Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

New Wheels won't stay true

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

New Wheels won't stay true

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-15, 01:44 PM

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Liked 326 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Jarrett2
Excel Sports will hand build you a set for $437 that will last a loooong time. But I still think those Velocity's that I linked above are a really solid deal as well.
They built me a set (Open Pro, DT 14/15 Competition, 32 hole 1996 Chorus hubs)
where the rear didn't have enough tension to stay true under my 150 pounds and the front folded on a small bump for the same reason (wheels taco when a bump unloads the spokes, the rim no longer has lateral support so it moves off center, and the rim springs back while still off center).

I started building my own wheels after that, and begin joking about avoiding wheel builders on their first and last week with companies.

If you get Robert Shackelford aka MrRabbit, Peter White, pcad, or some other reputable one person operation (listed in no particular order) you're guaranteed to get the person who earned the reputation.
Old 08-13-15, 01:48 PM

Bikes: Steel 1x's

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Was this in 1996?

My experience with them (in 2014/2015) has not been the same. They've built some of the best wheels I've seen thus far.

If you want a one man shop, Joe Young also builds a mean set of wheels.
Old 08-13-15, 01:57 PM

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Liked 326 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Jarrett2
Was this in 1996?
Early 1997 before they got Campagnolo 9 speed parts.
Old 08-13-15, 01:59 PM

Bikes: Steel 1x's

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'm sure they haven't gotten any better at building wheels in the last 18 years
Old 08-13-15, 07:44 PM

Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by sriley4290
Luckily, that is the next option, to rebuild from the rim up. if rebuilding them doesn't work I will take them to a 2nd shop. might replace, but at this point definitely going to have the 1st shop do the full rebuild as it won't cost me anything but time, and i have a crosstrail hybrid I can ride in the mean time. I know we have talked about spoke tension, and they put the meter on each spoke, both drive side and Non drive side, but not sure if they tensioned them accordingly, or just made sure they were "within limits" I wasn't watching as closely as I should have been. I am still learning about advanced(to me) bike maintenance like this.
I would reverse the order of these options.

Wheel building is not something I would recommend to somebody who is "still learning about advnced (to him) bike maintenance." Those of us who do build wheels have climbed what was originally a steep learning curve to do it efficiently.

Wheel building is a wonderful skill to acquire. The best way is taking lessons from somebody who is already proficient. There's too much tactile feedback to the process than can be explained in a book or video.
Old 08-13-15, 08:05 PM

Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
At your weight and strength you need 36 double butted spokes on a heavier rim en the Open Pro. I have had good luck with Open Sports. They are a little heavier so they are a little stronger. I built one for a friend who was as heavy as 250.
Old 08-13-15, 08:29 PM

Bikes: Borealis Echo, Ground Up Designs Ti Cross bike, Xtracycle, GT mod trials bike, pixie race machine

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Drew nailed it. A sloppy build is your problem, not the component choices.

At 235, there is no reason a 32 spoke wheel is not capable of supporting your weight. I weigh around 220 and ride singletrack on my 32h road wheels without issue so the problem is not spoke count. I also have a lot of time on Open Pros and while I now prefer the Velocity A23 for its width and tubeless capability, the Open Pro held up great for me when I used that rim.
Old 08-14-15, 04:59 AM

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Appalachian, 1998 Litespeed BlueRidge.. 1977? Schwinn LeTour 12.2 'Rain Daze'

Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by davidad
At your weight and strength you need 36 double butted spokes on a heavier rim en the Open Pro. I have had good luck with Open Sports. They are a little heavier so they are a little stronger. I built one for a friend who was as heavy as 250.
Th internet parrot/s sing...........

While a 36 would give an added measure of durability BUILT right... no REASON a well built 32 isn't enough.. by miles.

Not bothering to wade thru the blizzard of parrot platter, I ask what flavor of spoke was used? Smells like the wind-up brand and a noob who doesn't not understand spoke wind-up.
Old 08-14-15, 11:54 AM
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by sriley4290
but at this point definitely going to have the 1st shop do the full rebuild.
The same guys that have gotten it wrong three times already?
Old 08-14-15, 12:46 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SquidPuppet
The same guys that have gotten it wrong three times already?
well only so that when I do go to return them, I have tried everything. if this doesn't work I will do 1 of 2 things. get a refund or take them somewhere else and Pay to have someone re build them. I just need to find a good builder near me.
Old 08-14-15, 12:47 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Aladin
Smells like the wind-up brand and a noob who doesn't not understand spoke wind-up.
not sure what that means.
Old 08-14-15, 12:47 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SBinNYC
I would reverse the order of these options.

Wheel building is not something I would recommend to somebody who is "still learning about advnced (to him) bike maintenance." Those of us who do build wheels have climbed what was originally a steep learning curve to do it efficiently.

Wheel building is a wonderful skill to acquire. The best way is taking lessons from somebody who is already proficient. There's too much tactile feedback to the process than can be explained in a book or video.
Yea I wasn't talking about me rebuilding them...hehe I wouldn't even know where to begin right now. down the road I would love to get into that. right now I just want wheels that will stay true.