Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why do YOU love tubulars tires and can they work in an urban environment?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Why do YOU love tubulars tires and can they work in an urban environment?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-24, 10:27 AM

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Liked 3,075 Times in 1,659 Posts
Originally Posted by Alexthe
You are surely right. and I'm delighted to have purchased her, a baby Gios of 48cm
Nice

I would suggest checking out this discussion in C&V for all things tubular Totally Tubular

Old 06-06-24, 10:23 PM

Bikes: 1] Motobecane Grand Jubilee 1978 2). 1980's Gios Turino Super Record .

Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
Best guess about the lumpy tire: the tire was installed with insufficient glue or the tire was glued and then the bike was ridden immediately (before the glue had hardened) or both. The tell-take sign is that the lump is next to a crooked valve. That's what happens when the tire can slide on the rim when pedaling or braking force is applied.

Had that happen once, back in the '80's, when I flatted while riding a bike with cyclocross tubulars on a muddy trail. The spare tire had glue on it, but the mud not only rendered the glue useless but also acted as a lubricant, so the tire was free to move circumferentially on the rim, with the movement constrained only by the valve stem.
Well what if I took the tire off of the rim and straighten it out would that relieve the lump? I wouldn't mind using these tires for a while, If I could get away with.
Old 06-06-24, 11:13 PM
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Liked 738 Times in 491 Posts
Quote:
Best guess about the lumpy tire: the tire was installed with insufficient glue or the tire was glued and then the bike was ridden immediately (before the glue had hardened) or both. The tell-take sign is that the lump is next to a crooked valve. That's what happens when the tire can slide on the rim when pedaling or braking force is applied.

Had that happen once, back in the '80's, when I flatted while riding a bike with cyclocross tubulars on a muddy trail. The spare tire had glue on it, but the mud not only rendered the glue useless but also acted as a lubricant, so the tire was free to move circumferentially on the rim, with the movement constrained only by the valve stem.
Well what if I took the tire off of the rim and straighten it out would that relieve the lump? I wouldn't mind using these tires for a while, If I could get away with.

AS TrakhaK noted, the tire wasn't fully glued down and rotated on the rim, causing the bump.
a couple more things...
a tire which has been glued on for a long time - which mulitple years really are - may actually tear off the the liner tape, that part which covers the stiching and is actually what the tire itself is glued to... for safety's sake, I would pull the tire off and discard. Having a tubular come off the rim is an instant crash, experienced in an instant.
use real tubular cement to attach a fresh tire - 3M also makes a great and very tenacious glue which also works great - don;t remember the name, but others may know it...
BEFORE you glue on new tires - place them on a rim without glue and inflate to full pressure, and let stand of a day or 2, you can then also stretch them by hand before the final glue-down.
the cement is applied to the rim - best to get as much of the old cement off, but spotless clean is not need, nor possible, just get the lumps off.
more cement is not better, A good even coat with enough to hold the tire. If you have put too much, you'll have globs of t squeezing out the sides as the tire goes on and is inflated - too late to do anything about it... LOL!
let the glue dry enough to become nicely tacky... Then the hard part - putting on the tire without getting glue all over the sidewalls, fingers and everything else. center the tire on the rim after getting it on. Then partially inflate and check your work.
TIP, another good reason to first put your tire on a non-glue rim is to check the tire positioning, The cover tape may not be exactly well centered relative to the tire running surface. Putting it on a rim, beforehand, is a good way to check that alignment of the tire tread area. The tape may be slightly off to one side... the idea is to get the tread properly positioned, and if the tape is a bit off, so be it...
Then inflate close to running pressure and let stand for at least a day for the glue to set properly... The 3M stuff stes in a few hours.
Now you're ready to ride again....
Tubulars/sewups are a pleasure to ride
Dealing with flat tubulars ? A whole other thread... LOL!
TIP - learning to 'sweep' your tire often, as you ride, both front and rear - will go a long way to preventing flats, especially if riding in 'The City'...
I still sweep my tires, often, while riding... And it's an immediate process after riding thru a pile of loose grit and road detritus... an important skill.
Ride On
Yuri
Old 06-07-24, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by cyclezen
Quote:

