Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Best App or Device to track cycling??

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Best App or Device to track cycling??

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-16, 08:43 AM

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by jgwilliams
Thanks for that info. I have a Lumia myself (and I love it) so I'll give it a go.
Only real drawback is the Strava feature was an add-on if you need it, but for as much use as I get out of it I'm not too worried about $3. That, and the app does goofy things when you try to use the camera when it is running, so if you stop and take pics, best to pause the track and resume when you get moving again.
Old 11-02-16, 09:12 AM

Bikes: 2006 Trek Pilot 1.2, 1972 Schwinn SS

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I use mapmyride and that seems to work pretty well using the GPS.
Old 11-02-16, 09:29 AM

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Strava. How is anyone NOT using Strava? It's only shortcoming is a lack of turn by turn directions. Maybe one day, maybe one day
Old 11-02-16, 07:06 PM

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by bmthom.gis
Strava. How is anyone NOT using Strava? It's only shortcoming is a lack of turn by turn directions. Maybe one day, maybe one day
Because there are other apps out there that put the Strava app to shame. They also automatically upload to Strava so you don't need the Strava app to post your rides on Strava.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 11-02-16, 08:08 PM

Bikes: Trek Crossrip 3 2018, Trek FX 7.4 2016

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ghostracer on Android...syncs with Strava. Customizable display with tons of data fields. Plus you can race against Strava segment runs.
Old 11-03-16, 11:39 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think the right move is to get a Garmin and use the Garmin Connect which automatically syncs and uploads your ride data once you have "ended" your ride. All the necessary data is collected and stored. I use a Mio heart-rate monitor and its syncs nicely with the Garmin.

Then, if you want, it can sync to a Strava account (which is done automatically once linked). I have family and friends peppered along the east coast and I very much enjoyed being able to track their rides, statistics, photos and receive their support.

If social media is not for you, the Garmin Connect app on the phone provides more then enough data (in a readable layout) then you will really even need.

Aside from the social media aspect, I like the detailed information about the segments you ride in Strava. It really breaks down the data for you to digest and adjust. The "public" nature of Strava can be either a bane or a benefit. I like seeing others' times on the same segments I ride. I like the encouragement I get as others see my development and fitness improve over time, such as the spring time or maintaining fitness throughout the winter.

If it is all about the Benjamin's, then download Strava and simply "record" you rides. It won't be as accurate and unless you pay out the "premium member" fee you won't get all the details, but it is enough to get you indoctrinated into the eco-system. From there, you can make your next data-monitoring-collection related decisions intelligently and well informed....

Good Luck -
Old 11-03-16, 07:32 PM
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Liked 2,807 Times in 1,803 Posts
Tried Runtastic this week. Didn't like it at all. Deleted it.

For one thing, it requires too many permissions -- Facebook and email info. I don't need a bicycling recording app to post to social media or compare with other riders. I'm slow and only interested in comparing rides and segments of rides with my own previous rides. It demanded full time tracking, even when not in use to record rides, or none at all. That's a ridiculously intrusive app.

For another, it was non-intuitive and didn't readily show ride segments. Too long a wait for the splash screen, too many popups and ads in the free trial version. Possibly the most annoying of all the cycling apps I've tried yet.

Wahoo Fitness is the simplest, quickest and least intrusive of the free apps. No lengthy splash screens or ad popups. Runs without any data plan, just based on my iPhone 4s GPS. Auto pause and resume. Runs reliably even if I leave the app to use the camera or consult OSM and Maps. It can transfer data to the iPhone's fitness app.

Only drawbacks I've noticed after several months of regular use: It doesn't readily show segments within a ride, only total rides; it doesn't interface with Facebook, even if I wanted to share that info; it's fairly low resource and usually doesn't drain the battery, although there have been a few occasions when the battery seems to drain faster than usual. and apparently Wahoo isn't updating the app. But it's free and works well for what it does.

Cyclemeter (iPhone only) is the next best of the freebie apps I've tried. The freebie trial version, which restricts access to some features, but isn't time limited, doesn't need a data plan, shows ride segments to compare performance within frequently ridden routes, and can be set to track only when the app is active (however the app will stop working when I leave the app to use the camera or maps). It's more thorough and full featured than Wahoo Fitness and I'll probably buy the full version. It also interfaces with Facebook and Strava if desired.

The free trial version of Cyclemeter does have a startup delay, and popup ads, but not nearly as annoying as Runtastic.

If I wanted to share ride info I'd use Strava. All my riding buddies use it. It's familiar, sort of the industry standard whether it's the best or not. Sometimes you just can't fight market impact.
Old 11-04-16, 05:09 AM
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Liked 1,566 Times in 1,028 Posts
Strava but with the Stravistix plug-in for extended stats is awesome on the computer (though I don't usually run Strava to record rides as garmin is doing this with Connect).

Last edited by Sy Reene; 11-04-16 at 05:13 AM.
Old 11-04-16, 05:32 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Since this came up, I installed Strava and tried it the last 2 days.

For me personally, I prefer Map my ride. I'm sure I would get used to it. I don't share any information, not on facebook, and I don't really talk to any other riders. (on here, but not in real life)

For Map my ride, I like it telling me my split times and split speeds. Strava didn't do that. I can also evaluate the ride, more in depth, with mapmyride.

I deleted Strava, but I'm glad I tried it. I'll just stick with my phone and Map my Ride. I would like a meter that tells cadence. I'll get that someday. Just to give me more input. Try to do better.
Old 11-04-16, 07:18 AM

Bikes: 2014 Giant Escape 1

Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
I personally like RidewithGPS. I like the route planning online (though I don't pay so I don't get it to my phone. I just like looking and coming up with routes to remember myself and see distances and routes that we plan during the week to ride on the weekends.)

I don't care about speed and beating other people I don't know.

What I do want is to show all my rides on one map. I can't do that exporting and entering into Googlemaps as it only takes 8 routes max. I can do it in Google Earth, but that is not online and I want it online. Strava heat map would do that, but I don't want to pay just for that feature.

I do use Strava just for one thing. I learned of it from someone's post in the road cycling section. If I am going on a ride with the small group I ride with, I run both RWGPS and Strava. From Strava through a linked site called Relive.cc, I get a video such as the following which I thought was pretty cool and I share it on Facebook and Meetup.com with the folks I ride with. I just haven't figured out how to get pictures linked in since I don't have data and it parses the ride before I can get pictures attached to it...

https://www.relive.cc/view/722568569
Old 11-04-16, 08:35 AM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Liked 1,360 Times in 866 Posts
I just used a highlighter on a paper map