Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

anybody into the soccer WC?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

anybody into the soccer WC?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-10, 07:05 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AngryScientist
who in the US has world cup coverage on cable?
ESPN channels and ABC are showing every game.

England/US tomorrow is on ABC.
Old 06-11-10, 07:13 AM
Still can't climb

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Come on England!

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack
Old 06-11-10, 07:15 AM

Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by coasting
Come on England!
Old 06-11-10, 07:16 AM
Still can't climb

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
oh dear. are those the hooligans stopped by police at the airport?

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack
Old 06-11-10, 07:20 AM
On the Move

Bikes: Lots

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have a keg of Dogfish Head 60-minute on ice, and I'm ready for tomorrow.

I don't watch "football" at any other time, but this is the World Cup and for many people like myself, the first one they will see in high-def since likely 10 times as many people have a high def TV as in 2006. As we all know HD is superior, but the first time I saw a cycling race on Versus HD I was astounded how much better visually it really was. I figure the World Cup even more so.

The World Cup has huge energy with the stadiums packed and loud. So turn up the volume, set the signal processing to Stadium, and enjoy.
Oh, and ABC/ESPN hired the best commentator from the English Premier League to broadcast.

Last edited by teterider; 06-11-10 at 07:23 AM.
Old 06-11-10, 07:32 AM

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD8 Ultegra, Katakura Silk Single Speed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FujiFixed
Yes! Can't wait.

It will be beautiful watching England lift the cup...
FujiFixed Are you going to watch England vs U.S.? If so where? I'm heading into Shinjuku with a few mates to try and find a big screen.
Old 06-11-10, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by teterider
I have a keg of Dogfish Head 60-minute on ice, and I'm ready for tomorrow.

I don't watch "football" at any other time, but this is the World Cup and for many people like myself, the first one they will see in high-def since likely 10 times as many people have a high def TV as in 2006. As we all know HD is superior, but the first time I saw a cycling race on Versus HD I was astounded how much better visually it really was. I figure the World Cup even more so.

The World Cup has huge energy with the stadiums packed and loud. So turn up the volume, set the signal processing to Stadium, and enjoy.

Oh, and ABC/ESPN hired the best commentator from the English Premier League to broadcast.
john motson?
Old 06-11-10, 07:57 AM
Chaulky

Bikes: Colnago cx-1, Colnago Master

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Come on England!
Some people are on the pitch! They think it's all over! It is now, it's four!
(That said, Hup, Holland, Hup)
Old 06-11-10, 08:03 AM
out walking the earth

Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
p&r
Old 06-11-10, 10:38 AM
Sua Ku

Bikes: Trek 5200, BMC SLC01, BMC SSX, Specialized FSR, Holdsworth Criterium

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by botto
how do you see the spanish bottling it, and the dutch - the fles koningen -not?
Hey first time the Dutch aren't arguing amongst themselves before kicking a ball... there is time.
Old 06-11-10, 10:40 AM
Sua Ku

Bikes: Trek 5200, BMC SLC01, BMC SSX, Specialized FSR, Holdsworth Criterium

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by botto
[ IMG]https://www.that-dj.com/wp-content/uploads/image/chav.JPG[/IMG]
Stop. You're making me homesick.
Old 06-11-10, 10:47 AM
Still can't climb

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by rollin
Stop. You're making me homesick.

Old 06-11-10, 11:46 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If the US is lucky tomorrow they will get a tie.
Old 06-11-10, 12:05 PM
Still can't climb

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
If I'm lucky I'll get back in time from my planned century. Fingers crossed I don't get a mechanical prob or flat.

Old 06-11-10, 12:07 PM
stole your bike

Bikes: Orbea Orca, Ridley Compact

Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by ultraman6970
If the US is lucky tomorrow they will get a tie.

I'm not quite sure why everyone is so certain it's going to be a walk in the park for England and the US doesn't have a good chance of beating them. Quite a few of the players on the US side play or have played in the Prem so they know what to expect. The US needs to play this game with no fear of England and get past the hype around England; if the US could beat Spain and put on that kind of performance then they'll be fine.

Originally Posted by rollin
Yes. I will be leaving for SA next Wednesday. Cape Town 2 matches confirmed and then let's see where we go from there.

Come on In-Grrrr-Lund.