AS TrakhaK noted, the tire wasn't fully glued down and rotated on the rim, causing the bump.
a couple more things...
a tire which has been glued on for a long time - which mulitple years really are - may actually tear off the the liner tape, that part which covers the stiching and is actually what the tire itself is glued to... for safety's sake, I would pull the tire off and discard. Having a tubular come off the rim is an instant crash, experienced in an instant.
use real tubular cement to attach a fresh tire - 3M also makes a great and very tenacious glue which also works great - don;t remember the name, but others may know it...
BEFORE you glue on new tires - place them on a rim without glue and inflate to full pressure, and let stand of a day or 2, you can then also stretch them by hand before the final glue-down.
the cement is applied to the rim - best to get as much of the old cement off, but spotless clean is not need, nor possible, just get the lumps off.
more cement is not better, A good even coat with enough to hold the tire. If you have put too much, you'll have globs of t squeezing out the sides as the tire goes on and is inflated - too late to do anything about it... LOL!
let the glue dry enough to become nicely tacky... Then the hard part - putting on the tire without getting glue all over the sidewalls, fingers and everything else. center the tire on the rim after getting it on. Then partially inflate and check your work.
TIP, another good reason to first put your tire on a non-glue rim is to check the tire positioning, The cover tape may not be exactly well centered relative to the tire running surface. Putting it on a rim, beforehand, is a good way to check that alignment of the tire tread area. The tape may be slightly off to one side... the idea is to get the tread properly positioned, and if the tape is a bit off, so be it...
Then inflate close to running pressure and let stand for at least a day for the glue to set properly... The 3M stuff stes in a few hours.
Now you're ready to ride again....
Tubulars/sewups are a pleasure to ride
Dealing with flat tubulars ? A whole other thread... LOL!
TIP - learning to 'sweep' your tire often, as you ride, both front and rear - will go a long way to preventing flats, especially if riding in 'The City'...
I still sweep my tires, often, while riding... And it's an immediate process after riding thru a pile of loose grit and road detritus... an important skill.
Ride On
Yuri
Tubulars/sewups are a pleasure to ride ; which ones do you recommend I get for these wheels

I still sweep my tires, often, while riding.

​​​​​​​Could you please explain a little more thank you
Old 06-07-24, 12:31 AM

Liked 1,394 Times in 733 Posts
My friend, Al, was "sweeping" off his rear tire one day and through inattention his hand got jammed between the rear tire and seat tube. That hand was in a real hurt for about a week.
FWIW, eventually it becomes instinctual and presents no issues as long as one is paying attention to what they are doing.
Old 06-07-24, 08:58 AM
OM boy

Tubulars/sewups are a pleasure to ride ; which ones do you recommend I get for these wheels

I still sweep my tires, often, while riding.

Could you please explain a little more thank you
Can't really recommend any tires, since I haven't ridden tubulars in at least 2+ decades. I took a hiatus after the '98 season and on my return in '03, i decided to use clinchers.
The 'Racing' subforum might have some sewup users, ask there.
'Sweeping' a tire. I suggest start learning by doing to the front tire first... as you're rolling along, reach down and lightly run your fingers down on the tire, in front of the fork/brake.
One learns to do this without even glancing down, in a peloton, eyes on what's happening.
A light touch, enough to loosen and kick off anything on the tire - fingertips (section of finger past the last joint before the very tip). Once you have that in good stead, you can learn for rear.
a bit more difficult, worth practicing when you aren't distracted by road or close proximity of others.
same idea as front - but you reach back - while looking ahead - I recommend reaching back high to the seatstay, hook your thumb on it and slide your hand down the tube... Fingers down and inward to where the tire is. You'll eventually make contact with the tire. Again, light, slightly firm touch allowing the fingers to dislodge stuff.
In 3 to 5 seconds depending on your speed, is enough for a few full turns of the wheel.
Don;t go so far down the wheel that your hand gets pulled between the wheel/tire and seattube... that hurts and will cause you to fall over...
It becomes second nature, and will greatly reduce the chance and number of flats !
Sat and especially Sunday mornings in Central Park, was always many riders 'training' and on Sunday at 6 am - pickup races, if there was nothing on the regular race calendar.
Also area by the boathouse, the benches always was a hangout for riders, especially older guys who had been racers... a long time ago... hope it's a tradition which has persisted.
Good place to learn about riding & bikes.... also happened in Prospect Park...
Ride On
Yuri
EDIT: I still 'sweep' tires often, while riding, especially in the winter or 'wet'. when roads are especially gritty. Somehow wet tires seem to pickup more grit...
Even bike lanes are trouble. Strong vehicle traffic tends to kick the loose stuff over to the side, where we ride... on known routes there are stopss where a good tire sweep seems mandatory... but even on new rides, I sweep often...

