Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Mapmyride vs Strava

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Mapmyride vs Strava

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-11, 07:01 PM
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Liked 8,047 Times in 4,280 Posts
Worst part about Strava on my Android? There's a "Logout" button but no "Quit" button. I HATE apps that you have to quit from within the fone's settings menus.

I also think the Segment creation could be made better. How about a checkbox for "show mileage and grades while editing segment"? I like to make hill based segments and I have to cross reference another map to determine where the peaks and valleys are.

A feature I think would be nice to steal from TrailGuru is the Odometer function. Love that one.

Oh and delayed start found on a couple of other apps would be nice. A 2-minute delay would be nice, cuz I'm almost as paranoid as Seattle and I like the rides to start when I'm out on the street not in my driveway.

Dunno if any of these are different if you pay up.

Last edited by LesterOfPuppets; 08-19-11 at 07:12 PM.
Old 08-19-11, 07:07 PM
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I must be the only one, but as much as I like the maps and charts of my rides, I prefer for that info not to be online. So I prefer the desktop version of these kinds of apps.
Many of these programs allow you to make your ride private upon upload. A couple make them private by default.

(oops, already covered. I should refresh more often )

Last edited by LesterOfPuppets; 08-19-11 at 07:10 PM.
Old 08-19-11, 07:28 PM
John Wayne Toilet Paper

Bikes: BH carbon, Ritchey steel, Kona aluminum

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Worst part about Strava on my Android? There's a "Logout" button but no "Quit" button. I HATE apps that you have to quit from within the fone's settings menus.

Oh and delayed start found on a couple of other apps would be nice. A 2-minute delay would be nice, cuz I'm almost as paranoid as Seattle and I like the rides to start when I'm out on the street not in my driveway.
You don't have to "quit" an application on android. Once you stop the recording and use the "back" arrow key on your phone, it closes it from memory. Use an Android task manager to verify.

As for 2-minute delay, that is built into Strava already, but in the form of a default privacy radius that you can set - it prunes any portion of your rides that comes inside a radius you specify to your home.
Old 08-19-11, 08:09 PM
cowboy, steel horse, etc

A-Ha! I hadn't seen that portion of my Profile settings on the website - thanks. Now I just have to convince it that my address is a valid one. Uggh. This feature could use a spot on a map with radius display. EDIT: I see it has the radius shown on map after the fact but it would be more helpful beforehand, IMO.

Last edited by LesterOfPuppets; 08-19-11 at 08:19 PM.
Old 08-19-11, 09:09 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have an android phone and I don't have a Garmin.

Strava 'compete' functions seem like a fun thing to use but their android app cannot find GPS location. MapMyRide however, does and that's why I use them.

If people know how to get around this Strava-android app bug, I'm all ears.
Old 08-19-11, 09:14 PM
cowboy, steel horse, etc

I don't have the trouble much. Occasionally hard to get a lock indoors but not that often. Droid 2 Global.
Old 08-20-11, 08:10 AM
Ninny

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I used Strava for the first time this morning. I like it! I wish there were more users around here though, because despite being the 5th one up a climb this morning, I am 3rd overall on the leaderboard
Old 08-20-11, 08:24 AM
John Wayne Toilet Paper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My wife's Samsung has a hard time getting/keeping satellite. My HTC does not.
Old 08-20-11, 08:28 AM
Fat man in a little coat

Bikes: Trek 7.3 FX, Trek 1.2T

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All of my data is on ridewithgps.com and connect, and there is no way i am going to go through and export each one. strava seems cool, but i think it is showing up a bit late to the game. For some reason, I didn't think to store all of my .FIT files on the computer, instead they have all been deleted :/
Old 08-20-11, 09:52 AM

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Tarmac SL3, 2013 Sram Red

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did two different group rides this morning and recorded them both on MapMyTracks and Strava. With both running at the same time, I had zero issues with GPS and my iPhone battery was barely used. I'm a fan of both but not having to swipe to stop recording on Strava wins. With all the sweat on my hand and dripping onto my VeloTrakPak, I need buttons to stop recording and not a swipe.
Old 08-20-11, 07:42 PM

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Allez Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm really surprised no one has mentioned Cyclemeter, yet. I have used Endomondo Pro, Strava, MapMyRide and Cyclemeter and Cyclemeter is my favorite. The only thing I wish they would improve on is a social/syncing aspect to it similar to Strava/MapMyRide (but you can have it sync with Dailymile and also post to Twitter/Facebook). And the UI isn't hideous like MMR.

The feature that I love MOST about it is the fact that it compares your current ride with all of your previous rides for a particular route. It has a speech "coach" that reads off your time, current speed, avg speed, distance and how far ahead or behind you are of your previous best. Apple recently featured it in an ad in the WSJ.

Cyclemeter

Last edited by kwjohns; 08-20-11 at 07:48 PM.
Old 08-20-11, 07:49 PM
Banned

Bikes: BMC RoadRacer SL01, Kona Kula FrankensteinDeluxe, Schwinn Powerglide.

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by kwjohns
I'm really surprised no one has mentioned Cyclemeter, yet. I have used Endomondo Pro, Strava, MapMyRide and Cyclemeter and Cyclemeter is my favorite. The only thing I wish they would improve on is a social/syncing aspect to it similar to Strava/MapMyRide (but you can have it sync with Dailymile and also post to Twitter/Facebook). And the UI isn't hideous like MMR.

The feature that I love MOST about it is the fact that it compares your current ride with all of your previous rides for a particular route. It has a speech "coach" that reads off your time, current speed, avg speed, distance and how far ahead or behind you are of your previous best. Apple recently featured it in an ad in the WSJ.

