Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

How do you feel about moustache bars? (Also, post your moustache bar conversion.)

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

How do you feel about moustache bars? (Also, post your moustache bar conversion.)

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-12, 02:27 PM
vjp

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Back in the day when Bridgestone did their great illustrated catalogs and Ibis was building the scorcher, I lusted after the moustache bar. A few years ago I bought some and I was really disappointed when they hurt my wrists. I love the look, and may give them a second chance.
Old 06-14-12, 02:33 PM

Bikes: 1966 Paramount | 1971 Raleigh International | ca. 1970 Bernard Carre | 1989 Waterford Paramount | 2012 Boulder Brevet | 2019 Specialized Diverge

Liked 78 Times in 41 Posts
I kind of like the look, but have to admit that I find them pretty uncomfortable for riding.
Old 06-14-12, 03:22 PM

Liked 30 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I don't like them yet. They're on my Surly Cross Check, and I don't get as many positions as I expected. Perhaps it's the wrong type of bike. Or perhaps I'd like them better if they were higher or closer. I can't tell. I'm very bent over on them, which is unsuitable for in-town rides. And the bike is too heavy for a long ride. Help!

Your stem is too short. Does that frame fit you? It looks tiny.

https://www.stanford.edu/~dru/moustache.html
Old 06-14-12, 03:30 PM
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Liked 355 Times in 178 Posts
Originally Posted by AZORCH
I kind of like the look, but have to admit that I find them pretty uncomfortable for riding.
+1

Aesthetically they look terrific...I prefer drops.
Old 06-14-12, 03:59 PM
Wookie Jesus inspires me.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Grand Bois
Your stem is too short. Does that frame fit you? It looks tiny.

https://www.stanford.edu/~dru/moustache.html
That link says that you use a short stem with a high rise. I don't think going with a longer stem would help his problems.

Noglider - if those don't work for you, I'm not sure moustache bars will work for you. Try porteurs?
Old 06-14-12, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Puget Pounder
That link says that you use a short stem with a high rise. I don't think going with a longer stem would help his problems.

Noglider - if those don't work for you, I'm not sure moustache bars will work for you. Try porteurs?
You use a taller stem with a shorter reach. The opposite of short is tall.
Old 06-14-12, 04:12 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You use a taller stem with a shorter reach. The opposite of short is tall.
Do you see that he is using a threadless stem?

No one uses "tall" to describe a threadless stem. You use stems with higher "rise" as stated verbatim in the link that you put up.

Did you forget that the opposite of short is also long?

Nice try.
Old 06-14-12, 04:27 PM

I bow to your greater expertise.
Old 06-14-12, 04:30 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I bow to your greater expertise.
Thanks, it's an honor.
Old 06-14-12, 07:50 PM

Bikes: koga miyata road gentleman, raleigh crested butte, raleigh comp 650b

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
chill out dudes!

i like em if theyre on the right bike and high and close enough
Old 06-14-12, 07:54 PM
)) <> ((

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
i like them a lot.

on other people's bikes.
Old 06-14-12, 07:58 PM
- Bikes Not Bombs -

Bikes: 1986 LOOK KG86, 19XX Les Ephgrave?, 1983 Nishiki Royal, 199X Nukeproof MTB, 1974 Raleigh Grand Prix

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by not_me
...too many drop bar bikes
?!

Blasphemy!
Old 06-14-12, 08:18 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Moustache bars look great on that Raleigh, Jim Hughes!
Old 06-14-12, 09:26 PM

Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Randy, your bikes look great (as always). I think I'm going to try you setup on my grocery getter.

