Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

mirrors on you bikes

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

mirrors on you bikes

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-08, 11:00 PM

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I have a Sprintech drop bar mirror. I like it.

https://aebike.com/page.cfm?PageID=30...ils&sku=MI2000

Last edited by croscoe; 07-24-08 at 10:26 AM. Reason: Added link.
Old 07-23-08, 11:22 PM
uke
it's easy if you let it.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Any good mirrors for road bikes, or are we limited to the helmet/shade option?
Old 07-24-08, 06:18 AM
It's easy being green.

Bikes: Trek Beach Cruiser, Sun X-2 AX (bent)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm working on one. Bought one and it doesn't fit in the handlebar the way the diagram shows. (Thank g-- I didn't cut off the end of the handlebar grip before I tested the fit of the mirror!)

I do think it is a necessity in the same way a rear-view is a necessity on a car or truck. I can't imagine having to stick my head out of the car over and over every time I wanted to turn or pass. I mean, there is still a head turn, but the mirror gives you some foresight. It saves a couple of head turns, at least.
Old 07-24-08, 07:29 AM
SSP
Software for Cyclists

Bikes: Trek 5200, Specialized MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rajman
Cat eye bar end mirror. Super cheap and it works for me.
+1.

I'm more a fan of glasses-mounted mirrors, because they tend to provide a more stable view (especially on rough roads), and because they allow me to see around corners by turning my head.

But, a few years ago I tried out several models of bar mounted mirrors.

Of the bar end mirrors that I tried, the cheap Cateye mirror was the best. It's only $7, can take some abuse, and provides a good field of view.

Last edited by SSP; 07-24-08 at 07:51 AM.
Old 07-24-08, 07:41 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by uke
Any good mirrors for road bikes, or are we limited to the helmet/shade option?
Go back and read the whole thread. Several links posted for exactly what you're looking for.
Old 07-24-08, 08:13 AM
YAT-YAS

Bikes: Old Green

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For some stupid reason, I cannot use helmet mounted mirrors.... I always end up one lane over about to get squished.

I'm waiting for my treking bar to show up from NASHBAR, and am trying to find some way to mount a mirror to that....any ideas?
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently and die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert A. Heinlein
Old 07-24-08, 08:33 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought a Zappa mirror off Nashbar and was horribly disappointed. I rode twice with it and it was quite nice in regards to field of view and everything. However, while dismounting my bike I hit my knee against it and it instantly severed. It was some cheap plastic. Absolutely worthless mirror since it really should be designed to withstand some common abuse.

At lease Nashbar is being good enough to give me a refund.
Old 07-24-08, 10:05 AM
Dirty old man in training

Bikes: 2007 Novara Randonee, 1991 Raleigh Olympian, 1988 Nishiki Ariel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Blackburn road mirror
Old 07-24-08, 10:12 AM
Commuter First

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1+ on the Take-A-Look, glassess mounted.

Won't happily get on a bike without it now (even if I'm riding with my kids on a bike path), and I kind of expect to be able to see behind myself at all times even when off the bike.

It took about 1-2 weeks to get used to and a month to get really good at using it, but you can see everything behind you, over either shoulder, and there is no blind spot.
Old 07-24-08, 10:13 AM

Bikes: The Grocery Getter.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SSP
+1.

Of the bar end mirrors that I tried, the cheap Cateye mirror was the best. It's only $7, can take some abuse, and provides a good field of view.

+1

These are what I use. Work well, are cheap & don't seem to break that easy. I've parked my bike in high traffic areas, come out to find the mirrors "readjusted", but never broken. Actually, I think I got mine for $5 a piece.
Old 07-24-08, 10:31 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The take-a-look type mirrors hurt my eyes as I have to strain to get a look. Handlebar mounted mirrors are far more comfortable for me.
Old 07-24-08, 12:33 PM
uke
it's easy if you let it.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by d2create
Go back and read the whole thread. Several links posted for exactly what you're looking for.
Read the thread. Saw only helmet and shade mounts. I'll pass.
Old 07-24-08, 12:44 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by uke
Read the thread. Saw only helmet and shade mounts. I'll pass.
OMG.

All of these posts show mirrors that will work with drop bars. If you have straight bars on a road bike, any of the other bar-end style mirrors will work.

