Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Campagnolo - great stuff but I'm done.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Campagnolo - great stuff but I'm done.

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-10, 10:55 AM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by canopus
I don't think keeping a spare chain and cassette is considered stocking a bike shop. Heck, I keep 2nd bike I can pull parts from if needed. And at 300/400 miles per week as you say your looking at turn over in the 2 to 3 month range anyway.
Point. Missed.
Old 11-23-10, 11:05 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not trying to sway you, (now that I have Centaur, I kind of wish I had just went Rival) but I can get anything for Campy 10 speed that I would need through my QBP dealer in about 3 days. I also highly recommend KMC's DX10SC chain, 250 grams, $30, smooth shifting.
Old 11-23-10, 11:08 AM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS
Your post proves that you're not much of a mechanic either. I've used Shimano and KMC chains with Campy and never had a problem.
Even the cheap KMC DX10SC works just fine. Did you use an 11T lockring? It's not the same as the 12-13T model. There is no reason for
another chain brand to skip on the 11T cog.

If you know that local shops don't stock Campy parts, why whine about it? My local shops don't either, so I buy everything mail order - for the last 15 years.
I never said I was a mechanic. I don't want to be a mechanic. I have no interest in wrenching. Multiple mechanics tried different KMC and Wipperman chains. Other than the KMC x10 all are a little wider than the Campy chains and appeared to be sucked up a liitle by the next cog enough to cause it to jump under heavy torque. It is a 11t specific locking also.

How about another anecdotal example - a shifter paddle snapped on one of my shifters. Guess I should keep a spare set of shifters around to eh? SRAM or Shimano and I would've been fixed the same day.
Old 11-23-10, 11:41 AM

Bikes: Cervelo Rouvida x 2

Liked 571 Times in 455 Posts
All 10 speed chains have been the same 5.9mm width with since 2007, so width is not the problem.
There is ample room between the cogs for any brand of 10 speed chain.
I'd say your mechanics aren't very smart either - probably had a 12T lockring on.
It seems like you've had unusually bad luck. I've never had a mechanical issue since I began using Campy in 1995.
The broken finger lever could be a fluke or it could be the result of more poor mechanical work causing too
much force to move the shift cable.

If you can't perform simple jobs like changing a chain or installing a cassette, then you might be better off with SRAM or Shimano.
I tend to make the assumption that most people can do this type of simple repair.
Old 11-23-10, 11:59 AM
Gunner.

Bikes: Giant TCR, Spooky Skeletor, Pivot Mach 6

Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
I tend to make the assumption that most people WANT to do this type of simple repair.
FIFY.

Ravenmore - good to see you're back I've always enjoyed your participation in threads. I say you go with Microshift. (Flame suit on)

Super cheap, pretty light, and crashable. Other wise I'm still a Shimano fan.

Good luck.
Old 11-23-10, 12:01 PM

Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
pm sent
Old 11-23-10, 12:14 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
And Microshift is soooo hot too.

DaveSSS - get off my lawn you mechanic weenie. (Channeling my best PCad) And I'm pretty sure you're wrong about chain widths, but will have to wait until later to dig up info.
Old 11-23-10, 12:24 PM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
he is correct about chain widths. campy used to be wider at 6.1 but now everyone is at 5.9
Old 11-23-10, 01:36 PM

Bikes: Cervelo Rouvida x 2

Liked 571 Times in 455 Posts
Sorry, but I'm amused when people whine about the cost of repairs, but won't take the initiative to
learn how to do the work themselves. Changing a cassette or chain is not harder than chnaging a flat tire.
I hope you don't need someone to do that for you, too.

Also, since Campy cog spacing is 4.15mm compared to Shimano's 3.95mm, there's more room between the cogs.
Campy 10 chains used to be 6.1mm, but that was reduced to 5.9mm in 2007.
Old 11-23-10, 01:38 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
actually I just looked and the KMC x10SL is claiming a chainwidth of 5.88 and Campy is 5.9. Haven't checked anyone else (I seem to recall the chains I have that didn't work might be 6.1).
Old 11-23-10, 01:45 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Sorry, but I'm amused when people whine about the cost of repairs, but won't take the initiative to
learn how to do the work themselves. Changing a cassette or chain is not harder than chnaging a flat tire.
I hope you don't need someone to do that for you, too.

Also, since Campy cog spacing is 4.15mm compared to Shimano's 3.95mm, there's more room between the cogs.
Campy 10 chains used to be 6.1mm, but that was reduced to 5.9mm in 2007.
You're easily amused then. I just stated the reality that Campy is more expensive, less of a value overall, and has a much lower availability where I live. That's a fact jack. And if you say I whine one more time I'm gonna send you a block of cheese sparky.
Old 11-23-10, 02:27 PM

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Liked 326 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by ravenmore
Don't get me wrong - I've spent a lot of time on all 3 major groups and I love how Campy performs, but I'm tired of $85 chains, $200 cassettes, and then getting the honor of having to wait days/weeks for such expensive bits because no one has them locally.
10 speed Veloce chains are $37.50 from the UK and cassettes $49 at current exchange rates. You don't need to pay for hollow pins and titanium bling if you don't want to. International shipping via Royal Mail is less than some places charge for domestic delivery via UPS.

