Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Population density, livable cities and getting out of your car...

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Population density, livable cities and getting out of your car...

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-11, 11:20 PM

Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by bragi
I'm not that sympathetic, but I understand this point of view: when I went car free, I went cold turkey, giving up up the car all at once. The first day of not having my car, I felt very uncomfortable, vulnerable and helpless: how was I supposed to get anywhere? It only took me a day or two to realize how silly those fears were, but initially I felt stranded. I think that for most people who've lived their whole lives in cars, the very idea of not being able to use one at will is almost terrifying.
I wasn't terrified but more relived when the car was carried to the crusher. I was also depressed because it was my fathers car but it was no longer affordable with no income.

I had to look for answers to alternatives for auto mobility and this included walking and transit. A pair of good walking shoes gives you plenty of automatic mobility unfortunately, most of the population thinks it requires a combustion engine.
Old 01-12-11, 01:54 PM
Sophomoric Member

Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Well, gosh, I'd tear the whole thing down and start over, but in the meantime you could do a lot, since there is usually more land in the 'burbs:

1.install raised bike lanes or parallel bike paths for not a lot of money.
2. In addition, you could connect the clusters of cul de sac tract housing with bike paths, so cyclists wouldn't have to deal with the 8-lane arterials as much to begin with. (I think this is already being done in some places.)
3. For transit riders, dedicate one of those eight lanes for buses only, and equip those buses with transmitters that turn the traffic lights green as they approach, like they have in Switzerland.

You could also tax the sh*t out of gasoline purchased for personal use, while making cheaper fuel available for commercial uses, but that idea won't go very far at all in a country where a large segment of the population equates universal health care with Armageddon. Or maybe just charge tolls to drive into congested areas like they have in Milan and SF.
Good plans. I would add to change zoning/usage laws to allow mixed development, permit fewer parking spaces around buildings, and tax parking lots at a higher rate. Another possibility is to put in "permanent" transit (such as light rail) right along the busiest arterials, to assure developers that the corridor will still be travelled even when gas prices double or quadruple in the next few years.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 01-12-11, 07:18 PM
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Pobble.808
Hard to generalize but on the whole I'd say that it's hard to speed in urban areas like Tokyo -- narrow roads, lots of turns, frequent traffic lights, limited sight lines. Malls, even small strip malls, are still a rarity or simply nonexistent in many neighborhoods. So each business has its own driveway if it has any parking at all, which can also slow things down. Zoning seems to be a pretty remote concept here.
You know, all of this seems a little curious. Tokyo has a population of 33 million people at a density of 4,750 per sq. km. We've been talking about the severe crowding of a city like New York, population 17,800,000 with a density of 2050. New York is even less densely populated than Toronto, at 2650, which is also reputed to be a very bike-able city. And, as you say, Tokyo is not a bad place to travel by bike.

Something tells me that what makes a city pleasant to bike in -- and maybe liveable in other ways -- is a factor of local custom and respect, as much as infrastructure.... and it may have little to do with how dense the population is.

PS. I'm getting my population density figures from https://www.citymayors.com/statistics...nsity-125.html
Old 01-13-11, 01:38 AM
bragi

Bikes: LHT

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gerv
You know, all of this seems a little curious. Tokyo has a population of 33 million people at a density of 4,750 per sq. km. We've been talking about the severe crowding of a city like New York, population 17,800,000 with a density of 2050. New York is even less densely populated than Toronto, at 2650, which is also reputed to be a very bike-able city. And, as you say, Tokyo is not a bad place to travel by bike.

Something tells me that what makes a city pleasant to bike in -- and maybe liveable in other ways -- is a factor of local custom and respect, as much as infrastructure.... and it may have little to do with how dense the population is.

PS. I'm getting my population density figures from https://www.citymayors.com/statistics...nsity-125.html
I totally agree with you that local culture probably has more to do with it than any other factor, but population density might have a pretty significant impact on local attitudes in the long run. In my own city, Seattle, increased population density has created a lot of angry drivers, but it has also created a lot of bicyclists. Currently, density in Seattle is around 2774 people/ km2, which is apparently even more than Toronto or NYC, and so we may have actually reached the point where non-car options are more attractive for many people who live in the city itself. (If only drivers would notice..) In my own case, I'd much rather get myself around by bike than by car, and I recently rather easily proved to my girlfriend that going downtown by bus is actually cheaper, faster and easier than driving.
Old 01-13-11, 02:32 AM
alleged person

Bikes: 1970s Royal Scot 3-Speed, 2005 Breezer Villager 7-Speed IGH

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

FWIW, those numbers are kind of misleading: 17.8 million must be the population for all of NY State, or for some tri-state NY metropolitan area, much of it more suburban than urban, as NYC's population is less than 9 million. Similarly, I'm sure that 33 million is either the figure for Tokyo Prefecture, which includes more than the city of Tokyo proper, or some statistical area that includes urbanized parts of adjoining prefectures, and possibly even Yokohama which is a major city in its own right.

