Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Lugged steel frame mostly hype...or worth the upgrade?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Lugged steel frame mostly hype...or worth the upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-11, 08:40 AM

Bikes: Kirk

Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
But was the issue frame material or something else?

Steel bikes have tremendous merit for many types of cycling. Is it the best material for all kinds of riding, no. Are steel bikes always junk, hardly.

See: https://www.colnago.com/bikes/2011/master-x-light

Michael
I think you make a very good point.

I'm not sure why it is that so many will reference a very old steel bike as if it represents ALL steel bikes - both old and new - and use it as a comparison to a modern carbon/ti/aluminum bike. All the popular frame materials have evolved over the years and it's really a narrow minded way to look at it. Comparing a 20-30 year old steel bike, made from Columbus SL/SP, to a modern carbon bike is inaccurate at best. It would be like comparing a modern steel bike to a Exxon Graphtec carbon bike of the 80's. It was a carbon bike but it sucked in most every way and most any steel bike would be a step up.

I think if people compare a modern steel bike to a modern bike of any other material and they like the other material better then that has real merit.......... but one needs to compare apples to apples or the whole deal is moot.

I personally think that a great bike can be made from many different materials and it's not the material that one should focus on but it's what the designer/builder does with it.

Dave
Old 01-06-11, 09:37 AM

Bikes: Schwinns

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dave Kirk
I think you make a very good point.

I'm not sure why it is that so many will reference a very old steel bike as if it represents ALL steel bikes - both old and new - and use it as a comparison to a modern carbon/ti/aluminum bike. All the popular frame materials have evolved over the years and it's really a narrow minded way to look at it. Comparing a 20-30 year old steel bike, made from Columbus SL/SP, to a modern carbon bike is inaccurate at best. It would be like comparing a modern steel bike to a Exxon Graphtec carbon bike of the 80's. It was a carbon bike but it sucked in most every way and most any steel bike would be a step up.

I think if people compare a modern steel bike to a modern bike of any other material and they like the other material better then that has real merit.......... but one needs to compare apples to apples or the whole deal is moot.

I personally think that a great bike can be made from many different materials and it's not the material that one should focus on but it's what the designer/builder does with it.

Dave
Richard Schwinn said very similar things a few years ago on Georgena Terry's podcast.

https://www.cyclelicio.us/2008/04/ric...le-frames.html
Old 01-06-11, 09:45 AM
Dropped

Liked 21 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Trucker Dan
I have a 1984 531 trek 720 . Its flexy, buzzy, and generally rides like crap. I never understood all the steel love. Then I picked up a 1990 slx derosa for cheep. The ride was amazing. It was laterally stiff yet vertically compliant. It was better than sex.
Moral of the story: All steel is not created equal and steel bikes need to have italian magic applied to them to be worth a crap.
Apples to oranges, man. The '84 720 had 47cm chainstays! It's a touring bike...
Old 01-06-11, 09:46 AM

Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
I'll go along with Dave Kirk. Seeing as he is a MASTER builder of steel frames, and I want one Soooo bad!
Old 01-06-11, 09:48 AM
Dropped

Liked 21 Times in 18 Posts
OP should go for fillet brazed.

Someone in this thread brazed this:

Old 01-06-11, 12:15 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by milliron
I much prefer my mid level Ridley carbon bike to my lugged steel De Rosa Neo Primato. The Ridley is stiffer, more comfortable on rough roads (less vibration), lighter and less expensive. The De Rosa sits in a closet and I'll not be buying another steel frame.
I would take that De Rosa off your hands
Old 01-06-11, 12:33 PM
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Liked 955 Times in 626 Posts
Dave Kirk - What steel tubing do you like for lugged racing frames ?

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 01-06-11, 12:48 PM
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv

Steel bikes have tremendous merit for many types of cycling.
Yeah, I've had steel heads tell me this for 20 years. I have yet to see compelling evidence of this compared to titanium. I have had a bunch of titanium bikes, those all rocked (still own two of them).
Old 01-06-11, 12:53 PM
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by patentcad
Yeah, I've had steel heads tell me this for 20 years. I have yet to see compelling evidence of this compared to titanium. I have had a bunch of titanium bikes, those all rocked (still own two of them).
You can build a stiffer chainstay from steel.
Old 01-06-11, 02:32 PM

Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
Dave Kirk - What steel tubing do you like for lugged racing frames ?
Hey,

Thanks for the question.

The short answer is "it depends".

The longer is that I use mostly Reynolds brand tubes. I build bikes at two price points. The lower price point uses mostly Reynolds 725. I like 725 because there is a very good selection of diameters and wall thicknesses so I can meet the needs of most riders with it. For the upper price point (the JK Series) I use a mix of Reynolds 953, True Temper S3 and special 631 chain and set stays made for me by Reynolds. The JK Series ends up being a good bit lighter, has a stiffer drivetrain, and a slightly smoother ride than the 725 bikes.

Is that what you were looking for?

Dave
Old 01-06-11, 02:39 PM
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Liked 955 Times in 626 Posts
Hey,

Thanks for the question.

The longer is that I use mostly Reynolds brand tubes. I build bikes at two price points. The lower price point uses mostly Reynolds 725. I like 725 because there is a very good selection of diameters and wall thicknesses so I can meet the needs of most riders with it. For the upper price point (the JK Series) I use a mix of Reynolds 953, True Temper S3 and special 631 chain and set stays made for me by Reynolds. The JK Series ends up being a good bit lighter, has a stiffer drivetrain, and a slightly smoother ride than the 725 bikes.