Are there different diameters of moustache bars or do bar-ends fit in any of them?
Old 06-14-12, 09:31 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yes, there are definitely different diameters, and bars ends don't fit in them all.
Old 08-27-12, 03:28 PM

Bikes: 72 Lygie (SS conv), 87 Ironman Expert, 94 Allez Sport, 16 Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross

Liked 14 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
I found a set that I'm in the process of building up. The ones I got from Soma are mtb diameter so I'm using 8 speed LX integrated shift/brake levers on the flats and the plan is to put interrupter levers where most people put their road brake levers. The idea being it can be used for cruising around town, but can also be used to be a bit more aero if one wants to while descending for example and still use the brakes. Either it'll be cool or really dumb, ugly, and ineffective, and I'm not 100% sure which. First I've got to finish painting the bike.
I'm curious to know how this works out with the LX shifters. I've been running LX 8 speed on a flat bar conversion, but I find the flat bar very uncomfortable on lengthy rides. Also, the OP's question about stem length was never answered sufficiently IMO. If I typically run and 80 or 90mm stem, how much shorter would I want to go with a moustache?

Ant
Old 08-27-12, 03:54 PM
Get off my lawn!

Bikes: 1917 Loomis, 1923 Rudge, 1930 Hercules Renown, 1947 Mclean, 1948 JA Holland, 1955 Hetchins, 1957 Carlton Flyer, 1962 Raleigh Sport, 1978&81 Raleigh Gomp GS', 2010 Raliegh Clubman

Liked 100 Times in 50 Posts

Posted by jim hughes
/\ With Gears or \/ Fixed Gears

Old 08-27-12, 04:18 PM
Hopelessly addicted...

Bikes: 1949 Hercules Kestrel, 1950 Norman Rapide, 1970 Schwinn Collegiate, 1972 Peugeot UE-8, 1976 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Jack Taylor Tandem, 1984 Davidson Tandem, 2010 Bilenky "BQ" 650B Constructeur Tandem, 2011 Linus Mixte

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

I will be putting a moustache bar on my wife's Claude Butler. I think they look great, but have not ridden one yet. The bar Raleigh used on the Lenton Tourist is similar in some ways.

Lenton Tourist - 18 by Sallad Rialb, on Flickr
Old 08-27-12, 08:56 PM
Get off my lawn!

Bikes: 1917 Loomis, 1923 Rudge, 1930 Hercules Renown, 1947 Mclean, 1948 JA Holland, 1955 Hetchins, 1957 Carlton Flyer, 1962 Raleigh Sport, 1978&81 Raleigh Gomp GS', 2010 Raliegh Clubman

Liked 100 Times in 50 Posts
Like anything else ya gotta get them dailed in. If the reach to too far or two low, you end up with a lot of pressure on the hands and wrists, too close and you get all hump backed.

My experience with them is limited but what I discovered when I switched from a drop bar was increased control when climbing out of the saddle and a different position over the frame which made the bike more stable (tracked straighter) when really hammering away. On the down side, because the hand positon is much wider, my twitchy Competition GS is even more twitchy. This is fixed by gripping the bars more towards the center when signaling for a turn, grabbing the water bottle, etc.

I eneded up mounting my brake levers a little more toward the ends then most set up I see, I tend to ride more at the bar ends in traffic and only stretch out onto the curves on open roads. In all, it's nice to have something a little different.
Old 08-27-12, 09:19 PM

Bikes: 1937 Hobbs; 1977 Bruce Gordon; 1987 Bill Holland; 1988 Schwinn Paramount (Fixed gear); 1999 Fat City Yo Eddy (MTB); 2018 Woodrup (Touring) 2016 Ritchey breakaway

Liked 4,146 Times in 710 Posts
I find them very comfortable. This set up has seen many long rides:
Old 08-31-12, 09:21 PM
Building a better Strida

Bikes: bianchi brava 1988. fuji track 2007, 2006 Bianchi Pista, 1987 Miele and a strida knock off

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
So I picked up an '87 Miyata 312 not really knowing whether it'd be a flipper or a keeper. I know it's not high end, but I have a soft spot for Miyatas. I've got a few other vintage road bikes, so I was planning on turning this one into a more casual comfortable, yet sporty bike.
If you've got one, post it!!

bingo.

This is exactly what i embarked on when I was figuring out how to fit this middle-of-the-road Miele into my stable. Its clean and seen few kms so I figured it was worth keeping, but the next goal was to make it worth RIDING...