Campagnolo chains last 3000-5000 miles depending on how attentive you are to cleaning. Nickel chrome plated steel Campagnolo cassettes seem to last through at least three chains, perhaps more if you're prompt about chain replacement and/or rotate chains. You have enough advance warning that a week for delivery via Royal Mail just doesn't matter.
Old 11-23-10, 02:32 PM
Boom.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Campy owners are so sensitive.
Old 11-23-10, 02:43 PM

Bikes: Kestrel RT900SL, 1975 Viner, Specialized StumpJumper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Over the years I've went from Campy Veloce>Centaur>Record 10> Chorus 11 and now to SRAM Force. I would order spares chains, cassettes, cables etc.. every spring to get me through the season. But sometimes I would get caught with out something and would have to over pay locally because I needed it. This fact and the fact I couldn't keep the Chorus 11 in tune over a long period of time prompted me to switch to a new drivetrain. I went with Force and with only 300 miles on it,I love it.

I kept my 09 Eurus wheels and had to change out the free hub, which had to be ordered strait from Campy at a cost of $97.00. Kinda crazy but I did sell the other free hub on EBay for $40.00.

I look forward to picking up parts locally and supporting the LBS in the area as opposed to pre-ordering from the UK.
Old 11-23-10, 02:51 PM

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Liked 278 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by Blackdays
Campy owners are so sensitive.
+1 They would turn on you just like that!
Old 11-23-10, 04:03 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by c_bake
Over the years I've went from Campy Veloce>Centaur>Record 10> Chorus 11 and now to SRAM Force. I would order spares chains, cassettes, cables etc.. every spring to get me through the season. But sometimes I would get caught with out something and would have to over pay locally because I needed it. This fact and the fact I couldn't keep the Chorus 11 in tune over a long period of time prompted me to switch to a new drivetrain. I look forward to picking up parts locally and supporting the LBS in the area as opposed to pre-ordering from the UK.
Ah, finally, someone else understands where my frustration is coming from.

Also, Campy has stopped making/supporting some 10 spd stuff. Several friends who work at or own lbs' have complained to me that they can't even order some Campy items to stock if they wanted to because their distributors don't have it.

Look point is, if I break a shifter, or a chain, or bend a chain ring, - I like having the option to go into any bike store and get a reasonably priced replacement that day if I want. There are times and situations where having the flexibility to do business locally and immediately is a big advantage. I cannot do that with Campy anymore. Period.
Old 11-23-10, 05:40 PM
Live to ride ride to live

Bikes: Calfee Tetra Pro

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by c_bake
Over the years I've went from Campy Veloce>Centaur>Record 10> Chorus 11 and now to SRAM Force. I would order spares chains, cassettes, cables etc.. every spring to get me through the season. But sometimes I would get caught with out something and would have to over pay locally because I needed it. This fact and the fact I couldn't keep the Chorus 11 in tune over a long period of time prompted me to switch to a new drivetrain. I went with Force and with only 300 miles on it,I love it.

I kept my 09 Eurus wheels and had to change out the free hub, which had to be ordered strait from Campy at a cost of $97.00. Kinda crazy but I did sell the other free hub on EBay for $40.00.

I look forward to picking up parts locally and supporting the LBS in the area as opposed to pre-ordering from the UK.
I would like to hear more about the issues you had keeping Campy Chorus 11 tuned. I have had Campy Chorus 10 for four years and haven't had to tune it even once in four years. All that I have had to do is change the chain and adjust the DR barrel a quarter turn.

I want to replace my triple and I will either go with Campy 11, which is what I plan on doing, or maybe SRAM. The only thing that would persuade me to go with SRAM is if Campy 11 had reliability problems and you are the only person I have heard from that has had any problems.
Old 11-23-10, 05:41 PM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
actually I just looked and the KMC x10SL is claiming a chainwidth of 5.88 and Campy is 5.9. Haven't checked anyone else (I seem to recall the chains I have that didn't work might be 6.1).
campagnolo cassettes were made for 6.1mm chains.

Ah, finally, someone else understands where my frustration is coming from.

Also, Campy has stopped making/supporting some 10 spd stuff. Several friends who work at or own lbs' have complained to me that they can't even order some Campy items to stock if they wanted to because their distributors don't have it.

Look point is, if I break a shifter, or a chain, or bend a chain ring, - I like having the option to go into any bike store and get a reasonably priced replacement that day if I want. There are times and situations where having the flexibility to do business locally and immediately is a big advantage. I cannot do that with Campy anymore. Period.
what cant you find??

this year i bought a cassette, two chains, two square taper bottom brackets, chainring, crankset, a rear derailleur, and rebuilt two shifters.

