Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Who does 1X on freewheel or free hub?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Who does 1X on freewheel or free hub?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-23, 01:22 PM
Polymultiplié

Bikes: Yes, please.

Liked 4,917 Times in 1,837 Posts
The one 1x project I have planned is this one. Already 1x, so no biggie.

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 10-25-23, 09:33 PM
The Huffmeister

Bikes: 1965 dept store special, 1972 basket case, 1978 garden ornament, 1980 garbage heap, 1987 mutt, 1996 frankenstein

Liked 3,867 Times in 1,563 Posts
Lots of great, high quality replies in this thread.

nlerner what a fun idea for a bell, mounting on a shift boss. I like that.

Lenton58 I know that I have never heard of 'Simplon' before, but I wonder if one of our fellow bicycle encyclopedia members, juvela may have heard a casual mention once or twice? Some members really dig the super obscure bikes, and love the challenge of digging up info on them. Any pictures you can share?

I'm happy with my 38 x 12-32 combo on the Ironman, as it does everything I really want it do, especially with all the hilly terrain around here.

Old 10-25-23, 10:39 PM

Bikes: Vitus 979, Simplon 4-Star, Woodrup, Gazelle AB, Dawes Atlantis

Liked 75 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by AdventureManCO;23052687. >>>SNIP>>>
[utag=150017
Lenton58[/utag] I know that I have never heard of 'Simplon' before, but I wonder if one of our fellow bicycle encyclopedia members, juvela may have heard a casual mention once or twice? Some members really dig the super obscure bikes, and love the challenge of digging up info on them. Any pictures you can share? >>>SHIP>>>
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll contact 'juvela'.

I've not looked them up recently, but a few years ago Simplon was still going in Switzerland. They specialize in high grade, competition MTB's. From what little I gathered years ago, Simplon was emanation from a company that built boats. Somehow at sometime, they got into bicycles. They made a number of level-graded sports bikes — the highest being a "Five Star". My notes state that the 5-Star had a fretted-out Cinelli BB shell. The one photo I have of this species suggests a mouth watering, exotic, custom built frame. Mine is a Four Star (56x54) in Reynolds 531. The forks and stays are chromium plated. There is chromium plating under the painted portions as well. The dropouts are Campagnolo.

I intend to post photos of this bike after I get it reconfigured. I'll post notice here in this thread.
Old 10-26-23, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by USAZorro
Why not just run a 7 or 8 speed IGH? Yes, it's a bit heavier, but chainline is always perfect and you get a decent range of options that can be attenuated by selecting cog and ring size.
This is a very good recommendation. I have thought about such a build, but not for this frame. I have a lot of questions about how you set up a chain line with IGH, but I am interested in the idea.
Old 11-02-23, 04:50 PM

Thanks to all those members who wrote in with their suggestions and experiences with 1x builds. This 'refit' has worked out well. The gearing feels about what I was aiming for. After straightening the derailleur hanger, the shifting is pretty smooth on the 7 speed cassette, but it requires some careful movement with some trimming — especially going up to the bigger cogs. It does not appear that I need a 'narrow-wide' chainwheel. The best chainline is right on the middle of the cassette which corresponds to a very useful 16T cog. 42 on 16T yields a very useful 70.9 gear inches.

Chainwheel: 42T
Cassette: 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19, 21T

Here are three photos of one of the rarest frames on Bike Forums: Reynolds 531. 56x54. Entirely chrome plated. Campagolo dropouts. A mixture of parts including Campagnolo, SunTour, Sugino75, Nitto, DiaCompe, Mavic, Brooks, MKS, Shimano. (I can't afford contemporary group-sets.) Original paint. Sorry for the mismatched Vittorio tubs ... hahaha.

Outside a nearby Buddhist 'Otera'

The Simplon 'S' pantograph as an uncoiling snake

Sugino-75 DR shifting a vintage Shimano 7-speed cassette. Shimano 600 freehub
Likes For Lenton58: