Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Word's greatest frame builder?

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Word's greatest frame builder?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-13, 06:22 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
The last claim I'd wonder about. I've seen fastback type stay joinery on bikes from the early 1900s. Not sure when W.B. got his start but I think it was later in the century. Not to say he wasn't a gifted builder. Andy.
Perhaps it is specifically the allen head bolt that shoots though the chainstays.... what Ive always refered to as a fastback. I do agree that similar designs were used in the 1890s but always used a big old bolt to bind it all together.

And to elaborate on his beginnings... a quick snip from classiclightweights.co.uk

"Bill Hurlow was born in 1921 and at the age of 14 joined F H Grubb cycles to train as a frame builder."

Between 1935 and 1942, the article goes on to say, he worked for Grubb, Holdsworth (twice), and a short stint w/ Claud Butler.
Old 03-06-13, 03:35 AM
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Liked 134 Times in 99 Posts
Cooper seat stay...

This is where the rubber meets the road... and when it does it is nothing short of perfection in every respect.

Last edited by Sixty Fiver; 03-06-13 at 07:33 AM.
Old 03-06-13, 04:45 AM

Bikes: Many

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
Cooper seat stay...

This is where the rubber meets the road... and when it does it is nothing short of perfection in every respect.

I think the stays shot in wide like Coopers frames is the best method for effective use of material/strength but I don't care for the look as much as where the stays are completely on the outside of the seat cluster.

I like all the doo-dads you can stick on the end of the seat stay tubes!
Old 03-06-13, 11:19 AM
tuz

Bikes: Eight homemade, three very dusty

Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
That sort of stay attachment is also ideal when using Mafac brakes with brazed bosses. The seat stay spacing is just right. But it's hard to mitre! Especially when it's half on the seat tube, half on the lug and you try to wrap it around the top... pheew

Last edited by tuz; 03-06-13 at 02:25 PM.
Old 03-08-13, 05:47 AM

Liked 259 Times in 144 Posts
I'm biased, but Chris Kvale is always right on the money for me.

[IMG] DSCN3770 by gomango1849, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old 03-08-13, 09:33 AM

Bikes: enough bikes to qualify for Hoarders......

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am not qualified to judge, but Bernie Mikkelsen certainly deserves more fame than he has ever gotten.
Old 03-08-13, 09:57 AM

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Liked 4,026 Times in 2,393 Posts
A Milkkelsen jig was the second REAL jig i ever saw. The besy man from my first wedding still has it. Andy.
Old 03-08-13, 11:08 AM
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

On Ron Cooper's signature seat stay ... I believe it was Llewellyn that said this was among one of the most difficult things he has ever attempted as it looks so simple and elegant but requires a master's skill to do right and exact mitering.

This is some of Llewellyn's craftsmanship...

Old 03-08-13, 02:49 PM

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Liked 4,026 Times in 2,393 Posts
I really like the "Llewellyn" seat cluster, although I first learned of this partial off set style from ProteusDesign (any one remember them?) Agreed that it is hard to make look easy. Andy.
Old 03-08-13, 05:37 PM

On Ron Cooper's signature seat stay ... I believe it was Llewellyn that said this was among one of the most difficult things he has ever attempted as it looks so simple and elegant but requires a master's skill to do right and exact mitering.

uh,

speechless.
Old 03-08-13, 06:59 PM
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Originally Posted by ftwelder
uh,

speechless.
Frank... has your name been added to this list yet ?
Old 04-06-13, 12:34 AM
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Liked 1,035 Times in 690 Posts
richard sachs makes also some fery fine frames
Old 04-06-13, 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by georges1
richard sachs makes also some fery fine frames
He does. May be Richard will show us his bike. His name comes up a lot.
Old 04-06-13, 10:56 AM
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Liked 1,035 Times in 690 Posts
He does. May be Richard will show us his bike. His name comes up a lot.
found this, it may interest you https://www.cycleexif.com/richard-sachs-cx https://www.cyclingnews.com/features/...lo-cross/99094
Old 04-06-13, 09:03 PM

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Liked 340 Times in 230 Posts
I can only speak about the ones I am familiar with, but Bruce Gordon here in the US has had my attention for quite some time now... Bruce, what do you think?
Old 04-08-13, 04:14 AM

Bikes: 2007 Nagasawa with C-Record, 1992 Duell with Croce D'aune/Chorus, three Gazelles, M5 recumbent

Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
I like Nagasawa frames, very understated but nice made. Richard Sachs bought one a few years ago.
Old 04-08-13, 04:55 PM

I love Bruce Gordon. I have to admit I haven't seen enough of his work, I know him mostly from seeing him at trade shows. He gave me a set of Rock and Road tires in the early 90's, they were awesome . I should have rolled out and spliced some RM 20's and invented the first 29'r and I think Richard Storino (campy VP) even suggested it but I missed it.

Thanks for the link Georges1. That is a beautiful bike. I have an interest in vintage bikes and don't have a CX bike in my collection. I think I have now have an objective, a 57cm Sachs with 126 spacing. I already have the wheels.
Old 04-08-13, 10:01 PM

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts

The framebuilding is superb, but I am blown away by the paint. It looks like it is still liquid! I have never seen anything like it. Magnificent.!
Old 04-08-13, 10:21 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The paint will be by Joe Cosgrove at cycle design Australia. He exhibited at the recent ACBS, his work is even better "in the flesh".
Old 04-08-13, 10:45 PM
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

uh,

speechless.
It makes one feel like a hack... and inspires me to greater things.

It is much like listening to Ry Cooder play the guitar... either I put it down and walk away or practice playing even more.

Old 04-11-13, 03:29 AM

It makes one feel like a hack... and inspires me to greater things.

It is much like listening to Ry Cooder play the guitar... either I put it down and walk away or practice playing even more.

I had this same conversation with my son and the others at the shop yesterday at lunch. I really don't like result of much of what I do. I enjoy the "toil" and the evolution from excitement to exhaustion that follows me through the day and I love my bikes but I am not really ever satisfied with my workmanship.
Old 04-11-13, 10:55 AM

Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
I had this same conversation with my son and the others at the shop yesterday at lunch. I really don't like result of much of what I do. I enjoy the "toil" and the evolution from excitement to exhaustion that follows me through the day and I love my bikes but I am not really ever satisfied with my workmanship.
That's because you know where the bodies are buried so to speak. I can always find a flaw in everything I make even if I need to break out a magnifier (usually NOT required).
Been teaching myself to braze aluminum lately and I've never been so humbled in front of a workbench in my entire life!!
Old 04-11-13, 01:57 PM
Cisalpinist

Bikes: blue ones.

Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Frank, incredible how much this sounds like the conversation i just had with my dad over dinner - though I'm obviously the son in this case he works day and night to perfect his craft and vision (music, though, nothing material) but always walks away from the stage with the feeling he isn't there yet.
Old 04-11-13, 03:41 PM

I could tell by the expressions on listeners faces that it wasn't what anyone expected to hear.

Originally Posted by Cassave
That's because you know where the bodies are buried so to speak. I can always find a flaw in everything I make even if I need to break out a magnifier (usually NOT required).
Been teaching myself to braze aluminum lately and I've never been so humbled in front of a workbench in my entire life!!
I want to try that. I have gas welded aluminum and also DC welded it (very difficult). Aluminum can also be "dip brazed" which is a very interesting process.

Last edited by ftwelder; 04-11-13 at 03:45 PM.
Old 04-13-13, 07:26 PM
Framebuilder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SANTE POLLASTRI
Pino Morroni is my favourite.
Mine too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.