Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Touring plans for 2006? Let's hear them!!

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Touring plans for 2006? Let's hear them!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-05, 07:23 PM
Hi. I'm in Delaware.

Bikes: 2017 All City Space Horse, 2015 Jamis Dragonslayer, 2016 Velo Orange Pass Hunter Disc, 1991 Tommasini Competizione, 2018 Soma Wolverine fixed gear, 1996 Diamondback Outlook w/Crust Clydesdale, 1999 Torelli Corsa Strada (Coaster Brake Conversion ;] )

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
well my plan for a tour itself is to tour from Delaware to Nova Scotia, probably around next may or june. but this fall I'm going to slowly build a mountain bike into a 26 wheeled tourer
Old 08-16-05, 07:46 PM
'Mizer Cats are INSANE

Bikes: C-dale T800

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm looking at Nashville to New Orleans. I should be able to get some time out of the classroom to do that. Heck, I've been maxed out on vacation time since Ceasar rode a Fixie.

Steve W.
Who's coworkers are no longer surprised when boxes show up for me.
Old 08-16-05, 08:20 PM
Zen Master

Bikes: Cervelo R5 - SuperSix

Liked 89 Times in 42 Posts
Mannnn, that'll take alotta tires & tubes.

Originally Posted by Robbykills
....... but this fall I'm going to slowly build a mountain bike into a 26 wheeled tourer
Old 08-16-05, 08:58 PM
Hi. I'm in Delaware.

Bikes: 2017 All City Space Horse, 2015 Jamis Dragonslayer, 2016 Velo Orange Pass Hunter Disc, 1991 Tommasini Competizione, 2018 Soma Wolverine fixed gear, 1996 Diamondback Outlook w/Crust Clydesdale, 1999 Torelli Corsa Strada (Coaster Brake Conversion ;] )

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Miles2go
Mannnn, that'll take alotta tires & tubes.
rats.

I blame it on my laziness of using the shift key to make a "
Old 08-16-05, 09:16 PM

Bikes: TREK-520 & 830

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by velonomad
Haven't given much thought to 2006 yet, I am still working on this years tours
For 2006, I have been thinking about paddling the 330 mile length of the Erie Canal in my home built Kayak I finished a few days ago.
Nice job on the kayak, how's it handle?
Old 08-17-05, 06:44 PM

Bikes: Spec Rockhopper 2001

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi camel,

I am planning the same thing as you for 2006. I can leve work for up to 8 months ! lol
I am currently looking at something like:

1. Start at Lisbonne
2. Up following the atlantic until the "loire valley"
3. Head toward Amsterdam
4. Down the Rhin
5. East following Danube
6. Reach Istanbul ...

Or something accross Italia/Greece. Anyway, I just thought we could help each other with the planning thing. I will be trying to figure out the best path in the following months. Reply me if interested.
Old 08-17-05, 07:09 PM
"I love lamp"

Bikes: 06 Fuji Track with upgrades, 06 Redline Flight Monocog, 01 Trek XO1, 2003 Cervelo P3, 2006 Bianchi San Jose monstercross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2 weeks down the pacific coast, looks like Canada to Seattle probaly. I would like to go longer but I need to get back for job interviews (hopefully). This trip came about this way,

Me: How much are you spending on Timmy's graduation party?

Mom: A lot but don't worry you can have a big party when you graduate next year.

Me: How about we go out to dinner with immediate family, you just buy me a plane ticket out west and we call it even?

Mom: Deal!
Old 08-17-05, 08:29 PM

Bikes: IRO Model 19, Surly Crosscheck, 1989 Arnie Nashbar, Cannondale CAADX, Niner Air 9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm considering a TransAmerica trip next Spring. I figure, if I can take the time off of work, it's as good a time as any--I'm not getting any younger. I'm only in the initial stages of research but will probably plan on about 2 months. I'll use my Cross Check and am considering upgrading to a carbon fork with front disk brakes. Any opinions on carbon on a fully loaded touring bike (ie, durability, etc)?
Old 08-18-05, 04:04 PM
Easy Does It

Bikes: 2005 Fuji Ace

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just started riding in May after a 22 year hiatus and I have just one "tour" goal so far and that is to complete the 2006 Memory Ride from Brattleboro, VT to Boston, MA.
Old 08-31-05, 02:41 PM

Bikes: Trek 2200-27 speed. Sch., Moab mtn bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
milesowl and camel:

What in the world do you do for a living?

