Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Do you meet people on the street?

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Do you meet people on the street?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-14, 06:12 AM

Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Do you meet people on the street? (Reply, part 2):

I do actively try to meet people on the street, particularly other cyclists, and in the past I have tried this strategy:

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I am a year-round cyclist in Boston, and an enthusiastic subscriber to Bike Forums. We seem to have a lot of Forum members around here. Whenever I'm out on the road and encounter a serious-appearing cyclist, hoping to meet a fellow BF subscriber, I try to inquire if they are on the Forums, and if not, I try to introduce it to them. Often these encounters are brief, and the best I can do beyond a quick explanation, is to give them the URL (“BikeForums [one word, emphasis on plural] dot net” [emphasis on net].)

I was thinking about making a little business type card, 3.5 x 2 inches, to hand out for their further consideration [see photo below].

I chose the Forums listed to demonstrate and appeal to a wide range of interests, and as self-explanatory by title. Any comments or suggestions?
Originally Posted by Machka
I'm not at all sure about handing out business cards like that ... they remind me a bit too much of the soliciting that goes on in airports, or around places like the Eiffel Tower in Paris.

Originally Posted by billyymc
See? Have you ever been approached out of the blue, out in public, by someone like that? I have. It's weird. Especially if they hand you materials to read. Like a laminated card. Or they are having a normal conversation with you then they spring "Jesus loves you" on you out of nowhere.

If someone has interest in reading about cycling online, they will eventually find BF.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
BF Greeting card.jpg (4.8 KB, 45 views)

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 06-14-14 at 06:22 AM.
Old 06-15-14, 07:16 AM
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Finally, when I encounter a certain morning runner approacing in the opposite direction, I know it’s going to be a good day. One day as I was riding in the opposite of my normal direction I rode along side her and we exchanged real names. However, she is still known to me as the “Fleet Goddess.”
I was thinking about making a little business type card, 3.5 x 2 inches, to hand out for their further consideration [see photo below].
I'd say forget the cards... unless you are selling insurance.

If you exchanged real names, you have enough information to look her up on Facebook and send a friend request.

To other cyclists, you can also recommend they show up at an event you regularly attend (assuming you attend any event with any regularity).
Old 06-16-14, 11:44 AM

Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by gerv
I'd say forget the cards... unless you are selling insurance.

To other cyclists, you can also recommend they show up at an event you regularly attend (assuming you attend any event with any regularity).
Thanks for your reply. I still hand out those cards, though usually in social situations when I meet another interested cyclist. I keep them in a case with with own personal business cards. I don't use them as a solicitation, but rather as an exchange of information, and even a social exchange. Just last week for example, I met and had dinner with three professional colleagues and we exchanged business cards, with nothing to sell each other except the pleasure of our company.

BTW, the text on the front side of the card is:

"Nice meeting you today. I’d like to mention a website you might find interesting called BIKEFORUMS.NET. It’s an E-Forum devoted to many varied aspects of bicycling that you can read without subscribing, or subscribe for free. For a list of some of the special interest Forums, SEE OTHER SIDE.

“My user name is Jim from Boston, and I have no financial or other relations to BIKEFORUMS.NET except as a subscriber. If you join view my Profile and post a Visitor Message. I have over 2,000 posts, and some have well over 20,000.”

My busy schedule affords little opportunity to do organized rides, but I have participated in three of five previous Annual Bikeforums Fifty-Plus Forum Rides, and I intend to do so this year.

Originally Posted by gerv
…If you exchanged real names, you have enough information to look her up on Facebook and send a friend request.
We only exchanged first names, to be pleasant. I prefer to admire her from afar.
Old 06-16-14, 12:30 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Organized bike rides are the best way to meet other cyclists. However, when tying up my bike at work, the library, the grocery, etc, it's pretty easy to start a conversation with other cyclists. When I got my folding bike 8-9 years ago, I found there was a big increase in other people starting a chat about my bike. However, it doesn't compare to having a dog, a much more efficacious conversation-starter. Over the weekend I was walking with a friend and his Scottish terrier, and I couldn't believe the number of people who came up to us.
Old 06-17-14, 06:08 AM

