Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Repent your hipsterish ways! Confess for the good of your soul!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Repent your hipsterish ways! Confess for the good of your soul!

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-14, 06:00 AM

Bikes: Looking for a Baylis or Wizard in 59-62cm range

Liked 349 Times in 117 Posts
All you need is a neck beard and you will be a card carrying Hipster.
Old 02-09-14, 07:52 AM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Liked 601 Times in 314 Posts
When I want to escape the encroaching mobs of hipsters I put on the camo, grab a rifle and go hunting. There it seems I am far away from pencil pants, scarfs and fixies.
Old 02-09-14, 07:57 AM
Banned.

Liked 1,414 Times in 913 Posts
I listen to my son's music sometimes.

I have to be careful, because his roommate told him "we should get your Dad stoned some time."
Old 02-09-14, 11:04 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've worn plaid shirts for 40 years, have had beard since military discharge in 1978, I like Black Butte Porter, my bikes are vintage (two are 3 speeds, none fixed), I wear a bike shop baseball cap, bought my cloths new, weigh 250 lbs, and I'm a quasi-conservative. Guess I'm not a hipster. Tim
Old 02-09-14, 11:13 AM
All Campy All The Time

Bikes: Listed in my signature.

Liked 116 Times in 64 Posts
I've owned five Jaguar 4-door sedans, a 1962, 1989, 1992, 1993, and 2002, but currently prefer smallish 4WD pickups and SUV's that sit a little high (intimidation factor) and go where you point them. Somewhere in there I had a Subaru but found that Subarus don't like me and other drivers don't like Subarus.

I've got lots of vinyl LPs and a turntable stereo with Pioneer HP-100's.

My house is styled and decorated in what I call "1700's historic."

I prefer classic clothes and classic bikes, most of which I've owned since they were new.

I will drink any beer that's handed to me, but prefer lagers made with clean water (Colorado or Canada).

I confess I built a pretty nice fixie once, rode it, couldn't stop reaching for the gear lever that wasn't there, didn't like it, gave it to my son who didn't like it either and sold it. The guy who bought it was immensely strong and didn't know bikes should have gears; he loved it. Was he a hipster?
Old 02-09-14, 11:19 AM

Bikes: Yes.

Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts
I'm a historical reenactor, and there's sort of a convergent evolution between us and the hipster crowd. Outwardly, it takes many of the same forms, but our retro side tends to be much more focused on the era of our individual historical interest. Mustaches, when worn, aren't chosen strictly for ironic value, but for that all important value of period correctness. If it is counter to modern styles, all the better. Music, much the same. (Edith Piaf and Glen Miller, way too mainstream, BTW.) Many of us still use film cameras, but are far more likely to get excited by a nice PH-324 or a Leica III than a Holga or a Lomo. Typewriters, fountain pens, and vacuum tube radios - check.

In essence, we're the militant wing of the hipsters.
Old 02-09-14, 11:42 AM
Super Course fan

Location: Lost on the windswept plains of the Great Black Swamp
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I'm not a hipster. I don't look like a hipster, don't associate with hipsters.

They do like some cool stuff though.

I have the car, and steel bikes, and film cameras. But I collected all this stuff way before I knew what the hell a hipster was, so I'm safe.

Old 02-09-14, 12:48 PM
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Liked 3,486 Times in 1,979 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes

I have to be careful, because his roommate told him "we should get your Dad stoned some time."
Too late:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9zcLAUp5E0
Old 02-09-14, 02:15 PM

Bikes: Looking for a Baylis or Wizard in 59-62cm range

Liked 349 Times in 117 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes

"I learned it from watching you!!"
Old 02-09-14, 03:01 PM
Wood

Bikes: Raleigh Sports: hers. Vianelli Professional & Bridgestone 300: mine

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
If you have to show all this stuff to prove you are a hipster, then you are just a wanna-be.
Real hipsters just "are" they can't help it, or do they try to be one. It's that old "different drum" deal.

Now tell me about that Lagonda!
Old 02-09-14, 04:53 PM

Bikes: Too many 3-speeds, Jones Plus LWB

Liked 281 Times in 126 Posts
Y'all know, right, that hating on hipsters is a very hipster thing to do...

I can easily demonstrate how much better LPs are than CDs- however in other parts of the web that debate has raged since the inception of the Internet. We're *not* doing that here too are we??
Old 02-09-14, 05:13 PM

Liked 862 Times in 388 Posts
skinny jeans/pants have always made sense to me
Old 02-09-14, 06:45 PM

Liked 107 Times in 60 Posts
Color me hipster. I STILL want to build a copy of this bike, that I built, rode, and sold in the space of six months. It rode like a steamroller which is a good thing.,,,,BD

Yes, that's a vintage Shiner beer sticker as a headbadge.

Impractical old murdered out vehicle....check! Actually trying to sell this heap right now...

Cats, check.....!

Worked in a bike shop....check!

Old 02-09-14, 06:52 PM

As soon as it warms up a little more, I will probably go back to shaving my head, like the pic. I dunno if I will go back to wearing jeans and casual dress shoes with short socks. though.,,,,BD
Old 02-09-14, 06:59 PM
curmudgineer

Bikes: 2 many 2 fit here

Liked 112 Times in 70 Posts
I predict that this thread will single-handedly kill the hipster movement.
Old 02-09-14, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by old's'cool
Possibly, but doubtful.. It's hard to read these threads on a 2x3 inch screen in a dark urban bar.,,,,BD
Old 02-09-14, 07:22 PM
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Liked 134 Times in 99 Posts
Chillin'...

Old 02-09-14, 07:47 PM

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Liked 34 Times in 28 Posts
Back in college, almost all of the "serious" cyclists/racers in school were in the School of Architecture (As I was...)....... that kinda says it all.....
But you better be a fan of "modern rock" back then....
Old 02-09-14, 08:23 PM

Bikes: enough bikes to qualify for Hoarders......

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All the people complaining about hipsters sound like my grandparents complaining about hippies, etc....Insert rebellious youth from what ever era here______________
Old 02-09-14, 10:03 PM
ish

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by old's'cool
Everything in this thread is OVER!
Old 02-09-14, 10:50 PM
MIKE is my name!

Bikes: hans lutz, , puch mistral ultima,2x Austro Daimler Smoked chrome Ultima,Austro Daimler Mixte,Austro Daimler 531 mixte, flying arrow,F Moser,

Liked 21 Times in 5 Posts
last week it was icy/slushy, I spent the night w my hipster girlfriend in the hipster neighborhood of Mt Vernon in Baltimore...
in the morning I walked to my car thru this mucky slipper wet stuff,
when I got in the car and was driving away a small man or girl in a winter jacket rode past me with slick tires and fixed gear, no breaks or fenders.
I had to roll down the window and voice my opinion on their brain cell count..
just unreal how dangerous it is...
Old 02-09-14, 11:29 PM
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Liked 2,647 Times in 1,537 Posts
I didn't know having zillions of LP's makes a statement. We have almost a zillion, and we've been playing some lately.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 02-10-14, 06:16 AM

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
Hipsters? What's that?

I'm 63 years old. I've reached the point where I flat out do not understand the operation and need for some of today's technology.

I'd don't understand Twitter, other than it gives me daily notice of the broadcasts of that day's bicycle races. Facebook is great for keeping up with friends I haven't seen in years and has gotten me in touch with an incredible number of women I've slept with over the past forty years. They're still speaking to me. Other than that, absolutely none of these 'social media' things have made the slightest impression on me. Assuming I even have figured out what they are in the first place.

Music. Yes, I still play vinyl, as I finally got my college record collection out of the attic. I listen to: 1. Surf and car music of the early 60's, 2. First British Invasion, 3. Psychedelic, 4. GLAM ROCK (my true cultural basis), 5. Punk, 6. Second British Invasion, 7. METAL. I quit listening to any new music after Nirvana (feh! Kurt Cobain is the most overrated rock god in existence) came on the scene. Out of curiosity, I have listened to a few of the current female pop stars (Katy Perry, etc.). I'd much rather sleep with them than listen to their music, Lady GaGa being the only exception.

Bikes. I built fixies to sell to college students (ok, so I'm a *****). I owned two. They're kinda fun to ride, but I found out that the classic 3-speed roadster is a much superior bicycle for urban commuting. As of today, I own no fixies and five three speed roadsters (two are Maggie's). As far as I'm concerned, the only bike that deserves a bad Drewing is a Confente Masi.

Other vehicles. I've been into antique cars since back in the days when you didn't dare bring a hot rod, resto rod or modified car onto the show field, and a muscle car was something you bought new from the dealer. I appreciate a 6 cylinder Mustang or Camaro a lot more than a Boss 302 or Z28 - because they're a lot rarer anymore. Likewise motorcycles. I enjoy choppers, but still prefer a properly restored panhead Hydra Glide. I've ridden cafe racers since 1977 and am amused with the current style, although I am grateful that all those 70's Honda's are getting back on the road again.

Style. I wear my hair short because I can't be bothered with caring for it when its long. My last long hair was a mullet - five years ago. And I like the style. I couldn't begin to pick a hipster off on the street unless he's wearing one of those porkpie hats - it's become the equivalent of the beatnik's beret from the late 50's. And I don't have a clue what a hipster is, or about. And don't care to learn. I assume a lot of those kids on the Honda Civic coupe ads currently in rotation on Velocity are hipsters, although I couldn't tell you which ones, other than the guy driving the coupe an stroking his long beard. Besides, the only attractive ones in the ads are the three Goth chicks. Damn, they're hot.

Oh yeah, I was doing science fiction costuming for competition two decades before it became 'cosplay', and had dropped out of the hobby because my re-enactment business was taking up too much time and making me a profit. The cosplay stuff they show on the tube pales besides what was on the stage at the Los Angeles Worldcon in 1984 (LA Con II, aka "The Masquerade From Hell"). And we were doing it for a certificate that said 'you won', not television contracts and reality shows.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Last edited by sykerocker; 02-10-14 at 06:20 AM. Reason: Grammar
Old 02-10-14, 06:22 AM

Oh yes, car songs. Something that really just doesn't work anymore, as a modern thing. No one wants to buy music about a DOHC turbo 4 cylinder,,,,BD

My favorite car song....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iasYhEOJEFg

Next favorite. A "little bit" newer though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgee3FNiZY4

Last edited by Bikedued; 02-10-14 at 06:26 AM.
Old 02-10-14, 10:48 AM
Cisalpinist

Bikes: blue ones.

Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by David Newton
Now tell me about that Lagonda!
Hi Dave, I shot the pic at classic car dealer "The Gallery" in the small village of Brummen. It's a pretty impressive machine from the 1920's. I think they sold it, since I can't find it anymore in their online inventory, so I can't share any more pics

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.