Having said that, Tokyo city probably still has a higher density than NYC and I agree that local cultural patterns and manners have a lot of influence on the cycling experience as well as overall quality of life.

As for the question of forcing behavior modifications on people, and specifically on drivers: a couple of years ago Honolulu, where I usually live, got very serious about making drivers stop for pedestrians in crosswalks. Apparently too many tourists were getting run over. To my surprise, it has been effective -- drivers almost never stopped before, but now they usually do, and without yelling or throwing stuff at the peds. Kind of a small step for mankind, admittedly, but it does show that there is hope...
Old 01-13-11, 02:42 AM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just found an interview with David Owen, who writes for the New Yorker and has written a book called Green Metropolis: Why Living Smaller, Living Closer, and Driving Less are the Keys to Sustainability.
Hey, I just got this from the library and it's a great read so far. Thanks for letting me know about it
Old 01-13-11, 07:53 PM
Sophomoric Member

Interesting. According to that list, Los Angeles is the densest city in the USA, ahead of San Fransisco and New York. But Los Angeles is often described as too sprawled to be practical for bikes and public transit! And I've never heard it described as a bike-friendly city. Evidently, I've had a lot of misconceptions about population density that I'll have to reconsider.

(Or else the list is full of crap.)

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 01-13-11, 08:53 PM
In the right lane

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
(Or else the list is full of crap.)
How can you say that? It's on the Internet.

This one -- from 1990 -- claims that New York is denser.... 9151 per sq. km. https://www.demographia.com/db-us90city100kdens.htm... so maybe you are right.

Here's another that claims the densest US cities are actually in New Jersey. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...lation_density

Oh my... I apologize for the noise.
Old 01-14-11, 08:20 PM
Sophomoric Member

How can you say that? It's on the Internet.

This one -- from 1990 -- claims that New York is denser.... 9151 per sq. km. https://www.demographia.com/db-us90city100kdens.htm... so maybe you are right.

Here's another that claims the densest US cities are actually in New Jersey. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...lation_density

Oh my... I apologize for the noise.
Good gosh, they're all totally different! Good luck to anybody trying to make meaningful comparisons.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 01-15-11, 04:00 PM
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Liked 16 Times in 15 Posts
Good gosh, they're all totally different! Good luck to anybody trying to make meaningful comparisons.
That is why I suggested city-data.com, it is based on US census figures so it will be quite accurate, you can chose whether you want the borough, the city, the county, the metro region or the state.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 01-15-11, 06:00 PM
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by wahoonc
That is why I suggested city-data.com, it is based on US census figures so it will be quite accurate, you can chose whether you want the borough, the city, the county, the metro region or the state.

Aaron
Yes, I've been using city-data.com for years. But AFAIK it doesn't compile data across cities, so it's hard to compare different cities.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 01-16-11, 06:08 PM
In the right lane

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

Aaron
Is there any data on population density?... I see all kinds of other info.

It would be nice to compare Tokyo's situation to New York's.... I'm wondering if these larger cities are really bike un-friendly. To me traffic congestion and slow-moving cars makes it easier to navigate streets by bicycle. When traffic moves efficiently, it's a nightmare for bikes.
Old 01-16-11, 06:24 PM
2 Fat 2 Furious

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport RIP

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Living in London some of the changes I've seen fairly recently in my home city (and the fact I bought my first bike in 20-odd years about 18 months back) have given me a fresh perspective on getting around.

Personally I'm not interested in arguments relating to things like global climate change. What I am interested in is the fact that a journey by bike is usually quicker and always cheaper than the same journey by any other mode of transport, as long as I'm fit enough to maintain a decent speed over the distance. Unless I'm taking the bike point-to-point along an established public transport route (when a bus may be faster), or travelling at silly times of the day (when a car will probably be faster), the bike is quickest. If traffic is stationary along a particular section then as long as it's wide enough I can zip past all the cars without any trouble at all.