Last edited by cyclezen; 06-07-24 at 09:07 AM.
Old 06-07-24, 09:49 AM

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Liked 4,105 Times in 2,650 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
My friend, Al, was "sweeping" off his rear tire one day and through inattention his hand got jammed between the rear tire and seat tube. That hand was in a real hurt for about a week.
FWIW, eventually it becomes instinctual and presents no issues as long as one is paying attention to what they are doing.
My "rule" - always locate the seatstay before wiping the tire. The Fuji Pro I raced in the '70s didn't remotely have enough distance between seattube and tire to accommodate my fingers. And I always wiped with my right (very predominate) hand. So forgetting that seatstay location just once could have been life changing.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 06-07-24, 10:54 AM
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Liked 3,849 Times in 1,910 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
"Sweeping" a tire while riding to prevent punctures is, um, controversial.

Most punctures happen almost instantly, so sweeping the tire is akin to closing the barn door after the horse is gone. It may give you the feeling that you're doing something useful, but it likely does nothing.

Old 06-07-24, 01:06 PM

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Liked 4,105 Times in 2,650 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse

Most punctures happen almost instantly, so sweeping the tire is akin to closing the barn door after the horse is gone. It may give you the feeling that you're doing something useful, but it likely does nothing.
The flats from short tire wires and small pieces of glass are not instantaneous at all. May take days. They were a real percentage of my flats before I started using sealant. Probably more than 50%.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 06-07-24, 05:08 PM

Liked 5,302 Times in 3,268 Posts
It’s the dumbest thing I’ve heard in ages. Totally nuts.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 06-07-24, 05:57 PM
OM boy

Controversial ? Not really, it's just something done or not... There's no 'proof', science or evidence of any kind either for or against..
Most riders don;t know about it, and some who do, decide not to.
Back when I was doing 12 to 15K miles a year, getting flats was not only costly for those who paid for their sewups, but also 'event ending' (as is getting a flat today...).
It's not something we would use in competition, except in the case of long circuit races where course management was always not fully handled.
My own judgement is that it does reduce the number of flats due to penetration of small objects. And the small things which cause these flats do collect in bunches ...
Each can make their own judgments.
You obviously never find yourself riding thru some glass residue, remaining from a broken bottle or whatever... But if you do, your only option is to shout 'OH SH&# !!!' and soldier on ?
All the 'experts' will make their pronouncements, whatever...
I'm convinced it has always worked for me, in the long run, a skill I employ on every ride.
Along those lines, I always do a quick check of tires at the end of every ride; and at any extended 'stop' on a ride... An easy precaution.
Ride On
Yuri
Old 06-07-24, 06:41 PM
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Liked 3,849 Times in 1,910 Posts
Controversial ? Not really, it's just something done or not...
Controversial: prone to public disagreement.

There's public disagreement over whether wiping off your tire with a gloved hand does anything to prevent punctures.

Old 06-07-24, 07:03 PM

Liked 3,286 Times in 1,870 Posts
There's absolutely no way to know whether using your gloved or bare hand or your fingertips (the technique I used for my first 40 years of riding on tubulars and then on comparable clinchers) periodically to clean the tire makes any difference whatsoever in the incidence of punctures.

The late Jobst Brandt, for what it's worth, believed the practice to be pointless, and expressed himself on the topic in his familiar not-suffering-fools-gladly style.

Just his opinion, of course. But his reasoning seemed sound, so I stopped cleaning my tires with my fingertips. About 20 years ago. Did I have any flats since then that I wouldn't have had if I'd continued to clean the tires? Doubt it, but who knows?

It's (usually) harmless to clean the tires while riding, though, so there's no reason to stop if you enjoy doing so.
Old 06-07-24, 10:47 PM
OM boy

Controversial: prone to public disagreement.

