Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Forty plus years old, thirty in storage.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Forty plus years old, thirty in storage.

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-11, 08:41 PM

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
I was going to say welcome to the Internal Geared Hub Sprite Club... but i guess you should be welcoming us others!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCF3400.jpg (101.0 KB, 37 views)

Last edited by ecsjr; 06-27-11 at 08:44 PM.
Old 06-28-11, 02:43 AM
Oldie but Newbie

Bikes: 1969 Raleigh Sprite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, all, for your encouraging comments!

My dad many times wanted to take me to the wood shed. Wonder how'd look today if he'd left me there.

A few responses to your thoughts...

We'll be saving all the original parts. At this point that means the chains from both -- rusted to the point of tight links (Would an oil soak loosen them?) -- and on mine the pedals because one side does not match the other - a cheapo K-Mart replacement from back when. Originals are not available but Harris Cycles has a good-quality replacement that at least appear period correct.

Three in One is vegetable based and a problem? That is specifically what I was told to use by the bike shop tech and, indeed, always did use. I'll need to check this out!

I had expected to need tube/tire replacements on both bikes. My wife's will -- it had gum-walled tires that dried and split. Mine looked fine but I assumed they'd need to go anyhow. The tech said "no." The do look perfect - no cracking at all. The tech told me he had a Robin hood of similar vintage that still is on the original tires/tubes - in his bike's case well worn. He rides it hard and often. So???? Well I'll know soon enough won't I? (Hopefully not too many miles from home)

Among the things that surprised me is the generator light set-up. Still works perfectly!

Oh, and one question for you knowledgeable folks: Has anyone ever seen a Sprite with the shift levers on mine? I always assumed that the lady's model has the plastic ones so m'lady will not hurt herself stepping theu the frame, but the catalog for 1969 (the years these were made) shows the men''s too with the smaller plastic levers. These came on mine and they are Raleigh parts, just seemingly odd ones.

Oh, and we didn't buy the pair to be "cute" - perish the thought! My wife and I, both rock musicians working together at the time, would never had gone "cute" (especially my wife!). No, its just that these were what the small shop had and they satisfied both of our needs.

(I won't let the lady read that "cute" comment or one or other bike will get the sledge hammer.)

-Thanks again!

-don
Old 06-28-11, 04:29 AM
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Liked 2,341 Times in 1,036 Posts
Don,

Welcome to C&V. As ftwelder mentioned, you are not far from him and he is a great resource. I'm up in in the Kearsarge-Lake Sunapee area (as is Supton). I have the tools to service cottored cranks (which Supton is borrowing), but I'm not well versed with IGHs.

If your son continues to give you grief about your old school-own shed find, let him know there are a bunch of us fools out here. If you find you need more gearing for the hills and climbs NH constantly throws at us, we are your friends (as is CL). There are many C&V touring or triple road bikes which can satisfy us mountain folk on a budget.

Keep the pictures coming!

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 06-28-11, 05:09 AM
Oldie but Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In regards to the hub, yes, that is the one. Been totally reliable so far. What is a "friction shifter"?

My `50s era Rudge had the oil cap on the bottom bracket. I'd forgotten that but I can see it in my mind.

The tech(s) at the shop felt that a repacking was needed. I am trusting their judgment. There are always several approaches but I know they are not doing it for the $$$ because I wanted new tubes and tires and they said they would replace them if I wanted but they thought it was a waste of money.

So... ?
Old 06-28-11, 05:11 AM
Oldie but Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ecsjr
I was going to say welcome to the Internal Geared Hub Sprite Club... but i guess you should be welcoming us others!

Wow! We iz twins!

-don
Old 06-28-11, 11:53 AM
Oldie but Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by old_dreams
Would love to see pics of the 2 bikes side by side post tuneup.

Enjoy!
It'll be another week or two before we have them back in a fully ride-worthy state. Since my wife's will definitely need new rubber we want to get the rims cleaned of rust before we send her's in. But here is a pic of the two of them side by side just after I took them out of hiding and 'hosed' them off...
And as to your encouragement to "enjoy" here I am, with a coat-hanger smile totally fixed to my face (and this despite the seat being way too low and it literally being my first time on a bicycle in 30+ years.)
Hey stop laughing! I heard that!

