Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Group Rides and Skill Levels

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Group Rides and Skill Levels

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-11, 04:11 PM

Bikes: Caad 9.5, Madone 6 series, Speed Concept 7 series.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by icyclist
"I've only been actively cycling a little over two months" and "I believe I have long since left the beginner category" is reminds me of military intelligence, airline food, and honest politicians.
I see what you are saying, but still, let's not be mean.
I started riding solo on a hybrid and thought i was bad ass at the first too =P
All it took was one group ride to quickly let me know where I stood (at the back of the line- not even, 2-3 hundred yards behind the back of the line). It's been almost a year now and I still consider myself a beginner.

OP- I just finished my first tri two days ago and I averaged 20mph over 26 miles with rolling hills and two serious climbs and i'm still a newbie cause i can't climb to save my life. I would reconsider your self assessment and find a newbie group to get you started. If you find that very easy, then move on to more challenging rides.

Regardless of your level, you should start joining group rides. They will keep you motivated and help you learn skills you'll never get at home on the trainer.

Good luck!
Old 04-18-11, 07:39 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by flaco
Try the Jack and Adam's shop ride on Sunday morning. They are beginner-friendly and break up into groups based on skill/fitness. Also, they go east so it's not as hilly.
i agree. i live in austin too and this was one of my first rides back in september. i've been trying to make it out to some other group rides recently. this is a good ride to get started with, and they go out in 3 groups so you can pick the one you feel the most comfortable with. take a shot at the intermediate group, and from there you can decide if you want to join the next group up or the next group down.

i am going to try to make it to the ride at mellow johnny's on saturday. we had a good 32ish mile ride last week, so hopefully it's not 100 degrees by then!

and btw, everyone i have ever met on a ride (road or mtb) in central texas has been really friendly.

Last edited by loudtiger; 04-18-11 at 07:42 PM.
Old 04-18-11, 07:55 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I didn't start riding with groups till two weeks ago. I started riding last year on a hybrid bike and did 18 miles regularly at 15.5mph and can do 30 miles at the same pace. I got a road bike last month and last week started with the beginning group. It was ok but more like 15-16mph so I went with the intermediate group afterward which is like 17mph pace and too slow still at times. We ended up dropping everyone but three of us because they went too quick with the wind and all died into the wind. I'd say build up to a 30 mile ride at 16mph then you should be fine going with them.
Old 04-19-11, 05:12 PM
Rabid Member

Bikes: 2006 Trek 2100, 1973 Crescent Mark XX, 196x Peugeot PX-10

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'd suggest trying one of the Austin Cycling Association "hosted rides", picking the level you think you fit - but start on the conservative side. They have a variety of distances and also rate the rides on amount of hills. Based on your history I think I'd try a D ride first and see how it goes. 12-14 on flat would match your 50-mile ride, assuming that might have been the Red Poppy Ride which was pretty flat. If D is too slow, move up to C, etc.

• A (dark blue)– Fast-paced ride for very fit experienced riders. (18+ mph average speed on flat routes.)
  • B (orange)– Moderately intense brisk paced ride for experienced, self-confident riders. (16-18 mph average speed on flat routes.)
  • C (turquoise)– Intermediate level ride. Challenging for newer riders. Social pace for fit and experienced riders. (14-16 mph average speed on flat routes.)
  • D (fuchsia)– Beginner to advanced-beginner riders. Suits newer riders or riders seeking a leisurely pace. (12-14 mph average speed on flat routes.)
  • E (green)– Novice and Family-friendly. Suitable for beginners, children, and sightseers (less than 12 mph average speed on flat routes.)
Old 04-19-11, 05:31 PM

Bikes: 2008 Cervelo RS, 2004Trek 2100,1985 Nishike Prestige

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Group rides in groups abit slower than you might want to go, are still very enjoyable. Groups rides in groups abit faster than you might want to or be able to go are challenging, group rides with a bunch of road nazis might get you killed, so I wouldnt overestimate my abilty. Give the beginner ride a chance, and worse case you will enjoy yourself rather than face abject humiliaition in the wrong group.
Old 04-19-11, 05:32 PM
Uber Goober

Liked 42 Times in 33 Posts
In hilly country, a ride that averages 18 mph probably ranges from about 6 mph to 35 mph.

Check out some non-drop rides and some charity rides. Just being around other riders more will let you know to some extent if you're slow or fast.
Old 04-19-11, 06:29 PM

Bikes: Surly CC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Everybody overestimates their ability. The group I ride with pushes near 21 into winds between 10-25 MPH regularly. I'm not good, I just am too scared to get dropped and have to deal with the winds myself.

and I'm not a novice rider. My 50 mile ride time is 2:49:00. And that's still considered "too slow" by my personal standard.

and to put it in context, I'm considered one of the faster riders in my community, and at a recent criterium I came in somewhere near 12th in a field of 20. The fast group was pushing upwards of 24 mph. My average over a 44 minute ride was somewhere near 19 MPH. And that was considered slowish.

Endurance does not offer equity into the intermediate club. Interval training, HIT, and building up speed combined with endurance all have a place in your growth in this hobby/sport.

I'm not even trying to brag, but with around 2.5k miles already for 2011 I'm nowhere near the advanced rider many, many of these guys are.

Show up and expect that you're going to get dropped. Make it your mission to finish rides, listen (and avoid talking) and find someone in the group you're comfortable riding with. Read a lot of the posts here on group etiquette and then return in a year with the triumphant "I'm now an intermediate rider!" thread.
Old 04-19-11, 08:17 PM
Beer >> Sanity

Bikes: 2014 Evo DA2, 2010 Caad9-4, 2011 Synapse-4, 2013 CaadX-disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Santaria
Everybody overestimates their ability. The group I ride with pushes near 21 into winds between 10-25 MPH regularly. I'm not good, I just am too scared to get dropped and have to deal with the winds myself.

and I'm not a novice rider. My 50 mile ride time is 2:49:00. And that's still considered "too slow" by my personal standard.

and to put it in context, I'm considered one of the faster riders in my community, and at a recent criterium I came in somewhere near 12th in a field of 20. The fast group was pushing upwards of 24 mph. My average over a 44 minute ride was somewhere near 19 MPH. And that was considered slowish.
Hey, that makes me feel kind of good. I just did my first 50 mile ride in 2:58 (moving time) and it was kind of windy that day. It was loop ride, so not sure if I benefited more or lost more from the wind but for a while I was going 12 mph into a 25ish mph headwind which pretty much sucked. My average for the whole ride was 17mph. Of course, I'm still a beginner at this.