Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

What type of bike do you ride?

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.
View Poll Results: What's your Clyde-Ride?
Mountain Bike
30.94%
Hybrid Bike
15.35%
Comfort Bike
3.96%
Road Bike
58.17%
Recumbent Bike
3.47%
Other (please describe)
11.14%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 404. You may not vote on this poll

What type of bike do you ride?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-06, 02:09 PM

Bikes: Lots

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mountain Bike - Enduro SX Trail (6.6" rear travel, 6" fork)
SS Mountain Bike - Steel Nashbar frame built with Psylo fork
Cyclocross - Bianchi Axis (mostly stock)
24" BMX - Schwinn AL. Cruiser (beater bike)
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW, What a Ride!" - unknown
"Your Bike Sucks" - Sky Yaeger
Old 09-15-06, 02:58 PM
Perma-Clyde

Bikes: Trek Hybrid 7200

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hybrid, but all of my time is spent on the road. I dare not challenge a hole in the ground.
Old 09-15-06, 03:06 PM

Bikes: Cannondale T800, Cannondale ST400, Trek 520

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bikes

I ride mostly my Cannondale T800, once a month I take out my Fuji Royale.

Trek 930
1988 Cannondale ST400
Old 09-15-06, 03:10 PM
SERENITY NOW!!!

Bikes: Haro Vector, IRO Rob Roy, Bianchi Veloce

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A FG/SS cyclocross bike. Also have a mtb and a roadie.

Originally Posted by Viggen Ed
But I'm looking for an old road frame to convert to fixed. Maybe an mtb would work better for what I want but definately a fixie... I'll know the bike when I find it; it looks like so much fun! I wanna ride backwards...
They are fun and you don't need a mtb. I ride an IRO Rob Roy fixed gear cross bike and fully loaded for commuting I'm pushing 250-260. You just need some good, well built wheels. In my case, 32h Deep V's. I think they come in 36h drillings too.

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!
Old 09-15-06, 06:43 PM
Velorution

Bikes: Bareknuckle, IRO, Bianchi Pista concept 2003

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bareknuckle track bike
iro track bike
03 bianchi pista concept track bike
sooo basically i only ride track
Old 09-15-06, 08:36 PM
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
Vintage Raleigh Pursuit Road Bike from 1988 here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
COPY_RALEIGH.jpg (68.5 KB, 35 views)

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 09-15-06, 10:31 PM
Craig A. Lebowitz

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520 | 2002 Specialized Hardrock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1980 54cm Miyata seven ten road bike
~1980's 54cm unknown Fuji fixed gear
Old 09-16-06, 12:31 AM
Clydesdale

Bikes: 2002 Bianchi Bergamo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2002 Bianchi Bergamo Hybrid

As you can see from the picture, I changed the saddle, the pedals, the tires, and added bar ends. I also just recently had my rear wheel relaced with stiffer spokes, and asked them to leave off the blue dork disc. (started popping spokes after about 1200 miles on those wheels)

Note: the top bars of the rear triangle do not curve much at all. Just bad close-up photography with a wide-angle lens.
Old 09-16-06, 12:41 AM
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Liked 2,937 Times in 1,230 Posts
Road bikes. All of 'em steel. Latest and most favoritest is a 1967 Paramount P-15 mostly built up with various parts from Rivendell. Also have a 2000 Lemond Zurich frame built up with miscellaneous parts that I ride a fair amount. My Burley tandem is on extended loan to my usual stoker so he can ride with his 8 year old son. I also have a 1994 Trek 520 that I use for loaded touring, which I haven't done in a few years (need to fix that). All great fun, but that Paramount is something special.

I have nothing against mountain bikes,they just never have floated my boat for some reason.
Old 09-16-06, 02:47 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Bikes: Varies by day

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
OK - obviously, the majority of us ride road bikes, with MTBs and various "other" models coming in third. Having ridden road bikes, a fixed-gear, recumbents, tourers, and hybrids, I now stomp a MTB. Since I'm in an urban environment with serious concrete problems, the MTB's "roll over anything" ability is a plus for me. I keep a second set of road wheels for the MTB for weekend distance rides. I average 100 to 150 miles per week. Until I lose another 50 lbs., the MTB will be my sole ride. After that, anything goes!
Old 09-16-06, 07:00 PM
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by FarHorizon
OK - obviously, the majority of us ride road bikes, with MTBs and various "other" models coming in third. Having ridden road bikes, a fixed-gear, recumbents, tourers, and hybrids, I now stomp a MTB. Since I'm in an urban environment with serious concrete problems, the MTB's "roll over anything" ability is a plus for me. I keep a second set of road wheels for the MTB for weekend distance rides. I average 100 to 150 miles per week. Until I lose another 50 lbs., the MTB will be my sole ride. After that, anything goes!
When you get a roadie....do look for a vintage steel alloy frame! Lug construction is best. I put several thousand miles on the bike this Summer, and absolutely love my old Raleigh! Simplicity in motion with friction shift and don't have to spend $40-50.00 a tire and run 32mm wide rubber.

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 09-17-06, 06:32 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Giant Boulder SE that I've put nearly 1000 miles on, mostly on the road, I know it's a mountain bike but I wanted something durable. Next spring I'm upgrading to a road bike.
Old 09-17-06, 12:19 PM
Dolce far niente

Liked 23 Times in 18 Posts
I've got two main road bikes - a modern 2005 Giant OCR Limited, and a vintage 1975 Mondia Super. I love them both.