-don
Old 06-28-11, 12:35 PM

Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Go for it Don!

It was only about a year ago I got back on a bike after about a 20 year gap. I think I had a similarly wide grin first trip out.

I wouldn't worry about the "cute" thing. Maybe so if they were brand new his & hers but not in this case I feel. I remember doing a charity 100 miler when I was young and there was an older couple on high nellies breezing along. It was the coolest thing to see amongst all the fancy 10 speeds.
Old 06-28-11, 01:01 PM

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Yes Don, both of mine have the shifters like the ones on your top tube. They have the little SA on them for Sturmey-Archer.

On the step-through model, mine were on the top tube, but I moved them to the lower tube which seemed safer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Sprite3shifters.JPG (54.5 KB, 25 views)
Old 06-28-11, 04:22 PM

Bikes: 1961 Raleigh Sports

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A friction shifter is a shifter that doesn't have 'clicks' or detents, these were usually mounted on 70s 10 speed bikes. The left side of the hub has two positions to choose from: tight and loose (compared to three positions on the right) so in principle the left side doesn't require the clicks that the right cable shifter needs in order to function properly.

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...1#post12060248
This bike has a mechanically identical hub to yours and uses a friction shifter mounted at the end of the handlebar to shift the left side of the hub, and a trigger shifter to shift the right side of the hub.

The wheel rims can be cleaned up using wadded up aluminium foil as "aluminium wool". Brass wool works great for this as well.

As far a the chains go, it has been suggested that boiling them in vinegar will significantly loosen if not get rid of the rust on them. Some have suggested getting a crockpot and leave the chains cooking in vinegar overnight. Afterwards wash the acid off with hot water, and dry them out before lubricating them with what lube strikes your fancy.
Old 06-28-11, 04:36 PM
Chainstay Brake Mafia

Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
for a rusty chain i say use naval jelly or another phosphoric acid based "rust converter".. it turns rust black which is what color most chains are anyways

if the chain is severely rusty it could fail
Old 06-28-11, 05:16 PM
Oldie but Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by frantik
if the chain is severely rusty it could fail
That is why I chose to have them replaced. Small price for security. And (to me at least) an "unoriginal" chain is no biggie. But I will save them should I ever find out otherwise.

-don
Old 07-02-11, 06:51 PM
Oldie but Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well I got her back today (and took her for her first real ride in 30+ years). Sweet!

Interesting the work was done by the owner of the shop, he being one of the few -- most of the staff being younger than the bike -- with 1st hand experience on such a bike. And his judgement paralleled several postings here. Thus the chain was not seen to need replacement nor was BB seen as needing to be repacked. Aside from oiling and adjusting basically all that was needed were replacement brake pads, hand grips, and pedals (as the ones on the bike did not match left and right). Total cost for this first service in 42 years was $76.

The badly neglected, dry and splitting saddle also was replaced with another Brooks. This, amazingly, was contributed by one of the bike's admirers I met at the shop.

Here are a couple of pix as she looks today. There is still more work that she needs, especially on the bright work.

-don

Last edited by duceditor; 07-02-11 at 06:59 PM.
Old 07-02-11, 07:18 PM
I got 99 projects

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Wow, great story. Love the Brooks. We should really put together a British 3-speed ride using the Northern Rail Trail this fall during foliage season. I think there are enough Raleighs in the region to have a good showing.
Old 07-03-11, 04:15 AM
Oldie but Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDaddy
Wow, great story. Love the Brooks. We should really put together a British 3-speed ride using the Northern Rail Trail this fall during foliage season. I think there are enough Raleighs in the region to have a good showing.
I love that idea! Either the Northern, or the one that runs between Nashua NH and Ayre MA, depending which is better for more riders!

Is there a musical story behind your screen name BluesDaddy? Will we be packin' our guitars and harps for that ride?

-don
Old 07-03-11, 04:47 AM
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Liked 2,341 Times in 1,036 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDaddy
Originally Posted by duceditor
I love that idea! Either the Northern, or the one that runs between Nashua NH and Ayre MA, depending which is better for more riders!

-don
Can my 1939-40 Schwinn New World come?

