Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

I Just Don't Understand...

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

I Just Don't Understand...

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-18, 01:39 PM
-

Bikes: yes!

Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
got no patience for punk kids in Cadillacs!

JIC you had/have issue with one of these vehicles and wish to identify, that's a Chrysler emblem, on what I believe is a Chrysler 300.
Old 04-04-18, 01:43 PM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Liked 3,612 Times in 2,360 Posts
Originally Posted by seeker333
JIC you had/have issue with one of these vehicles and wish to identify, that's a Chrysler emblem, on what I believe is a Chrysler 300.
oh, hey thanks!
Old 04-04-18, 01:47 PM
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
I'm glad my Oregon town is boring *but not Boring, Oregon.
Old 04-04-18, 02:51 PM

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
A very similar thing happened to my daughter (30) recently. She was in traffic and a person actually changed lanes to sideswipe her.

She heard a lot of brakes from other cars, She is also pretty sure the person who hit her had a nice pedal scratch along his car. I had her report it to the police. However, no one had reported the cars license number and she was unable to remember it.

That got me thinking and I have added a dash cam to my car. That way if I happen to see something like that I will have a video record to send to the police. Of course, the fact that I now have an impartial, subpoena-able, witness riding with me probably has an impact on my driving; but that's okay with me.

I have also encouraged her to add a helmet, or handle bar, camera.
Old 04-04-18, 03:05 PM

Liked 16,249 Times in 7,631 Posts
How were you able to determine his intent?
Old 04-04-18, 03:56 PM

Bikes: 2015 Cannondale Synapse Ultegra Disc, 1999 Gary Fisher Marlin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Everyone for your thoughts

I was travelling about 15MPH and the truck came up behind and to my side and slowed down to match my speed while I was just trying to keep it all together (it's pretty weird (for me anyway) to see a vehicle *that* close while riding). The passenger looked back at me put his arm out and they both yelled something that I could not understand. In retrospect I think at this point *if* I had hit the brakes I might have been able to stop faster than him, but may fate might have been sealed at that point, I don't know. In any case, after the gesture (I don't think it was the typical "good luck" sign) the truck moved *further* into the road apron (and into me).

The driver of the car that was following (unfortunately too far away to get a plate number) stated to someone else at the scene that it was definitely deliberate. I'm very thankful for that driver - she was awesome - and she was the one who called 911 since I was not able to.

I don't think this jerk will be identified. I'm perturbed - not so much for me (I'm recovering), but the next cyclist this clown does this to may not be as lucky as I...

Oh, and full disclosure...I drive an F-250 so I don't think I'm anti truck

[MENTION=114951]dabac[/MENTION] - Thanks for mentioning your experience with the pain killers - I hadn't thought about the ramifications of *not* taking the pain pills (at least initially) and I was in the process of blowing them off due to the other side effects. I have reconsidered based upon wise words.

Going forward, The Chief-of-staff (who has been amazing) has put the kibosh on me cycling alone anymore (and I agree). She has also insisted on some camera equipment when the time comes. I'm looking at the offerings from Cycliq (front and rear). Perhaps overkill but...

Thanks again for everyone's thoughts and experiences!

-mikey
Old 04-04-18, 08:10 PM

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Hmmm... I don't do a camera, in part because I ride several bikes, and they all get locked, so I don't want to be constantly mounting and stripping the camera. Perhaps a helmet cam?

I hadn't thought of a no harassment law... there is probably an anti road-rage law that at least would apply to all.

I was thinking more along the lines of "no visible smoke" for the truck that smoked me, or "no littering" for the one that threw trash at me.

Back to the OP... I don't know if it is possible to hit someone and not notice it. Assuming they hadn't noticed the cyclist. Perhaps the driver was intoxicated, which, can fog judgement. And, of course, they may be with it enough to know that driving intoxicated and an accident, even minor could have serious consequences for themselves (without thinking of others).
Most cameras have quick release, so just buy mounts for all your bikes. They're not that expensive.
Old 04-04-18, 08:28 PM

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
I drive an F-150. Do you really think of me that way?
It's amusing that pickup drivers have gotten such a white-hillbilly-Klansman stereotype, when, at least for a few years, the F-150 was the most popular vehicle choice of openly gay men. Also currently number one for new car purchases among women and Hispanics in the Rocky Mountain states.
Old 04-04-18, 08:33 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert C
That got me thinking and I have added a dash cam to my car.
They're cheap enough now that I suspect when I get another car I'll fit it out with a good one forward facing and some of the <$20 ones, at least a rear facing, and maybe one to each side. Mounting them right at the tops of the windows keeps them out of the way, and proper dashcams should require zero user interaction unless/until something happens, so there's really no point in not having that extra peace of mind for well under $200. Really, under $100 if you don't mind using cheap ones all around.
Old 04-04-18, 08:36 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by EE_Phred
Going forward, The Chief-of-staff (who has been amazing) has put the kibosh on me cycling alone anymore (and I agree).
She actually gave you permission to go find a hot cyclist girlfriend? That's awesome!
Old 04-05-18, 03:07 PM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by EE_Phred
Thanks Everyone for your thoughts

I was travelling about 15MPH and the truck came up behind and to my side and slowed down to match my speed while I was just trying to keep it all together (it's pretty weird (for me anyway) to see a vehicle *that* close while riding). The passenger looked back at me put his arm out and they both yelled something that I could not understand. In retrospect I think at this point *if* I had hit the brakes I might have been able to stop faster than him, but may fate might have been sealed at that point, I don't know. In any case, after the gesture (I don't think it was the typical "good luck" sign) the truck moved *further* into the road apron (and into me).

