Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Swapping from Shimano wheelset to Campagnolo... a little help, please.

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Swapping from Shimano wheelset to Campagnolo... a little help, please.

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-16, 09:35 AM

Liked 1,901 Times in 1,111 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
<C> used to make a Driver for their hubs , in Steel, that would use Shimano cassettes.

I forget how many added 'Speeds' redesigns ago it was ..
Campagnolo still makes Shimano compatible freehubs for their wheels. Since Fulcrum wheels are made by Campagnolo, many hub parts are interchangeable, including freehubs. I would have changed the freehub on those wheels to Shimano, the OP could have sold the Record cassette for enough to pay for the Shimano freehub body and then some. Once the conversion had been done there would have been a much wider range of Shimano compatible cassette choices at much lower prices than Campagnolo cassettes. 10 speed Record cassettes are very expensive, and even the cheaper ones, Veloce and Centaur are much more expensive than equivalent quality Shimano cassettes
Long term, switching to a Shimano freehub would cost much less

Last edited by alcjphil; 09-08-16 at 09:43 AM.
Old 09-08-16, 10:17 AM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Liked 1,363 Times in 868 Posts
+ FWIW Out here, No spare parts for Campag are stocked .. For touring riders leave the Campag Bike at Home .

use mainstream Shimano & Ma & Pa small family shops can help fix them without long special order Delays.
Old 09-09-16, 08:59 AM

Liked 1,901 Times in 1,111 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
+ FWIW Out here, No spare parts for Campag are stocked .. For touring riders leave the Campag Bike at Home .

use mainstream Shimano & Ma & Pa small family shops can help fix them without long special order Delays.
This is not the case everywhere and has no bearing on the advice I gave. Since the OP has a Shimano drivetrain, it would make greater economic sense to modify the wheel to accept Shimano cassettes. The Record cassette on the wheel uses titanium cogs that wear much faster than steel cogs, so the cassette will wear out much quicker. Once it wears out the OP will be faced with buying a new one that would cost more than an equivalent Shimano cassette. Once this is taken into account, selling the very expensive Record cassette to pay for the required Shimano compatible freehub unit makes perfect sense. I do not myself have any qualms about riding bikes with Campagnolo components, in fact my 2 road bikes are equipped with Campy drivetrains and I do not hesitate to ride them anywhere