DE, the Sprite is looking great. Try Meguiars Cleaner and Polish Products on the finish to bring back the showroom quality of the paint.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 07-03-11, 11:22 AM

Bikes: '77 Centurion "Pro Tour"; '67 Carlton "The Flyer"; 1984 Ross MTB (stored at parents' house)

Liked 94 Times in 62 Posts
Maybe it's busy season there, but I can't imagine riding the bike without first repacking the 40 year old bearings. This is something I do to my bikes every year or more often with light usage.
Old 07-03-11, 02:51 PM
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Liked 3,654 Times in 2,201 Posts
Thanks, all, for your encouraging comments!

Oh, and one question for you knowledgeable folks: Has anyone ever seen a Sprite with the shift levers on mine? I always assumed that the lady's model has the plastic ones so m'lady will not hurt herself stepping theu the frame, but the catalog for 1969 (the years these were made) shows the men''s too with the smaller plastic levers. These came on mine and they are Raleigh parts, just seemingly odd ones.

-Thanks again!

-don
My 68 has the flimsy plastic ones and I worry about breaking them every time I ride it. I have seen the metal ones though.
Old 07-09-11, 12:51 PM
Oldie but Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bringing Her Back - One Part at a Time

Well my Raleigh is back doing what she was designed to do. And, as mentioned in previous posts, with very little required. But making her look as she deserves to look after 30+ years of neglect (and that is with the doubtful assumption that she was not neglected for the first 10 or so years when I actually rode her. Frankly I can't remember!) is a bit more work.

Her chrome and paint, as good as they look from a distance, is in pretty poor shape. Particularly the chrome, so that is where I am focusing my attention.

If I wanted her mainly as a collector's piece I'd take her apart. But that is definitely not the case. I want to ride her! So all the work is being done in situ. And more, it is being done with everyday materials - steel wool, commercial chrome cleaner, rags and Q-Tips. But I should add, gently.

Here are a few pics that shows the work in progress...

Where the chrome is actually pitted little can be done. But at least the stain is being removed. The bars and headlamp are the worst and I was actually tempted to replace them. But no -- she is in no worse shape than I am (although though have over 20 more years additional wear on me) and my Dear One has not asked for any replacement parts on me. So I think I'll act in kind and just let us both show our age gracefully.

-don

Last edited by duceditor; 07-09-11 at 01:33 PM.
Old 07-09-11, 12:54 PM
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Dam, that bike is easy on the eyes!!

You lucky!

Enjoy it to the max...
Old 07-16-11, 06:22 AM
Oldie but Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just a quick update on my adventure with these two old Raleighs...

My own, back now from the shop for two weeks, has turned from a project bike to a (lately), daily rider. I continue to bit by bit clean her up but am now reaching the point where the wear marks, chrome pitting, and little spoches of rust have to be accepted as simply what they are: Indicators that this is a well used, 42 year old, bicycle that was never intended to be a show piece.

The one issue that remained after her time in the shop -- the sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't super high and super low gears -- has been rectified. In the end I discovered that the issue was there being too much play in the linkage, play that allowed the finger to on occasion slip past the actuating rod. I worked the metal to remove the play and now the system works as intended.

What I have found to my pleasure is that for the type of riding I do -- even in my quite hilly terrain -- five speeds is plenty. I.e., super low is low enough and super high is high enough. What would be found lacking by a truly serious sport bicyclist is (I think) less a matter of range (although I am sure greater extremes are available on 24 speed bikes) than the close finite changes that would allow for the continuation of an exact cadence under all circumstances. That is no more a matter of concern to me a present than is my exact heart-rate. I'm ridin' for fun and relaxation, nothing more.

Bike number 2 -- my wife's -- is coming home from the shop today. In her case the work included new tubes and tires as her bike came with gum sidewalled tires which faired badly over the years. (Mine, as mentioned earlier, could pretty much pass for "new." There is not even spider-webbing, much less cracking, of the sidewalls.)

Now come the fun part with hers. The enjoyable hours with polish and chrome cleaner bringing her bit by bit back from the rolling dead.

-Don
Old 07-16-11, 02:26 PM
No one cares

Liked 261 Times in 96 Posts
Just a quick update on my adventure with these two old Raleighs...

My own, back now from the shop for two weeks, has turned from a project bike to a (lately), daily rider. I continue to bit by bit clean her up but am now reaching the point where the wear marks, chrome pitting, and little spoches of rust have to be accepted as simply what they are: Indicators that this is a well used, 42 year old, bicycle that was never intended to be a show piece.