Bikes: Trek Domane 2.0, Trek 3700

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been bike commuting in Japan for 7 months and the bike scene is alive and well here. I usually say good morning to the same bike commuters I see each day. Although there is a slight language barrier at times most cyclists in Japan seem supportive of each other.
Old 06-17-14, 03:26 PM
Sophomoric Member

Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by JTriumph
Organized bike rides are the best way to meet other cyclists. However, when tying up my bike at work, the library, the grocery, etc, it's pretty easy to start a conversation with other cyclists. When I got my folding bike 8-9 years ago, I found there was a big increase in other people starting a chat about my bike. However, it doesn't compare to having a dog, a much more efficacious conversation-starter. Over the weekend I was walking with a friend and his Scottish terrier, and I couldn't believe the number of people who came up to us.
I like small talk with other cyclists in the bike parking area. They're the only ones who understand that a 20 mph head wind is not a "nice breeze".

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 06-17-14, 03:48 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Like TrekNerd, I'll say good morning to walkers or the occasional biker on the path that is the main section of my work commute. On the short stretch of busy 2-lane road on the edge of town (Princeton, NJ) that I am obliged to take on my way, I will wave or give a thumbs up to commuters going the opposite way, and they generally wave back. It's funny, on the weekend on this same stretch of road, the recreational riders on expensive road bikes are decidedly less friendly than the commuters and may or may not wave back. In town, weekday or weekend, there are far too may cyclists for acknowledging each other while moving, and conversations only start when stopped and locking the bike up.

While on business in in Chicago the other week, I rented a Divvy bike (bike share). While stopped at a light to make a left, the driver of a truck in the right lane rolled down his window to ask me about the system. Before the light turned, I was able to explain to him about the $7 daily fee, the unlimited 30 minute rides, the annual membership option, the app to find bike stations, etc. This is my first conversation with a stranger while still on my bike in some time (and a friendly one with a motorist!). In general I was impressed with Chicago's bike sharing system and with the respect that cyclists are getting on the streets there.

Last edited by JTriumph; 06-17-14 at 07:33 PM.
Old 06-17-14, 04:37 PM
Sophomoric Member

Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by JTriumph
... It's funny, on the weekend on this same stretch of road, the recreational riders on expensive road bikes are decidedly less friendly than the commuters and may or may not wave back...
There's a stereotype (often seen on BF) that road bike users are either too cool or too in-the-zone to wave to mere mortals. A slight nod of the head is the most you can expect...

(just a friendly ribbing, please don't take offense)

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 06-17-14, 05:16 PM
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
There's a stereotype (often seen on BF) that road bike users are either too cool or too in-the-zone to wave to mere mortals. A slight nod of the head is the most you can expect...

I agree. Some roadies are very friendly. Others not so much.

Funny that I ran into a roadie friend the other day who complained that he greeted me 3 times on a bike trail w/o getting a response from me.

So perhaps the bagger Freds aren't all that friendly either...
Old 06-17-14, 07:31 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

No offense taken, and I intended a friendly ribbing but not to give offense myself.

Some more gentle ribbing: Another observation is that commuters tend to ride in upright position and can take in the view or make eye contact and often are smiling. Riders in a more aggressive riding position look, well, a bit more aggressive if not in extreme pain and seem to be taking in a great view of the potholes. For my part, I am riding in a rather upright position and take in the view and can make eye contact; however, I do admit that I probably look like I'm in pain. :-)
Old 06-17-14, 07:34 PM
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Liked 601 Times in 332 Posts

We're often too busy focusing on the traffic, dodging potholes, etc. ... plus the slight nod is as much a full-fledged wave as the low extension of the hand you'll get from motorcyclists.
Old 06-17-14, 07:41 PM
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Liked 601 Times in 332 Posts
I don't meet or chat to people much when I'm cycling or walking. Generally, I prefer to be left alone when I'm doing things like that. It's my time to get away from the computer, phone, other technology, and people ... and if I am with Rowan and if it is safe to do so, we'll ride side by side and talk. Same with working out at the gym ... I don't want to chat to everyone, I want to put my earbuds in and quietly do my own thing.

However, since I've started riding the bus again over the past few months, I will meet and chat to people there. There's a nice group of people riding the bus in the mornings.