Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Strava kudos question. ..

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Strava kudos question. ..

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-17, 12:39 AM

Liked 4,677 Times in 3,459 Posts
Originally Posted by smarkinson
Why do you need followers? Because then some savvy clothing/bike part company will give you free stuff which you can post a picture of on Strava in return. Free advertising for the company, free stuff for the Strava player with lots of followers.
That must be my problem.
No free stuff.
Only offers for me to BUY a Strava membership.

But,
I want to be able to see my "friends" rides, not have them get buried into the noise.
Old 03-21-17, 04:25 AM

Bikes: Trek 4.0 Domane

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for responding. I had only asked to see what the deal was. I have a better understanding now.
I have this one guy from Guyana he goes by Jim Jones. He has asked me to follow him for some time now. He has promised me there is great facilities there with great people running them.
I recently joined the Strava club and think this may be the opening. I belong to a couple of local bike clubs too. I went on and accepted the random followers to see what there is to see.
I myself enjoy others pictures of their rides. It gives one a bigger picture of this cycling world.
Old 03-21-17, 04:38 AM
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by netman9718
Thanks for responding. I had only asked to see what the deal was. I have a better understanding now.
I have this one guy from Guyana he goes by Jim Jones. He has asked me to follow him for some time now. He has promised me there is great facilities there with great people running them.
Nice! He's a pretty big deal in the Guyana cycling scene. Great motivator for new riders. They have a grape flavored recovery drink that people rave about. Good luck!
Old 03-21-17, 05:39 PM
Kit doesn't match

Bikes: 5

Liked 27 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan333SP
They have a grape flavored recovery drink that people rave about.
Once.
Old 03-22-17, 02:42 PM

Bikes: 1988 Cannondale Criterium SR500

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CliffordK
I want to be able to see my "friends" rides, not have them get buried into the noise.
I have about 600 followers, I follow about 600 people, and I am in about 80 clubs. I really enjoy seeing the photos around the world of people's rides. I created a club for the people that I actually ride with so I can be sure not to miss their rides. Now we use the club to actually plan some rides together. It's a nice function to clean up the home screen when it gets noisy.
Old 03-22-17, 02:55 PM
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
To be honest, I don't even look at other people's rides in Strava, unless I go on a "social justice" hunting mission for rides done in a car based on suspicious segment times. I just use it to track rides for myself, and occasionally share cool photos from my rides. I also don't accept follow requests from people unless I've either ridden with them or "know" them from BF.
Old 03-22-17, 03:00 PM
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Liked 1,082 Times in 534 Posts
You should try Zwift. Guaranteed kudos from dozens of strangers, especially if you really droped the zHamer.
Double or triple if you're a women riding Zwift - IMHO that's creepy.
Old 03-22-17, 03:42 PM

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Liked 380 Times in 259 Posts
Originally Posted by smarkinson
... even though he really was a complete nobody.
What I did is had this Garmin connect account years/decades ago after I converted from Polar.
I used it for me. Was too lazy to setup one for my wife.
Then my daughter was born. I used it for her.
My son - I added him. And connected to Strava, VeloViewer, Training Peaks.

Now I have very many followers and some nice KOMs I didn't do.

But switching accounts and moving records is very hard to do. So I be a complete nobody with a mixed account.
Old 03-22-17, 03:45 PM

To be honest, I don't even look at other people's rides in Strava, unless I go on a "social justice" hunting mission for rides done in a car based on suspicious segment times. I just use it to track rides for myself, and occasionally share cool photos from my rides. I also don't accept follow requests from people unless I've either ridden with them or "know" them from BF.
You and Gaimon (who has digital doped segments) keeping Strava clean.
Old 03-22-17, 03:55 PM

Bikes: Roubaix SL4 Expert , Cervelo S2

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I actually freaked out a local Strava "legend" a few weeks back. He started chatting with me at a red light and I was like "hey, you're so-and-so" and he gave me a strange look since we had never met before. I explained that I recognized him from his profile pic and cycling club affiliation from Strava. The guy is in his 50's and all over the KOM leaderboards.