The one issue that remained after her time in the shop -- the sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't super high and super low gears -- has been rectified. In the end I discovered that the issue was there being too much play in the linkage, play that allowed the finger to on occasion slip past the actuating rod. I worked the metal to remove the play and now the system works as intended.

What I have found to my pleasure is that for the type of riding I do -- even in my quite hilly terrain -- five speeds is plenty. I.e., super low is low enough and super high is high enough. What would be found lacking by a truly serious sport bicyclist is (I think) less a matter of range (although I am sure greater extremes are available on 24 speed bikes) than the close finite changes that would allow for the continuation of an exact cadence under all circumstances. That is no more a matter of concern to me a present than is my exact heart-rate. I'm ridin' for fun and relaxation, nothing more.

Bike number 2 -- my wife's -- is coming home from the shop today. In her case the work included new tubes and tires as her bike came with gum sidewalled tires which faired badly over the years. (Mine, as mentioned earlier, could pretty much pass for "new." There is not even spider-webbing, much less cracking, of the sidewalls.)

Now come the fun part with hers. The enjoyable hours with polish and chrome cleaner bringing her bit by bit back from the rolling dead.

-Don
cool! i have a feeling you'll become a regular here for some reason.

Old 07-16-11, 02:37 PM

Bikes: -1973 Motobecane Mirage -197? Velosolex L'Etoile -'71 Raleigh Super Course

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Amesja
seriously? Then what is it that is gunking up all these old hubs? Because they are so bad that mineral spirits and other solvents can't even touch it. The stuff has turned to hard sticky wax and the only way to get it off the parts I have found is to boil them in vinegar.
There are two types of grease: petroleum-based, which will dissolve in a petroleum solvent (essentially, any oil lighter than the grease); and soap-based, which will dissolve in acidified water. I don't think there are any vegetable-based greases out there, but I could be mistaken.

Mark Stonich (Bikesmith) says that the soap-based stuff should be used to lubricate the outer set of bearings, as it will help keep the oil inside from weeping its way out.
Old 07-17-11, 12:18 AM

Bikes: 1972ish Ralegh Superbe step through in green, 1983 Nishiki International diamond frame in black with gold pinstriping

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by frantik
wow, looks great, awesome that you have the original paperwork too

even if they look ok, these things will probably fail pretty quickly if they are that old.. new tires and tubes are cheap so consider buying them
1+ In a university town where the students just keep selling each other the same old bike with out good maintenance, my x-ray department gets a lot of injuries from sudden tire blow out.
Old 08-13-11, 07:57 AM
Oldie but Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just thought I'd give a quick update about my continuing experience with my recently revived `69 Raleigh...

And quick it'll be because the only real news is that she is serving me spectacularly. Just as if she were a newly minted bicycle.

I ride her regularly. Daily when I'm around to do so. Most rides are 8 to 10 miles long, and a mix of black-topped "rail-trail" and crushed stone/dirt paths that wend through the Monadnock area woods.

Today I went deeper into the wooded area than ever before -- a path, quite frankly, more suitable (it would seem) for a mountain bike than an old brit street machine. But she takes it like a trooper, old tubes and tires working like new.

My butt has adjusted to the narrower than stock Brooks "Professional" saddle. Or maybe the Brooks is adjusting to me? In any case 12 miles is now painless and even the short steeply graded areas are taken with relative ease with the bike in 'Super Low.'

I've come to love this bike so much that I purchased a URL and am now developing the website 3SpeedsForever.com. It'll be devoted to the enjoyment of classic internal hub machines like my Sprite and her brethren. Anyone here want to contribute either technical expertise or just pure enthusiasm let me know.

Nothing has yet been posted on 3SpeedsForever, but here is an example of an earlier site of mine to show the general direction I expect to be taking it. www.duc.bz

Cheers!

-Don
Old 08-13-11, 08:36 AM
i'll probably break it

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
That'd make a sweet brakeless fixie with day-glo grips!
don't worry all the fixie kids have already done the vintage bike thing and last summer they rode 29ers too. youth bile culture is actually pretty smart now. for every pair of pink grips there's ten kids buying something that makes their bike FUNCTIONALLY better.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.