I'm a bit surprised with the number of riders that couldn't make it work for them.. I was also under this mystery, but on my road frame, lemme summarize what got it working for me:

1. its more than just the front end.
I found that the bars, even with a shorter stem didn't just fit with my saddle positioned as I would normally have it on my other road bikes - they all have notable saddle-to-bar drop. Moustache bars work better if they are the same height as the saddle and that requires 2 things outside of raising the stem..
2. lowering the saddle, which also makes you have to increase set-back to fit properly. This combo puts more weight on your rear - thus reducing the weight off the wrists.
3. angling the bars properly.
brake hoods should be level or just raised slightly, this allows for another hand position on the hoods for a very controllable 'sit and beg' posture on the bike. Combined with the increased stability of more weight on the saddle still allows for some aero if you tuck in the elbows and you are 80% into that preying-mantis posture that gets the legs going. The ends of the bars should be angled the same as drops on your roadie - since its latitude is raised, the ends point at the rear brake caliper mount
4. fit the bike according to where your hands are in the hooks.
with your hands straight ahead, fit the bike according to your hands on the hooks with your fingers on the brake levers. Consider this the primary hand position - similar to as if you were riding a flat bar.
Highly optional
5. get a wider saddle
more of your weight will be centered here, than on a typical road-fit.
6. position the brake hoods inside the bars around ~ 12cm of each other. Moving them outside of this throws away a very usable hand-position

The other hand positions are:
outside for climbs and handling loose stuff,
outer hooks - for control leaning into twisties,
flat into the hooks for downhills - knuckles straight ahead - easy reach brake levers,
thumbs hooked into the hoods - speed - pinkies on the brakes,
hands close to stem - cruising.

This must be why there is so much pain on the palms and wrists here, since flat bars can't really be dropped far below the saddle - but the secret of the moustache bar is wrenching the past the front of the bike to make this bar fit.

These bars transformed this bike and I've put 250+ kms on it in the last month of dirt/crushed gravel/boardwalks/farmers markets/picking up take-out food/day-care drop-offs/pick-ups, etc. up to 60km per ride. The bars really work for doing it all.

I rode this bike so much recently that between traffic lights and parking lots, the toe-clip-fender-overlap finally got to me and I had to modify the front fender, but thats for another post......!

Last edited by trueno92; 08-31-12 at 09:52 PM. Reason: pics
Old 09-01-12, 12:23 AM

Liked 26 Times in 11 Posts
jim, I think you win this thread.
+1
Old 09-01-12, 12:52 AM
RFC

Bikes: many

Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
I'm with Sean. They are kinda pretty, but I can't accept them from a cultural standpoint. Give me drops.
Old 09-01-12, 08:12 AM

Nashbar had these on sale for $9 so I bought a couple. They turned out to work very well for me. I find them very comfortable. They have more drop than Nittos. They're Chromoly with a nice looking finish that has a blue cast to it. A tall stem with minimal extension works best for me.

I put the other moustache bar on this. It's very uncomfortable for me. I'm too stretched out. My arms aren't long enough. I built it to sell it, so I was more concerned with cool looks than comfort. I never did get around to selling it, so it hangs in the garage after being ridden once.

Old 09-01-12, 08:27 AM

Liked 3,115 Times in 1,922 Posts
Originally Posted by trueno92
bingo.

This must be why there is so much pain on the palms and wrists here, since flat bars can't really be dropped far below the saddle - but the secret of the moustache bar is wrenching the past the front of the bike to make this bar fit.

These bars transformed this bike and I've put 250+ kms on it in the last month of dirt/crushed gravel/boardwalks/farmers markets/picking up take-out food/day-care drop-offs/pick-ups, etc. up to 60km per ride. The bars really work for doing it all.

I rode this bike so much recently that between traffic lights and parking lots, the toe-clip-fender-overlap finally got to me and I had to modify the front fender, but thats for another post......!
What is that bar bag? I like the idea of the pockets that face you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.