The driver of the car that was following (unfortunately too far away to get a plate number) stated to someone else at the scene that it was definitely deliberate. I'm very thankful for that driver - she was awesome - and she was the one who called 911 since I was not able to.

I don't think this jerk will be identified. I'm perturbed - not so much for me (I'm recovering), but the next cyclist this clown does this to may not be as lucky as I...

Oh, and full disclosure...I drive an F-250 so I don't think I'm anti truck

[MENTION=114951]dabac[/MENTION] - Thanks for mentioning your experience with the pain killers - I hadn't thought about the ramifications of *not* taking the pain pills (at least initially) and I was in the process of blowing them off due to the other side effects. I have reconsidered based upon wise words.

Going forward, The Chief-of-staff (who has been amazing) has put the kibosh on me cycling alone anymore (and I agree). She has also insisted on some camera equipment when the time comes. I'm looking at the offerings from Cycliq (front and rear). Perhaps overkill but...

Thanks again for everyone's thoughts and experiences!

-mikey
Sad and despicable behaviour. I cannot really fathom what are these so called people thinking. Maybe they think they are invincible. And maybe they are just sad deprived characters, who knows. But there is karma, and it will catch up to them eventually. And I believe that he will be the one to have problems recovering when the karma gets him what he had done to others. Life has a way of doing just that.

Hang in there and get better, all the best wishes for your recovery. Keep riding. Maybe if it is legal in your state consider open carrying? That would probably deter 99% of these types. Just a thought. Get well soon.
Old 04-05-18, 03:35 PM

Liked 448 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by whitecat
The soceity as a whole is going swiftly down the drain. There are p rics all around us, and they seem to multiply in numbers. Deep breaths, relax and move on. They also forget that a lot of cyclists also drive.

My experience has been just the opposite. In my area, drivers on average are much more aware of, and considerate of, cyclists than they were 20 years ago. That's not to say I don't have negative interactions with motorists (and, to be fair, the odd cyclist) on occasion, but overall the trend has been positive over the past couple of decades.

It is however true, I think (meaning, I have no data), that the attitudes of those inclined to be radically anti-cyclist (anti-anything, really) have hardened over the past decades, in my opinion due to the easy access these people have to validating opinions of like-minded individuals via social media.

-------------
Old 04-05-18, 03:51 PM

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Sad and despicable behaviour. I cannot really fathom what are these so called people thinking. Maybe they think they are invincible. And maybe they are just sad deprived characters, who knows. But there is karma, and it will catch up to them eventually. And I believe that he will be the one to have problems recovering when the karma gets him what he had done to others. Life has a way of doing just that.
I know a lot of people love to invoke karma, but my theory based upon a lifetime of observation is that people who do this kind of thing (aggressive and abusive driving as well as being a general a-hole in other aspects of life) usually have a life that sucks already (due to their own actions) and want to take it out on others.
Old 04-05-18, 04:21 PM
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
The last time a stranger in a truck pulled up beside me and matched my speed it was summer and about 115F. I was wary and ready for the worst, but the passenger reached out window with an fresh icy cold gatorade and offered it to me. I was extremely appreciative, but had to decline as I had no place to stash it as my WB holders were full.
Old 04-05-18, 04:37 PM
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
For lack of a better word, COOL. I have baskets and panniers, my bikes are my cars more or less.
Old 04-05-18, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by noisebeam
The last time a stranger in a truck pulled up beside me and matched my speed it was summer and about 115F. I was wary and ready for the worst, but the passenger reached out window with an fresh icy cold gatorade and offered it to me. I was extremely appreciative, but had to decline as I had no place to stash it as my WB holders were full.
I would have drank it on the spot (sealed of course), or just accepted it, said thank you and dumped it later. However, that's something that each individual has to decide for themselves. Guess he was just attempting to change the attitude of the average PU driver?
Old 04-06-18, 04:03 AM

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Liked 3,750 Times in 1,975 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
I would have drank it on the spot (sealed of course), or just accepted it, said thank you and dumped it later. However, that's something that each individual has to decide for themselves. Guess he was just attempting to change the attitude of the average PU driver?
Or it contained drugs and he was just trying to kidnap another unsuspecting cyclist. We'll never know.
Old 04-06-18, 05:39 AM

Liked 4,574 Times in 3,398 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
I heard a lot of big rig drivers have bottles of yellow liquid they carry with them.