There's public disagreement over whether wiping off your tire with a gloved hand does anything to prevent punctures.
"Controversial is used to describe someone or something that causes people to get upset and argue. Controversial is the adjective form of the noun controversy, which is a prolonged dispute, debate, or state of contention, especially one that unfolds in public and involves a stark difference of opinion." dictionary.com

I'm sorry if you're upset...

Ride On
Yuri
Likes For cyclezen:
Old 06-07-24, 11:22 PM
OM boy

apparently, there was a thread and a poll on 'Does anyone still sweep their tire?" all the way back in '23
https://m.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1269597
seems there were, at that time, more sweepers than non.- which of course has absolutely no force of knowledge,
... does unweighting your saddle and bars, when you're suddenly confronted by a surprise sharp edge/joint/pavement reduce your chance of getting a pinch flat or or worse, dinging a rim (Alu - I don;t know/imagine what happens to a carbon rim when it strikes an unforgiving edge...) ???

.it's your ride, do it your way...
Ride On
Yuri
Old 06-07-24, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by Fredo76
Looks like a previous fix gone bad, to me, and an unlikely successful repair. You could take it off and have a look. Or just get new ones.

Tubular Road Tires Cycling Products - BikeTiresDirect

Tires | Wheels and tyres | Bikeinn (tradeinn.com)

I've ordered from both these vendors without any problems. Shipping will be about $24 from bikeinn in the UK, but they have some nice prices, and a huge selection. I've used Vittoria Rallys and Corsa Controls, and Continental Giros. Make sure you get ones with removable valve cores so that you can use sealant. I also use Jantax tape instead of glue. No muss, no fuss. I find sew-ups easier to deal with than many modern clinchers. And they are just so cool - always were.

You have the good taste to avoid all-black ones, right?
No black tires, correct.
The tires that are on there now, (Hutchinson Tempo 2) probably aren't around anymore? What level of tire is this , a good tire a very good tire? do you know? I like how they feel well enough, course I can't compared this I've never ridden on tubulars. I'd love as many recommendations I can get, for Mavic GEL 280 wheels size 700 ? , I can put this question in the racing sub category, I guess. Of the tires you used which one do you like the ride the best and which one do you think may be the most appropriate for riding in the city . And always sew-ups right? , no modern compromises.
thank you
Old 06-08-24, 08:25 AM

Bikes: 1978 Bruce Gordon, 1977 Lippy, 199? Lippy tandem, Bike Friday NWT, 1982 Trek 720, 2012 Rivendell Atlantis, 1983 Bianchi Specialissima?

Liked 190 Times in 114 Posts
No black tires, correct.
The tires that are on there now, (Hutchinson Tempo 2) probably aren't around anymore? What level of tire is this , a good tire a very good tire? do you know? I like how they feel well enough, course I can't compared this I've never ridden on tubulars. I'd love as many recommendations I can get, for Mavic GEL 280 wheels size 700 ? , I can put this question in the racing sub category, I guess. Of the tires you used which one do you like the ride the best and which one do you think may be the most appropriate for riding in the city . And always sew-ups right? , no modern compromises.
thank you
Be careful on the bikeinn site, I am pretty sure a lot of those tires listed as "tubulars" are not actually tubulars as in sewups.
Old 06-08-24, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by L134
Be careful on the bikeinn site, I am pretty sure a lot of those tires listed as "tubulars" are not actually tubulars as in sewups.
thanks a lot for that comment.
I have to be aware of these things .because things change, and this is not exactly something everyone is looking for. but I want to get the real thing.

I'm thinking of straightening out the tire and seeing if the lump will disappear. I would then reapply it in the proper way. That is if the lump disappears. And just ride it around to get the feel of it. This is only if that lump completely disappears. When I first tested it, it did not have it . it developed, after a short time of riding so I agree that the tire has shifted, due to breaking.
Old 06-08-24, 12:24 PM
Wheelman

Bikes: 1982 Holdsworth Avanti (531), 1961 Holdsworth Cyclone

Liked 734 Times in 373 Posts
No black tires, correct.
<snip>
Of the tires you used which one do you like the ride the best and which one do you think may be the most appropriate for riding in the city . And always sew-ups right? , no modern compromises.
thank you
I've been using Vittoria Rubino Pro Graphene 2.0 28mm for the last couple of years.
I like them a lot - butyl tubes + removable cores - and some grip.
No issues riding London streets with them.