Dave
Yes, thanks ... I haven't kept up with modern steel tubing, so was curious what is being used now-a-days.

I just looked up a bit about 953. It's stainless ? Can it be silver brazed in lugs ?

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html

Last edited by Homebrew01; 01-06-11 at 02:47 PM.
Old 01-06-11, 03:13 PM

Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Yes, thanks ... I haven't kept up with modern steel tubing, so was curious what is being used now-a-days.

I just looked up a bit about 953. It's stainless ? Can it be silver brazed in lugs ?
Like this? (Note: bike belongs to Scooper, also on these forums.)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
HeadTop.jpg (39.0 KB, 40 views)
Old 01-06-11, 03:29 PM

Liked 167 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by canam73
Like this? (Note: bike belongs to Scooper, also on these forums.)

That bike of Scooper's is beautiful. The lugs are Newvex (Richard Sachs), they look like the old Nervex Professional lugs. Scooper's 953 bike is polished 953 (stainless steel), looks like chrome. Here's the same area on my chrome '71 Schwinn Paramount with Nervex Professional lugs:

Front view of headtube on Paramount:

Old 01-06-11, 03:38 PM
Certifiable Bike "Expert"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
steel = hype
Old 01-06-11, 03:59 PM
ride lots be safe

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a custom lugged bike, love it.

The guy who built it for me, who is far closer to the retro-grouch end of the scale, his current bike is fillet brazed.

Buy the one you think is coolest / prettiest / meets your dream vision.

FWIW, 2 cents etc.
Old 01-06-11, 04:08 PM
Designer

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Elantr025
I certainly LOVE the looked of a lugged steel frame, but this option might indeed push
me way past my $3250.00 budget!
$3250.00 is plenty for a custom steel bike.
Look beyond the Vanilla's, Pegoretti's and other boutique names.
There are tons of custom builders out there that can build a frame
for much less.
Old 01-06-11, 06:09 PM
"Chooch"

Bikes: Late 1990s Ciocc Titan

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've owned lightweight lugged steel frames since 1974. I've tried aluminum and carbon fiber bikes, but wasn't overly impressed with the ride quality. The aluminum frames either felt like spaghetti (glued small-diameter tubing) or were harsh and unforgiving (Klein and early Cannondale). The carbon fiber bikes I've tried feel strangely "disconnected" from the road. I haven't ridden a TIG-welded steel frame. I've yet to ride any bike that matches the overall responsiveness/ride quality of my Ciocc.
Old 01-06-11, 06:33 PM
Designer

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Phantoj
steel = hype
100 year old hype! Long live carbon fiber!
/sarcasm/
Old 01-06-11, 07:25 PM

Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts

Hey,

Yes.... 953 is stainless and can be either silver brazed into lugs or it can be tig welded. Frankly I don't use it because it's stainless but instead I use it because it's so strong that it can be made very thin and thus very light. The fact that it's stainless is gravy to me.

It's a good material. I'm not 100% behind all the tubes they make with it and in particular chain and seat stays. I find the 953 chainstays to be too flexible for my tastes and the seat stays heavier than they need to be so I mix and match tubes to get the desired ride quality and behavior.

The comment made by someone in this thread stating "steel = hype" is pretty damn funny. I needed a good laugh today and this provided it. Thanks for that.

Dave
Old 01-06-11, 07:35 PM
Decrepit Member

Bikes: Waterford 953 RS-22, several Paramounts

Liked 72 Times in 60 Posts
Yes and yes! 953 is an incredible material.

Here's a recent silver brazed lugged polished 953 bike by Dave Wages.

my bikes

Science doesn't care what you believe.
Old 01-06-11, 10:22 PM

Bikes: 1994 Proctor Townsend Reynolds 753, TT S3 True North, Kona Major Jake, Kona Honky Tonk, Marinoni Puima, Cannondale BBU

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hey,

Thanks for the question.

Dave
TT S3 really lets you build a stupid-light steel frame; I know this because I had Hugh Black (True North Cycles) build me a TIG road frame with this tube set. Nicely enough, the bike isn't even close to a noodle and it fits a good deal better than my stock Marinoni Piuma, which is Columbus Spirit.

Dave, I am curious about tubing supplier reputations amongst frame builders. Who has the best out of the box tubes? Do you notice certain tube sets last longer than others?
Old 01-07-11, 05:39 AM

Bikes: Jamis Aurora, Fuji S10S (X2), Jamis Coda

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Hard to say.

I've had 4 steel bikes. One was passable. The others sucked.
Buying from Wal-Mart is not a good idea.
Old 01-07-11, 05:55 AM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Liked 674 Times in 514 Posts
Hard to say.

I've had 4 steel bikes. One was passable. The others sucked.
You can't count the Columbias and the Vista.
Old 01-07-11, 05:56 AM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Liked 674 Times in 514 Posts
Originally Posted by Scooper
Yes and yes! 953 is an incredible material.

Here's a recent silver brazed lugged polished 953 bike by Dave Wages.

I like that!
Old 01-07-11, 08:04 AM
Aluminium Crusader :-)

Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Yeah, $3250 is obviously a lot for a frame. Assuming you can ride off-the-shelf geometry, Gios, and other companies make steel frames that I'm pretty sure are much cheaper.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.