Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show us your dungeon

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show us your dungeon

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-14, 08:28 AM

Liked 133 Times in 79 Posts
My dungeon is non-bike-specific.

Old 11-20-14, 08:57 AM
Banned.

Liked 270 Times in 172 Posts
Originally Posted by Henry III
\

Is there a need to have two Primatos when theirs so many needy cyclists in the C&V that don't have one? Haha
Looks to me like one is a Primato, one is a Neo Primato.
Old 11-20-14, 08:59 AM

Bikes: are fun!

Liked 865 Times in 274 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmuller
Ask her to help you start a thread "Show us your shoe closet." Then on second thought, maybe that's not such a good idea.
Talk about a point of persuasion.
She's understanding once I understand it for her. Her clothing/fashion hobby generates income...mine generates good health.

I'm in the middle of a move so I won't be adding anything to this thread for some time (or the other version). This will serve as inspiration for organization if I see good examples (good work Sixty Fiver).
Old 11-20-14, 09:26 AM

Bikes: they change so much I'm tired of updating this

Liked 1,193 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by photogravity
Where did you get this shirt? I would like to get one.
I did a quick search and found them on eBay.
Old 11-20-14, 09:46 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Liked 575 Times in 340 Posts
I have a cellar, but I think the light bulb burned out again. Watch your head!
Old 11-20-14, 09:52 AM

Liked 2,847 Times in 2,010 Posts
Originally Posted by D1andonlyDman
What on earth does someone do with a double digit number of bikes? I can see 2 or 3 or even 4 or 5, for different types of riding in different conditions. But some folks here have more than 10 or a dozen bikes.
Obviously, you are new here.
Old 11-20-14, 10:13 AM

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
A bit chaotic, as other space has been given up for the family Thanksgiving feast in a few days.

Old 11-20-14, 10:18 AM

Bikes: mid 1980s De Rosa SL, 1985 Tommasini Super Prestige all Campy SR, 1992 Paramount PDG Series 7, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1998 Trek Y-foil, 2006 Schwinn Super Sport GS, 2006 Specialized Hardrock Sport

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by repechage
Obviously, you are new here.
Yes, but I'm not new to planet earth, and it would seem that some folks here with barns full of ~50 bikes might be.
Old 11-20-14, 10:24 AM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Liked 601 Times in 314 Posts
Yes, but I'm not new to planet earth, and it would seem that some folks here with barns full of ~50 bikes might be.
I'm waiting for an episode of "Buried Alive: Hoarders", where family members stumble through skip-tooths, Varsity's, Roadmasters, Murry's looking for that Eddy Merckx at the bottom.
Old 11-20-14, 10:35 AM

Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
How many of you are actually allowed to bring them upstairs? My bikes are considered bastardized children to the family, they all live in either the basement or garage. Also, doesn't having them upstairs imply they are not as likely to be ridden?

Originally Posted by bconneraz
I ride them; every single one of them.

the remainder of the fleet is tucked away safely downstairs
Old 11-20-14, 10:36 AM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

My shop is in a one-car garage/barn out back. It was built 110yrs ago, loaded with antique garage fixtures when we bought the place.

Old 11-20-14, 10:38 AM

Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
What on earth does someone do with a double digit number of bikes? I can see 2 or 3 or even 4 or 5, for different types of riding in different conditions. But some folks here have more than 10 or a dozen bikes.
10 is a pretty reasonable number for an avid cyclist and can be had with very little overlap.

Track
Road Race
Road distance
randonneur
touring
off road touring
xc mountain biking
Trail mountain biking
rigid mountain bike
fixed gear or single speed
cyclocross
fat bike

need I go on?
Old 11-20-14, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by qclabrat
How many of you are actually allowed to bring them upstairs? My bikes are considered bastardized children to the family, they all live in either the basement or garage. Also, doesn't having them upstairs imply they are not as likely to be ridden?
My wife gave me the sunroom

Old 11-20-14, 10:41 AM

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR600, 1965 Schwinn Super Sport, 1973 Schwinn World Voyaguer, 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper, 1985 Specialized Rockhopper, 1988 Schwinn Traveler

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I am allowed two bikes in the bedroom, the rest are in the basement. And you are correct in saying the ones upstairs tend to get ridden less. At least this time of year when most of my riding is dirty commuting. During the summer I was racking up a lot of miles on one of the upstairs bikes, doing more recreational riding.

This week one of my upstairs bikes has been commuted on a couple times because I have had a string of incidences with the commuter bikes, such as a blown out side wall on a tire and a mangled rear derailleur.

Last edited by turky lurkey; 11-20-14 at 11:03 AM.
Old 11-20-14, 10:48 AM

following the same philosophy, but at least double that to include classic and vintage, also no fatties at the moment, they seriously take too much room

Some of you are pretty insane, I'm getting read the riot act at least once a week now....

Dman, if you had to ask, you wouldn't understand, how about picking up needlepoint instead...

Originally Posted by cyclotoine
10 is a pretty reasonable number for an avid cyclist and can be had with very little overlap.

Track
Road Race
Road distance
randonneur
touring
off road touring
xc mountain biking
Trail mountain biking
rigid mountain bike
cyclocross
fat bike

need I go on?
Old 11-20-14, 10:58 AM

Agreed. You didn't even mention differences in geometry between what would appear to be two identical bikes to the uninitiated. Then there are wheel/tire/fit differences, Ergo/DT shifting, materials/ride quality...
---
All of my bikes stay indoors/upstairs where I can control temp/humidity.

And so I can stare at them.

