Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

New York Century

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-08, 10:59 PM

Bikes: '05 Fuji Silhouette, '06 Specialized Tarmac Comp, '06 Bianchi Pista

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Those that have done this ride before, is there usually a long wait to pick up the bib and such for those of us that regged ourselves late?

Will try to meet up with you guys as well...
Old 09-05-08, 05:39 AM
Air
Destroyer of Wheels

Bikes: Surly LHT, Dahon folding bike. RIP Nishiki Sport, Downtube IXNS, 1950's MMB3 Russian Folding Bike, MTB

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Gotta get there early - the later you are the longer the line becomes exponentially. At 5:30 you should be able to almost just walk to the table. At 5:50 you have a 30 min wait.

It's the year of the enema!
Old 09-05-08, 11:07 AM

Bikes: 2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert, 2007 Specialized Sequoia Elte

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mazaev
Those that have done this ride before, is there usually a long wait to pick up the bib and such for those of us that regged ourselves late?

Will try to meet up with you guys as well...
If you registered late and didn't get your bib in the mail,
you can pick it up Saturday, between 10 & 2 at:
127 West 26th Street (6 & 7 Ave.) Suite 1002.
Old 09-05-08, 11:55 AM

Bikes: 08 Caad9 Tiagra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New to all this - do they cancel for bad weather? That hurricane/tropical storm rain winds thing named Hannah is expected to hit NYC late afternoon Sat and stick ard for a while. (I'm all for it if someone can train the wind into a 40mph tailwind tho).
Old 09-05-08, 11:56 AM
Air
Destroyer of Wheels

Bikes: Surly LHT, Dahon folding bike. RIP Nishiki Sport, Downtube IXNS, 1950's MMB3 Russian Folding Bike, MTB

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Nope - rain or shine.

Old 09-05-08, 12:01 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Guys:

If you got the turn sheet from me, please make sure to check your email as there has been a last minute change.
Old 09-06-08, 05:07 AM

Bikes: Canondale CAAD 10 3; Trek 7200; Motobecane Grand Sprint

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the weather. Forecast calls for rain Saturday and a nice sunny day on Sunday.
Old 09-06-08, 08:24 AM
'cause I can

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey everyone,

I'm going to do the century for the first time tomorrow - looking forward!!

I bought my bib from someone on Craigslist - does it matter as far as registration goes? Will they have someone else's name? I don't see a number on the bib so I'm assuming they just allow people with bibs to line up whenever they want, is that true?

Also, I know this might be a silly question (and I know it's very individual) but I'm hoping to finish between 1pm and 2pm. I know that's not any racer speed, but I guess I'm wondering since there are no street closures, whether this is considered slow, average, or what? Anyone else aiming for that time frame? Just curious...

It'd be nice to meet some of you tomorrow too!
Old 09-06-08, 08:45 AM
Flying Dahon

Bikes: 2005 Trek 1000 - Orange / 2006 Dahon Speed P8 / 2008 Brompton M6L

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have fun guys! I can't make it this year...
Old 09-06-08, 09:04 AM
Air
Destroyer of Wheels

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Miss ya Avatar!

Originally Posted by ZG2NYC
Also, I know this might be a silly question (and I know it's very individual) but I'm hoping to finish between 1pm and 2pm. I know that's not any racer speed, but I guess I'm wondering since there are no street closures, whether this is considered slow, average, or what? Anyone else aiming for that time frame? Just curious...
Once you start you can go as fast as you want. No street closures though.

Old 09-06-08, 11:05 AM

Bikes: 2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert, 2007 Specialized Sequoia Elte

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Picked up my bib today at TA office.
No waiting in lines tomorrow morning
Old 09-06-08, 01:46 PM
Air
Destroyer of Wheels

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Anyone have a gps route from year's past? Want to compare.

Old 09-06-08, 01:47 PM
Face of a thousand pieces

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll be there with 3 other friends, we are leaving from Englewood in NJ, riding up the damn hill to the GW Bridge, across then down to central park for the start!
Old 09-06-08, 07:34 PM
34x25 FTW!

Bikes: Kona Jake, Scott CR1, Dahon SpeedPro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks I may be doing this ride after all. Will be on my Scott CR1 if I'm out there. Probably Livestrong or Columbia Univ jersey.
Old 09-07-08, 01:40 AM
Air
Destroyer of Wheels

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I hate waking up this early...

Old 09-07-08, 02:03 AM
34x25 FTW!

Bikes: Kona Jake, Scott CR1, Dahon SpeedPro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Air
I hate waking up this early...
Try having a 3.5 month old baby wake-up a few times at night for attention like he knows you won't be around today, then getting-up stupid early for your first ride over 15 miles since before said baby was born.
Old 09-07-08, 02:40 AM
Air
Destroyer of Wheels

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I'll take the boozin' till 3 hrs before

Old 09-07-08, 04:03 PM
Air
Destroyer of Wheels

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
That was a beautiful day!

Ride report after I eat, but because of the lack of sleep I didn't want to push past the 75 mile (plus a few mechanical stops between the 50 and 70 mile rest stop compounded that). Couldn't concentrate on the road, started absently going through intersections and missing markers so it was time to call it a day. Came home feeling good instead of beaten up so all in all great day!