Vittoria says they're a training / road tyre, but I think they've just stopped making the tubular version.
You can however still buy some for around £50 - I got some at BikeInn 6 months back.
But they are only in all black

So I've just ordered the step up: Vittoria Corsa Control Graphene 2.0 28mm in Para / Black
Latex tubes + removable cores + more grip than standard Corsa.
In theory a better ride than the Rubino.
£60 at Condor Cycles or BikeInn
https://www.tradeinn.com/bikeinn/en/...re/140558719/p

Edit: Rubino are also fairly easy to install, just tight enough to need pulling hard, but not stupidly tight.

Last edited by Aardwolf; 06-08-24 at 12:28 PM.
Old 06-08-24, 02:06 PM

Liked 1,775 Times in 1,032 Posts
Years ago, a friend of mine imported a very big batch of Tufo tubulars at very good prices, He sold them to friends at prices as low as $8 for the basic ones and $12 for the more expensive ones. The only downside to a Tufo tubular at that time was that they are not sewups, they are tubeless tubular tires and the only way to repair them was to use sealant. Sealant wasn't anywhere as good then as it is now. I rode Tufo tubulars for several years, the only complaint I had was (1) they only came in very narrow widths, and (2) they didn't seem to have the same grip that other common tubulars had. I still have a set of wheels with Campagnolo hubs and Ambrosia Nemesis 36 hole rims that were at the time pretty much the go to setup for Paris Roubaix. They are a bit heavy for tubular wheels(don't forget 36 spokes) but they would be great for bad roads(actually I don't know why people seem to think that city streets are any rougher than country roads) Tubeless tubular tires like Tufos may well be the next coming thing if other tire manufacturers adopt their tubeless approach using modern sealant and tire plugs used for tubeless clinchers

Last edited by alcjphil; 06-08-24 at 02:11 PM.
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 06-08-24, 02:35 PM

Liked 5,302 Times in 3,268 Posts

I'm thinking of straightening out the tire and seeing if the lump will disappear. I would then reapply it in the proper way. That is if the lump disappears. And just ride it around to get the feel of it. This is only if that lump completely disappears. When I first tested it, it did not have it . it developed, after a short time of riding so I agree that the tire has shifted, due to breaking.
That tire is only fit for the garbage and riding on it will only be risking a crash.
Old 06-08-24, 02:53 PM

Liked 718 Times in 488 Posts
Years ago when I was living in Rome I rode around on a Colnago with tubulars.

It was very romantic conceptually but it sucked ass.

​​​​
Old 06-08-24, 02:55 PM
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr., Libertas mixte

Liked 1,039 Times in 494 Posts
No black tires, correct.
thank you
The Vittoria Rally and the Continental Giro are probably about the same level as your old Hutchinsons. I have each in 23mm and like them fine. The 'best ride' comes from my Vittoria Corsa Control Graphene 2.0 in 28mm and 30mm, but two things: 1) some people prefer a hard and solid ride to tires that are the least bit squirmy. 2) larger sizes than 25mm may not fit your Gios Torino (very nice, btw!) with enough clearance. Butyl tubes may be preferable to topping off every day, but it's really up to you. Get some Stan's sealant and Jantax tape, too, unless you really prefer the 'old school' ways.

Most importantly, have fun!
Likes For Fredo76:
Old 06-08-24, 03:22 PM

Liked 1,913 Times in 1,060 Posts
You obviously never find yourself riding thru some glass residue, remaining from a broken bottle or whatever... But if you do, your only option is to shout 'OH SH&# !!!' and soldier on ?
As inconvenient as a flat is, I'd still much rather that glass sliver go into my tire than my hand.
Old 06-08-24, 04:28 PM

Liked 900 Times in 446 Posts
I ran tubulars for years, largely because I liked vintage bikes. No “pro” road bike of the 70’s or 80’s came with clinchers. I used these bikes for commuting, and for long fitness rides, and had learned how to install tubulars in my days working in a bike shop. I wouldn’t argue they were better or worse than anything else, only that changing a tire was less convenient.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.