Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Are you a salty and high volume sweater?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-09, 11:46 AM
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
When I get in from a ride Sam likes to lick the salt off my legs for 5 minutes.

Old 06-11-09, 11:54 AM
A Righteous Dude!

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Stumpjumper 29 HT and a 2005 Felt F55

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The Margarita flavor has salt added and they are actually pretty tasty, I like them.
Old 06-11-09, 12:06 PM
Stand and Deliver

Bikes: Cannondale R1000, Giant TCR Advanced, Giant TCR Advanced SL

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I probably have too much salt in my diet already, so I'm not sure how much I'd want to add by tablets or other sources. I notice the salt deposits on the helmet straps, but this is normal. I'm drenched with sweat after every ride, but I expect it in the lower to mid 90's. Plenty of fluids.

It does however create some problems on the bike. I have some pitting of the metal on the chainrings and brake levers. I've had to replace the brake cables with stainless steel cables to avoid further corrosion. Also had the spacers fuse to the steerer, which caused indexing. The bike shop solved that problem for me.
Old 06-11-09, 12:19 PM
OUTLAW BIKER

Bikes: Eddy Merckx team 7-11 Corsa Extra Full Dura Ace, 2015 Equalizer Electric Fat Tire Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mose
After several years of riding and running, and now dating a girl in a DPT program who minored in nutrition (who is also a competitive runner), I've come to the conclusion that I am indeed a salty sweater. And I've always been a heavy sweater. For some reason, I generate body heat at higher rates when exercising than anyone I know. In the winter when I go backcountry skiing, I need to take it down to a single baselayer in conditions down to 0F.

And when I sweat, I tend to lose salt like mad as well. My helmet straps always get coated. My face will have a salt crust. I've developed calf and quad cramps from minor hyponutremia before.

Anyone here like this? How do you handle it in terms of eating while riding? I think I'm ready to give salted potatos a try on my next ride.

Does anyone eat salted hardboiled eggs? I take those along skiing with me and they're great, but I've also read, and through experience learned that in cold weather, metabolizing fats yield higher body heat outputs. Maybe that'd be too hard to stomach in warm weather, and give the wrong effect.
Same here, I usually get some salty snacks on the long rides, with a drink like Gatorade and that always works great. I also go through 24 oz. bottles like crazy, my touring bike has 4 cages and I usually carry a quart of drink with me to start. Anything over 50 miles has me buying a gallon jug of water to re-fill the bottles. I'll get sick if I don't drink all the time in the hot weather. Gotta do what ya gotta do I guess.
Old 06-11-09, 12:22 PM
Killing Rabbits

Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by superdex
+2, on really hot days these save my bacon
But if you ate your bacon you would've had more than enough sodium.
Old 06-11-09, 12:31 PM
Has coddling tendencies.

Bikes: 2008 Blue RC8 w/ '09 Rival

Liked 59 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by patentcad
When I get in from a ride Sam likes to lick the salt off my legs for 5 minutes.
Beasteality is against the law.
Old 06-11-09, 12:39 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I sweat a lot of salt. On long hot rides I need added electrolytes. If the ride is long and hot enough, Endurolytes aren't enough, so I use salt tablets.

Before I figured it out I got hyponatremia on my first Death Ride. Finishing that was the hardest thing I've done.
Old 06-11-09, 12:42 PM
Stand and Deliver

Bikes: Cannondale R1000, Giant TCR Advanced, Giant TCR Advanced SL

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by KiddSisko
Beasteality is against the law.
+1.
Old 06-11-09, 12:43 PM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mose
no
Old 06-11-09, 01:43 PM

Bikes: Scattante CFR Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the same Powerbars and powergel work well because they have more sodium.
Old 06-11-09, 01:49 PM

Bikes: Scattante CFR Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can also mix your own sport drink with salt. Some sport drinks like Powerade don't have enough sodium for heavy sweaters.
Old 06-11-09, 02:19 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Guys if you are sweating "salty sweat" that is normal. No need to take in more salt or water. Its when your sweat is NOT salty you have an issue and need more salt.
Old 06-11-09, 02:27 PM
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Liked 1,265 Times in 718 Posts
Not as bad as you, but I found that endurolytes (electrolyte pills) help a lot on long, hot rides, as does drinking an electrolyte energy drink as well as plenty of water. You'll still sweat, of course, but the name of the game is replacing whatever you lose.