The Giant:

The Mondia:

Me with Giant, atop Mt Diablo:

Me, with Mondia, touring the Sacramento Delta:

S. J. Perelman
Old 09-17-06, 12:39 PM
Take Your Lane

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rans Rocket:
No pain...
Hey, no pain!
Old 09-17-06, 02:07 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have two Mountain:
2000 Raleigh M80
2003 Trek Liquid 10

And I just got into road biking a few weeks ago and I am really enjoying it so far.
2006 Cannondale R800

David
Old 09-17-06, 02:21 PM
Love to ride!

Bikes: 2010 Allegra 2X

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One, that I am riding, A Cannondale R800. Two hanging in the shop for restore work.
Old 09-17-06, 03:34 PM

Location: Beaufort, South Carolina, USA and surrounding islands.

Bikes: Cannondale R500, Motobecane Messenger

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
BTW:
Old 09-17-06, 08:14 PM

Bikes: Pacific Duece AL with mods

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have and ride all kinds except road bikes and bmx. I've broken too many BMX bikes and I haven't found a road bike I was comfortable on since I lost mine to a Bonneville when I was 15. I just retired my old Pacific full suspension MTB with ape hangers, seat post mounted rack and many other goofy looking things to make it unique, comfortable and very very heavy as my commuter/all purpose bike. (I don't recomend ape hangers for steep hills on trails in the woods) Now I ride an older Trek antelope 800 with BioPace everyday that will eventually have almost as much "useless crap" as my old one.
Old 09-17-06, 08:19 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
on a burley hepcat for a few more days the sucker is a real dog for some reason. getting a gold rush this week they the fastest bicycle in the world (G)
Old 09-17-06, 08:57 PM
One Tough Cookie.

Bikes: Too many and not ENOUGH!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What kind of bike(s) should a Clydesdale ride? In two words: Whatever works.

The caveat here: Make sure you have good wheels! That seems to be the sticking point. No wheels, no bike. I have had no problem with frame materials, and never have had a frame fail on me, and I have run everything from a Bianchi "Pista" to multi-speed cruisers, and even an old Belgian-made mixte frame, steel (lugged and TIG-welded) and aluminum. from around 20# to close to 40#, unloaded. (I cannot afford ti or carbon composite...yet.). Almost all components--even the less-expensive stuff--also hold up well.

However, this year, I have had two wheels fail...one just last week, both road bikes or light hybrids: Broken spokes. I also had this happen on another bike in the past, and it was virtually brand new. My LBS does true and tension wheels properly before sale, too...that was not the problem. The big irony? Those wheels have at least 32 spokes...I have a Specialized Sequoia with "trick" wheels, and it never has had wheel problems. Ditto with cruisers or mountain bikes...never a problem.

I suspect the quality of the spokes in those failed wheels was less than satisfactory, and therein was the weak spot that caused the failures. (I am sorry, but wheels that last less that 1,500 miles don't cut it with me.) Since I do carry cargo on most of my bikes, and I am definetly "Clydesdale" weight ("Athena" is way too skinny!), and the failures were both rear wheels, I suspect that weight contributed to the problems.

My discussion board, another resource for the "utility" and commuter cyclist: "Two Wheeled Commuter: The Everyday Cyclist"
Old 09-18-06, 11:46 AM

Bikes: GT Edge for the road/Specialized Hopper (well the frame and the bb, everything else is new) for the dirt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Road-'00 GT Edge Aero, Al frame/kinesis Al fork I built it up with :
  • a mix of 105 and ultegra
  • Salsa Bell Lap cyclocross bar because it si the widest bar I could find)
  • Ultegra hubs and Mavic Open Pro 36 spoke wheels
  • Conti GP4000 25cc tires
  • Specialized Body Geo saddle
  • Shimano SPD peddals
If I had it to do over again, I'd get something a little more gentle...

Dirt-'96 Specialized Rockhopper Comp
  • the only stock parts are the bottom bracket, the headset, the brake handle on the left and the brake and shifter on the right.

I went from MTB to roadie because I moved to NYC.
Old 09-18-06, 12:11 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Trek 1000, Speedplay X5 pedals, Bontrager RaceLite Hardcase tires. So far, stock wheels have been fine. I'm 6'1", 240 (down from 264 two months ago).
Old 09-18-06, 01:02 PM
Roadmaster.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jyossarian
They are fun and you don't need a mtb. I ride an IRO Rob Roy fixed gear cross bike and fully loaded for commuting I'm pushing 250-260. You just need some good, well built wheels. In my case, 32h Deep V's. I think they come in 36h drillings too.
Cool! I'll keep my eyes open for either. I always thought road bikes, especially modern ones, look so cool and fast. I just didnt want to stick my butt in the air while I rode in the drops..

But now that I've gotten a better feel for the drivers here, I think I'd rather be waving my butt in the air at them. It definately expresses the way I feel about their driving, if you could call it that.
Old 09-19-06, 05:43 AM
J E R S E Y S B E S T

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 80's road frame thats a fix geared now, 48/16 gearing
Old 09-19-06, 10:13 AM

Bikes: Bianchi Milano Nexus 8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I was over 200#, a hardtail mountain bike with 1.8" street tires.

I'm using a touring bike now that I'm under 185. I switched to drop bars because my belly is no longer in my way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.