Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Fulcrum Racing 6 (Oh Snap)

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Fulcrum Racing 6 (Oh Snap)

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-10, 04:54 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Racing 6 are designed for everyday use and training. An optimum proposal from Fulcrum which guarantees excellent quality.

The hubs are completely new: oversized and provided with flanges for blade hammer-head spokes. Smoothness is ensured by sealed high-quality bearings and they have a new single-piece body which incorporates the freewheel body and pawl carrier in a single component with a considerable reduction of weight.
The spokes have blade hammer-heads of the Aero type and differentiated thickness, 24 in the front wheel and 27 in the rear wheel.There is radial spoking for the front wheel and the patented Fulcrum 2:1 Two-to-One™ Spoke Ratio for the rear wheel. Also unchanged is the presence of Dynamic Balance™ which, thanks to two oversized spokes, balances the concentration of the rim joint material during wheel rotation.
The rim is a medium-sectioned one with a height of 24 mm with reinforcing eyelets for the spokes and turned braking surfaces.
The new Racing 5 wheels have a deeper upper bridge of the rim to facilitate clincher tire fitting.

Racing 6 wheels are compatible with Campagnolo®, Shimano and Sram drivetrains.
Old 08-24-10, 07:01 PM
Road Warrior

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the Fulcrum Racing 6's on my brand new Specialized Tarmac SL2 2011. I have tried finding them on the fulcrum website, but they have not updated them. So far, they are very good wheels and ride well.
Old 08-24-10, 07:21 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm guessing that they're a cross between the 5 and 6. From the description it sounds like a proprietary hub (similar to the 7) with bladed spokes like the 5. Kind of a half-measure between the 5 and 7....hence the "6".
Old 08-24-10, 07:57 PM

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Liked 278 Times in 146 Posts
The new Specialized 2011 models are now up in the Specialized website to include MSRP. And yes Fulcrum 6 is in the offering.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...nuItemId=14878
Old 08-24-10, 09:37 PM

Bikes: Colnago C59 Italia Di2

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
edit removed
Old 08-25-10, 09:35 AM
Ride First, Work Later!!!

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Trek Superfly, Raleigh Rush Hour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
According to the local Specialized dealer they are going to be spec'd with 6's and 4's this year. He said the 4 was equal to a 3 and the 6 to a 5. Basically said it was a way for Fulcrum to determine if it was a model that came as "standard equipment" on a bike or purchased aftermarket? So far Specialized is the only thing I've seen with these though?
Old 08-25-10, 11:37 AM

Bikes: 2019 BMC Teammachine 02, 2019 Trek X-Caliber MTB, 2010 Specialized Allez Elite

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
This is a Racing 6. I was going to buy a set of these wheels from somebody who just got a new Roubaix (2011 model). So I can confirm first hand that these are Racing 6 wheels.
Old 08-25-10, 05:37 PM
Follow the Broom Wagon

Bikes: Scott CR1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The answer to the Racing 6 question.

I just got a reply back from Campagnolo/Fulcrum that I sent them re the Racing 6 wheels, and here is their reply:

Dear Sir,

Racing 6 are made only specifically for Specialized as a unique product to them. You can’t find any information about them in our catalogue range; for this reason I’m not able to
help you either. I’m sorry.

Cordiali Saluti/ Best Regards
Federico Fiori

Service Center
fax 0444/225400
Italy

nota : per domande frequenti la invito a consultare le FAQ da ora disponibili on-line. Allego link:
https://www.campagnolo.com/jsp/it/faq/index.jsp

note: for frequent questions I invite you to check the FAQ now available on-line. Here the link:
https://www.campagnolo.com/jsp/en/faq/index.jsp

Therefore, if you want a pair of Racing 6's, then you'll have to buy a Specialized.....
Old 08-25-10, 05:48 PM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
why would specialized have campagnolo spec them a wheel? what happened to roval?
Old 08-25-10, 05:51 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thirdgenbird
why would specialized have campagnolo spec them a wheel? what happened to roval?
They have Rovals on the pro Red, DA and up.
Old 08-25-10, 05:52 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by alexosh1234
I have the Fulcrum Racing 6's on my brand new Specialized Tarmac SL2 2011. I have tried finding them on the fulcrum website, but they have not updated them. So far, they are very good wheels and ride well.
How does the freehub sound? Fulcrum wheels that Specialized used in the past were very loud.
Old 08-25-10, 05:53 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Schmadley
The answer to the Racing 6 question.

