Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Tour des Farms, NJ

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Tour des Farms, NJ

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-12, 07:38 AM

Bikes: '13 Giant Defy 1, '97 Cannondale M700

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very cool ride.. I thought about doing it this yr but it was to close to the Gran Fondo ride in Morristown on Sunday. NJ is a great place to live and ride; there are parts (like anywhere else) where you just want to close your eyes when you go through, but overall there are more positives than negatives and I love living here. (Old Bridge/Matawan)
Old 09-11-12, 04:33 PM

Bikes: Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa

Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
East. My older sister was West, class of '68.
CH East is about a 20 minute bike ride from my home. I ride on/across Kresson Road on nearly every one my regular rides. As a matter of fact, I was on Kresson Road when I broke my arm riding last year.
I was Eastern, class of 74.
Old 09-11-12, 04:37 PM

Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by NOS88
Miss K. Nice report. But I'm so disappointed with the produce sign. Jersey has some of the best sweet corn that can be had. But then again maybe the empty spot at the top of the post is where the "Corn" sign was before it went out of season?
The corn crops really suffered this year. I bought it once all summer.
Old 09-11-12, 04:46 PM

Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Nichols
My wife and I visited NJ 2 years ago. My grandfather was a Methodist minister and his first church in 1918 was in Hope, NJ (near the Delaware Water Gap). The church is still there and we spent the night at a bed & breakfast in the old grist mill. The town was built by the Moravians and is s a beautiful area. Went from there to Ocean Grove and spent a few days. My wife and I love Ocean Grove. From there we went to Mullica Hill and visited an old fraternity brother. He and his wife have a farm there. It used to be a dairy farm but now they raise vegetables, mums, pumpkins, and etc. As you said, most people who have never been there think of NJ as turnpikes and suburbs of NYC. It is a beautiful state and I love it.
---And New Jersey loves you, too! We rode to Mullica Hill for our pie ride last year and will probably do it again this time. There is a wonderful Amish farm market there that has a great selection of delicious pies. It's a 30 mile round trip from here.
I've been to Hope, but I am not familiar with Ocean Grove. We visit the shore way south of there.
Old 09-11-12, 05:13 PM
Dharma Dog

Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I was in NYC earlier this year, in May, to see some operas at the Met. Had my fixie with me and rode all five boroughs. I also rode over the George Washington Bridge onto the Jersey Shores. If I had known there were farms in NJ, I would definitely have ridden further!

Seriously, I wish I'd had more time to explore the state. I'd heard that that's where all the New Yorkers ride. Not only that, I think they must have named a cow after the state.

Luis
Old 09-11-12, 05:31 PM

Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lhbernhardt
I was in NYC earlier this year, in May, to see some operas at the Met. Had my fixie with me and rode all five boroughs. I also rode over the George Washington Bridge onto the Jersey Shores. If I had known there were farms in NJ, I would definitely have ridden further!

Seriously, I wish I'd had more time to explore the state. I'd heard that that's where all the New Yorkers ride. Not only that, I think they must have named a cow after the state.

Luis
...and a riding shirt!
Old 09-12-12, 04:24 AM
Oh! That British Bloke ..

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Um ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jersey

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jersey_cattle

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jersey_(clothing)

Just putting the record straight ...

Attached Images
File Type: gif
jersey_map.gif (14.4 KB, 2 views)
Old 09-12-12, 04:56 AM

Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
Hehehe! I knew and was just was waiting for you or stapfam to respond to that!
Old 09-12-12, 05:14 AM
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Liked 1,543 Times in 807 Posts
Originally Posted by miss kenton
CH East is about a 20 minute bike ride from my home. I ride on/across Kresson Road on nearly every one my regular rides. As a matter of fact, I was on Kresson Road when I broke my arm riding last year.
I was Eastern, class of 74.
Older brother was East, class of 73. My mom's house is in Barclay Farms, so I have to ride Kresson Road to go eastward toward Medford and beyond. Sometimes I ride into Haddonfield and then turn southward. I grew up in Somerdale first, before Cherry Hill.

Lately, I've been riding out Greentree to Church toward Mt. Holly. In town there, you can pick up 537 (the Monmouth Road), which goes all the way to my mother-in-law's house in Colts Neck. That's a pretty good ride.

Traffic around Cherry Hill / Mount Holly is pretty crazy, though. You've got to be alert or you'll get killed.
Old 09-13-12, 09:45 PM

Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
Older brother was East, class of 73. My mom's house is in Barclay Farms, so I have to ride Kresson Road to go eastward toward Medford and beyond. Sometimes I ride into Haddonfield and then turn southward. I grew up in Somerdale first, before Cherry Hill.

Lately, I've been riding out Greentree to Church toward Mt. Holly. In town there, you can pick up 537 (the Monmouth Road), which goes all the way to my mother-in-law's house in Colts Neck. That's a pretty good ride.

Traffic around Cherry Hill / Mount Holly is pretty crazy, though. You've got to be alert or you'll get killed.
I lived the first three or four years of life living on Farndale Road in Somerdale! Small world! (But I'd hate to have to paint it. Stephen Wright)