Got to meet FrankieV too

Old 09-07-08, 06:06 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was there for the 100 and did not finish due to a mechanical problem.... didn't even make it off the island and had to take a cab back. Ended up as a volunteer for TA for the day to make myself useful. I was there wearing my red JetFuel Coffee jersey. My friend who did the 100 ended up taking 9 hours to do the ride, and he's a good rider too. Between red lights and the number of flats people were getting, the whole rides evidently took a lot longer than most planned for.
Old 09-07-08, 06:25 PM

Bikes: 08 Caad9 Tiagra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Weather did hold up absolutely amazing. Set my alarm for 5am to try to make the 75miler... umm except never turned it on. Woke up at 7a, and left the start line at 830a for a compromised 55miler in under 5 hours incl rest stops (hey i'm new, just bought grown up bike for the first time jul30th!). My only previous planned ride was the north fork 100km.

First half of 55miler was gorgeous, return trip thru brooklyn not so scenic. Need to figure out a better training / nutrition plan since want to shoot for a Century in oct that doesn't involve as many intersections.
Old 09-07-08, 08:11 PM
Batüwü Griekgriek

Bikes: 1986 Trek 500 Tri Series, 2005 Cannondale R1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
beautiful day. hope everyone had a good time. I liked most of the changes.
Old 09-07-08, 08:17 PM

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Liked 547 Times in 429 Posts
I was in Prospect Park as the tail end of the riders were coming through. I regret not doing the 55 miler at least as while I was riding in the park I felt fine. I was worried about this cough I've had for 2 weeks now, but it wouldn't have been an issue. I've done the 100+ the last 2 years and had a blast both times, even though I find Queens a bit boring.

There's still a bunch of rides coming up that I'll do. Next year on this one.
Old 09-08-08, 05:19 AM
Air
Destroyer of Wheels

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Jrather
I was there for the 100 and did not finish due to a mechanical problem.... didn't even make it off the island and had to take a cab back. Ended up as a volunteer for TA for the day to make myself useful. I was there wearing my red JetFuel Coffee jersey. My friend who did the 100 ended up taking 9 hours to do the ride, and he's a good rider too. Between red lights and the number of flats people were getting, the whole rides evidently took a lot longer than most planned for.
I passed someone whose rim blew apart just a mile or so into Brooklyn - half of it was just dangling. Impressive. Someone else I helped towards the end had a tube that blew out the tire as well. Good for you to go back and volunteer!

I agree with the timing - it seems like if you're not in the front of the 100 milers you really have to haul ass to finish. By the time I got to Randalls Island if I peeled off for the 100 I don't think I would have finished before 6.

Old 09-08-08, 06:49 AM
'cause I can

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jrather
I was there for the 100 and did not finish due to a mechanical problem....
Same here, although I made it Van Cortland park before experiencing my THIRD (and final) flat. Luckily for me, I live in Riverdale so I just limped home from there. I was bummed not to finish, but between getting lost once with another rider, and going around the velodrome a few times, I did get 94.5 miles in.

I really enjoyed my first ride, though. My favorite part was the riding early in the morning when the cars where few and far between and going over the Brooklyn Bridge when the sun was coming up! And being at Coney Island again when no one else was around...

Queens and the Bronx...eh...I heard many riders comment that they wound us around those side streets just to get us to 100 miles. Maybe, but I was hitting those sections alone so I pedaled harder until I caught up with others. (Also didn't want to get a flat in some of those areas in the Bronx!)

Least favorite part was the Triborough - it's almost workable for bikes...but it's pretty lame. Just shows you how great some of the paths are and how much work there is left to do.

Overall I was impressed with the organization of it all - met some really nice people although I'm not sure I met anyone here on BF. Next year we should have some sort of arm band as an identifier

But yes, between the lights, getting behind large groups (and getting lured in by the wonderful rest stops) I think finishing before the mid to late afternoon would be very hard. At least for me!
Old 09-08-08, 07:26 AM
Calamari to go

Bikes: Trek 750

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Woke up a little late and missed the early start. I was coming across 110th as the first riders headed out the other way.
I hadn't been doing many longer rides this season, so I originally planned to do the 55 mile and then a lap of Central Park. But at Carnarsie I was feeling pretty good, so I decided on a modified 75. After Kissena I split from the route and took a short cut, Went to Flushing Meadows to take pictures of the old world's fair site and Shea. Rejoined on the Promenade at Shea. Finished with 73 miles for the day.

Was a good days ride. Over dressed at the start so I was carrying too much stuff.

Did anyone else see the roller blader on the 75/100 route. I passed her in Brooklyn before PP, then saw her again at Kissena. I can't imagine doing 75 miles on blades.

I had no mechanical problems, but in Prospect Park I was riding near someone when his rear derailer bracket broke. Sounded like it was tearing up his spokes.

Is the Triboro work supposed to be done next year? I forgot to take my computer off the bike when we started walking and my average speed went down by half a mph.

Last edited by cc_rider; 09-08-08 at 07:33 AM. Reason: grammer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.