true.

The tire does seem to be seated pretty well, but I don't think it's a perfect tire.

Now to the sound. Trust me, this sound is bothering me too. Here are some more bits of info that I have explored.

1) With the chain off there is ZERO sound, it's silent.

2) With no chain, the wheel spins forever and there is no wobble, thus I don't think the bearings are binding, or a hub issue.

3) I was worried the chain was defective, so I through on a brand new KMC z410, and it had basically the same noise.

Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
Sideplay won't cause any noise, and a tiny amount is no big deal. If the hub bearings are adjustable, then the sideplay can be removed, but I'd rather have a small amount of sideplay than bearings that are too tight. The "wiggle" may or may not be related to the apparent hub play.
There is no more hub play. Thus I am wondering what would cause the tire to wiggle. Is it possible the axle is bent?
Old 08-25-14, 12:45 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Let's eliminate an over tensioned chain. Rotate the cranks until you find the tightest part of the chain. Then adjust it to where there is some visible slack/weep. Not a ton, but enough so it is free to bounce up and down when you raise the rear wheel off the ground a few inches and drop it. IME an over tight chain doesn't make the exact sound that yours is making, but it definitely makes it noisey.
I have played with the chain tension 50 times probably and nothing changes the sound.
Old 08-25-14, 01:32 PM
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Last idea I have. Swap cogs with a known quality cog of a different brand. Stumped.
Old 08-25-14, 02:57 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm stumped on the wheel movement as well... I was thinking it might be something to do with the axle or maybe it just wasn't seated properly when it was all put together/built. But maybe it's just a faulty hub. I'd contact Velomine and see about getting a replacement sent in. Perhaps you can order a new one and then send the old one back for a refund. If you do it that way, you can maybe compare the new hub with the old one to determine if it's faulty. Although the front one isn't doing it so maybe it is just a faulty hub.

As for SquidPuppet's suggestion, he seems to know his stuff. And he never lies, you can tell by his nose . I'm actually getting ready to swap out my BB/Crank and rear cog on my Masi as mine is making a weird noise as well (I think it's the BB, but I want a new Crank and Rear Cog anyway). Maybe try swapping some stuff one at a time and see where you're able to eliminate the sound.
Old 08-25-14, 06:09 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think I figured out the problem, tell me what you think.

I deflated the rear tire a significant amount, and I can tell that the wire bead is not properly seated in some areas (i.e. when I squeeze the tire I can see a gap between the tire bead and the rim side wall). Do you think this could be causing the wobble?

If so, should I just take it to a LBS to have it seated?

EDIT: Thinking about just getting this Park Tool PTS-1, because if I change tubes or anything i'll probably have the same issue with this tire/rim combination.

Last edited by DScience; 08-25-14 at 06:31 PM.
Old 08-25-14, 07:40 PM
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Liked 28 Times in 19 Posts
Decrease tire pressure and use your hands to push/pull the tire into place. If it's giving you trouble then check that the rim strip is centered on the rim and not obstructing the tire. A poorly seated tire is really obvious with a vertical "hop" as the wheel spins.

Ride yo bike

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.