Last edited by Sir_Name; 11-20-14 at 11:02 AM.
Old 11-20-14, 11:36 AM

Bikes: Indeed!

Liked 3,550 Times in 1,158 Posts
Nice shop [MENTION=29368]rootboy[/MENTION]!
I'm envious.

Brent
Old 11-20-14, 11:38 AM

Bikes: Cimarrons 1835, 0836, 1767, 3517, 0768, 3408, a LHT, and a couple others

Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by qclabrat
Of course there are bikes that are ridden more than others; for instance, my commuter, my drop bar conversion Cimarron, has over 4k on it this year, where my Motorola MX Leader has only seen about 75 miles this year. If I had more room, I'd have them all in the same place. When I cash out here in CA, the goal is to buy a home with either a big basement, or a detached garage that I can turn into my own personal bike shop/museum. I had a setup like that in AZ and it was great.
Old 11-20-14, 11:40 AM

Bikes: mid 1980s De Rosa SL, 1985 Tommasini Super Prestige all Campy SR, 1992 Paramount PDG Series 7, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1998 Trek Y-foil, 2006 Schwinn Super Sport GS, 2006 Specialized Hardrock Sport

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Track
Road Race
Road distance
randonneur
touring
off road touring
xc mountain biking
Trail mountain biking
rigid mountain bike
cyclocross
fat bike

need I go on?
How is Road Distance not an overlap with randonneur? Isn't a rigid mountain bike the same as either an off-road touring bike or a trail mountain bike? Calling bikes with the same function different names doesn't make them different types of bikes.

I get that you need to rationalize owning 10 or more bikes, but seriously, there is nothing rational about it.
Old 11-20-14, 11:42 AM

Bikes: Cimarrons 1835, 0836, 1767, 3517, 0768, 3408, a LHT, and a couple others

Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Henry III

Is there a need to have two Primatos when theirs so many needy cyclists in the C&V that don't have one? Haha
good eye Henry; I love those bikes. One is a road bike, and the other is a track bike; they're twins.
Old 11-20-14, 12:23 PM

Bikes: Too, too many....

Liked 130 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by zazenzach
this thread is so, so awesome.
Hah !!! This thread is the BEST EVER !!!!!!!!!!!!

My wife has been concerned lately that her interest in old bikes had gotten out of hand - but I showed her the pictures in this thread - like the Bat Cave, Bat Shop, Bat Garage - and those bike rooms look SO MUCH like hers that it gave her a HUGE amount of relief.
Seriously.
And seriously awesome.
Thanks to all who replied.
Old 11-20-14, 12:28 PM

road distance if interpreted correctly is a relaxed, less aggressive road bike for long easy rides
not sure what is meant by trail mtb, perhaps double tracks like rails to trails?

All right you asked for it, here's another few, sure I've missed others
alone for mountain biking
- 29er (rigid, hardtail, full suspension) - all mountain or XC, suspension dependent on terrain/trail
- 650b (rigid,....) - probably going to ditch these soon
- 26er (rigid,....) - do all including tricks
- 69er
- 96er

road bikes
CX with cantis (good for longer rides where you may need to carry the bike more)
CX with discs
Triathlon
Time trial
Gravel bike (not to be confused with CX which are much lighter and don't have many braze-ons)
Porteur (hipster bikes for getting coffee, sometimes the racks cost more than the bike)
Xtracycle
cargo bike
straight bar road bike - just because
drop bar mtb - beloved by many
folders (Dahon, Brompton)
travel (Bike Friday, SS couplers)
ebike
tandems
triplets...

How is Road Distance not an overlap with randonneur? Isn't a rigid mountain bike the same as either an off-road touring bike or a trail mountain bike? Calling bikes with the same function different names doesn't make them different types of bikes.

I get that you need to rationalize owning 10 or more bikes, but seriously, there is nothing rational about it.
Old 11-20-14, 12:38 PM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Liked 3,612 Times in 2,360 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm
I have a cellar, but I think the light bulb burned out again. Watch your head!
Old 11-20-14, 12:39 PM

Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts

A distance road bike is something like a cannondale synapse or specialized Roubaix, a slightly relaxed geometry with clearance for say a 28c or maybe even 32 tire with a fender maybe. Something you can ride for say 5+ hours and come home the same day. A randonneur may clear up to a 42c tire and have difference geometry to accommodate a front load in a bar bag and likely has more powerful brakes and lights. It's for going 12+ hours with some light provisions. Maybe some gravel etc.

How is it not rational if you participate in these various activities?

I mountain bike so I own a mountain bike.
I road race so I own a road racing bike.
I train and do longer rides so I own a road bike with fenders and larger tires.
I tour so I own a touring bike.
I adventure tour so I own and off road touring bike.
I cycle in winter on packed single track and commute year round. I own a fat bike.
I used to race track so I own a track bike.
I enjoy riding a fixed gear on the road so I have a fixed gear commuter which accommodates fenders and brakes.
I race(d) cyclocross so I have a cyclocross bike.

I admit to owning two vintage road bikes which I built and restored over a long period and mostly keep them for display. I have a retro MTB for fun and locking up around town and I am working on another that is more rare and collectable. I agree with you that several of the collections above are out of hand, but this activity brings people calm and peace of mind, this is their yoga, and it is what makes them happy. How is happiness and having a peaceful and cathartic outlet not rational?
Old 11-20-14, 12:40 PM

To each their own I guess. Do what works for you.

For the record, I own more than one pair of pants.

Last edited by Sir_Name; 11-20-14 at 12:44 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.