Last edited by thirdgenbird; 11-23-10 at 05:48 PM.
Old 11-23-10, 06:56 PM
"Chooch"

Bikes: Late 1990s Ciocc Titan

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I never said I was a mechanic. I don't want to be a mechanic. I have no interest in wrenching.
If you're going to regularly ride an expensive pro bike then I (politely) suggest that you learn to do at least little of your own wrenching - or have a budget for regular maintenance/repairs and a competent mechanic readily available.

Nobody works on my Campy Super Record equipped Ciocc but ME. That's one reason why it is as mechanically sound as the day I first took it on the road . . . back in 1986.
Old 11-23-10, 07:49 PM

Bikes: Kestrel RT900SL, 1975 Viner, Specialized StumpJumper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbon Unit
I would like to hear more about the issues you had keeping Campy Chorus 11 tuned. I have had Campy Chorus 10 for four years and haven't had to tune it even once in four years. All that I have had to do is change the chain and adjust the DR barrel a quarter turn.

I want to replace my triple and I will either go with Campy 11, which is what I plan on doing, or maybe SRAM. The only thing that would persuade me to go with SRAM is if Campy 11 had reliability problems and you are the only person I have heard from that has had any problems.
Chorus 11: Basically I was frequently adjusting the RD, I just couldn't get it right it was very 'finicky' and just would not stay in tune. I wrench on my own stuff but with Chorus 11 I had to take it to my LBS that is very familiar with Campy and they were always able to adjust it correctly but only after the cables and housing got replaced. 3 times this past summer the cables/housing got replaced. August was the last time I took it in and after they looked at it, I got the same answer. Needs new cables/housing. Thats when I made the decision to change. It just got annoying with the mis-shifts. I average 5K miles from about April to October and always keep the chain and cassette clean and the LBS never mentioned the chain or cassette as being the problem. As mentioned previously, local shops charge a lot for Campy stuff and it just got to be a pain.

It's weird because I know people that never had any of the issues I had but I've met other riders that would ask if I have problems with 11 speed Campy because they did as well. Who knows.

Record 10: Really only had to adjust it maybe once or twice a year, and would only replace the cables once a year. I thought it was better than Chorus 11 in hindsight.

Centaur/Veloce: Good stuff, never had a problem but really never liked the weak spring action in the shifters and the upgrade bug bit me so I went for Record.

FWIW I really like my SRAM Force, I installed it all my self, adjusted it within minutes and although I only have about 300 miles on it, it feels great in my hands, is built really well and the shifts are precise, I'm glad I made the change.

Last edited by c_bake; 11-23-10 at 07:54 PM.
Old 11-23-10, 08:29 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
FWIW, I've got Chorus 11 on 2 bikes and once they were set up, I haven't had a lick of trouble. They work great. Never need adjustment either. Running perfectly. 2500mi on one bike and 5000 on the other. My LBS also stocks Campy chains and cassettes, along with other parts. Anything I need that they don't have, they can get in a few days. Prices are good too.

Maybe I'm just lucky, but if you set it up right, it's fine. I've heard it's a bit finicky with the length of the last piece of housing that goes to the rear der, but I must have it right on both bikes.

Some sort of pithy irrelevant one-liner should go here.
Old 11-23-10, 09:34 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by thirdgenbird

what cant you find??

this year i bought a cassette, two chains, two square taper bottom brackets, chainring, crankset, a rear derailleur, and rebuilt two shifters.
It wasn't me - two LBS owners I have had conversations with. One of which used to ride Campy but switched to Sram in the past year or two actually.
Old 11-23-10, 09:39 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ciocc_cat
If you're going to regularly ride an expensive pro bike then I (politely) suggest that you learn to do at least little of your own wrenching - or have a budget for regular maintenance/repairs and a competent mechanic readily available.

Nobody works on my Campy Super Record equipped Ciocc but ME. That's one reason why it is as mechanically sound as the day I first took it on the road . . . back in 1986.
I'm not as bad as I make myself out to be. I can change a cassette for example. But the fine tuning I prefer to leave to my mechanic friends. I really just don't like wrenching really - not my thing. Good for you if you dig it.
Old 11-23-10, 09:51 PM

Bikes: Marin Verona road bike, Cannondale F300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ravenmore, which bike shops in Austin did you try? I have Campy and had trouble finding parts at some shops, but Mellow Johnny's and Nelo's had what I needed.
Old 11-24-10, 05:44 AM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by AusTai
Ravenmore, which bike shops in Austin did you try? I have Campy and had trouble finding parts at some shops, but Mellow Johnny's and Nelo's had what I needed.
I usually go to Bicycle Sport Shop, Buck's (I know everyone there real well plus its fairly close to the house), or SW Cyclesport (I'm friends with the owners). Mellow Johnnies is a 60 mile round trip for me but I love going down there. They did have a Veloce cassette on hand when I broke my cog last time, but they were asking a pretty penny for it. If I'd had Shimano/Sram I could've walked in to any of the above and purchased a 105 cassette for around $50 and been done (or even just a replacement cog - most shops have those on hand for Shimano).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.