Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

105 2x vs GRX 1x

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-20, 03:50 PM

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Fargo 1x12, 2019 Jamis Renegade Exploit 1x11. Motobacne NX Fat Tire

Liked 332 Times in 170 Posts
Love 1x11 and got a 36t up front with an 11-42t in back.
Likes For Toadmeister:
Old 04-24-20, 08:13 AM
nothing to see here

Liked 145 Times in 78 Posts
There was an article I read recently on this same subject. The authors preferred set up was a 2x GRX drivetrain but using a 10-42 sram cassette. I like the subtle spacing differences on the sram cassette over the very similar 11-42 shimano.

I remember a few other guys around here that are running a wide range 2x set up. 46/30 chainset and an 11-42 rear using RX800 derailer. It seems to work great for their needs. It may need an entire shimano chain + a few more links depending on chainstay length to make it work though.

My city/touring bike has a 46/32 in front and an 11-42 in the rear. Its a flat bar bike so an M7000 SLX mid cage derailer in the rear handles the cassette just fine. After some tweaking with the B screw it shifts flawlessly and the climbing gear is just about perfect.

My current plan is to upgrade my Diverge to electronic shifting but haven't settled on 1x or 2x at this point. 1x would be a Sram Force/Eagle set up, the other would be a GRX 2x with the Sram 10-42 cassette. Really just depends on ergonomics and ride feel. Need to do a few demo rides before making a decision. I have a dedicated road bike so the Diverge is normally only ridden on pavement when riding to/from the trails.
Likes For Bryan C.:
Old 04-24-20, 08:27 AM

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Liked 1,030 Times in 498 Posts
Originally Posted by BluFalconActual
Specialized Sawtooths in the 42c variety, setup tubeless. Ive had them for almost a year now and have not gotten a single puncture (that I can tell). Theyre heavier than most choices but they have been completely bomb proof. The lack of knobbies has not been an issue either for the terrain I ride.
Thanks, I considered those tires, I have similar treads on other bikes and they work well.

FWIW, I recently chose 2x11 GRX 810 w 30/46 and 11-34. I like derailleurs and close gears
Old 04-27-20, 08:09 PM

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by fourfa
Loads of people are using 2x with 11-36 (I am one, on 46/30 crank). Some have gotten Shimano Ultegra RX and GRX to shift 11-40 stock, and more using a mount spacer like Roadlink. 10-42 might just be possible right at the limit of a mid-cage rear mech (ie GRX, RX800) with a roadlink, especially if you can tolerate a slack chain in the uncommon 30-10 combo. I don't think 11-46 and 2x will go even with a true long cage derailleur.

Keep in mind that in the gravel spectrum, there's a pretty big difference in total gearing between a 650x47 and 700x45. Make sure to include that in your math when you're looking at bikes.

FYI I'm coming from a primarily roadie background, and with 46-30, 11-tooth top gear, on 700-28 road tires, I spin out on very long solo descents where I also spun out my 50-34 road bike. I have gotten dropped from long group descents where I was unable to pull at the front. I'm routinely on 3000+ ft continuous descents around the SF Bay Area, so real mountains not just rolling hills.
How fast are you? I've raced for years, live in the bay area and rode most of the roads from Santa Cruz to Point Reyes and never spun out 50x11. I won a cat 3 race once solo into a tailwind descent without access to my 11 or 12. I have no problems sprinting to 47 into rollers on training rides. I've done 60 mph pedaling down 101 into San Luis Obispo drafting a truck. I think 50x11 is more than enough for any non-pro, BUT I was never the fastest guy. Best FTP ever was ~325 and usually hovered closer to 300. Also I'm not super aero. So perhaps one of the long-legged TT type guys could spin out.

Originally Posted by rosefarts
I have 1x on my gravel bike and would never go 2x. I also have a dedicated road bike so I'm not worried about it as a roadie.

I run 11-42 with 40t. This is pretty common. Very occasionally, like tailwind pavement run home after the dusty stuff, I'll run out of gears but just barely. It's never happened off pavement. I do sometimes want just a wee bit more uphill. Not much, just a little.