Last edited by Dunbar; 03-22-17 at 03:58 PM.
Old 03-22-17, 04:04 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
BTW, I get kudos from random people too. I think they use the flyby feature to look me up after a ride. It would be pretty easy for them to spot me on Strava using my profile picture.
Old 03-22-17, 04:29 PM

Bikes: Trek 4.0 Domane

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Strava profile picture is of my Airedale with her winter coat. Maybe that's why I get the followers.
I started accepting followers and now following riders all over the world and followed by them.
Some are easy on the eyes too.
Old 03-22-17, 04:58 PM

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Liked 139 Times in 90 Posts
Originally Posted by Dunbar
I actually freaked out a local Strava "legend" a few weeks back. He started chatting with me at a red light and I was like "hey, you're so-and-so" and he gave me a strange look since we had never met before. I explained that I recognized him from his profile pic and cycling club affiliation from Strava. The guy is in his 50's and all over the KOM leaderboards.
That's funny because I wonder how that would go down. I've recognized certain riders I follow, but don't want to come across all stalker-ish. I follow some of the fast local guys as motivation for myself even though I don't know them, but think it'd be kind of weird to just roll up on some guy and be all "hey you're Strava famous I know all about you!"
Old 03-22-17, 05:01 PM

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Originally Posted by Doge
You and Gaimon (who has digital doped segments) keeping Strava clean.
Well, Gaimon is trying to take a lot of KOM's from a pharma doper, so I guess turnabout is fair play!
Old 03-22-17, 05:33 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Liked 65 Times in 32 Posts
I don't get emails from friends anymore from Strava and I contacted Strava about it. They said they can't fix the problem and they are doing away with the feature. I don't know if anyone else is having this problem, but I've been dealing with it for a few months now.
Old 03-22-17, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by cthenn
Well, Gaimon is trying to take a lot of KOM's from a pharma doper, so I guess turnabout is fair play!
Well it isn't really. That Gaimon digital doping segment is gone now - but I have pictures.
Unearned results are just that. Strava has no rules, but kinda ironic his result is different than what he earned.
He went about accusing Horner. Then Horner got his ride flagged the day Gaimon did an attempt - Gaimon gets the KOM even though he never really got the KOM. Tells me he's on the "its not cheating if you don't have an unfair advantage" page too. Its just Strava.

Last edited by Doge; 03-22-17 at 07:13 PM.
Old 03-22-17, 07:23 PM

Bikes: SS EVO Dura-Ace Di2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you are in any Strava clubs, there is a separate feed for each club's members. People from these clubs are probably seeing your rides in their club ride feeds and giving you kudos.
Old 03-22-17, 09:00 PM
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Dunbar
Oh, that was you?
Old 03-22-17, 09:01 PM
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by f4rrest
Oh, that was you?
J/k
Old 03-22-17, 09:05 PM

Here it is. That KOM was never a KOM.
It was obtained by flagging the riders above his. It is a false record of what happened/digital doping.
Old 03-22-17, 10:31 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That's funny because I wonder how that would go down.
He actually started the conversation so I felt less weird. Plus it was a long red light so we were talking for a while before brought it up. This guy is very active in the club ride scene so he's pretty well known by many of the local riders.
Old 03-23-17, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Doge
Here it is. That KOM was never a KOM.
It was obtained by flagging the riders above his. It is a false record of what happened/digital doping.
The guys above him were legit? I know he's going after a lot of KOM's of that Thorfinn Sassquatch guy who is/was a doper and drug peddler. I mean Gaimon was a pretty decent pro rider, so if anyone is outclimbing him for that length of time, that would seem fishy to me.
Old 03-23-17, 04:39 PM

The guys above him were legit? I know he's going after a lot of KOM's of that Thorfinn Sassquatch guy who is/was a doper and drug peddler. I mean Gaimon was a pretty decent pro rider, so if anyone is outclimbing him for that length of time, that would seem fishy to me.
Yes. It was Chris Horner set June 24, 2012 - the last American Grand Tour winner, never been busted for anything. Gaiman said "I think he got away with stuff".
The day Gaimon's ride was uploaded Horner's KOM was flagged - first, so Gaimon got the KOM. I'm guessing this was all a "joke" but it is messing with the real record and that is digital doping. I think it is classless. As classless as a pro accusing another pro of getting away with something and not saying what it was.

Strava has stated doping is not an issue. Yet Gaimon, decided it was one. But had (the segment is down now) no issue taking a KOM he never earned.

No Gaimon was not a decent pro rider. US teens can beat him (last year's 18 year old 2nd to his 77 in Tour of Utah). To me his attitude was/is - then they must be on something. I believe he is a clean rider. But I believe lots that beat him are too.

For the record.

https://www.procyclingstats.com/rider.php?id=129882
Old 03-23-17, 05:02 PM
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Liked 1,613 Times in 1,061 Posts
I guess worthy of a question.. allowing followers or providing kudos back to folks, etc.. how much personal info could Strava divulge to those seeking to perform identity theft?
Old 03-23-17, 05:21 PM
NYC

Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
I guess worthy of a question.. allowing followers or providing kudos back to folks, etc.. how much personal info could Strava divulge to those seeking to perform identity theft?
If you ride out your front door or your office door, just set a privacy radius around each location.

Of course you'll have to give up the KOM on your own driveway, so there is that tradeoff ;-)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.