Originally Posted by d2create
Evo Sport on my bike.
https://www.calhouncycle.com/productc...5&idcategory=0

The mounting system it uses is ********, but once mounted it works GREAT.
Originally Posted by croscoe
I have a Sprintech drop bar mirror. I like it.

https://aebike.com/page.cfm?PageID=30...ils&sku=MI2000
Originally Posted by genec
On my commuter, I use a mirrycle https://www.mirrycle.com/main_mirrors.htm
Old 07-24-08, 12:51 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Take-A-Look

Very well made -- glass and metal, not plastic.

I consider it more valuable than my helmet as regards my safety when commuting.
Old 07-24-08, 01:24 PM
L T X B O M P F A N S R

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe, Bianchi San Jose, Redline 925

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
When I first started commuting, I decided it would be a good idea to get a mirror. I never did get around to it though, and now I'm just used to not having one. I think just turning works out mostly fine, though I read a post on BF that I thought made sense. Someone said that it makes checking the traffic behind you easier without possibly making a motorist think you're going to turn, or switch lanes. That over the shoulder look is a strong visual cue to motorists that you're going to change position, but sometimes you just want to see what's behind you. A mirror would be very good in this instance.

That said, I still don't think I'm going to get one.
Old 07-24-08, 01:29 PM

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Liked 340 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by westsam
If so what king do you use and recommend?
Boeing 737
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
mirror3.jpg (51.7 KB, 46 views)
Wait, what was I doing?

Bikes: '04 Haro Escape 8.1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Love mine. Allows me to be aware of more at once. Turning my head constantly takes my eyes off the prize.

Of course, just like the mirrors in the car, I am well aware there is a blind spot and always look before changing course, but it is nice to forecast what is coming up behind me!

I have a bar-end Mirrycle, and it seems to be pretty tough.

Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium

Liked 24 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Jay.Money
+1

These are what I use. Work well, are cheap & don't seem to break that easy. I've parked my bike in high traffic areas, come out to find the mirrors "readjusted", but never broken. Actually, I think I got mine for $5 a piece.
This is the one I have. After about a year, It got loose, so I fixed it with some CA (Superglue) Good for the price, but next time will probably go with a sturdier one. Love my CatEye head light. Real bright on only two C cells.
Old 07-24-08, 01:47 PM

Bikes: riders:Schwinn Continental ('80), Specialized Crossroads Sport ('07), Schwinn Super Sport (73), Schwinn Superior (76), Projects: Schwinn Sprint ('74), Trek 800 & Schwinn Continental ('71)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Use Mirrycle Bar end Mirror on Hybrid. Was not aware of the Original version for drop down bars!

For drops have the CatEye version mounted to tube end, but often need to move arm for good view.

Have also used version that fastens over grips, with velcro strap, too much vibration for good view, so utilized the Mirrycle style on recommendation of friends. These swivel end and can be titled easily to avoid storage mishaps as well.
Old 07-24-08, 01:53 PM
Commuter First

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SlimAgainSoon
Take-A-Look. I consider it more valuable than my helmet as regards my safety when commuting.
Well said. I will be quoting you incessantly.
Old 07-24-08, 04:48 PM
YAT-YAS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2_i
Boeing 737
Is that where you got that mirror? From an Aeroplane?
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently and die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert A. Heinlein
Old 07-24-08, 05:07 PM

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Originally Posted by devildogmech
Is that where you got that mirror? From an Aeroplane?
I've got it as a surplus mirror on Ebay. It has performed very well and I've got few more there since as spares. In the meantime, while flying, I realized that it is a corner mirror from 737, for a flight attendant to see from the entrance whether there is someone in the corridor and the other way around. It is 5"x4" glass convex, in an alu frame, with ball mount.
Old 07-24-08, 05:14 PM
YAT-YAS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cool.... a little hard to buy on EBAY, but cool....

Any practical solutions for Trekking bars?
Old 07-24-08, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by devildogmech
Cool.... a little hard to buy on EBAY, but cool....

Any practical solutions for Trekking bars?
It is actually mounted on touring bars. I have used a piece of old damaged bars, that points forward, combined with pieces from discounted aero bars. The pile-up of pieces is a bit clumsy, but gives a decent flexibility. I tried to bend some tubes of handlebar diameter, to match aero-bar clamps, but my bending efforts were not very successful. Thus, I have resorted to cutting the ready pieces.

Last edited by 2_i; 07-24-08 at 10:32 PM.
Old 07-24-08, 09:57 PM
stringbreaker

Bikes: specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I use the sprintech on two of my bikes and I have the take a look which I use with all my bikes even the ones that have mirrors attached. Just like blinky lights I don't think you can have too many

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.