Cyclemeter
That looks, absolutely, like a cycling app for Apple fanboys. The way it looks like it's integrated with the calendar and all that, ugh, I wouldn't want something with such vague graphs and information just because it looks seamless on my phone.
Old 08-20-11, 09:15 PM

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Allez Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Vicelord
That looks, absolutely, like a cycling app for Apple fanboys. The way it looks like it's integrated with the calendar and all that, ugh, I wouldn't want something with such vague graphs and information just because it looks seamless on my phone.
Not sure what's wrong with being integrated with a calendar. But what non-vague graphs can you see in the Strava app? You can export a gpx file of your ride with Cyclemeter and then import that onto Strava.com or any other cycle software and view a detailed graph just as if you had used the Strava app to track your ride.
Old 08-22-11, 08:21 AM

Bikes: '09 Turner Sultan, '09 Fuji Tahoe SL and PBW foldable FS MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kwjohns
+1 for Cyclemeter (yes, it is for the iPhone only). I've been using it for ~6 months. For a $4.99 app, there is nothing better that I've come across. I signed up with Dailymile a few months ago so that I can compare stats with my friends. What intrigued me about Strava is the bike maintenance tracking and easy to use interface. The downside is if you ride more than 5 times a month you have to "upgrade" and pay for monthly or yearly $ub$cription- NO THANKS.
Old 08-22-11, 08:39 AM
John Wayne Toilet Paper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle
What intrigued me about Strava is the bike maintenance tracking and easy to use interface. The downside is if you ride more than 5 times a month you have to "upgrade" and pay for monthly or yearly $ub$cription- NO THANKS.
This is incorrect. It has been unlimited uploads for about a month now.
Old 08-22-11, 08:42 AM

Bikes: 2014 Calfee Manta Pro, 2014 Specialized Starburst CruX, 2012 Cannondale CAADX, 2007 Specialized Tarmac Expert

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
A-Ha! I hadn't seen that portion of my Profile settings on the website - thanks. Now I just have to convince it that my address is a valid one. Uggh. This feature could use a spot on a map with radius display. EDIT: I see it has the radius shown on map after the fact but it would be more helpful beforehand, IMO.
Another great thing about Strava - They listen to their customers! Voice your opinion and they might fix these quirks if they feel it would be beneficial.

https://blog.strava.com/strava-innovation-days-3553/
Old 08-24-11, 10:29 AM
Ninny

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am really liking Strava so far. For one thing it seems much easier on my iphone battery than Mapmyride. But the main thing I like is the competitive / "someone's watching" effect, it really makes you attack climbs hard when riding solo.

I can already tell that there are a couple of riders I'll probably be swapping leaderboard positions back and forth with on some of the local climbs.
Old 08-24-11, 11:02 AM
RT
The Weird Beard

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
^^^ This morning's ride was the first time I broke through an avg. speed barrier for a one hour ride. Strava really does help me after the ride, but SportyPal kept me honest during with its audible feature.
Old 08-24-11, 11:12 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So I'm guessing that unless you have a smart phone or a GPS, all of these programs are basically useless eh? I'm a dumb-phone kinda guy - just never felt the need to be that "connected", but I do like gadgets and I like the idea of being able to somehow map out your rides and such. I guess I just don't know exactly what all these programs do. No smart phone, no love?
Old 08-24-11, 11:17 AM
RT
The Weird Beard

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I was you not too long ago, kiltedcelt. When the daughter got her smartphone, I got mine upgraded as well and it is the best thing I have ever done. Sure, it is $30 more a month, but it allowed me to scale back on my broadband speed and TV package as I now have Netflix mobile and was able to sell my Garmin. A shell game, really, I end up spending about the same on an annual basis, but use my phone (other than the cycling apps and Netflix) no differently than I did my dumb phone. Garmin is for some people, but the Android App market makes your device much more versatile than a Garmin (for my uses).
Old 08-24-11, 01:42 PM

Bikes: Scott S60

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I tried out Strava this week and I like it so far. I found the ride I did someone had already mapped the climb. That was definitely nice to see how I compare. I will be sticking with it for now.
Old 08-24-11, 02:05 PM
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Originally Posted by kiltedcelt
So I'm guessing that unless you have a smart phone or a GPS, all of these programs are basically useless eh?
I used MapMyRide a lot before I got my fancy fone. It's better for mapping rides than google maps. The grades are often misrepresented, however.
Old 08-24-11, 09:10 PM
GO, Mordecai!

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I was using Strava for a bit but then it just stopped working.... I'd go on a ride and kick my ass up a hill to beat my time, then at the end of the ride it'd say it either hadn't recorded any hills, or it hadn't recorded the ride at all.... then all of a sudden it stopped being able to find GPS and I could't even start it before a ride. I just removed the app and re-downloaded. Seems to find GPS again but haven't tried it on a ride yet. Will try tomorrow and see if it works. I liked it a lot because of the competitive aspects it provided. Very fun to see who's fastest up whatever hill amongst friends.
Old 08-25-11, 06:03 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by globecanvas
I am really liking Strava so far. For one thing it seems much easier on my iphone battery than Mapmyride. But the main thing I like is the competitive / "someone's watching" effect, it really makes you attack climbs hard when riding solo.

I can already tell that there are a couple of riders I'll probably be swapping leaderboard positions back and forth with on some of the local climbs.
I was wondering if anyone else experienced an improvement in battery life when switching to Strava. I too used mapmyride and then stopped when after about an hour/~18-20 miles my iPhone's battery would be completely drained. Then I came across this thread, switched to Strava, and noticed my battery was barely used after an hour ride. Nice!
Old 08-25-11, 06:15 AM

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
I've used Bikely.com to map some rides. MMR doesn't let you print a map unless you pay them. Rather annoying for someone to post a group ride map that you can't print.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.