Take 8 months off from work? Whoa!!!
Old 08-31-05, 03:56 PM

Bikes: Spec Rockhopper 2001

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I work for an aircraft engine overhaul company... Rolls-Royce.

I can "bank" a part of my salary and leave for a few months afterward... really great. I've been saving 25% of my pay checks for 2 years... it adds up to a lot of money !!
Old 11-19-05, 07:02 PM

Bikes: Gardin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any updates re 2006 tours?

Personally, I am planning to do the Ay-Yi-Yi Tour: Ireland, Italy, Ireland -- three different trips, two in the spring and one in the fall.
Old 11-19-05, 08:07 PM

Bikes: '93 Bridgestone MB-3, '88 Marinoni road bike, '00 Marinoni Piuma, '01 Riv A/R

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Back to the touring....

Nancy and I are thinking of either Scotland or Italy for July 06 but who knows. I may throw a companions wanted ad in the ACA mag and see if we can get a group tour going. So many choices.
What part of Scotland are you thinking of? I spent May '04 in Scotland, Edinburgh-Stirling-Inverness-Ullapool-Lewis&Harris-Skye-Ardrossan, then caught a ferry to Belfast and a train to Dublin to visit my sister. If you have any questions, post them in a new thread, I'll try to help anyway I can. My tour was on a very shoestring budget, hostels and camping.

My plan for 2006 is Italy, Milan - Cinque Terre - Florence - Siena - Elba - Assisi, train to Bolzano then ride through the Alps on whatever passes are open to get back to Milan.
Old 11-19-05, 08:39 PM
Touring senior

Bikes: Cannondale touring bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My plan for the summer of '06 is to complete the Transcontinental tour that started in Corpus Christ, TX (ie: Gulf of Mexico), and terminates at Tuktoyaktuk, Northwest Territories (ie: Arctic Ocean). Last year I got up to the Alaska Highway, and hoped to finish out this summer ('05), but at the 600 km point my heart decided to protest and went into atrial fibrilation. So I had to quit.....BUT medication seems to have brought things under control, and my docs have given the green light for continuing next summer. I only have about 2,000 km left. (I'm 61, new to riding, and a very BigGuy, I travel solo, and camp.)
Old 11-19-05, 10:35 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I plan on trying to ride a 3-day tour somewhere. The military makes it hard to do even that much, however...!

How do so many of you get so much time off...or are you retired?
Old 11-19-05, 11:00 PM
Zen Master

Bikes: Cervelo R5 - SuperSix

Liked 89 Times in 42 Posts
Hey Mark

What are you touring on, the A/R? How much time are you taking for the Italy trip and when? Nancy and I still haven't decided where we're going this July. Italy, France, Scotland or someplace else. 'Tis our first tour abroad and also on a budget.

If you haven't seen our tour journals, we stopped in your town twice on our tour two summers ago. We left our driveway with no real plans and ended up in Denver 23 days later.

Drop us a line at emerckx at xmission D commm .

Cheers,

Ron
South Ogden, Utah
https://miles2go.crazyguyonabike.com
https://www.pbase.com/canyonlands/

Originally Posted by markf
What part of Scotland are you thinking of? I spent May '04 in Scotland, Edinburgh-Stirling-Inverness-Ullapool-Lewis&Harris-Skye-Ardrossan, then caught a ferry to Belfast and a train to Dublin to visit my sister. If you have any questions, post them in a new thread, I'll try to help anyway I can. My tour was on a very shoestring budget, hostels and camping.

My plan for 2006 is Italy, Milan - Cinque Terre - Florence - Siena - Elba - Assisi, train to Bolzano then ride through the Alps on whatever passes are open to get back to Milan.
Old 11-19-05, 11:24 PM
Caffeinated.

Bikes: Waterford 1900, Quintana Roo Borrego, Trek 8700zx, Bianchi Pista Concept

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Milesowl
Hi camel,

I am planning the same thing as you for 2006. I can leve work for up to 8 months ! lol
I am currently looking at something like:

1. Start at Lisbonne
2. Up following the atlantic until the "loire valley"
3. Head toward Amsterdam
4. Down the Rhin
5. East following Danube
6. Reach Istanbul ...