What does pose a problem is bike security. At home I keep the bike indoors, but if I'm going out I want to know the bike is safe. One friend I visit lives three floors up in a small apartment, but has a balcony so I can carry the bike through. Another lives in a small apartment with no balcony and nowhere to secure the bike. If I go into town there are some places to secure bikes but I always tend to be a bit cagey about leaving it unattended for any length of time, even if just about every removable part is locked to something.

I think fundamentally some people just want to take their car everywhere, and the only way to stop them is to price them off the road. Unfortunately that has all sorts of other knock-on effects and so registers pretty heavily as a Bad Idea. I figure if people want to pay more to take longer to cover the same distance, then have to hunt for a parking space and pay through the nose to park, who am I to stand in their way? Just give me what I need - a safe place to ride my bike and somewhere safe to secure it - and I don't really care if someone else wants to pay for what could have been free.
Old 01-16-11, 07:08 PM
bragi

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by contango
I figure if people want to pay more to take longer to cover the same distance, then have to hunt for a parking space and pay through the nose to park, who am I to stand in their way? Just give me what I need - a safe place to ride my bike and somewhere safe to secure it - and I don't really care if someone else wants to pay for what could have been free.
I sort of agree with you, but not completely. The problem with driving is that while you privately pay more to indulge in it, others end up subsidizing it as well. The motorist might complain about the transit rider getting a subsidy, but, if you look at the larger picture, the motorist is more of a welfare case than any other type of user of the transportation infrastructure.
Old 01-17-11, 03:04 AM
2 Fat 2 Furious

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport RIP

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I sort of agree with you, but not completely. The problem with driving is that while you privately pay more to indulge in it, others end up subsidizing it as well. The motorist might complain about the transit rider getting a subsidy, but, if you look at the larger picture, the motorist is more of a welfare case than any other type of user of the transportation infrastructure.
In the UK from what I recall (haven't seen figures for a while) taxes paid by motorists are significantly higher than what the government spends on the roads. I know that doesn't address the issues of exhaust emissions but from a financial perspective I think the British motorist does pay their way and then some.

Our fuel prices are currently around £1.24 per litre, so in your terms that's somewhere in the region of $7/gallon.
Old 01-17-11, 11:49 PM
bragi

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
In the UK from what I recall (haven't seen figures for a while) taxes paid by motorists are significantly higher than what the government spends on the roads. I know that doesn't address the issues of exhaust emissions but from a financial perspective I think the British motorist does pay their way and then some.

Our fuel prices are currently around £1.24 per litre, so in your terms that's somewhere in the region of $7/gallon.
I applaud the balls of Brit politicians. If US politicians attempted to consider even a modest increase of our very low fuel taxes, they would be trounced at the next election. Apparently, a very large segment of our population has been brainwashed into thinking that all government is bad. Consequently, even very basic public services, such as road maintenance and education, are severely underfunded, with the result that the quality of life in the US is gradually approaching that of a third world country for all but the wealthy.
Old 01-18-11, 08:45 AM
2 Fat 2 Furious

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I applaud the balls of Brit politicians. If US politicians attempted to consider even a modest increase of our very low fuel taxes, they would be trounced at the next election. Apparently, a very large segment of our population has been brainwashed into thinking that all government is bad. Consequently, even very basic public services, such as road maintenance and education, are severely underfunded, with the result that the quality of life in the US is gradually approaching that of a third world country for all but the wealthy.
If your fuel prices went to the levels we've reluctantly grown used to the economy would all but stop I would imagine.

There may be a case for taxes higher than you currently pay (I don't know how US fuel prices break down into costs, profits and taxes), but when prices go too high it tends to hurt those least able to handle it. The fund manager who drives his Lamborghini half a mile from his luxury riverside apartment to his office, just because he can, doesn't care. The person living out of town because they can't afford to live in town gets it in the shorts.

To be honest if your government is anything like ours there are probably all sorts of so-called porkbarrel projects that could be cut to free up funds for more useful things without raising taxes on anything.
Old 01-18-11, 05:38 PM
Sophomoric Member

If your fuel prices went to the levels we've reluctantly grown used to the economy would all but stop I would imagine.

There may be a case for taxes higher than you currently pay (I don't know how US fuel prices break down into costs, profits and taxes), but when prices go too high it tends to hurt those least able to handle it. The fund manager who drives his Lamborghini half a mile from his luxury riverside apartment to his office, just because he can, doesn't care. The person living out of town because they can't afford to live in town gets it in the shorts.

