Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Build a road bike from frame?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Build a road bike from frame?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-20, 12:30 PM

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Liked 3,076 Times in 1,659 Posts
Originally Posted by deacon mark
How long would it take a decent mechanic to build a road bike from the frame? Assuming rim brakes and all the parts in front you with a bare frame?

Groupset
bars, saddle, wheels (ready)
headset
Bottom Bracket
cables and housing as part of groupset

I don’t think missing anything and to me not difficult but time consuming.
I have never timed...last build I did a bit at a time....but one key thing is if you have the right tools..... i.e headset, if you have real headset press it does not take to long, if you macgyver it a lot longer. dumb things like having a good chain tool and having a quick link plier make a lot of time difference , at least for me, good cable cutters and crimpers, etc adjustments take time....for me frond derailler indexing takes way more time than rear.

Old 11-14-20, 12:55 PM
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Liked 4,294 Times in 2,864 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
Depends on the bike

Half an hour on each wheel build, probably only another half an hour into the rest of the build, maybe 45 min.

There's four and a half in this one with wheel building included, hydraulic brakes add a lot more time when they have to have hoses cut to length and be properly filled and bled. But Rock Lobster chased and faced everything.

Typically everything cable and a decent groupset, one and a half to two hours.
I would love to see more of that Havnoonian. Those things are awesome. The Rock Lobster is awesome as well but I see far fewer Havnoonians.

To build a bike from the frame up assuming you have the parts is generally between 1-6 hours-ish depending on the mechanic and how easy everything is to set up. It could potentially take longer if need be. The most important thing is doing it right.
Old 11-14-20, 01:30 PM

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Liked 187 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by vane171
I wonder about the OP motivation for asking. Did he question LBS pricing for the job? It makes a difference if you do it to make money from it or do it for yourself. In latter case, it depends if one is a pragmatic when it comes to bikes and and working on them, or loves bikes and working on them and so takes all the time to do the job as best he can, and even prolonging it to prolong the enjoyment of it (I fall into this category) ... I mean, without revealing the motivation behind such post, he can't get the answers he may be after.
I just wanted to know from good mechanics, I am fully capable of building a bike from the bare frame. I can build wheels too but I just was wondering because I did not take my Habanero to the bare frame but need to install a new headset. In the process I decided to do a thorough cleaning of things and got to thinking how long would it take to build this bike up if I just had all the parts off the bike. For myself I could hurry and get it in about 2 hours. My problem is I am a bit OCD and would have to make sure everything is right on target. Getting the cables and housing on cut to length can take some time. Then dialing everything in so that it shifts perfect and brakes are set correct, that would require a test ride more than 2 for me. This bike has a BSA threaded bottom bracket as most Ti would and that is much less fuss. The headset is the same deal external cups and press them in not difficult.

My other motivation is that I repair guitars for a living and of course play them ( jazz guitarist at heart) and I was going to compare labor times and prices of my guitar repair. So for instances I dress a guitars frets, and set it all back up that takes me about 2 hours start to finish. I charge $110 for a fret dressing. If I re- fret a guitar depending on the guitar but most all the same, I charge at least $275 but it can go higher. To me in comparison working on a bike is much less complicated because they are not as fragile as guitars. Bikes are also less complicated and things cannot go at least too far ugly. On a guitar it is quite the opposite. If I am dressing frets on a vintage 1950 Gibson Super 400 I still get only about $125 for the fret job but the guitar is worth at least $7500 and any dropping, marks, or mistakes are a big no no.

I am going to venture to say the if I had the volume bike repair the mechanic work would pay better if that is all I did. Cost to repair a fine guitar can be pretty high even crazy high for some things. Bikes are just a piece of cake compared. I sort of wish in my retirement I was a bike mechanic I enjoy that. Probably more than you wanted to know.
Old 11-15-20, 10:45 AM

Bikes: TNTL (Too numerous to list)

Liked 147 Times in 115 Posts
My (sub-clinical) OCD would guarantee that I would spend a least a day and maybe an entire weekend on a "from scratch" build up!