This will be my 4th World Cup.
Italia 90 - Couldn't get semi tickets but saw England lose to Italy in the 3rd/4th play off
France 98 - Saw England lose to Romania in the group stages
Japan 2002 - Saw some group games, couldn't get tickets to watch England lose to Brazil in the quarters.

There is a theme here...

I think the Spanish will bottle it. My money is on the Dutch and, as an outside bet, Chile.

.... and In-Grrr-Lund.

(foo)
That match against Brazil in 2002 was a heart breaker. I was up at 2am to watch it and was hoping England could keep the lead and for a while it looked like they would but...well you know what happened after that. I've been following English football for a long time now ('88..United supporter) so they've become my adopted team since through most of my youth the US has been rubbish. The game has come a long way here and now we're fielding professional players who know what it is to play at the top level unlike before where we fielded collegiate players.

Last edited by roadiejorge; 06-11-10 at 12:16 PM.
Old 06-11-10, 12:08 PM
Still can't climb

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by roadiejorge
I'm not quite sure why everyone is so certain it's going to be a walk in the park for England and the US doesn't have a good chance of beating them. Quite a few of the players on the US side play or have played in the Prem so they know what to expect. The US needs to play this game with no fear of England and get past the hype around England; if the US could beat Spain and put on that kind of performance then they'll be fine.
didnt america do rather well in the qualification matches? This is not a foregone conclusion.

Old 06-11-10, 12:22 PM
stole your bike

Bikes: Orbea Orca, Ridley Compact

Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
didnt america do rather well in the qualification matches? This is not a foregone conclusion.
They've done well, though that performance against the Dutch wasn't too reassuring. I think people both here and in England who know their football aren't going to assume it's going to be an easy match for either side, of course that depends on what teams show up. Some are a bit over confident that the US will be easy to beat, and 10 years ago I would agree now not so much.

Our group (CONCACAF) isn't very strong so it would take something special for the US and Mexico not to qualify, but they did play well. I was most impressed by how they were able to turn it around in the Confederations Cup because I thought they were going to get annihilated.
Old 06-11-10, 12:28 PM
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
WC time is awesome... about the only time I get interested in "footie" Now if only my TV had a notch filter to get rid of that stupid, constant drone from 80,000 horns that never stop.

England is doomed to bitter disappointment in the WC... and nothing would be more bitterly disappointing than to lose to a former colony that doesn't even really care about the sport. So I think that's USA's leg up ... the fear factor. Although I don't think any of the English need to fear getting shot when they get home a la Columbia, so maybe it's not so much of an advantage.

All in good fun, it's days like this that I enjoy working at home in front of the big screen.
Old 06-11-10, 12:41 PM
In the wind

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Team, Lemond Buenos Aires, Giant TCX, Miyata 1000LT

Liked 120 Times in 54 Posts
I'm hoping one of the African teams does well, preferably Ivory Coast and/or SA. For me, the free flowing attacking style of play that Argentina, Netherlands and Brazil are known for makes for the best spectacle, even if it isn't always successful. The worst possible final would be Italy vs France (again).
Old 06-11-10, 12:54 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
England and US will play to a draw and both will be satisfied with that - its about moving on and they both should
Old 06-11-10, 01:49 PM

Bikes: 2013 Synapse 4

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i can be now that my blackhawks won the stanley cup!!!!

GO USA!!!! if we don't make it I'll pull for Brasil
Old 06-11-10, 03:10 PM

Bikes: Moots Vamoots, Colnago C60, Santa Cruz Stigmata CC, and too many other bikes I don't ride

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Why can't the french do something about their coach? he's such as ******
Old 06-11-10, 03:14 PM
**** that

Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by mercator
I'm hoping one of the African teams does well, preferably Ivory Coast and/or SA. For me, the free flowing attacking style of play that Argentina, Netherlands and Brazil are known for makes for the best spectacle, even if it isn't always successful. The worst possible final would be Italy vs France (again).
Yes! Drogba(?) for the win?!

my race videos
Old 06-11-10, 03:21 PM
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by skol
England and US will play to a draw and both will be satisfied with that - its about moving on and they both should
Nah, England will probably win 1-0 and the US will feel good about being in it the whole time. Both teams should advance anyway.
Old 06-11-10, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by mercator

incorrect. it would be germany vs italy (if that's even possible).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.