Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

i wonder if we have it backwards?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

i wonder if we have it backwards?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-12, 09:15 AM
自転車整備士

Bikes: '86 Moots Mountaineer, '94 Salsa Ala Carte, '94 S-Works FSR, 1983 Trek 600 & 620

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Pamestique
I have to say I am glad I started with a rigid frame (I started MTB riding in the 80's) and then a hardtail and now full suspension (cause I am old and everything hurts). The rigid and hardtail taught me some real skills I don't think people on long travel bikes ever develop (just my personal opinion). It was my experiecne once I finally went to a fully, that alot of my fear of steep gnarly descents went away. Trails I always walked down before, I now easily ride down but that would not be possible without the suspension.

It always amazes me to see the hard core riders (usually older guys who have been riding for years) all now going back to rigids and riding down the steep scary stuff with ease. That takes real skill! One a beginner doesn't really appreciate.
Same here... I started out in the early 80's riding fully rigid; you do learn skills like picking the right line and reading the trail, if nothing more than to save yourself from all of the rough stuff. Moving into an FS ride will allow you to ride those sections faster, but you still need a sense of which track on the trail is the most 'efficient' one to take.

I currently ride FS; compared to the current crop though, it's definitely 'old school' technology. Only 2" travel front and rear... just to soak up the big bumps but still sprite enough to kick up the pace on winding single track.

I'm 'vertically challenged' at 5' 4" with a 28" inseam... there weren't many small frame rides back in '94 so I settled for a 16.5". It fit me better up top, and I've always ridden bikes with minimal to no straddle clearance so that wasn't an issue.

Alan

Last edited by oldskoolwrench; 04-18-12 at 09:19 AM.
Old 04-18-12, 09:59 AM
Moar cowbell

Bikes: Bike list is not a resume. Nobody cares.

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by oldskoolwrench
. . . but you still need a sense of which track on the trail is the most 'efficient' one to take.
That's true; but that's not something having ridden a rigid will tell you, since FS changes the rules of what is 'efficient' so completely.

Last edited by dminor; 04-18-12 at 10:03 AM.