Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

new to brifters

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-12, 11:02 PM

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
My very first move to Brifters was about 5 years ago. I wanted to get back into cycling after a long lay off and I had been riding a semi recumbent around town. I used to hand around the bike shop all the time and I got a call that they were having a sale on road bikes that I might want to check out. I might have mentioned before it was a Sora equiped Jamis and I headed down the street soon figured out what the thumb shifters were for. As I came up to a stop light however I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to down shift into another gear. The best I could do was drop into the 34 ring and push a 12 back towards the LBS. Then purely by accident I noticed the brake leve moved and I pushed it and it shifted. I kept the information to myself and bought the bike after a longer test ride.
Old 03-18-12, 05:13 PM

Liked 1,465 Times in 1,014 Posts
Originally Posted by Nermal
So, fill us in on SRAM. Even better?
It's different. Shimano uses two levers. Sram uses one: push it farther and you get a shift to a higher-tooth-count gear; push it less and you get a shift to a lower-tooth-count gear. It's a bit confusing coming from Shimano. I like brifters but the "older" stuff works well too.