Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Brooks help

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Brooks help

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-12, 06:15 PM

Bikes: Poison Chinin IGH

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can't help with the width but i support the advise to lace your B17. I had one that was stretched too much, and then the bolt failed. I ended up disassembling it, replacing the bolt, butchered, laced and mounted the leather top back using screws and nuts. And I ended up with something I was looking for a while, it's like a wider Swallow. The top part is pretty flat, it's as stiff as B17N (i have that one too) and i really like the width of the regular B17.

It's got a bit wider in the middle, and I can put it further backwards, which helps when i want to sit lower -- i don't need to sit right on top of the metal frame, it's easier to find the sweet spot. I guess it could help you a bit when mountain biking, it is easier to get behind a low saddle. In general i see a pattern with Brooks saddles: the more upright the riders position is, the more flat is the saddle. And it needs to be wider too to support the sitbones (well, sorry for saying the obvious).

Now it is my favorite saddle, I am glad I had a bit of spare time to torture it and did not throw it away.

Photos:

Last edited by mikhalit; 12-12-12 at 06:42 PM.
Old 12-12-12, 09:50 PM

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by mikhalit
Can't help with the width but i support the advise to lace your B17. I had one that was stretched too much, and then the bolt failed. I ended up disassembling it, replacing the bolt, butchered, laced and mounted the leather top back using screws and nuts. And I ended up with something I was looking for a while, it's like a wider Swallow. The top part is pretty flat, it's as stiff as B17N (i have that one too) and i really like the width of the regular B17.

It's got a bit wider in the middle, and I can put it further backwards, which helps when i want to sit lower -- i don't need to sit right on top of the metal frame, it's easier to find the sweet spot. I guess it could help you a bit when mountain biking, it is easier to get behind a low saddle. In general i see a pattern with Brooks saddles: the more upright the riders position is, the more flat is the saddle. And it needs to be wider too to support the sitbones (well, sorry for saying the obvious).

Now it is my favorite saddle, I am glad I had a bit of spare time to torture it and did not throw it away.
Great worksmanship there. I guess when butchering you left some of the skirt to enable the lacing. Since I only weigh about 140 lbs I thinking butchering would work but I'll try lacing first since it's easier.
Old 12-14-12, 03:21 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice work on tha B17. Don't the bolt heads try to bite your rear end?
Old 12-14-12, 05:01 AM

Bikes: Poison Chinin IGH

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
not at all, i don't feel any difference between this and original (these bolts have very low profile and wide cap). But it's not really necessary to use'em, i had to do it because of the failed bolt. Sure it was easier to get the right tension with the detached leather part.

I like the look though, reminds me my teenage years.

Last edited by mikhalit; 12-14-12 at 05:08 AM.
Old 12-17-12, 06:56 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just placed an order on a B17 Select and a black Team Pro Chrome.
Lest's see how they fit
Old 12-28-12, 02:23 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Team Pro and the B17 Select arrived today. My views on them:

Team Pro- GORGEOUS saddle, but unfortunately not for me. The rails are too short and I can't get it back enough on the seatpost. Also, the shape is too round for me, and the flat section is too short. The leather on mine is 4.5-4.8mm thick, good but nothing crazy. Also, the width difference for the B17 is not enough to make it easier to get behind. Is currently on sale.

B17 Select- This thing is built like a tank. The leather is between 5 to 5.5mm thick, and in some places goes to almost 6mm! Overall shape and rail lenght is the same as my old B17, which is a good thing. The frame finish is much better than the flimsy paint of the Standard models. I'll keep this one