Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

My first commute!!!

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

My first commute!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-08, 08:56 PM

Bikes: Trek 4300 converted into SS, Mongoose Cannan Elite, GT Pro Carbon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fantasminha
Be careful with the light you hang on the back of your rack. I had that and a big bump would knock it off. I did that a couple of times before hubby fixed it on there with screws.

Thanks for the warning!
Im going with a setup thats made specific for the rack, I would hope they engineered it to stay on!!!
Old 12-01-08, 09:09 PM
headwinds suck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i have the same backpack and I never realized that little strap was for mounting blinkies...
Old 12-02-08, 09:39 AM

Bikes: Giant Sedona (Mid 90's), Giant Seek 2, Greenspeed Anura

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
4SEVEN3, welcome to the club! It may be a little tough at first (I'm back after about a month off) but just keep at it.

My biggest tip is be seen.
Old 12-02-08, 10:40 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 4SEVEN3
Thanks for the warning!
Im going with a setup thats made specific for the rack, I would hope they engineered it to stay on!!!
It's Topeak so it'll either be really good or so bad you wonder why the inventor wasn't shot. I use the rack fitting for the LD610 and I haven't any issues with it bouncing off even when bunny hopping speed bumps.
Old 12-02-08, 09:02 PM

Bikes: Trek 4300 converted into SS, Mongoose Cannan Elite, GT Pro Carbon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks! That description sounds like German engineering to me!

I just need to make my way to the LBS and order me a few goodies to get that light installed!

My wife has been giving me grief over riding. Beacuse it's so dark, early (4am) and fairly remote on country roads she dosent like me riding that paticular route. Im thinking of changing my route to get closer to the cuty streets, but cut across the city and still get my milage in. To be honest I think Ill feel a bit better about this as well. Im going to see what I can come up with.
Old 12-03-08, 10:56 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Once you get in condition (3-4 weeks off riding twice a week) you'll be up to an average speed of around 15mph. You could do the whole commute one-way in a little over an hour.

Go for it!