Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

What tent?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

What tent?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-17, 10:25 AM
Real Men Ride Ordinaries

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
REI quarter dome 1 is on sale for $170, https://www.rei.com/product/862421/r...er-dome-1-tent

It gets good reviews and REI has a heck of a return policy. Nice size and good weight.
I've used a Quarter Dome for about five years, it easily has at least 100 nights in it, probably closer to 200, and it's just starting to show a bit of wear. It's an entirely different model than the one being offered, but mine is pretty stellar for the price.

It's reasonably affordable, well built, reasonably light weight and my two person can actually fit two people, and is a palace for one. The new one only looks better.

It's not without downsides; it could be lighter, it could be cheaper, it doesn't really pitch dry, which can be a bit of a drag.

I've also used a flat silnylon tarp, which is a great solution for some conditions. Extremely light, flexible and protective. Bug protection can be added if you need, and removed if you don't, provides only the shelter you need, and lets you have great views the rest of the time.
Old 01-11-17, 10:28 AM
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just for the heck of it look at Zpacks tents, particularly the Duplex. Very expensive, very light. Beyond a doubt Hilleberg is a great tent, particularly if you need a 4 season.
Old 01-11-17, 02:41 PM

Bikes: Cannondale Topstone gravel bike Dahon MU folder w/2x8 speed internal drive train

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Trentkln27
I just want to know I have a good tent on tour
Looking at the Lynx it appears to use good quality materials. Not ultra light but sturdy 70d PU coated polyester. I particularly like the 8mm zippers. Many top name tents use 5mm or less with attendent shorter life span.
The Lynx 1 is set up for a right hand sleeping bag zipper. Not a deal breaker if you have a left side sleeping bag but it adds hassle getting in and out of in the middle of the night. If you haven’t purchased a sleeping bag, it might be wise to get it first and pick your tent to match it.

It only has 36 inches of head room, which is a deal breaker for me at 6 ft 2. And if you are much over 6 ft you are probably going to find your head touching the tent wall, which I find irritating when trying to sleep. With the Lynx 2 you can sleep diagonally for more length.

- Gordon Hempton: One Square inch of Silence
Old 01-11-17, 06:11 PM
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Fuji Jari

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sexy cyclist
This is true, height is definitely limited. I prop myself up on an elbow to read at night, otherwise I pretty much use it solely for sleeping. I often pitch my tent next to something I can use to sit on if I want, if not I pack up and bike until I find a good place to take an early morning break. For example here I camped at some baseball fields. Ate dinner at some covered picnic tables, as well as breakfast the next morning:

If you're looking for a tent you can hang out in for hours after waking, the solitaire is most likely not for you. If you want something that will let you comfortably sleep and not weigh you down excessively during the day, its great.

I wonder if they changed something in the pole construction? If anyone wants I could post my decade old poles that are still going strong so they can compare them to theirs.
These are the poles from mine. Snapped it pretty quick as I was returning it to Dick's.

Old 01-11-17, 11:11 PM

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Western Flyer
Not ultra light but sturdy
Weight isn't really an issue unless the tent is extremely heavy for its size. I usually pack about 20 lbs or less for ragbrai. So that plus food and camping cookware should leave me at around 50 pounds of gear or less
Old 01-12-17, 11:09 AM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Liked 1,363 Times in 868 Posts
Black Diamond megalight (lighter version of Megamid) + their inner Mozzynet + floor ..

Golight offers theirs, hexagonal floor, vs Square floor..

more floor space , single center pole..
Old 01-12-17, 03:34 PM
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Weight is an issue for many people, packed size for some folks as well. Think about the bikepackers in particular.

Last edited by Squeezebox; 01-12-17 at 03:42 PM.
Old 01-12-17, 03:39 PM

Bikes: Trek 5200, Rivendell Atlantis, Soma DoubleCross, Bilenky Signature tandem, Cannondale RT3000 tandem, Santa Cruz TallBoy, Kona Explosif, Bridgestone MB2

Liked 165 Times in 90 Posts
Here is a pic of an REI QuarterDome T2 I've had for years. It's been pretty good to me. I prefer to carry a 2 man for the extra room. No leaks, good protection in storms, not much condensation in winter, fairly light, seems pretty rugged. It has weathered some decent storms, and once a mountain goat got tangled in a guy line, tripped and fell onto the tent, and my head. No damage to goat, tent or head. Not the goat in the pic; those 2 were well behaved.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCN3885.jpg (21.9 KB, 126 views)
Old 01-12-17, 05:03 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Liked 1,363 Times in 868 Posts
Read the Backpackers Magazine for their revues.. you can probably find years of back issues at the Library.
Old 01-12-17, 08:29 PM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Liked 297 Times in 202 Posts
For what it is worth, I used a REI quarterdome T2 plus cycling across Africa with TDA. The zippers stopped working well after a sandstorm in Sudan - but otherwise it did the job. I retired that tent after that trip.

I bought a new REI quarterdome T2 plus for my current ride across the Americas and it is still doing fine.

The "plus" aspect was just slightly larger dimensions and may have been discontinued. What I like about the tents has been (1) two doors (2) reasonable head room (3) free standing (4) not extremely heavy.
Old 01-12-17, 09:32 PM
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Somebody mentioned Big Agnes. I think my Copper Spur 2 is great. But I hear they measure floor size by where the pegs are, not the interior dimensions of the tent. I have not checked this out personally, but I should. Be warned for accurate info.
Old 01-15-17, 11:49 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lunar solo

I have a Lunar Solo SE that I like a lot. It took several setups to get the hang of it, but it's a reasonably priced sub two pound tent.
Old 01-22-17, 06:42 PM

Bikes: 2008 Jamis Aurora; 2013 Surly Cross-Check

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Trentkln27
I'm looking for a decent prices tent that won't weigh to much. I'm really kicking around buying the Alps mountaineering lynx one or lynx 2 because the realativly cheap and seem to be good qaulity. Would these work well for touring or are the other tents that are nicer without costing much more. I just want to know I have a good tent on tour
Trentkln27 says she/he will lounge a lot in the tent; for lounging as well as sleeping, hammock camping is extremely comfortable. At the end of a touring day my favorite activity is to hang the hammock, chill out with my feet & head up high (which helps purge lactic acid) & read a book for 2 or 3 hours.

The right hammocks “won’t weigh to much” either, & can be “relatively cheap” & have “good quality.”

On the other hand, Trentkln27 mentions RAGBRAI; if most tours are taken in the US MidWest then obviously hammocks are less convenient because trees can be difficult to find in several MidWest states.