To be honest if your government is anything like ours there are probably all sorts of so-called porkbarrel projects that could be cut to free up funds for more useful things without raising taxes on anything.
I agree about high fuel taxes hurting poorer people most. I'd like to see super-high fuel taxes that are revenue neutral. Make gas cost $8 a gallon but give everybody a reverse tax payment of $100 a week. Those who drive a lot will spend the $100 on gas, while us carfree folks will spend the $100 on whatever we want.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 01-18-11, 06:52 PM
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Yes, I've been using city-data.com for years. But AFAIK it doesn't compile data across cities, so it's hard to compare different cities.
I open up multiple tabs (one for each city) and do my own comparisons. If I wasn't so lazy I could produce my own charts...

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

_krazygluon
Old 01-18-11, 06:55 PM
Membership Not Required

Is there any data on population density?... I see all kinds of other info.

It would be nice to compare Tokyo's situation to New York's.... I'm wondering if these larger cities are really bike un-friendly. To me traffic congestion and slow-moving cars makes it easier to navigate streets by bicycle. When traffic moves efficiently, it's a nightmare for bikes.
Population Density is in there, usually just a single line somewhere around where it gives the ancestries and time zones. City-Data does not list anything outside of the US.

Aaron

RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

_krazygluon
Old 01-18-11, 10:32 PM
In the right lane

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Population Density is in there, usually just a single line somewhere around where it gives the ancestries and time zones. City-Data does not list anything outside of the US.

Aaron
Thanks Aaron. One wikipedia entry I am leaning towards is this one. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._by_population If you click on the "Discussion" tab, you get to set various qualifications about the actual data. For example, the New York statistic appears to include a wider area than you might expect, which tends to reduce the actual density per sq km.

However, without a doubt, Tokyo is one of the largest cities in the world and a population density > New York's and still several posters here rate it here as bike friendly.

Toronto is also pretty crowded, as is Rotterdam, and these are also very bike-able cities.
Old 01-19-11, 12:28 AM
bragi

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks Aaron. One wikipedia entry I am leaning towards is this one. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._by_population If you click on the "Discussion" tab, you get to set various qualifications about the actual data. For example, the New York statistic appears to include a wider area than you might expect, which tends to reduce the actual density per sq km.

However, without a doubt, Tokyo is one of the largest cities in the world and a population density > New York's and still several posters here rate it here as bike friendly.

Toronto is also pretty crowded, as is Rotterdam, and these are also very bike-able cities.
Densely populated areas are, if anything, more appropriate for bicycling than less-densely populated areas. Los Angeles isn't very amenable to a car-free lifestyle, partly because of the culture itself (i.e., car-obsessed inhabitants), but also because everything is so sprawled out. More geographically compact, dense cities, on the other hand, like San Francisco, Seattle, central Portland, NYC, along with the usual Euro cities, seem to work out really well for cyclists.
Old 01-19-11, 01:15 AM
Single-serving poster

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hong Kong is the densest city in the world, from what i've heard cycling there is quite insane and not that popular compared to transit . Not to mention the geography is a very limiting factor for cycling. I guess people are out of their cars though.
Old 02-10-11, 02:53 PM
Very, very Senior Member

Bikes: 2012 Surly Troll, 1999 Hardtail MTB

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've compiled some numbers, for cities I have used persons per sq mile for US and Europe.

I always thought that part of the problem was population density (better public transit in Europe etc), but at least for the major US cities that doesn't seem to be the case:

England 1023 sq mi
Belgium 918 sq mi
Germany 593 sq mi
Italy 519 sq mi
Denmark 334 sq mi
Poland 319 sq mi
France 301 sq mi
Austria 257 sq mi
Spain 231 sq mi

US states:
MA 810 sq mi
CT 703 sq mi
NY 408 sq mi
FL 350 sq mi
OH 250 sq mi
MO 87 sq mi
NM 16 sq mi

city (proper):

Paris 21,000 sq mi
London 12,450 sq mi
Vienna 10,693 sq mi
Berlin 10,000 sq mi
zurich 10,000 sq mi
amsterdam 9,080 sq mi
Hamburg 6,068 sq mi

Brooklyn 36,000 sq mi
san francisco 17,323
chicago 12,557 sq mi
philadelphia 11,457
washington dc 10,000 sq mi
seattle 7,361 sq mi
denver 4000 sq mi
charlotte, nc 3,000 sq mi
kansas city 1,538
Old 02-12-11, 11:02 PM
In the right lane

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
One thing I notice about the data is that New York must be the metropolitan area, which probably covers Connecticut too. It seems like trying to nail down this figure is like trying to compare apples and oranges. I am heartened though that really large cities like Tokyo are reasonably bike friendly. What does that tell you?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.