Make sure your bottle isn't warm before you guzzle it down.
Old 04-06-18, 05:45 AM

The soceity as a whole is going swiftly down the drain. There are p rics all around us, and they seem to multiply in numbers. Deep breaths, relax and move on. They also forget that a lot of cyclists also drive.
Originally Posted by noimagination
My experience has been just the opposite. In my area, drivers on average are much more aware of, and considerate of, cyclists than they were 20 years ago. That's not to say I don't have negative interactions with motorists (and, to be fair, the odd cyclist) on occasion, but overall the trend has been positive over the past couple of decades.

It is however true, I think (meaning, I have no data), that the attitudes of those inclined to be radically anti-cyclist (anti-anything, really) have hardened over the past decades, in my opinion due to the easy access these people have to validating opinions of like-minded individuals via social media.
-------------
I have to say that I think society in general is slowly progressing towards more acceptance and tolerance of all.

However, there are always a few outliers.

Perhaps there is increasing polarization with the good getting better, and the bad getting worse.
Old 04-06-18, 10:09 AM

Liked 448 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
I have to say that I think society in general is slowly progressing towards more acceptance and tolerance of all.

However, there are always a few outliers.

Perhaps there is increasing polarization with the good getting better, and the bad getting worse.
Interesting postulate.

Of course, you make the assumption that tolerance is "good" and intolerance is "bad". This is not a view that is accepted by all, and in the past xenophobia was often a survival trait. It remains to be seen whether it is no longer a survival trait. (Not that this assumption affects your basic postulate - i.e. that the tolerant are becoming more tolerant, and the intolerant are also becoming more intolerant.)

Personally, I agree that tolerance is a positive trait, but I don't have any data to back up this view. Maybe intolerance, in the long run, would be more positive in the sense that it could cause more wars, reducing the human population and leaving more resources for the survivors.

-------------
Old 04-07-18, 02:31 PM
-

Bikes: yes!

Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by KD5NRH
It's amusing that pickup drivers have gotten such a white-hillbilly-Klansman stereotype, when, at least for a few years, the F-150 was the most popular vehicle choice of openly gay men. Also currently number one for new car purchases among women and Hispanics in the Rocky Mountain states.
Ford F-series trucks have been the best selling motor vehicle in USA every single year since 1981, so virtually any demographic is going to be driving a bunch of F-150s.
Old 04-07-18, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by seeker333
Ford F-series trucks have been the best selling motor vehicle in USA every single year since 1981, so virtually any demographic is going to be driving a bunch of F-150s.
Except those that drive F250 and F350 pickups, and the 3/4 and 1 ton Dodge Rams.
Old 04-07-18, 03:24 PM
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Liked 340 Times in 225 Posts
I have never been hit by a motor vehicle at more than walking speed, and never crashed or got hurt in any event. That being said, a couple of years ago I determined that thanks to cell phone addiction (mostly) the mean streets of America were just too much to bare anymore. So I gave up 100% of recreational cycling. I don't own a car so I still bike to work and other utilitarian trips, but never ONE MINUTE more than absolutely necessary and I take some very roundabout routes to avoid the motorized knuckleheads.

Just wanted to thank you for reinforcing my reasoning. My wife thanks you as well.

Heal fast bro. Maybe try a helmet-mounted rear-view mirror. (Not to start a mirror war on your thread. Just a suggestion).
Old 04-07-18, 03:52 PM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
I have never been hit by a motor vehicle at more than walking speed, and never crashed or got hurt in any event. That being said, a couple of years ago I determined that thanks to cell phone addiction (mostly) the mean streets of America were just too much to bare anymore. So I gave up 100% of recreational cycling. I don't own a car so I still bike to work and other utilitarian trips, but never ONE MINUTE more than absolutely necessary and I take some very roundabout routes to avoid the motorized knuckleheads.

Just wanted to thank you for reinforcing my reasoning. My wife thanks you as well.

Heal fast bro. Maybe try a helmet-mounted rear-view mirror. (Not to start a mirror war on your thread. Just a suggestion).
Just wanted to say its nice to see you still being here. Remember your videos from way back, very inspirational. Keep on riding, and keep on being crash free. As a side note - I can get what you are pointing at, but I will not let anyone get me off the high that is recreational cycling. If its meant to be, better to go out in a crash then from obesity on a couch - just my opinion.
Old 04-07-18, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by AlexanderLS
Cycliq cameras are the only ones that make a good amount of sense for cyclists.
The other cameras out there are lucky to get two hours of grainy footage. Not due to storage limitation but battery limitations.
Not technically since there are a variety of extended battery alternative (up to 20Xs for Gopros)
I wish Cycliq could make some budget camera options with long battery life.

This is all just a strong reminder why I prefer riding off road. Being next to vehicles is nerve racking at times and then there is the occasional deranged individual like in OP.
You mean cycling trails? Mountain biking is more dangerous, statistically speaking.
Originally Posted by JoeyBike

That's sad, and only reinforces the issue. Still, I must admit it is a decision each individual has to make for themselves.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.