The solution is not GRX. Well, the shifters and rear derailleur but nothing else. I really think 38t with 10-42 would be a perfect set up. That means a sram XD freehub. Pretty sure GRX can't fit 38t either. This would be a sweetheart of a Frankenstein.

Depending on your budget, Sram electric shifters are cross compatible within the brand. In theory you could get Force shifters and Eagle 1x12, that's 10-50! But you've got to go electric to make it work.
I just bought my first gravel bike with 42T x 10-42 with the idea of switching to a 40T. I'll probably give it a few hundred miles before I know what I want but was concerned 38 or 40 might not give me enough top speed for all the road I'll be riding to get to and from trails. But really it would likely only impact sprints and I probably don't need to be sprinting into a tailwind on a gravel bike, right?
Old 04-27-20, 09:00 PM

Liked 51 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by aaronmcd
How fast are you? I've raced for years, live in the bay area and rode most of the roads from Santa Cruz to Point Reyes and never spun out 50x11. I won a cat 3 race once solo into a tailwind descent without access to my 11 or 12. I have no problems sprinting to 47 into rollers on training rides. I've done 60 mph pedaling down 101 into San Luis Obispo drafting a truck. I think 50x11 is more than enough for any non-pro, BUT I was never the fastest guy. Best FTP ever was ~325 and usually hovered closer to 300. Also I'm not super aero. So perhaps one of the long-legged TT type guys could spin out.
Not fast, never raced. But coasting down Hwy9 approaching Saratoga (nice banked curves, clean pavement, low traffic, long sightlines) every time. Calculator says 120rpm at 50/11 on 700x25 is 43mph, and I usually hit 45 or more just coasting vOv Agreed 50x11 is usually more than enough but more to the point, on similar roads with my current 46-11 big gear, if there's a group of people pulling fast they'll just walk away from me as I spin my 120rpm max. I still find 46/30 the best combo for my dual-purpose groadie, but if I could get a OEM-quality 10-32 for my road wheels, I'd get it in a second
Old 04-29-20, 04:50 PM

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Liked 2,211 Times in 1,254 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
Agree 100%.

This is also terrain dependent. 1x is a lot easier to live with in flat areas. If my rides included long climbs or descents I'd definitely want 2x, but on flat roads I'm rarely spinning out on a 42T 11-32 1x setup. The only time I feel out of gears is in fast group rides, where I don't really want to be on my CX bike anyway.
I found this statement interesting as I have a completely different different opinion that on flat, a tight cluster is a big advantage. I ride predominately on Long Island, NY, so almost as flat as Florida or Delaware. I have always found having 1 tooth jumps on the rear more useful as I can maintain a steady cadence, especially when it's windy (a lot). In this scenario a 2X gives me the range I need for the many short but steep hills, than I;m back to the one tooth jumps for the flats. My road bike has a 50/34 with a 14-28 Junior cassette as it gives me good range. I'm not racing, rarely hit 26 on a flat and can coast down our few hills at 35-40. Thus I'm not changing my gravel gearing, indeed my road wheels for that bike have a 46/30 and 12-25 11 spd.rear.
Old 04-30-20, 04:29 AM
Gravel Rocks

Bikes: Trek Domane and Crockett, BH G7, Niner RLT9, RLT9 RDO

Liked 38 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
I found this statement interesting as I have a completely different different opinion that on flat, a tight cluster is a big advantage. I ride predominately on Long Island, NY, so almost as flat as Florida or Delaware. I have always found having 1 tooth jumps on the rear more useful as I can maintain a steady cadence, especially when it's windy (a lot). In this scenario a 2X gives me the range I need for the many short but steep hills, than I;m back to the one tooth jumps for the flats. My road bike has a 50/34 with a 14-28 Junior cassette as it gives me good range. I'm not racing, rarely hit 26 on a flat and can coast down our few hills at 35-40. Thus I'm not changing my gravel gearing, indeed my road wheels for that bike have a 46/30 and 12-25 11 spd.rear.
Agreed, I run an 11/23 on my gravel bike for flat roads and an 11/36 for gravel with steep climbs - 50/34 front for both.