Failing that, try moving to Alaska or Siberia.
Old 06-11-09, 02:29 PM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by wfrogge
Guys if you are sweating "salty sweat" that is normal. No need to take in more salt or water. Its when your sweat is NOT salty you have an issue and need more salt.
Well of course to some degree that is true. Everyone's sweat is going to be salty but some will be more salty and some will be less salty. I have no data to back it up, but I don't think it would be going too far out on a limb to say that it probably follows some kind of normal distribution...

I am very much not a salty or high volume sweater. Therefore I drink less than many others and tend to avoid things with added sodium. If I take in too much sodium (and I mean even as little as what is in most sports drinks) I will retain water like crazy and feel extrememly bloated and uncomfortable. If it is very hot, such as 100F I will go through a bottle an hour but in most typical riding temps I'm more like 1/3 to 1/2 bottle per hour.
Old 06-11-09, 02:31 PM
Over the hill

True, but it means you are losing it, so logic says you should replace it as you keep going. It shouldn't be a problem on short rides, but it's important on long rides. Also, if your sweat becomes not salty, then it means you have already neglected the salt you needed. As a coach once told me, "drink before you get thirsty, eat before you get hungry".
Old 06-11-09, 02:57 PM
Still can't climb

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
True, but it means you are losing it, so logic says you should replace it as you keep going. It shouldn't be a problem on short rides, but it's important on long rides. Also, if your sweat becomes not salty, then it means you have already neglected the salt you needed. As a coach once told me, "drink before you get thirsty, eat before you get hungry".
this makes me fat. or did he mean only while riding?
Old 06-11-09, 02:59 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe, maybe not.... Depends on your sodium levels *like you say*.

With that logic if I drink a lot of beer and start sweating it out this must mean I need more beer... Wait thats usually true!
Old 06-11-09, 03:07 PM
Over the hill

Originally Posted by coasting
this makes me fat. or did he mean only while riding?
Only while riding, but I go the extra mile too

Maybe, maybe not.... Depends on your sodium levels *like you say*.

With that logic if I drink a lot of beer and start sweating it out this must mean I need more beer... Wait thats usually true!
Yeah, it's not one size fits all, but it's a good general rule. Most riders dehydrate themselves more than they need to while riding.
Old 06-11-09, 03:19 PM
Hills hurt.. Couches kill

Bikes: 1991 Specialized Sirrus Triple, 2010 Trek Madone 6.5 Project One, 2012 Cannondale Caad10, 2013 Trek Crockett

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Yeah, I'm pretty salty and sweaty, helmet straps get all crusted up as well. However, I think I get plenty of salt in my diet, I can't imagine intentionally having to take in more. However, I do drink Gatoraid double strength in my bottle so I'm sure that more than replaces anything I lose. My problems come from just not drinking enough, starts with a dull headache in the base of my skull. The problem with drinking a bunch is that often (especially on bumpier roads) I end up needing to pee a lot.
Old 06-11-09, 03:27 PM
half man - half sheep

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by umd
no
I wouldn't be either if [&when] I lived in SoCal. Temps in Texas above 97 with humidity and I'm looking for cows so I can steal their salt blocks.
Old 06-11-09, 03:30 PM
umd
Banned

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Doggus
I wouldn't be either if [&when] I lived in SoCal. Temps in Texas above 97 with humidity and I'm looking for cows so I can steal their salt blocks.
It has nothing to do with where I live. I just don't sweat as much as others that I ride with. When it is hot I do sweat more of course, but still not as much as someone else who would sweat even more still...
Old 06-11-09, 03:39 PM
Over the hill

Originally Posted by Doggus
Plenty of parts of So Cal have many days over 100*.
Old 06-11-09, 03:42 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I sweat very little. I don't even use anti-perspirant.

I urinate a lot though.
Old 06-11-09, 03:44 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think I'm pretty average about sweating but for some reason I always perceive myself to be warm while others around me say they're cold.
Old 06-11-09, 03:48 PM
half man - half sheep

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Plenty of parts of So Cal have many days over 100*.
I've lived in Coastal SoCal. Not hot.

You must have been referring to the Mojave National Preserve. Hot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.