Or something accross Italia/Greece. Anyway, I just thought we could help each other with the planning thing. I will be trying to figure out the best path in the following months. Reply me if interested.
--bit of a late reply...but my tour plans have changed. Now rather than explore bits of Europe, I've opted for a long point to point. I've allways wanted to see Everest anways (perhaps give it a go someday)-and I can't think of a better way to get there!
Old 11-19-05, 11:30 PM
Caffeinated.

Bikes: Waterford 1900, Quintana Roo Borrego, Trek 8700zx, Bianchi Pista Concept

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by barbara curtiss
milesowl and camel:

What in the world do you do for a living?

Take 8 months off from work? Whoa!!!
-Another late reply. I'm a technologist in a hosptal lab (specializing in transfusion medicine). Bit of a pigeon hole career wise, but pays ok. I also have no "responsibilties" yet (wife, children, mortgage).
Old 11-20-05, 11:02 AM

Bikes: '93 Bridgestone MB-3, '88 Marinoni road bike, '00 Marinoni Piuma, '01 Riv A/R

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hey Mark

What are you touring on, the A/R? How much time are you taking for the Italy trip and when? Nancy and I still haven't decided where we're going this July. Italy, France, Scotland or someplace else. 'Tis our first tour abroad and also on a budget.

If you haven't seen our tour journals, we stopped in your town twice on our tour two summers ago. We left our driveway with no real plans and ended up in Denver 23 days later.

Drop us a line at emerckx at xmission D commm .

Cheers,

Ron
South Ogden, Utah
I will be on the A/R, I hope to spend from the last week in April until the end of May on this trip.

Italy and France will be quite hot in July (the luxury tour companies only do sping and fall, to give you an idea), unless you go for the Alps. The further north and west I got in Scotland, the better I liked it. Camping was OK, hostels were really great, especially the little ones out in the countryside. B&Bs would be good for 2 people together. PM me here or (better yet) start a thread on the country you're going to if you have more questions.
Old 11-20-05, 11:07 AM

Bikes: mountain bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe in my Home page you will find an opportunity for next summer?
Old 11-20-05, 11:17 AM
gnz
Being there, doing that

Bikes: Avanti Pioneer Hybrid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After some radical change of plans I am now set for Mumbai India this January. Rough plans include doing all of India south then north, pass into Nepal or probably directly into China where I hope to see Everest at least in the distance. Then southern China and then we will decide on what route to SE Asia (any suggestions?). Then across Australia to the final 'destination' Sydney. I expect this to take most of 2006 for me

cheers!
Old 11-20-05, 01:55 PM
fredelicious mini-masher

Bikes: Specialized Ruby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
FYI - Just saw this in the USA Weekend today. Starting in 12/31/2007, you'll need a US passport for land crossings to Canada and Mexico.
Old 11-20-05, 05:11 PM
Florida to Oregon in 2007

Bikes: LeMond Buenos Aires, Trek 7500, Scattante CFR, Burley Hudson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The wife and I are doing one of the organized tours in Tuscany in May of 2006. When we return I am planning on a solo east coast tour: Florida to Virginia.
Old 11-21-05, 04:04 AM

Bikes: Gazelle Playa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Spring 2006
Second tour for me, first for my wife.
Maastricht, The Netherlands to Barcelona, Spain.
https://www.geocities.com/xilios/index.html
Old 11-21-05, 11:19 AM
Lentement mais sûrement

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I've had to cut my 2005 tour short and missed the fall colors. It's like a curse, I miss them every year. So next year I'm doing a fall color tour, from La Tuque or Quebec City back to Montreal via the Laurentian hills. It will include some hiking and probably some canoeing. The route will be roughly the one in the picture, with more dirt roads if my new bike is ready. Hopefully, I won't be mistaken for a moose by some drunken hunter.

Another would be the north shore of the St-Lawrence and Anticosti island but it'd have to be during the summer and I can't take enough time off to go as slow as I want. 2007, maybe.

I love tracing routes on maps.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.