I just got a reply back from Campagnolo/Fulcrum that I sent them re the Racing 6 wheels, and here is their reply:

Dear Sir,

Racing 6 are made only specifically for Specialized as a unique product to them. You can’t find any information about them in our catalogue range; for this reason I’m not able to
help you either. I’m sorry.

Cordiali Saluti/ Best Regards
Federico Fiori

Service Center
fax 0444/225400
Italy

nota : per domande frequenti la invito a consultare le FAQ da ora disponibili on-line. Allego link:
https://www.campagnolo.com/jsp/it/faq/index.jsp

note: for frequent questions I invite you to check the FAQ now available on-line. Here the link:
https://www.campagnolo.com/jsp/en/faq/index.jsp

Therefore, if you want a pair of Racing 6's, then you'll have to buy a Specialized.....
About the same amount of info you get on the Specialized site.
Old 08-25-10, 06:00 PM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by I_Like_Bike
They have Rovals on the pro Red, DA and up.
i know, but that doesnt answer the question. they put "house" wheels (thats not derogatory) on their high end bikes and then outsource their "low end" wheels to campagnolo (the only company they leave out of their drivetrain options) i guess i would have thought they would have gone to sram or shimano (the di2 kit wears dura-ace wheels)

edit:
i am guessing they are not trying to water the roval name down like trek did with bontrager, but i am surprised to see them turn to campagnolo

Last edited by thirdgenbird; 08-25-10 at 06:04 PM.
Old 08-25-10, 06:01 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok, here is the simple answer to the question, though someone guessed a similar answer above:

For Specialized wheels in 2011, they are partnering with Fulcrum to produce a line special for the company. They are combining a higher end up with the lower end rim. For example, the Fulcrum 6 has a 5 hub paired with a 7 rim. Thus, the 6.

The 4s are the same way: 3hub + 5 rims = Fulcrum Racing 4
Old 08-25-10, 06:44 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by thirdgenbird
i know, but that doesnt answer the question. they put "house" wheels (thats not derogatory) on their high end bikes and then outsource their "low end" wheels to campagnolo (the only company they leave out of their drivetrain options) i guess i would have thought they would have gone to sram or shimano (the di2 kit wears dura-ace wheels)

edit:
i am guessing they are not trying to water the roval name down like trek did with bontrager, but i am surprised to see them turn to campagnolo
I guess for the same reason they put Fulcrum 5 wheels on 2008 Tarmac and Roubaix Experts.
Old 03-11-11, 11:06 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Having just had my Fulcrum Racing 6 wheels stolen I can tell you that they only come on new Specialized bikes and you can't buy them anywhere.

I've replaced them with Fulcrum Racing 5. As it was the insurance company that paid I hope I've done well! Not that I can try them yet as my Shimano cassette won't fit until I change the freewheel body... harrumph.

Last edited by johnwere; 03-11-11 at 11:11 AM.
Old 03-11-11, 12:24 PM

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced 1 (2011), Santa Cruz Superlight (2000), Jamis Coda Comp (2009)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sabazel
Ok, here is the simple answer to the question, though someone guessed a similar answer above:

For Specialized wheels in 2011, they are partnering with Fulcrum to produce a line special for the company. They are combining a higher end up with the lower end rim. For example, the Fulcrum 6 has a 5 hub paired with a 7 rim. Thus, the 6.

The 4s are the same way: 3hub + 5 rims = Fulcrum Racing 4
BINGO!!! - The correct answer.
One addition - the spokes for a Fulcrum 6 are the same a Fulcrum 7, and for a Fulcrum 4 they are the same as a Fulcrum 5.